IGN's Reader's Choice Top 100 Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lana
http://top100.ign.com/2006/index.html

Seems like they just averaged out user reviews to come up with this list.

I'll just say right off that it's severly lacking in games pre-PSX/N64 and PC stuff...

AstroFan
Atleast they got number one right. stick out tongue

But the list does seem a little too recent. erm No Mario games in the top 10? Thats horseshit.

Lana
Doom's not on the list.

That's my big problem with it.

TricksterPriest
No ZOE. nuff said. Not to mention the absense of KOF, SF, CVS and numerous other storied franchises. The list was a joke. miffed

BackFire
Crap list.

Half Life at 89? Come on, that's one of the very best games ever released, widely recognized as the best PC game ever made.

The original Super Mario Bros at 82, one below Shenmue.

The original Legend of Zelda at number 56, bullshit.

Of course, this is just a random opinion poll that just talied of votes, but still some shockingly low ranks for some exceptional games.

Though I certainly approve of FFVI being ranked as the best FF game on that list. Nice to see that game get in the top ten for a change instead of FFVII.

Really the entire top 10 is alright.

IceJaw
I wonder who many it took to make that piece of crap list erm

Mišt
Zelda FTWw00t

Didnt bother reading the other 90 games ermm

Spartan005
Originally posted by BackFire
Crap list.

Half Life at 89? Come on, that's one of the very best games ever released, widely recognized as the best PC game ever made.

The original Super Mario Bros at 82, one below Shenmue.

The original Legend of Zelda at number 56, bullshit.

Of course, this is just a random opinion poll that just talied of votes, but still some shockingly low ranks for some exceptional games.

Though I certainly approve of FFVI being ranked as the best FF game on that list. Nice to see that game get in the top ten for a change instead of FFVII.

Really the entire top 10 is alright.

Yeah but having Resident Evil as the #1 game is pretty gay... I mean its not like zombies is really an original idea, and sure the game was good.... but not as good as Halo or Splinter Cell CT. I'd even pick some of the original SNES games over that...

MadMel
wtf??...OOT was the #1..

Impediment
RE4 is a fantastic game, but I dunno if it deserves the #1 spot.

AstroFan
Its not number 1.

Ushgarak
We're in deep trouble if it averages off reader reviews. IGN applies no quality control to reader reviews- read a random selection of ten of them and you will see what I mean.

AstroFan
I think it was by vote, I remember them advertising.

WrathfulDwarf
IGN is great site for video game updates, previews, and trailers...reviews and top ten lists aren't their strong. Same with Gamespot and Gamespy.

Lana
I'm fairly sure it went by averaging user reviews.

And people who are complaining about RE being #1 - actually READ the list, why don't you. It's not.

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
No ZOE. nuff said. Not to mention the absense of KOF, SF, CVS and numerous other storied franchises. The list was a joke. miffed

Well, I'd take a guess and say that ultimately every single one of those games is exactly the same, more or less.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lana

I'll just say right off that it's severly lacking in games pre-PSX/N64 and PC stuff...

Lacking Pre-N64 /PSX stuff? Have you actually looked at the list? There are pretty much all the ones that deserve to be in the list. About a 1/3 of the list is made up of titles Pre-N64.

I think the list is very fair. I like it.

Impediment
And people who are complaining about RE being #1 - actually READ the list, why don't you. It's not.

I guess I misread it earlier, but I couldv'e sworn I read it as #1. Still, I wasn't exactly complaining. wink

§P0oONY
There are 2 lists... 1 has RE4 as #1 the other OoT

Impediment
Aha! I think I accidentally went to another poll by mistake.

Kayne Archeron
OoT wasn't even the best zelda, how could it be the best game???
though i'm glad SotN was placed highly

Smasandian
I agree with Backfire, the list is brutal.

How many versions of different football games are on the list?

And really, the original Half Life being 89 is horrible...it deserves top 10.

My big surpraise though, Grim Fandango being in it..

Lana
Originally posted by Impediment
Aha! I think I accidentally went to another poll by mistake.

Yeah, you clicked the wrong thing.

It's the link at the bottom of the page/down the left side. That's an older poll they did.

Ushgarak
Mind you, all top 100 lists simply make me feel alienated from gaming at large, even PC specific ones.

El_NINO
I tend to not believe anything IGN spews out. I dont know if anyones noticed but they are mostly biased to certain things. I prefer Gamespot to IGN.

Spartan005
Yeah, you clicked the wrong thing.

It's the link at the bottom of the page/down the left side. That's an older poll they did.

Yup thats probably what I did... but my point remains the same, its still #3 out of the top 100 games of all time... I mean come on....

J-Beowulf
#14 is 13 spaces too low eek!

J-Beowulf
Originally posted by El_NINO
I tend to not believe anything IGN spews out. I dont know if anyones noticed but they are mostly biased to certain things. I prefer Gamespot to IGN.

Gamespot's ratings are shady to say the least. I tend to disagree with many of their ratings, so I stick with IGN.

Smasandian
Originally posted by J-Beowulf
Gamespot's ratings are shady to say the least. I tend to disagree with many of their ratings, so I stick with IGN.

Really??

I always value thier ratings. They tend to be harsh when the actual number rating is done.

I always felt IGN was way to easy to give good marks.

BackFire
I read both sites, both sites have decent reviews usually.

J-Beowulf
I end up looking at both as well, but it seems that IGN tends to rate my favorite games a bit higher. It's all a matter of opinion of course.

Spartan005
Originally posted by J-Beowulf
I end up looking at both as well, but it seems that IGN tends to rate my favorite games a bit higher. It's all a matter of opinion of course.

Yeah, I probably prefer IGN a bit more... but gamespot has the video reviews which are pretty cool

BackFire
IGN has video reviews as well.

El_NINO
I prefer GameSpot because they are not biased to anyone and I can also look at the viewer ratings.

Originally posted by Smasandian
Really??

I always value thier ratings. They tend to be harsh when the actual number rating is done.

I always felt IGN was way to easy to give good marks.

I agree on this point. The reviews they do are almost always accurate of what the people say plus I like On the Spot which is always a good laugh.

InnerRise
How dare they not include any of the Gameboy Pokemon games on that list.

Completely off. COMPLETELY!!! miffed

is it comprehensible.....

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Smasandian
I agree with Backfire, the list is brutal.

How many versions of different football games are on the list?

And really, the original Half Life being 89 is horrible...it deserves top 10.

My big surpraise though, Grim Fandango being in it..

Grim Fandango would make my top game list any day, fabulous characters, great soundtrack and a fantastic storyline. It has no replay value but no games in it's genre do. Still one of my favourite games of all time.

Maestro
Hmm list doesn't look too great, agree that half life is way too high on the list. Maybe someone (who has alot of time on their hands, I don't for starters) should make their own top 100, be nice seeing some personal lists, even if they might be a tad subjective.

Kaled

if i was hades, planet earth would go pop, here's a list of the major insults:

# 097 // Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos - just WTF

# 092 // Kingdom Hearts - ummmm, NO

# 065 // StarCraft - this remains the most popular RTS game on the net

# 063 // Call of Duty - .....come on!

# 061 // Unreal Tournament 2004 should be at least top 20

# 060 // Final Fantasy X - i would've thought it whould be higher than 60

# 052 // Rome: Total War - this game is really clever, pluys multi plaer is amazing

# 050 // Gran Turismo 4 - But this is gran turismo, i'm not even a big fan but thats wrong

# 039 // Grim Fandango - This high, er, are you sure?!?

# 020 // Final Fantasy VII - anyone who knows me at all knows this for me belongs in the top 5 at worst

# 011 // Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - this game wasn't that great, by their logic the graphic etc should've wonr it down to past 70 by now

# 004 // Super Metroid - not really, no

Doom - sorry where is it?? you cannot not have doom on that list at least 5 games were inspired by it,

In conclusion this is fanboy mania, and is bullshit, i would go on, but its not worth my time, as for # 001 // The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - i don't agree with that being at 1, but i can see why it might be there,... them chickens...omg i still giggle when i think about death by chicken

§P0oONY
# 004 // Super Metroid - not really, no

Super Metroid was a fantastic game... Very Worthy of such a high placing. As for Starcraft being the most popular Online RTS that doesn't mean that it is worthy of a really high place and Grim Fandango is fantastic also; an amazing game.

And If OoT isn't number 1 what the **** is? Something has to be and this game is near perfect.

Kaled

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Kaled
thats the thing, whats number 1 will always be bias, depends what kinda game you enjoy, sport, racing, rpg, rts, mmorpg...... even then is heavy contested, persoannly i think FF7 is better than OoT, and Kingdom Hearts......

Super Metroid. its just that that great, sure it was brillient for its time, but not that much, considering the super mario bros is way back there, pan-man doesn't even appear

Starcraft is and always has been a truely magnificent game

Grim Fandango is othing compared the the games that should be there

Isn't this top 100 going on IGN Reader Ratings... therefor isn't biased as it's being voted for by the general public...

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
OoT wasn't even the best zelda, how could it be the best game???
though i'm glad SotN was placed highly

it was in my opinion. i can't think of the other ones name right now cause i'm 1/2 asleep\dead, but the one where it went 3 days and went back in time was boring as hell, and the windwaker...just made me sick

the gameboy ones i didnt mind for

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.