Versatility vs Limited, but high level power.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
On another board, there's a herald classification thread.

But as usual, it went to Superman and other bricks vs Surfer/GL types.

Now, i agree that raw power trumps versatility, if it doesn't compare.

An example is Ironman vs Kurse.

Ironman is much more versatile than Kurse.

But Kurse has farther reaching scope in his power.

But when the physical powers you have are at equalish levels, plus you can do so much more, how does that not equal more powerful overall?

Am i, and others wrong for seeing things this way?

jollyjim311
A foot wide and a mile deep over a mile wide and a foot deep?

It depends on the characters.

If their powers can't keep them out of physical combat or do enough damage so that they can win in a physical faceoff, then, being versatile is worse than being powerful in one area.

For example, Thors could do some damage to the Hulk with his magical lightning, but not kill him (for the most part). However, despite Hulk being incredibly strong, he would be weakened from the attacks to the point where Thor could take him in melee.

Does that not make any sense?

Soljer
The Hulk is a GREAT example. He has a ridiculously high level of power, but only in one field.

That ONE field lets him both hang with INCREDIBLY versatile guys that aren't quite as powerful (Iron Man and the like), and at the same time, get taken down by MUCH weaker foes that are more versatile (Spiderman and the like).

Hence, there is no overall rule for versatility versus power. It varies from instance to instance.

lando005
it all depends on the people fighting if the 2 are within the same league then i would say the more versatile fighter would take it good examples would be the spider-man and wolverine fight or the hulk and superman fight i would give it to spider-man and superman outta pure versatility they just have more options more things they can do same can be said of the other way around though if the scope of power is too different between the 2 then versatility wont help your just simply outclassed like let's say spider-man and classic juggs so as long as they're within the same playing field I'd go with versatility

Validus
At a certain point, versatility will only help you stay alive but it won't net you any wins.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Validus
At a certain point, versatility will only help you stay alive but it won't net you any wins.

But, if you expand beyond that point, then versatality reaches a level and a concept that cannot be measured in 'depth'

Take Gambit for example

He's versatile because of the possibilities to use his powers- which is to charge up inorganic matter with kinetic energy. Put him against someone like Colossus, or anybody too fast for him, and he's fairly useless. Also, theres a limit to how much he can 'charge'

But, his versatality is expanded to the point where he has complete control over kinetic energy- and suddenly, things are much different.

In addition, truly versatile people are the best at exploiting weaknesses. Take an average GL, and face him against Supes. Seems like a fairly easy win for Supes (not counting elite GLs) until you realize a GL can create kryptonite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.