Stan Lee's opinion about Hulk vs Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DevilGoblin
In Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine Oct 2006 issues, Stan Lee was asked his opinion about Hulk vs Superman and this is what he wrote, "If I wrote the story, I guarantee the Hulk would win. The way I established the Hulk, the more he fought, the stronger he got. And Superman has a certain amount of strength and thats it. I assume at some point he'll get worn out, but never the Hulk."

sorry laughing out loud

Tha C-Master
Poor Stan... just shows writers bias that fanboys don't like to admit... erm

trolly_crouchjr
Post the scan or ill take it as no proof

Sam Z
laughing out loud Way to go Stan.
He simply supports his character and there is nothing wrong with that.

harri
this is pretty stupid no expression

V for Valentine
Says the man who makes "venom is 60-80 tons" thread in the versus forum. no expression

harri
wat? dont be rude your so horrible it is a vs forum were you discuss mad

harri
i only said pretty stupid

Mindship
It makes sense, actually, if you limit Superman to just his strength and invulnerability. Same thing with Thor. Hulk should be "strongest one there is" (otherwise, what's the point of having a Hulk? It's like with the Flash: if Superman were faster, why have a Flash?).

Thing is, though they are usually written using very few of their abilities, if Superman or Thor fought Hulk using all their potential, then Hulk ought to lose.

jrodslam
"And Superman has a certain amount of strength and thats it."

Too bad that limit is unknown. Secondly, Stan would only hope that a fight between the two would last long enough for Hulk to actually become stronger than Supes. He knows as well as most know that Supes would defeat Hulk before his strength level even becomes a serious threat.

Ultraman Baltan
Originally posted by harri
wat? dont be rude your so horrible it is a vs forum were you discuss mad

And this is discussion. So what's the problem?

Ultraman Baltan
Thor has lost to Hulk before, and about Superman? I can't stand the guy, but I vote Supes.

breeze85
I agree that Hulk can certainly become stronger than Superman. What I don't agree with is Hulk being able to beat Superman when they go all out.

Tha C-Master
Supes is known to absorb more sunlight in dire situations, so that point is moot now about Hulk being the only one getting stronger.

DigiMark007
Guys, as much as I love Stan (and I do) and he's also incredibly respected and all, any of us are probably more versed in these characters' continuity than he is. The characters have gone beyond just Stan because 100's of other writers and artists have contributed to them by now.

Stan, or any writer really, is simply another opinion to the subject. Albeit, his is an incredibly important and respected opinion, but it's hardly canon for Stan to say that Hulk would beat Superman.

Stan also said years ago that Thor was the strongest character he ever wrote for....though there was some controversy over the word "strong" (did he mean lifting strength or simply overall power?). So even his story can change.

Dinalfos
Originally posted by breeze85
I agree that Hulk can certainly become stronger than Superman. What I don't agree with is Hulk being able to beat Superman when they go all out.

Ain't that the truth.

Bol Gath
All out fight supes would own Hulk. But in a pure slugfest (ala blow for blow) Supes would be "smashed".

juggernaut66666
Originally posted by DevilGoblin
In Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine Oct 2006 issues, Stan Lee was asked his opinion about Hulk vs Superman and this is what he wrote, "If I wrote the story, I guarantee the Hulk would win. The way I established the Hulk, the more he fought, the stronger he got. And Superman has a certain amount of strength and thats it. I assume at some point he'll get worn out, but never the Hulk."

sorry laughing out loud
No comment no expression

ExodusCloak
I'd like to see Stan Lee vs Chris Claremont in a death match...

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Guys, as much as I love Stan (and I do) and he's also incredibly respected and all, any of us are probably more versed in these characters' continuity than he is. The characters have gone beyond just Stan because 100's of other writers and artists have contributed to them by now.

Stan, or any writer really, is simply another opinion to the subject. Albeit, his is an incredibly important and respected opinion, but it's hardly canon for Stan to say that Hulk would beat Superman.

Stan also said years ago that Thor was the strongest character he ever wrote for....though there was some controversy over the word "strong" (did he mean lifting strength or simply overall power?). So even his story can change. I agree.

MattDay

Stan also said years ago that Thor was the strongest character he ever wrote for....though there was some controversy over the word "strong" (did he mean lifting strength or simply overall power?). So even his story can change.

i agree with most but power is different to strength, educate yourself in understanding what each word really means... and for strength, who can say who's stronger when they both get stronger and havent reached a limit yet! But for consistant strength superman is higher to start with, so that's the answer folks.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by MattDay
i agree with most but power is different to strength, educate yourself in understanding what each word really means... and for strength, who can say who's stronger when they both get stronger and havent reached a limit yet! But for consistant strength superman is higher to start with, so that's the answer folks.

educate myself?

Um, I know the difference. What I was saying is that Stan (in the old interview) was using the term "stronger" but the way he was describing it, it sounded like he was talking in terms of overall power, not just pure strength. Thus, the confusion.

magneto1992
Sometimes when you get old you start to say things that are some kind stupid. My respects for Stan Lee, I mean he is like supercool, but I think that he doesn't reed DC that much. and by the way about Stan Leehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAXd3VSeqw

Rewmac
In that point no one can bea the Hulk...Ooohh except Thanos pimp slapped him big grin

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by MattDay

Yeah... Digi knows the difference, and was simply questioning whether he was reffering to power or strength. Don't presume that someone's said something stupid unless you fully understand what they're saying

jrodslam
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Supes is known to absorb more sunlight in dire situations, so that point is moot now about Hulk being the only one getting stronger.

I agree.

thedude1948
There isnt anything wrong with what Stan said.

Hulk can beat Superman for sure. In a comic book.

inamilist
educate myself?

Um, I know the difference. What I was saying is that Stan (in the old interview) was using the term "stronger" but the way he was describing it, it sounded like he was talking in terms of overall power, not just pure strength. Thus, the confusion.

lol

you should have told him to check his tone

then respect your authoritah

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Bol Gath
All out fight supes would own Hulk. But in a pure slugfest (ala blow for blow) Supes would be "smashed". eek!

hitemup
all of this does not matter. what stan says does not matter. the point is superman beat the hulk and thats that.

batdude123
I say this with the upmost respect for Stan Lee, but as of right now, he knows absolutely shit about comics. He's only focused on his own era of writing. And in that sense, Hulk of that time would have gotten the crap beat out of him by Pre-Crisis Superman.

bigbran

sorry laughing out loud Profiled.

Validus
educate myself?

Didn't Stan write the comic where Thor stalemated Savage Hulk physically for an hour? Stan's Thor was pretty much a monster.

pr1983

sorry laughing out loud

There isn't a man in comic books i have more respect for than stan lee, but seriously, he's talking out of his ass...

Faceman
Originally posted by inamilist
lol

you should have told him to check his tone

then respect your authoritah Maybe he has some deep hatred for mods, and tried to take it out on Digi....

xmeat
STANS THE MAN thumb up

xmeat
Originally posted by batdude123
I say this with the upmost respect for Stan Lee, but as of right now, he knows absolutely shit about comics. He's only focused on his own era of writing. And in that sense, Hulk of that time would have gotten the crap beat out of him by Pre-Crisis Superman. HULK DID WELL AGAINST PRE CRISIS SUPES. SO PLEASE GET LOST STAN LEE THE COMIC GOD SO I'LL TAKE HIS WORD. big grin

emporerpants
so xmeat, does stan know everything about DC as well? i have lots of respect from stan, but as others have mentioned, he doesn't know whats happening in comics anymore.

Supra
Its too hard to tell who would win

guy222

sorry laughing out loud

Stan Lee is God. Word up, Stan

janus77
at the very least it confirms something a lot of people here wish to deny. and that is that The Hulk, was created to be "the strongest one there is".

he is the personification of overcoming strength, whatever the endeavour, he has the strength to rise to it and rise above it...

except Stan never came up with Superman and the guys at DC obviously lost any and all touch with good writing and instead became messianically driven to make Superman truly super, rather than just leave the super as quaint 30s hyperbole. so Superman's strength, though initially not all that impressive, has now got this amping quality to it too (though I doubt it increases over the course of a fight, doesn't he need to sundip or whatever), so if Hulk's got ahold of Superman, there's every reason why, he should be able to tear him apart...

anyway, the simplest way to see it is that Hulk could not catch Superman if he's flying in near earth orbit, but superman could heatvision him, could chuck asteroids at him and consider all manner of ineffective attacks (as Hulk would be resilient to them all - durability shoots through the stratosphere as his blood boils up).

so ... most likely a stalemate or a bfr victory for Superman.

Dinalfos
Come on, this is Stan Lee we're talking about. He's a great guy, but anyone who's ever asked him a question (concerning comic book characters) will know that he almost never gives any real answers. He just doesn't take comic books as seriously as we do, so he's under the impression that giving a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek answer is more than enough.

janus77
he's right and we's wrong.
comics are lighthearted, nonsensical entertainment.

Dinalfos
Yes, but comic book fans tend to be VERY serious about their nonsense.

golem370
Didn't Stan Lee also say he thought Thor would be stronger or more powerful then Hulk.

Magee
What does Stan Lee know about Superman? Hell what does he even know about the hulk of today? To take that quote as indisputable evidence for Hulk beating Superman would be retarded, to say the least. But hey, desperate fanboys will look for anything to back up their opinion.

HULKSTER04
accept it guys, HULK wins no question!

bean_machine
Originally posted by HULKSTER04
accept it guys, HULK wins no question!

LMAO. No there is just no way no. laughing laughing laughing

D-Block
Originally posted by Mindship
It makes sense, actually, if you limit Superman to just his strength and invulnerability. Same thing with Thor. Hulk should be "strongest one there is" (otherwise, what's the point of having a Hulk? It's like with the Flash: if Superman were faster, why have a Flash?).

Thing is, though they are usually written using very few of their abilities, if Superman or Thor fought Hulk using all their potential, then Hulk ought to lose.

I agree if Thor and Supes use all their abilities in a fight against Hulk they'll win 10/10.

horrorwolf
I back Stan on this, But thats in a straight fist fight in a confined area. Have no doubt, Hulk would outlast, and eventually beat the living hell of out Superman. But this would be the stupid way for Superman to take Hulk on...which is similar to how he died fighting Doomsday.

However in an open environment - Superman has other useful abilities. He could pull off victories.
Mobility via flight, given sufficent space to pick up any amount of speed, get recharged by taking sundips...I could go on... One of the reasons I consider Superman weaker than he could be is that he fails to do the smart thing with his abilities and is often made quite retarded in thinking...depending on the writer. Superman is SO inconsistant in his feats and ability scale - its annoying.

I dont really get the whole Superman vs Hulk thing though. Hulk is the strongest one there is, But Superman is more of a total package as far as superpowers go (Dispite the fact that most wouldnt really harm Hulk)

The fact is these two would never "fight" as it makes no sense for either and there is no motivation. The are generally considered "good guys"

ExtraMision5555
Stan lee created hulk, and with that in mind, im sure stan lee knows what hulks original intent was. From a creative standpoint, i dont disagree with him. Itd be better if the creater of superman voiced his opinion as well

Batman-Prime
Hulk is Marvels property, Marvel was Stans baby, I'm not surprised he votes for the Hulk. Would Superman be Stans creation he would surely be the winner in Stans mind. Anyway, maybe Stan was talking about the "Imagine Stan Lees Superman" big grin.

Magee
Hulk wins in a pure h2h fight because Marvel labels him the strongest there is? Show me one thing Hulk has done that Superman could not.

Ptr_Grifin
Maybe Hulk could be the first incarnation of Superman. That version couldn't even fly.

horrorwolf
Originally posted by Magee
Hulk wins in a pure h2h fight because Marvel labels him the strongest there is? Show me one thing Hulk has done that Superman could not.

Hulk - documented exponentially unlimited strength. Powered by and drawn from an extradimensional source. Speculated to have strength as unlimited as the universe itself.

Superman - unknown limit but definitely finite and uses stored solar energy from the sun...Kryptononians are as powerful as they are in vinicinity to the earths sun.

juggernaut66666
Originally posted by horrorwolf
Hulk - documented exponentially unlimited strength. Powered by and drawn from an interdimensional source. Speculated to be potentially as powerful as the universe itself.
crylaugh

horrorwolf
Originally posted by juggernaut66666
crylaugh

yawn It from Marvel documentation. It may be lame or whatever, but its how he is classified.

Then you have the fact that he is near-invulnerable WITH a healing factor stronger than wolverines.

On top of that he is stated to be able to boost his regeneration speed and durability when angered.

starlock
Originally posted by horrorwolf
I back Stan on this, But thats in a straight fist fight in a confined area. Have no doubt, Hulk would outlast, and eventually beat the living hell of out Superman. But this would be the stupid way for Superman to take Hulk on...which is similar to how he died fighting Doomsday.

However in an open environment - Superman has other useful abilities. He could pull off victories.
Mobility via flight, given sufficent space to pick up any amount of speed, get recharged by taking sundips...I could go on... One of the reasons I consider Superman weaker than he could be is that he fails to do the smart thing with his abilities and is often made quite retarded in thinking...depending on the writer. Superman is SO inconsistant in his feats and ability scale - its annoying.

I dont really get the whole Superman vs Hulk thing though. Hulk is the strongest one there is, But Superman is more of a total package as far as superpowers go (Dispite the fact that most wouldnt really harm Hulk)

The fact is these two would never "fight" as it makes no sense for either and there is no motivation. The are generally considered "good guys"

i think this is a fair line of thought cool

steverules
Next issue we have Stan Lee's opinion on, Aunt May vs Superman

"Aunt may would use her flying powers and super strength to bring superman down."

Redatom65
funny how he's said other things regarding th fight. And He said Thor beats Superman

horrorwolf
Originally posted by Redatom65
funny how he's said other things regarding th fight. And He said Thor beats Superman

Unless this is somehow based on considerations made about Superman's weaknesses to Lightning and Magic(Mjilnor).. I dont see Superman losing to Thor.

Redatom65
no i meant. Stan Lee's said otherwise in the past. he's said Superman can beat thor and He's said Thor can beat him too

horrorwolf
Ah...well I could see that happening, as these characters have so many versions.

Pineapple Thing, OG non-flying Superman, Redsun Gambit, Pink Batman.....sigh....

Redatom65
didn't they try to pass pink batman as red batman? laughing

steverules
Yes they did

xmeat
stan knows more about huc than any of you.
You guys make it seem like you invented the damn character if anyone knows what huc is truly capable of its stan.

Nikkolas
Stan Lee is The Man.

Kirby was The King...then he went back to DC.

I can see why Stan may dislike DC. His partner-in-supreme comics creation lost his nuts, created a terrible villain and generally lost all of what made him The King.

Thankfully, more recent authors have wrote that terrible villain to his proportions so we can all properly laugh at his weak he is.

What Stan says is Law. Get over it.

Until you do 1/100th of what Stan has doen for comics, you can't talk.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.