Auteurism - Ted, Terry, Gore?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne

Mistypirate
Thanks for the info. smile

Chiki Mina
I dont understand the question.

LovelyOne
LMAO..basically do T&T have a similar way of story telling. Like with most of their movies? Like Shreck, Aladdin, Antz, Zorro, PotC?? etc

I havent seen them all but I do notice destinct similarities in their story telling.

.and does Gore have atypical way of filming/directing, cinematic techniques?? Usually an Auteur expresses themselves in the movies they produce...they often use repeating themes and repeating ways to symbolize things.

Like Spielberg and his love of blowing up the moon and having the boy of the story cast infront of it show that dreams can be reached by children no matter how bleak the life they live..you see it again in Empire of the Sun 1987 where he blew up the sun to look twce its size and the boy had his plane infront of it casting a shadow like Elliot on the bike infront of the moon etc.

sorry Im babbling

wher are my film studies/ media study buddies? They know what I;m chatting about..

Chiki Mina
im really slow...i dont even know what auteurism wahtever means.

Chiki Mina
this is what i found out

The auteur theory holds that a film, or an entire body of work, by a director (or, less commonly, a producer) reflects the personal vision and preoccupations of that director, as if she or he were the work's primary "author" (auteur).

LovelyOne
basically do T&T have a similar way of telling a story with all of their movies?

.Like you look at a movie and say "Ted and Terry wrote this I bet you!"..because you recognize typical ted and terry traits...you then look on IMDB and to your "surprise" T&T DID write it big grin

someone recognized the story of Antz and Potc had similarities and posted it here..and we soon found out T&T wrote ants too laughing out loud

Shrek is the same. Kate picked up on all the similarities..

Zorro is rather similar too.

Mistypirate
Is that they use similarities when writing a story. They use similar story telling. The theme of the stories that they write are almost alike.I hope I didn't confused you more. That was what I understood about it.

LovelyOne
yeah thats it^^ you explained it better than me..I tend to go on and on when the point is really simple to explain laughing out loud

Mistypirate
WOW really? Thank you big grin I guess. lol

LovelyOne
Basically if we figure out the typical traits/themes of Ted and Terry scripts..and then we look at Gore to see if he has a typical way of presenting a movie, symbolisms and themes handed to him by the writers..

Then we should be able to make a credible argument once and for all about our symbolisms we noticed in DMC and we should be able to get a decent idea of where the story is heading in the PotC series

Mistypirate
do you know what other movies has Gore directed?

Chiki Mina
Well I mean look at the zorro movie.

They mae it look like a forbidden love between Elena and Alejandro. And they would have those hot scenes and they tease eachother like those Liz/Jack scenes. And you notice that everyone seeks to be diffrent.

Let me rephrase that like for example Aladdin. Jasmine was tired of the uptight class, and Aladdin wanted to be in the high calss. They both feel like something is missing. That theres so much more than the high low class than the fancy feasts and watever. I think thats how it is with Jack/Liz.

Even with Aladdin being a poor boy he still understands the empty feeling jasmine feels. Same thing with Shrek. Kind of gives away the msg that they can be oppisite, but theres always something missing. And only that person thats different from you can fill that. Turns out that Jack/Liz as oppisite as they seem arent so different.

LovelyOne
Oh god he directed "Mouse Hunt"..I hate that movie sick
I think I'll watch it again just to see if there are similarities

EDIT - thanks chiki^^ great post

Chiki Mina
i think i babble too much lol

LovelyOne
nah I said thanks..sorry I put t in as an edit..I need someone with knowledge of the movies cuz I don't know them too well.

I'm going to look at PotC 1 as well and look out to see if Gore is repeating himself when trying to show symbolisms etc.

T&T did use the underdog story for PotC 1 but it was with Will. Although I think they did set a Jack/Liz thing up even in that movie..there are various hints that suggest they want to go that way in the future...and its kinda like they had the possibility in the back of their minds for a sequel if they ever made one kinda thing . They kinda left it open to a Jack/Liz thing I noticed...the hints are subtle but they are there IMO

now that I've studied movie 2 and looked back on movie 1..I picked up on more Jack/Liz hints that tie in with movie 2 than i originally thought were in there..like the ending..that TOTALLY flew over my head at the time like it did many IMO. If movie 3 ends Jack/Liz and you look back at all 3 movies..you will think "oh YEAH! look its even in 1 too!"

Chiki Mina
Well the movies that i have seen by T&T are Zorro, Aladdin, Shrek, um um cant remember the rest. I think there are myor similarites with these movies.

As you notice it usually is like the forbidden love kind. And it seems as if the gurl/princess gets the naughty boy.

Mistypirate
Yes exactly, It's like they crave to taste the forbidden apple

LovelyOne

Chiki Mina
All of them want a taste of eachother.

From the princess/gurl the badddies want a taste of innonsence and carefree taste. They kind of want to wake up that potential sexuality they have.

From the baddies the gurls want a taste of excitement, freedom, that delicious poison that is worth dying for. They want to wake up that potential goodness they have.

Mistypirate
Thanks Lovelyone. I didn't know Gore directed The Ring,The Weatherman and The Ritual. I liked all of those movies interesting.
When I first watched The Ring I didn't expected it to end like that. That is interesting.

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
All of them want a taste of eachother.

From the princess/gurl the badddies want a taste of innonsence and carefree taste. They kind of want to wake up that potential sexuality they have.

From the baddies the gurls want a taste of excitement, freedom, that delicious poison that is worth dying for. They want to wake up that potential goodness they have.

I think baddies are better big grin

Swann&Sparrow
Baddies rock. You know what I noticed, in AntZ {I was the one who had realized the similarities between AntZ and POTC}?

Elizabeth is JUST like Princess Bala. She's in royalty, Elizabeth is the daughter of a Governor, and she doesn't want to be in that place. She wants some adventure. They are really similar in a way.

I think Gore's way of film making is a VERY Non-Disney way. He likes to focus on the sadness and misery of the human mind, the way we live our lives. Then he finds a few rays of light and draw them out for the audience to see. He likes to relive people's worst moments and bring their worst fears to life. And suddenly he shows them something, something beautiful, I think that's how he films.

He shows all this scariness, and fear in DMC. With Jack's time up and Elizabeth being pushed into something that she definatly DIDN'T want to be dragged into, and Will who DEFINATLY NEVER EVER wanted this to happen. Then he shows us the light, with Jack dead everything is gone. Broken and fading.

But then he lifts this curtain, and there it is. The hope, the faith, the shear determination to get back what belongs to them. They would search at world's end, every drop of water in the sea, until they have Jack back.

And that' is our Gore's style. Head first.

Swann&Sparrow
BUMP

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.