Microsoft Vista

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
A new version of windows is comming out next year called Microsoft Vista . Its gonna be better then Windows XP big grin

Mišt
Have you seen the system requirements for it? Kiss that goodbye.

Kaithen
First, the name is "Windows vista". Second, its hard to tell that its better than XP cause you never tried it.

Of course i think its going to be better, and the requiments arent special, i mean... My computer can handle it and it is 3 years old :P

H. S. 6
I'll probably wait a year or two until I upgrade. Let them get all the bugs out.

Smasandian
It's going to be better in terms of computer gaming. The much herelded Direct 10 looks very interesting.

I also heared its going to be alot easier in terms of all computer gaming, like installing and uninstalling. It's suppose to be a very friendly gaming platform. Probably going to pick it up when I get a direct 10 videocard.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Smasandian
It's going to be better in terms of computer gaming. The much herelded Direct 10 looks very interesting.

I also heared its going to be alot easier in terms of all computer gaming, like installing and uninstalling. It's suppose to be a very friendly gaming platform. Probably going to pick it up when I get a direct 10 videocard.

ditto. I'm pretty interested in vista also... what cards support Dx10 btw?

InnerRise
I know nothing about which video cards to get and how to upgrade and all that stuff, and since I happen to own a Laptop that won't upgrade in other ways, I don't play hardly any PC games on it.
I know nothing about requirements. I am lost to the world and lost to Vista.

What am I to do?

sadwalk

is it COMPREHENSIBLE.....

General Kaliero
Vista certainly looks interesting. Management of windows and programs looks FAR smoother, and being an artist I love the translucent window borders.

For anyone interested, Microsoft is currently offering a free download of an .iso file for the Vista beta. Just make sure you have a blank DVD and a DVD burner for the .iso, and a full backup of your current OS setup, in case you need to switch back.

I have the .iso downloaded to my computer, but no DVDs, so I don't have personal experience with Vista, but regardless I would suggest that everyone wait until Vista's "Service Pack 2" is released for whatever hidden massive error the first version of Vista has.

Smasandian
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
ditto. I'm pretty interested in vista also... what cards support Dx10 btw?

Not out yet. I think ATI and Nvidea both are coming out with one.

But by the time Vista hits and when XP will come obselete, it will be years. So, Im going for the non dx10 cards after they come out because the crazy ones right now will be cheaper.

BackFire
I think Dx 10 compatable video cards are supposed to be out around the end of the year, just in time for xmas. I'm not sure if it's been announced officially or not, though.

Lana
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Vista certainly looks interesting. Management of windows and programs looks FAR smoother, and being an artist I love the translucent window borders.

For anyone interested, Microsoft is currently offering a free download of an .iso file for the Vista beta. Just make sure you have a blank DVD and a DVD burner for the .iso, and a full backup of your current OS setup, in case you need to switch back.

I have the .iso downloaded to my computer, but no DVDs, so I don't have personal experience with Vista, but regardless I would suggest that everyone wait until Vista's "Service Pack 2" is released for whatever hidden massive error the first version of Vista has.

There are programs that allow you to extract ISOs without burning them.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Lana
There are programs that allow you to extract ISOs without burning them.

Well sure, but

1. I need to make some backup discs, and I'm lazy.

2. Why endanger my own comp when I can have pawns - I mean, FRIENDS - who can do it and tell me the results?

Oh, and my computer, which I bought only a couple months ago, was proclaimed "Vista capable" which I assume means it has the capacity to switch over to Vista, including Dx 10 support.

Lana
That works laughing out loud

I'm planning on building myself a new computer this winter. Now this makes me wonder if I should just go ahead as planned, or wait a bit for the Dx 10 compatible cards come out.

Though honestly, I wouldn't trust an OS that's just come out. Yay bugs and huge security holes!

BackFire
Would be a good idea to wait until next year to make a new computer. If for no other reason than because of new CPU's and the next gen video cards.

Smasandian
I dont have that luxury. My computer cant play games anymore because of the videocard, and there is no reason to buy another agp videocard nowadays without upgrading to PCI Express, so Im thinking of going to IBM Dual Core processors and the non dx10 card for the next couple of years, and then when Vista and all those bugs and stuff work themselves out, then get an dx10 card.

Lana
Originally posted by BackFire
Would be a good idea to wait until next year to make a new computer. If for no other reason than because of new CPU's and the next gen video cards.

My PC was obselete when I got it 2 years ago...it desperately needs to be replaced. I can live without the most top of the line stuff, if simply for the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway stick out tongue

JKozzy
I'm part of the Microsoft Consumer Vista program or whatever the hell it's called. Got myself RC1 of Vista... aside from the whole lack of support for my sound card, it's a nice OS. I'd be able to judge more if I used it more. Lack of sound is a bit of a turn-off for me at the moment. I have noticed that there are also plenty of other compatibility issues at this point in time. RC2 should be available within the next week or two, however. I'm hoping there's support for me there.

Darth Kreiger
Doesn't this system tell Windows everything you're doing, and therefore an infringement of Privacy?

BackFire
Originally posted by Lana
My PC was obselete when I got it 2 years ago...it desperately needs to be replaced. I can live without the most top of the line stuff, if simply for the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway stick out tongue

Ah, well still would be a good idea to wait as long as possible, because once the next generation of video cards/CPU's come along the current ones will drop in price.

Are you planning on using hte computer for games? if so, which ones?

Lana
Originally posted by BackFire
Ah, well still would be a good idea to wait as long as possible, because once the next generation of video cards/CPU's come along the current ones will drop in price.

Are you planning on using hte computer for games? if so, which ones?

I don't actually play PC games all that much...Ragnarok, and Ush got me to play Uru, but that's about it. Maybe Bioshock but I can't see being able to play that game by myself (System Shock 2 scared the shit out of me and from what I've seen of Bioshock...yeah, creepy as hell). I use my computer more for Photoshop and stuff like that.

Barker
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I'll probably wait a year or two until I upgrade. Let them get all the bugs out.

coolmovies
I still have xp on my computer

El_NINO
I will not get this right away because

1) New OS' usually have plenty of Bugs

2) Security Holes: Even to this day MS doesnt know how many XP has and with VISTA being an open-ended OS now, who knows what will happen.

3) Im not a graphics whore plain and simple, plus you would need to have 1 GB RAM, plenty of HDD space and a decent graphics card with directX 10.

4) Windows XP is by far their best OS to date and it will stand the test of time.

I will wait a while before thinking of getting Vista, it took me 3 years after XP came out for me to get my hands on it, that is to say I finally caught up to technology.

coolmovies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.