Did Comedian Bill Maher Cross the Line?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Many of you who have seen his show on HBO known him very well for his comedic antics about the US and the Bush administration. He is a very well known controversial person. Do you think he cross the line by dressing up as a dead Croc Hunter Steve Irwin for Halloween and making a parody of recent decease. Or is he just searching for more controversy to put his name on the spotlight?

(yeah, I know one of you are going to bring in the SP episode of Satan and Irwin so let's focus on Bill)

§P0oONY
That was a quility bit in South Park though.

Gregory
"Cross the line?" It was certainly in bad taste, but I've generally thought comedians should be allowed to tell whatever jokes they want, and if people don't like it, they can find other sources of entertainment.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Many of you who have seen his show on HBO known him very well for his comedic antics about the US and the Bush administration. He is a very well known controversial person. Do you think he cross the line by dressing up as a dead Croc Hunter Steve Irwin for Halloween and making a parody of recent decease. Or is he just searching for more controversy to put his name on the spotlight?

(yeah, I know one of you are going to bring in the SP episode of Satan and Irwin so let's focus on Bill)

Yeah, he did cross the line. It's that exact same kinda dumb shit that got his show closed on ABC.

Bardock42
I don't see a line to be crossed there.

Capt_Fantastic
I don't think it crossed any lines. I think the man is brilliant though, so he could do or say just about anything and I'd consider him right.

I think people have made way too much out of this Steve Irwin thing. If it was my job to run up and slap dangerous animals on the ass, I wouldn't be caught off guard when one of them killed me.

Strangelove
I voted yes, that he did, but I'd like to qualify it. I don't think he crossed a line, because I believe that there isn't a set "line" to be crossed, but I personally believe that he was in poor taste to parody his tragic death.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Strangelove
to parody his tragic death.

See, that's where I get confused. How was his death tragic?

Quiero Mota
It was untimely.

Was that a real question?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
It was untimely.

Yeah, .... a little late, isn't the dude dead for a month or so already?

Quiero Mota
What?

Mr. Sandman
It was untimely.

Untimely? How do you figure? He's been ****ing with dangerous animals for at least a decade, I was actually surprised to hear he died. I thought he was already dead.

Bardock42
What?

The Crocodile dude...why make a joke about him now...that's so ...out of date.

Capt_Fantastic
It was untimely.

Yeah, it was a real question. Sure, it's too bad the guy died, but he died doing what he loved. And what he loved was wrestling with dangerous animals. He was one of those people who couldn't just look, he had to touch too.

§P0oONY
I don't think a line's been crossed... He died long enough ago to make fun of it.

Bardock42
It was untimely.

Oh sorry, I grog my mistake now. I assumed you were referring to the joke itself. My Bad.

Quiero Mota

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Untimely? How do you figure?

Porque he didn't die of old age.

Bardock42
That was my point, ey. If you die before your time, I think that's tragic. You may or may not agree.

So if some one dresses up as JFK for Halloween with fake brains hanging out of the side of his head, is that ok? Even though he got shot over 40 years ago?
What is "one's time"

Yes, that would be hilarious.

Sadako of Girth
I really would feel more comfortable leaving that to the people who knew him and his family to call that one... and I bet they were just ROLLING in the aisles at the sheer inventiveness and good taste of the gag in question... :/

True what the Capt was saying, but damn... Its those still grieving, (Which his family certainly will still be doing) that would have to be considered.

I bet those 9/11 jokes'd still have been frowned upon in dec 2001.
Especially by New Yorkers.

Irrespective of the number of lives lost and how they were lost, grief is still grief, I guess.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bardock42
What is "one's time"

Natural causes.

Yes, that would be hilarious.

Yeah, you would think so.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
I bet they were just ROLLING in the aisles at the sheer inventiveness and good taste of the gag in question... :/

Exactly.

Bardock42
Natural causes.

Yeah, you would think so.

Hey, hey now...Stingrays are natural, aren't they?

Yes. very much though..I wish we had this pagan habit here in germany, I'd go out and get such a costume right now.

§P0oONY
That was my point, ey. If you die before your time, I think that's tragic. You may or may not agree.

So if some one dresses up as JFK for Halloween with fake brains hanging out of the side of his head, is that ok? Even though he got shot over 40 years ago?

Yeah, I think it's fine. That's quite different though.

Quiero Mota
Hey, hey now...Stingrays are natural, aren't they?

I'm talking old age.

Bardock42
I'm talking old age.

Woah, woah, woah...you are discriminating a hell of a lot of good deaths here...hater.

Quiero Mota
Woah, woah, woah...you are discriminating a hell of a lot of good deaths here...hater.

What the f**k? Ay guey.....

§P0oONY
I'm talking old age.

You can't die from old age...

Bardock42
What the f**k? Ay guey.....

Guey? Is that Bat Shit? Hehe..of course I know that it isn't..funny anyways...to me...not to Steve Irwin though..cause he is dead...he would have liked Bat shit though...but not anymore..you know why?

Strangelove
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Yeah, it was a real question. Sure, it's too bad the guy died, but he died doing what he loved. And what he loved was wrestling with dangerous animals. He was one of those people who couldn't just look, he had to touch too. sure, he dies doing what he loved, but he was killed by a sting ray, for Christ's sake. You'd think he'd be eaten by a shark, something a little more exciting

Mr. Sandman

I would find that incredibly funny. Not to mention it'd probably win best costume, who knows how long that would take to make.

Also, if the cause of death is your own fault then it's not really 'before your time', natural cause or not. He probably knew he'd die wrestling some animal that wasn't meant to be wrestled anyway.

Capt_Fantastic
Of course every one is entitled to their opinion on how tragic his death was, but I just don't see it as a tragedy. Now, don't misunderstand me, I certainly didn't wish him harm or enjoy the fact that he died. But the "tragic" aspect of it escapes me. I think I might find it tragic if, after all his years of wrestling crocodiles and getting bit on the lip by snakes, he'd been killed in a car accident.

Capt_Fantastic
sure, he dies doing what he loved, but he was killed by a sting ray, for Christ's sake. You'd think he'd be eaten by a shark, something a little more exciting

It certainly would have been more fitting.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Of course every one is entitled to their opinion on how tragic his death was, but I just don't see it as a tragedy. Now, don't misunderstand me, I certainly didn't wish him harm or enjoy the fact that he died. But the "tragic" aspect of it escapes me. I think I might find it tragic if, after all his years of wrestling crocodiles and getting bit on the lip by snakes, he'd been killed in a car accident. Agreed

office jesus
S'what you get for messing with poisonous animals.

Strangelove
Originally posted by office jesus
S'what you get for messing with poisonous animals. he wasn't messing with it, it caught him completely by surprise

office jesus
he wasn't messing with it, it caught him completely by surprise

Okay. So. He's supposed to be surprised that a poisonous animal is going to sting him because it perceived him as a threat? Yeah. That makes a WHOLE lot of sense.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I voted yes, that he did, but I'd like to qualify it. I don't think he crossed a line, because I believe that there isn't a set "line" to be crossed, but I personally believe that he was in poor taste to parody his tragic death.

So, in answer to the question 'Did comedian Bill Maher cross the line?', you answered 'yes', but you 'don't think he crossed the line'? Well, that makes sense.

My view: Where are these lines that people are supposed to have crossed? I don't see any...Maybe they're just all in your head. Which leads into the next question: Why do you have lines in your head?

xmarksthespot
Meh.

Capt_Fantastic
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/DevilKing1138/maherirwin_narrowweb__300x4570.jpg

PVS
what a dumbass

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
what a dumbass

Me or Bill?

Either way, I think it's funny.

Bardock42
It doesn't amuse me greatly, I don't find it idiotic either.

PVS
BOTH OF YOU!!!!!

no, i was talking about maher

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by office jesus
Okay. So. He's supposed to be surprised that a poisonous animal is going to sting him because it perceived him as a threat? Yeah. That makes a WHOLE lot of sense.
You don't know what you're talking about. The overwhelming majority of stingrays don't attack people easily, only when they feel threatened.

It was a surprise to everybody that this particular stingray apparently felt threatened and attacked Steve Irwin.

Nobody could have foreseen that.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
You don't know what you're talking about. The overwhelming majority of stingrays don't attack people easily, only when they feel threatened.

It was a surprise to everybody that this particular stingray apparently felt threatened and attacked Steve Irwin.

Nobody could have foreseen that.

As Bill said, it's not called a hug ray for a reason.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.