Why doesn't jack know what he wants?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

aniron
why doesn't he want to go to the heart? why doesn't he know what he wants? the compass is a bit unreliable then really isn't it? confused

LovelyOne
No Tia says to him "aye Jack sparrow does not know what he want..or do know, but are loath(afraid) to claim it for your own"

He knows he wants Elizabeth.

Here is what Ted Elliot (one of the writers) said about the compass:

"The reason we included the "Why is the rum always gone?" line was not just as a callback to the first movie; it was intended to remind audiences of the specific circumstances that it referenced, and so act as a cue to what Jack had on his mind: the woman who he was first attracted to and then infuriated with (or: the woman who Jack never would have been infuriated with if he had not been attracted to).

So, the deal with compass: Jack simultaneously wanted Elizabeth and wanted to be as far from Elizabeth as possible. Whichever of those he wanted most would cause him to immediately want the other more ... so the compass would not settle, swinging between "Port Royal" and "antipode of Port Royal" (which is sort-of-but-not-quite Singapore, btw).

(There was much debate about whether, in the first scene aboard the Pearl, to show the compass pointing in a specific direction and have Jack set course in the opposite direction, or to show it as it is in the movie. I think the first would have made it more clear to the audience that something weird was going on with Jack ("he's not going where the compass points? What's up with that?"wink, but the second is actually more demonstrative of his emotional state)(at least, that was the theory)."

Mistypirate
Aniron, I hope your question was answer laughing out loud

aniron
not really. Jack was searching for the chest. He went into that prison to get the key. that was his mission. he wants to live. so why didn't he want to go to the chest? tia says Jack doesn't know what he wants. well eiter he wanted the chest or he didn't! he used elizabeth i order to get to the chest. y didn't he want to go to the chest? does he have an involvment with the woman davvy fell for? NOW I LIKE THAT IDEA!

LovelyOne
yeah but the compass wasnt showing him the llocation to the chest meaning thats not what he realy wanted most

the compass shows you what you want most in the world..and it wasnt the chest...otherwise he wouldnt even need the drawing of the key..had the compass been working and not pointing at Liz it would have shown him the location to the real key.

thats not his true mission..his mission is gaining elizabeth.

why would he be loath (worried) to gain the chest if that was what he wanted the most and was his true mission?..A hero never sets off willingly on their quest..they need guidance from the mentor/supernatural helper..and Tia is the mentor/supernatural helper of the story..she didnt help him gain the chest/heart..she actually lead him straight to Elizabeth and how to gain Elizabeth

as Naomi Harris says:

"my character has the ability to look into peoples true hearts and true desires"

she knew he wants Elizabeth more than the chest

Lord of the rings for example..Frodo doesnt set off willingly on the quest..he needs the mentor/supernatural helper to give him a shove (Gandalf)

Again Star Wars. Luke doesnt want to set off on a quest until obi wan pushes him to

The Lion King, simba doesnt want to be brave and save pride rock until Rafiki gives him that all important shove.

Jack was searching for the chest before he even had that shove..meaning its not his true mission.

aniron
then why didn't tia say "jack sparrow doesn't know what he wants most?" she says "he does no know what he wants" that means AT ALL! seriously the 2nd movie was not based on them getting together, it's just a fraction. if this thread is going to another j/l obsessed convo I'l report it to be shut down right now! there are to many! we get the picture! you want to get together! just wait and see what happens! stop reading into everything! e.g did anyone notice how the cloud behind J looked like the letter E? fir crying out loud! *faints*

LovelyOne
NO she says "your compass that you barterd from me cant lead you to the chest?"

Jack - "maybe why?"

"AYEE Jack sparrow does not know what he WANT..or DO KNOW but are loath (AFRAID) to claim it as your own)

meaning its not the ****ing CHEST he's after

and If iJack's arc is not gaining Elizabeth then why the flying **** did Ted Elliot the WRITER of the movie say THIS:

Box Office Mojo: What is the meaning of the series?
Ted Elliott: It's a study of what is a pirate. How free can you really be? What are those trade-offs? Jack kind of represents the ultimate free man? he really has no obligations to anybody, and, obviously, if you make an obligation to somebody, you're limiting your own freedom. But, if you're not willing to limit your own freedom, you can't have those relationships. If you look at Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest from that point of view, you kind of see what really leads to Jack's ultimate fate and why Elizabeth does what she does.

AND THIS:

"The reason we included the "Why is the rum always gone?" line was not just as a callback to the first movie; it was intended to remind audiences of the specific circumstances that it referenced, and so act as a cue to what Jack had on his mind: the woman who he was first attracted to and then infuriated with (or: the woman who Jack never would have been infuriated with if he had not been attracted to).

So, the deal with compass: Jack simultaneously wanted Elizabeth and wanted to be as far from Elizabeth as possible. Whichever of those he wanted most would cause him to immediately want the other more ... so the compass would not settle, swinging between "Port Royal" and "antipode of Port Royal" (which is sort-of-but-not-quite Singapore, btw).

(There was much debate about whether, in the first scene aboard the Pearl, to show the compass pointing in a specific direction and have Jack set course in the opposite direction, or to show it as it is in the movie. I think the first would have made it more clear to the audience that something weird was going on with Jack ("he's not going where the compass points? What's up with that?"wink, but the second is actually more demonstrative of his emotional state)(at least, that was the theory)."

aniron
meaning he's scared of the chest! But why! I actually think i'm on to somthing! Jack must have something to do with the woman davvy loved. after all he does talk about her to davvy at one point! he knows that a woman is his weakness! UREAKA LOVELYONE! WE'VE FOUND SOMETHING!

LovelyOne
EDIT - removed

LovelyOne
you are ignoring the evidence I'm posting from Ted Elliots own words about what Jack is doing in DMC..he's afraid to claim Elizabeth as his own:

Ted Elliott: It's a study of what is a pirate. How free can you really be? What are those trade-offs? Jack kind of represents the ultimate free man? he really has no obligations to anybody, and, obviously, if you make an obligation to somebody, you're limiting your own freedom. But, if you're not willing to limit your own freedom, you can't have those relationships. If you look at Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest from that point of view, you kind of see what really leads to Jack's ultimate fate and why Elizabeth does what she does.

AND THIS:

TED ELLIOT is one of the writers of the movie

aniron
Jack sparrow? afraid? of claiming a woman! now i wonder why?!!!!! HE HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH DAVVY'S WOMAN!!!!!!! OH MY GOD! WE HAVE SO COME ACROSS SOMETHING HERE! And by the way. elizabeth has actually got nothing to do with them going to see tia. Jack was going about the business when WILL comes back into his life. and Jack doesn't care where elizabeth is! I KNOW WE'VE HIT SOMETHING HERE! DEFINATLY. JACK IS INVOLVED WITH DAVVY'S WOMAN. WHY ELSE WOULD HE SHOVE ELIZABETH OUT OF THE WAY TO GET TO THE CHEST WHEN SHE WAS SITTING ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!! *faints* by jove i think we've got it.

LovelyOne
DAVYS WOMAN IS TIA..he's afraid of claiming a woman because ts not just SEX this time its somethign deeper..

AND I DONT REMEMBER HIM CLAIMING DAVYS WOMAN AT THE END DO YOU?..HE WENT BACK FOR ELIZAEBETH

AGAIN

aniron
who says TIA is his woman. it's possible and if so well Jakc has slept with her so if davvy knows or will know then he has definatly got something to be afraid of! ahhhhhh I'm a genius.

LovelyOne
TED ELLIOT ****ING SAYS ITS ELIZABETH HE IS AFTER with the compass!!!

MY GOD do you just ignore what he says?

seriously are you deliberately ignoring what Ted Elliot the writer of the movie is SAYING Jack is truly after?

GOD and you say I look too deeply into things without backing my claims up..you are basically making your own STUPID story up and ignoring facts from the script writers own mouth!

LovelyOne
Originally posted by aniron
who says TIA is his woman. it's possible and if so well Jakc has slept with her so if davvy knows or will know then he has definatly got something to be afraid of! ahhhhhh I'm a genius.

I've read the salmon revision version of the AWE script and TIA is the sea goddess Calypso (davys woman) trapped in human form. Calypso left Davy centuries before Jack was even born

and yes she and Jack had a history together...but he left her.

and YES Jack went there willingly for help the chest and tia the mentor lead him to what he wanted/feared the most instead which is gaining Elizabeth.

I study movies at college . And in every movie there is a common element: the mentor/supernatural helper who helps the reluctant hero on their way with the journey.

No hero starts off the journey willingly, they get pushed by the mentor to cross the first threshold

you should know this cuz you love LotR Frodo did not willingly set off to mount doom, he needed persuasion/help from the mentor/supernatural aid (gandalf) to get him started

Jack is willingly looking for the chest but the thing he fears facing up to is Elizabeth(according to ted Elliot the writer of the movie)...and so the mentor helps him with that instead..she gave him the Jar of dirt which BTW didnt help him maintain the heart...or Keep davy and the kraken away.

aniron
actually technically Frodo did go willingly. not from the shire but from rivendell he volunteered. and SAM certainly went willingly. as did merry and pippin, and the rest of the fellowship. I now LOTR don't try it lol.

And why does jack want to be away from elizabeth? why is he afraid? because of DAVVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually feel like i've bin through catharsis. I've actually discovered something. wow.

LovelyOne
yeah that was long after the first encounter with the mentor..I said starts off unwillingly..Gandalf had to make him..he then crosses that threshold which is where the adventure KICKS OFF big grin

THEN they meet tests, enemies and allies (which is when the fellowship was formed, after a few tests of strength like when he got stabbed)

taurusbaby0509
LovelyOne doesn't pull this stuff out of her a**. She finds it and explains it and her explanations turn into more theories. It's not pulled out of nowhere. I had something else to say too, damnit.

LovelyOne
thanks^^

and

No Anrion Ted says Jack is afraid of making an obligation to Elizabeth because he feels it will "limit his freedom"..and in the end he decided to make her an obligation in his life which is what makes him go back to the pearl basically.

I swear you just havent read what he said have you?

aniron
sam, etc still go willingly. Sam is infact just as much a hero as frodo. and what is taurus going on about? I'll ask this thread to be closed. we figured it out. jack has something to do with davvy's woman. the end.

LovelyOne
No its a lead hero. Frodo is the lead hero.

yes he has something to do with Davy's woman who is Calypso(now Tia) She left Davy about 300 years before Jack was even BORN...Jack is NOT the reason why Calypso left Davy unless Jack has a time machine that can transport him back300 years or so...maybe he bumped into doc from Back to the future and asked him to borrow the Delorian smile

secondly The reason Jack owes a debt to Davy Jones is in DMC itself he owes him his soul because he traded it to Davy 13 years before in order to get the Pearl and now his time is up..Davy wants his soul..seriously you must have been watching the B version of DMC to come up with that crazy ass theory

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.