Halo vs Gears of War

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Major Snafu
An Xbox smackdown.

Since 2001, Halo has reigned supreme. But now, Halo has a challenger, in the form of Gears of War.

The Spartan Forces, led by Master Chief, have teamed up with their enemies, The Covenant, in order to take out the COG's (Coalition of Ordered Governments) Marcus Fenix and the Locust Horde.

When the smoke clears, who will reign supreme over the Xbox once and for all?

Superboy Prime
Spartans & Elites > COGs and regular locust.

The Elites technology is also far superior to both the COGs and the locust.

Halo would win.

In terms of franchise and the like...Halo 3 better be Uber or else GOW might replace Halo to as the Big X's baby.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Superboy Prime

100% true

~B@ckB0n3~
Originally posted by Superboy Prime

Halo would win.

In terms of franchise and the like...Halo 3 better be Uber or else GOW might replace Halo to as the Big X's baby. Exactly. And I don't think they'd end Halo with a crappy story line that's uber short.

But by the looks of it, it could happen. They're getting close to what MC is trying to stop, so it may only be like 5-6 levels.

((The_Anomaly))
I hope it does replace Halo. GOW is a much better game then Halo 1 or 2 ever was.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I hope it does replace Halo. GOW is a much better game then Halo 1 or 2 ever was.

I doubt it will replace Halo. Master Chief has (basically) become the mascot of the Xbox. Like how Mario is Nintendo's mascot but everyone says Zelda is better.

Gears of War is a fun game but I hope it doesn't replace Halo because I am looking forward to Halo 3.

swe_ak5
This will be a tough fight, just the thought that the guy got a shainsaw on his gun makes me drowl...but who knows...time will tell wich game is the best santa

Swe_Bum
GOW have some BIG monsters..

swe_ak5
jupp yes

samle
ya but halo has sentinels and inforcers to destroy those monsters or what ever the are from gears of war.

ESB -1138
Not to mention a fleet of power star ships that can whip out an entire population on a planet

Cha! Right
Even though I didn't like Gears of War all that much considering it wasn't all that great as people say it is and plus Unreal Tournament 2007 for the PS3 is going to be way better then Gears of War since alot of them are just wannabe's that think that every Xbox 360 game is good but Halo doesn't have better weapons compare to the COG lets face it Halo weapons are extremely weak I use to have Halo and Halo 2 and lets all be truthful here has there ever been a powerful weapon in the Halo seriei's? I'mean come on I don't thinks so the 2 submachine guns sound weak and they even look weak

and the first weapon from Halo that is going to return in Halo 3 is the same looks powerful but it sounds weak and shoots weak to even the shotgun in Halo 2 was pathetic it was weak as well lets face it the Halo weapons are pathetic while the Gears of War weapons look better and sounds a little bit better.

Blaxican
The COG and Locust win on the ground due to Rewmacs, APC gun, and a few of those big mothers that the Locust have, seeders and such.
MC can be killed in like, one hit more then likely from an APC shot.

But the Halo team ultimatly win due to the fact that their ships are uber, and will just glass the planet anyway.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Blaxican
The COG and Locust win on the ground due to Rewmacs, APC gun, and a few of those big mothers that the Locust have, seeders and such.
MC can be killed in like, one hit more then likely from an APC shot.

But the Halo team ultimatly win due to the fact that their ships are uber, and will just glass the planet anyway.

I actually have to give the ground combat to Halo. The Elites can just go camo and pick off Locust and COG soldiers with energy swords or snipers. Plus Brutes can take a lot of damage and really close in quickly and they were strong enough to flip a Phantom without much trouble. Plus you got Hunters that moves in groups which would really make Locust and COG soldiers focus on them giving Grunts, Jackals, and Elites an opening to attack them.

Plus they have Banshees, Phantoms, Sceptres, Warthogs, and Scorpions. Not to mention Hell Jumpers are quite capable of fighting any COG soldier point for point. Master Chief would be able to handle anything that comes his way. Heck the Corpser was killed by Fenix and Dom so I'm sure Master Chief and Johnson could take one down.

Berserkers on the other hand seem to be more of a problem. The only way I can see the UNSC marines or the Covenant taking one down is by blasting it with plasma from plasma rifles and of course from Hunters. Heck don't forget about the Special (Silver) Elites that seem very capable of handling even the most dangerous of foes.

And you throw in the Flood. I mean the Flood would just storm the COG and Locust soldiers to force them to waste ammo while the UNSC marines and Covenant just pick them off as they reveal their location.

Superboy Prime
UT2007 is coming out for the 360 too :P

Superboy Prime
On topic the Locust/GOW universe won't ever beat the haloverse unless there's some heavy PIS involved. Just think about it the Covenant are an intergalactic empire while the Locust and COGs are still grounded on Earth/Sera. All the Covenant need to do is glass the planet from out of space ala Reach. Besides even in ground Elites & Brutes will give most of the locust(seeders/berskerers/corpses excluded) a run for their money.

Blaxican
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I actually have to give the ground combat to Halo. The Elites can just go camo and pick off Locust and COG soldiers with energy swords or snipers. Plus Brutes can take a lot of damage and really close in quickly and they were strong enough to flip a Phantom without much trouble. Plus you got Hunters that moves in groups which would really make Locust and COG soldiers focus on them giving Grunts, Jackals, and Elites an opening to attack them.

Plus they have Banshees, Phantoms, Sceptres, Warthogs, and Scorpions. Not to mention Hell Jumpers are quite capable of fighting any COG soldier point for point. Master Chief would be able to handle anything that comes his way. Heck the Corpser was killed by Fenix and Dom so I'm sure Master Chief and Johnson could take one down.

Berserkers on the other hand seem to be more of a problem. The only way I can see the UNSC marines or the Covenant taking one down is by blasting it with plasma from plasma rifles and of course from Hunters. Heck don't forget about the Special (Silver) Elites that seem very capable of handling even the most dangerous of foes.

And you throw in the Flood. I mean the Flood would just storm the COG and Locust soldiers to force them to waste ammo while the UNSC marines and Covenant just pick them off as they reveal their location.

Eh, I forgot all about the flood, and you raised a few other good points as well.

The COG lose here... the only chance they would have had is their APC guns, but it would only be a matter of time before the combined Halo ships take out the satelites...

Major Snafu
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY:

The whole idea of this battle is not using any high-tech weaponry (such as blasting the planet from space), since that would be a disadvantage. This battle is straight-out firearms, melee weapons and explosives ONLY.

Brute force and numbers alone can't determine how a battle is won. You have to outthink and outmaneuver the opponent.

The idea of this battle is to make Stalingrad and Guadalcanal look like a fight at a football game.

Blaxican
The flood.

erm

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Major Snafu
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY:

The whole idea of this battle is not using any high-tech weaponry (such as blasting the planet from space), since that would be a disadvantage. This battle is straight-out firearms, melee weapons and explosives ONLY.

Brute force and numbers alone can't determine how a battle is won. You have to outthink and outmaneuver the opponent.

The idea of this battle is to make Stalingrad and Guadalcanal look like a fight at a football game.

It doesn't matter how good you are in battle. When you are VASTLY outnumbered beyond reason...you're not going to win.

Blaxican
Originally posted by Blaxican
The flood.

erm

Superboy Prime
It doesn't matter how good you are in battle. When you are VASTLY outnumbered beyond reason...you're not going to win.

But you sure as hell can take a lot of them with you. Does anyone remember that epic battle the real Spartans fought in? Exactly.

Anyway you look at it Spartans + Elites should be able to outstrategize the COGs, and the Locust don't seem to be that smart to me.

swe_ak5
Not to mention a fleet of power star ships that can whip out an entire population on a planet

yeaah...but thats not really what the game is about. so gears of war can, and might be, better than halo Happy Dance

Major Snafu

You maybe outnumbered, but you can cause mad damage to the enemy before you either win or lose.

Case in point: Battle of Thermopylae, 480 B.C. Possibly one of the most famous last stand battles in history (it was also used as a reference in The Last Samurai). On one side, you got the Greeks, and on the other side, the Persians, who outnumber the Greeks 15-to-1.

Thermopylae was a narrow mountain pass in which the Greek city-states had the advantage, beating the Persians like a redheaded stepchild, infliciting massive losses for three days. But the Greeks were screwed over when a traitor showed the Persians a way around the pass.

300 Spartans and 700 Thespians held the Persian army at bay while the main Greek army retreated. The remaining 1,000 soldiers, led by the Spartan ruler, Leonidas I, made the Persians work for this victory.

Sure enough the Persians slaughtered the remaining Greeks at the pass, but not before losing over 20,000 men in the whole battle. The Greeks lost about 2,000, give or take.

I'm a history freak. Bah.

K73SK
Gears of War is much more realistic to what our future technology would comperehend, therefore...it's better, cause halo is nothing but dreams and fantasy to that technology.

Cha! Right
actually Unreal Tournament isn't coming out for the 360 not anymore lol I hate to say Epic decided not to make for the 360 so what are you talking about Superboy Prime.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by K73SK
Gears of War is much more realistic to what our future technology would comperehend, therefore...it's better, cause halo is nothing but dreams and fantasy to that technology.

How would you know what the future holds in store? And Gears of War isn't future technology. Gears takes place on another planet and no year has been given. For all you know it could be like Star Wars; talking place a long, long time ago.

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by Cha! Right
actually Unreal Tournament isn't coming out for the 360 not anymore lol I hate to say Epic decided not to make for the 360 so what are you talking about Superboy Prime.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154971.html?q=Unreal%20Tournament%202007

smile

Teh Deadman
The sentinels and flood aren't part of the UNSC or the Covenant's side. They're just a parasite species and Forerunner. The Locust will be able to make emergence holes where the Spartans and Covenant are and shoot them down. They also have Brumaks and Corpsers that'll be able to wipe out some of the forces.

Teh Deadman
Though in space, the Halo universe wins it hands down.
They have a crazy ammount of ships.

Pulse2
Halo is way over hyped, Gears of war wins hands down. This one man army idea is like soooo 4-5 years ago when games only allowed you to play with one character on screen who would save the world.

Halo is more of a game to market the 360 now then anything else sad GOW is much more fun then I had on Halo.

How would you know what the future holds in store? And Gears of War isn't future technology. Gears takes place on another planet and no year has been given. For all you know it could be like Star Wars; talking place a long, long time ago.

There is no proof of it yet, you can't make assumsions until there is solid proof. Although the fact that GOW featured on 360, they may consider watching how sales of UT07 go on PS3 before making thier decision, I believe that if they feel sales are not doing so well on PS3, they might then make the game multi-platform.

Cloud_VII
Are you kidding? Halo characters in a massive curbstomp.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.