Empire Magazine's 25 Biggest Movie Scares...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Click here for the article...

From the top 25, here are the ones that got me good:

The scene from The Fly made me jump, feel sick, and be disturbed all in one.
I jumped about a mile out of my seat during that raptor scene in JP.
That's a great scene from Alien, but the chest-buster freaked me out more.
The 'reveal' scene in The Descent made me scream like a little girl.
That scene in TCSM still disturbs me.
Anyway, can anyone think of any other jumpy moments? My brain won't compute right now, but I'm sure there are a million more...

Oh, wait. I got one: The first time that girl with the hair appears in Ju-On made me scared to turn-off the light after I watched it.

Also, feel free to comment on the list. Agree? Disagree?

Do a chicken.

Vim
I agree with the ones I've seen most of which I have not, sadly... Another that got me was in the M:I 1 when that damn car blew up, 'specially in the theater, because the sound was rather piercing. And another I remember is the first time I watched Arachnaphobia at home, some of us were laying/siting on the floor at the beginning then by the middle, everyone was huddled on the couch, sofa or recliner. Also another good scare was in Phantoms when the little kid appeared in the closet. And in The Ring ... oh yeah you know what part I'm talking about!

MildPossession
That scene from The Descent is amazing, the actresses had not seen the creatures beforehand, so it was the first time the women saw them when filming that scene to get more of a surprise.

Wolfie
That's a weird list. Twilight Zone? Gremlins?

Strangelove
They put out the same list back in 2002...very little changed

Solo
That's a rather awful list. The only one I agree with is Invasion of the Body Snatchers, what an amazing ending that was.

Wolfie
Originally posted by Solo
That's a rather awful list. The only one I agree with is Invasion of the Body Snatchers, what an amazing ending that was.
But you don't agree with The Shining or TCM?

Solo
Originally posted by Wolfie
But you don't agree with The Shining or TCM?
Nope. The Shining was good, and I loved the novel to death, but it was a bit boring. TCM was really silly, I didn't like that at all.

Solo
I'd agree with Mulholland Drive, as well.

BackFire
I just saw The Fly for the first time in years the other day, it was spectacular, the whole movie is incredibly unsettling and eerie, then at the end, when his transformation is complete, oh man, one of the most unnerving climaxes I've ever seen in a film, it's so tragic and so well made. The make up effects were astounding. Goldbloom kicks ass. And yes, that scene with the baboon was great as well.

Another great jump scene is in TCM, when Sally is pushing Franklin through the woods at night, and leatherface jumps out and kills franklin, a great great jump scene, mostly because the loud noise accompanying the sudden movement is actually organic in the movie - the sound of the chainsaw revving up - and not some out of place loud noise added in post production.

Overall a solid list, the one from Seven, The Shining and The Descent are all ace.

Lunch_Meat
I don't know why FotR was on there, but the biggest scare in Alien was defiantly the part where the guy was crawling down the tunnel and everyone else saw the alien on the radar thingy, and he didn't know where it was at, and he turned around with the flashlight and the alien poped out scared me soooooo bad, i was like "holy shit!" lol

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Wolfie and Solo, the list is about 'scare' scenes, not the movies as a whole.

Wolfie
I know. I didn't see anything scary in the comedy, Ghostbusters.

And what's scary about Ghostface pulling Randy into a van? I hope I wasn't the only one that saw that coming a mile away. (btw, the list says Scream 2 was made in 1987)

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, I don't agree with that Ghostbusters one, but the list is really about scenes that made you jump. That kind of 'scare'.

ladygrim
i wouldnt say that ,thelist is overly amazing... i mean half of them are hardly jump factors...scream 2 ... lord of the rings...the others... please

Solo
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Wolfie and Solo, the list is about 'scare' scenes, not the movies as a whole.
I know, and there's not much of a scare to any of those scenes.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Solo
I know, and there's not much of a scare to any of those scenes.

Really? You've mentioned Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but are you saying you really didn't jump during the scenes referred to in The Fly, Alien, The Descent, JP and TCSM? If so, then please post some scenes that did make you flinch.

Even though I knew it was coming, when I watched JP in the movie theatre I jumped a mile when the raptor burst against the wire fence! As much as I hate the movie, the same thing happened during Independence Day when the alien pops out of the UFO that Will Smith shoots down...

RedAlertv2
One movie that had a lot of "make-you-jump" kind of scares was Signs.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
One movie that had a lot of "make-you-jump" kind of scares was Signs.

Yeah, but it's a same those scares ceased when you saw that the aliens were actually skinnyrubberjellymen. All one word.

=Tired Hiker=
Not that it was a horror film, but that scene in Total Recall when Kuato is talking then BAM!, he gets shot in the head, that part made me jump hella.

eatpork
I actually really liked this list. So many other lists have overlooked that beginning scene in Twilight Zone, that scene is still probably the most scary movie scene for me.

But here are the ones I didn't agree with:

The scariest scenes in the Descent were those not with the monsters, but rather the cramped scenes in which the cave-in comes and it seems the girls are trapped hundreds of feet below the surface.

The scene they mention in Final Destination was more funny than anything. In fact, I don't believe anything about that movie was scary.

Even though Ghostbusters really doesn't deserve anything in a top 25 list such as this when it comes to horror, I'd say the scariest scene was when they first faced the ghostly librarian at the beginning. You know, when it just seems like a harmless entity, and then when they get near it, it turns into a scarier-than-hell ghastly figure.

Scenes that I was really proud of however:

Like I said, the Twilight Zone one.

The Jaws severed head one; everyone usually talks about the beginning with the girl in the water, but this was the true biggest scare of that movie.

The Se7en one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.