Will popular Playstation titles begin to multiplatform?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
Will sequels to titles that were popular on the PS2 be carried over to the 360? Such as MGS and Socom?

I'd hate to buy the PS3 too, just for a few titles.

AstroFan
Looks like it is already happening.

GTA and Smackdown have jumped, if they do well I could see others jumping, especially MGS since it appeared on GC and XBOX before.

Draco69
All games at some point go multi-platform or jump.

Final Fantasy jumped to Sony.

Banjo-Kazooie jumped to Microsoft.

Resident Evil jumped to Nintendo.

It's the business cycle. It doesn't indicate anything else really.

AstroFan
Banjo didnt just jump, it was just a package deal with Rare. stick out tongue

Draco69
Rare is a traitor to Nintendo!!

How DARE they go to Microsoft!

Don't they know that Banjo-Kazooie is part of the Mario/Donkey Kong Family!?!?!

mad

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Solo
Will sequels to titles that were popular on the PS2 be carried over to the 360? Such as MGS and Socom?

I'd hate to buy the PS3 too, just for a few titles.

Yes. Eventually.

Draco69
Depends on the company actually. Sony has a very large finance networking with many Japanese/European game developers. Also helps to own a substantial amount of their stock. Microsoft doesn't have that luxury. Especially in Japan.

Microsoft and Nintendo may get some...but not the ones that Sony sees as big hits. Like Tekken, Final Fantasy, or Devil May Cry. They have their stake in it. More accurately, they bought the stock for it....

Lana
FF isn't entirely exclusive to Sony, though - it has Crystal Chronicles on Gamecube, FFXI was ported to the 360, and FFIII is going to be released on the DS, plus the GBA remakes of the originals. For the most part the main games of the series are on the PS systems now, but they're certainly not locked to Sony.

SaTsuJiN
IMO they lose cash by keeping it exclusive.. the good thing about exclusivity (I think) is that they get to completely polish the game... multiplatform allows the fanbase to grow, lets the developer get more cash.. but in the end I think you're left with a less polished game

Draco69
Originally posted by Lana
FF isn't entirely exclusive to Sony, though - it has Crystal Chronicles on Gamecube, FFXI was ported to the 360, and FFIII is going to be released on the DS, plus the GBA remakes of the originals. For the most part the main games of the series are on the PS systems now, but they're certainly not locked to Sony.

They're remakes of old games. They make profit...but not nearly as much profit as the REAL new FFs.

Which Sony isn't letting go off. Ever. Especially since they basically own the company...

Draco69
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
IMO they lose cash by keeping it exclusive.. the good thing about exclusivity (I think) is that they get to completely polish the game... multiplatform allows the fanbase to grow, lets the developer get more cash.. but in the end I think you're left with a less polished game

They lose money by keeping it exclusive...however they gain access to capital and funds they necessarily wouldn't be able to get if they were multi-platform.

Most multi-platform games pale horribly in comparision to exclusive titles. Why? They don't nearly have the capital that exclusive companies have when they sign on to singular console corporations.

BackFire
Originally posted by Draco69
They're remakes of old games. They make profit...but not nearly as much profit as the REAL new FFs.

Which Sony isn't letting go off. Ever. Especially since they basically own the company...

Don't be too sure, Sony and Square aren't on the best of terms right now, hence why Square is making so many games for other systems, lately.

Draco69
Originally posted by BackFire
Don't be too sure, Sony and Square aren't on the best of terms right now, hence why Square is making so many games for other systems, lately.

For some reason, Square is stating "Sony too dominant. Because of our games! Sony wouldn't be dominant if it weren't for us! Whoever gets our games gets dominance! Mmmmm. Who to choose, who to choose?"

They'd have to sell a substantial amount of stocks to the other companies to be out from under the heel of Sony.

And the only one who can do it is Microsoft. Nintendo doesn't nearly have the financial assets to do so.

The question is: Is Square-Enix willing to side with an American gaijin over the beloved Sony that helped thrust Japan into technological supremacy?

I think not. If Nintendo had the money, they'd go right back to Nintendo....

Kero_Co

Not to mention the rumors that square is making their own console, kingdom hearts 3 may not be exclusive, and a possible online dragon quest game for the wii.

Draco69
Originally posted by Kero_Co
Not to mention the rumors that square is making their own console, kingdom hearts 3 may not be exclusive, and a possible online dragon quest game for the wii.

Square making their own console? Sweeeeet!

Kinda wonder how though. They just merged with another company because of the huge financial loss of their first movie. And the other company wasn't so hot either in terms of finance....

BackFire
For some reason, Square is stating "Sony too dominant. Because of our games! Sony wouldn't be dominant if it weren't for us! Whoever gets our games gets dominance! Mmmmm. Who to choose, who to choose?"

They'd have to sell a substantial amount of stocks to the other companies to be out from under the heel of Sony.

And the only one who can do it is Microsoft. Nintendo doesn't nearly have the financial assets to do so.

The question is: Is Square-Enix willing to side with an American gaijin over the beloved Sony that helped thrust Japan into technological supremacy?

Yes, I can seem them partnering with MS in the future, if Sony keeps getting under their skin. It would be no different from when they left Nintendo to join Sony in an unproven concole system.

AstroFan
Originally posted by Kero_Co

Their own console? sick

Draco69
Yes, I can seem them partnering with MS in the future, if Sony keeps getting under their skin. It would be no different from when they left Nintendo to join Sony in an unproven concole system.

That's different. It was a Japanese console from a Japanese corporation that just so happened to be the biggest Japanese electronics corporation in the country.

Racism against foreign competitors, ESPECIALLY electronic foreign competitors is particularly strong in Japan.

Many see Microsoft as a threat to the welfare of their electronics markets.

They may WANT to for profits....but I doubt they will due to racism and internal fear of an outside threat to their market specialization.

People have to understand and think beyond short-term. Firms don't think in short-term. Especially successful firms.

SaTsuJiN
They lose money by keeping it exclusive...however they gain access to capital and funds they necessarily wouldn't be able to get if they were multi-platform.

Most multi-platform games pale horribly in comparision to exclusive titles. Why? They don't nearly have the capital that exclusive companies have when they sign on to singular console corporations.

yes, which is what I basically just said heh

I personally prefer exclusivity over multi-platform.. but whatevah.. if the company has the funds to multi-platform.. rock on!

and ew @ square making their own console -_-.. they cant create a single non-rpg that doesnt suck

Kero_Co
Square making their own console? Sweeeeet!

Kinda wonder how though. They just merged with another company because of the huge financial loss of their first movie. And the other company wasn't so hot either in terms of finance....

I tell you how! Final fantasy. They been milking the franchise since they found out FFX-2 would sell. Now they'll make money from four different FF7 games(and a movie), two different FFXII games, and three different FFXIII games.

Also, even though it is becoming more popular, as stated above, most japanese gamers could care less about microsoft,unless they really love DOA. The way they see it, Ps3=graphics, Wii=gameplay, X-Box=?

BackFire
That's different. It was a Japanese console from a Japanese corporation that just so happened to be the biggest Japanese electronics corporation in the country.

Racism against foreign competitors, ESPECIALLY electronic foreign competitors is particularly strong in Japan.

Many see Microsoft as a threat to the welfare of their electronics markets.

They may WANT to for profits....but I doubt they will due to racism and internal fear of an outside threat to their market specialization.

People have to understand and think beyond short-term. Firms don't think in short-term. Especially successful firms.

I think their love for FF games is stronger than their racism against American corperations. I'm sure square would know this.

WrathfulDwarf
The ones that come to mind is FF (which is does NOT belong to Sony)

and...

RIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!

Draco69
I think their love for FF games is stronger than their racism against American corperations. I'm sure square would know this.

Racism against American electronic corporations is particularly strong in Japan. Japan is a country who heavily relies on electronic exportation to make the country successful.

Again, Microsoft severely lacks financial networking in Japan. Sony, in Japan, has an enormous amount of both formal and informal financial networking.

It would reflect poorly on Square, the most popular Japanese producer of games, to switch teams with an American electronic corporation. It would be seen as a traitorous, anti-nationalistic financial decision in a country where nationalism is held with great pride. Square would have alot to lose. Switching to Nintendo? Fine. Switching to gaijin Microsoft? Hell no.

Ever wonder why not a SINGLE Square-Enix game has gone to Microsoft?

Draco69
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The ones that come to mind is FF (which is does NOT belong to Sony)

and...

RIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!

If I own about 60% of your company, you bet your ass I do....

I don't like Ridge Racer.

BackFire
Racism against American electronic corporations is particularly strong in Japan. Japan is a country who heavily relies on electronic exportation to make the country successful.

Again, Microsoft severely lacks financial networking in Japan. Sony, in Japan, has an enormous amount of both formal and informal financial networking.

It would reflect poorly on Square, the most popular Japanese producer of games, to switch teams with an American electronic corporation. It would be seen as a traitorous, anti-nationalistic financial decision in a country where nationalism is held with great pride. Square would have alot to lose. Switching to Nintendo? Fine. Switching to gaijin Microsoft? Hell no.

Ever wonder why not a SINGLE Square-Enix game has gone to Microsoft?

Well, FFXI is available on the 360.

Yes, it's not likely that they'd do an exclusive partnership with MS, but making FF games cross platform isn't that out there, imo.

J-Beowulf
Not too many series on Playstation that I really like... GTA is okay I guess, but nothing else comes to mind really. Maybe Syphon Filter or SOCOM, both of which I can live without.

General Kaliero
If Squeenix was so secure in their position under Sony, they wouldn't have brought the majority of the FF series to current Nintendo consoles in the past few years.

And if Sony truly "owned" Squeenix, then those games would never have appeared on Nintendo consoles for other obvious reasons, such as the fact that Nintendo is a competitor of Sony.

Draco69
Well, FFXI is available on the 360.

Absolutely true. But it was first available for PCs.

They had collorabative effort from all subsidaries to make the game. (And it wasn't nearly as successful as hoped.)

Since it was already on the PC, Sony didn't have anything to lose since it was first available for the PS2 and PC.

They got the majority of any possible profit. Which is what exclusivity is about.

Yes, it's not likely that they'd do an exclusive partnership with MS, but making FF games cross platform isn't that out there, imo.

Spin-offs or remakes? Sure.

Real FFs that continue the lineage? I seriously doubt it.

Especially with a gaijin American corporation they don't particularly trust or like...

Draco69
Originally posted by General Kaliero
If Squeenix was so secure in their position under Sony, they wouldn't have brought the majority of the FF series to current Nintendo consoles in the past few years.

And if Sony truly "owned" Squeenix, then those games would never have appeared on Nintendo consoles for other obvious reasons, such as the fact that Nintendo is a competitor of Sony.

Which basicaly irretates everything I've stated in parrotfashion....

Sony owns a substantial amount of their stock. What is stock by the way?

Really?

A stock is basically a piece of paper that tells you that you own a small piece of the company (via investment) and you're entitled to a certain percentage of what the companies makes in a fiscal year.

Now, Sony owns a large portion of PREFERRED stock. Preferred stock as the name implies means that Sony gets a bigger piece of the pie compared to the other people who own stock of the same company.

If Square-Enix sells a game on Nintendo (who doesn't have nearly any preferred stock from Square-Enix) and makes $10 million on the game. They dividend the money to Nintendo, than they dividend the money to the stockholders. Like Sony....

Yes, believe it or not, for ANY game that makes a substantial amount of money on Nintendo that is made by Square-Enix, Sony gets money from that game too. Why? Because they own preferred stock on Square-Enix.

Now why would they perceive Microsoft as a threat and not Nintendo. Simple. Nintendo is very, very poor in comparision to Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft can supercede Sony's stock advantage. Nintendo can't.

Could Square-Enix go back to Nintendo? Maybe. They'll suffer a substantial loss of capital and financial assets, if they do.

I hope to God they don't.

I want Final Fantasy VII:AC level graphics when FFXIII or FFXIV comes out. The Wii simply can't support that.

Every Final Fantasy has pushed the envelope and has become bigger than the last. With the PS3, the scope is nearly endless especially considering the White Cell technology in conjunction with the Blu-Ray Drive and the Cell.

General Kaliero
I want Final Fantasy VII:AC level graphics when FFXIII or FFXIV comes out. The Wii simply can't support that.

Every Final Fantasy has pushed the envelope and has become bigger than the last. With the PS3, the scope is nearly endless especially considering the White Cell technology in conjunction with the Blu-Ray Drive and the Cell.

Which is exactly why FF seems to get worse and worse with each game. I really hope that XII can pull the series out of the hole it's in, but I'm not getting my hopes up, really. They focus so much on state of the art graphics and the most realistic effects they can create that the rest of the game suffers.

I really hate America's obsession with shiny graphics. If, with current technology, we went back to 2D sprites, you know what we'd have? HUGE games. Hell, they don't even have to be SNES-era sprites, Guilty Gear characters are 2D and they look amazing. If an FF was made without focusing on the graphics so much, they'd have more time for better character developments, huge backstories, and generally more of what I want out of an RPG: story. Between FFs VI and X, I'd choose VI every time.

Draco69
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Which is exactly why FF seems to get worse and worse with each game. I really hope that XII can pull the series out of the hole it's in, but I'm not getting my hopes up, really. They focus so much on state of the art graphics and the most realistic effects they can create that the rest of the game suffers.

I really hate America's obsession with shiny graphics. If, with current technology, we went back to 2D sprites, you know what we'd have? HUGE games. Hell, they don't even have to be SNES-era sprites, Guilty Gear characters are 2D and they look amazing. If an FF was made without focusing on the graphics so much, they'd have more time for better character developments, huge backstories, and generally more of what I want out of an RPG: story. Between FFs VI and X, I'd choose VI every time.

Hmmmmmm. You have a very good point. FFXII has gotten good reviews. And FFX was good....but not as good as their predecessors.

I don't even want to think about FFX-2 and Kingdom Hearts II.

sick

If FF DID go to Nintendo, they'll suffer a substantial loss in graphics....but they'll possible gain in gameplay as you stated. Which has been lacking as of lately.

The question is if Square-Enix would be willing to do that? Quality over substance.

confused

Arahan
seiken densetsu 2 remake for the wii would be awesome.
unfortunately SD 4 comes for the ps2, and i dont have one.
luckily my cousin has a ps2, i will have to borrow it for
a couple of months big grin

And I am really curious about FFCC 2. The first game was
a big disappointment imo.

I hope Part 2 will be better in style, story and weapon/magic system.

BackFire
Hmmmmmm. You have a very good point. FFXII has gotten good reviews. And FFX was good....but not as good as their predecessors.

I don't even want to think about FFX-2 and Kingdom Hearts II.

sick

If FF DID go to Nintendo, they'll suffer a substantial loss in graphics....but they'll possible gain in gameplay as you stated. Which has been lacking as of lately.

The question is if Square-Enix would be willing to do that? Quality over substance.

confused

I thought FFX was better than the predecessors, save FFVI and FFVII.

office jesus

Yeah. Sony's being all 'high and mighty' at the moment because of Konami and Square. Someone needs to take them down a few pegs. Hear that Nintendo? It's your turn now. Take us to an era when videogames were fun again.

IceJaw
I thought FFX was better than the predecessors, save FFVI and FFVII. I thought it was the best doped

Kaled
anyone know what consoles FFVII the remake is coming out on? is it just the PS3?

Originally posted by office jesus
Yeah. Sony's being all 'high and mighty' at the moment because of Konami and Square. Someone needs to take them down a few pegs. Hear that Nintendo? It's your turn now. Take us to an era when videogames were fun again.

well, its not just FF that have many good games on their side, for an example, gran theft auto, kingdom hearts, gran turismo etc

i admit the only thing i like about square enix is the games, nothing more, their business strategy is, (no other word of it) bitchy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.