A "what is the point" question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne
I just gotta say it

If this franchise/trilogy is not going to end J/E in some way then IMO Will and Elizabeth as characters need not have been brought back into the story at all. They ended movie 1 together they could have just stayed there.

They must have been brought back in order for them to all end in another direction otherwise W/E are just not needed in the story at all IMO.

They could have made this about Jack and a new love interest for him and a whole new story based on him..and we would have known Will and Elizabeth were all happy back in Port Royal where Jack left them in his last adventure.

just my 2 cents..

come to think of it.....if nothing new is going to emerge out of the ending of AWE when it comes to the characters of Jack, Will and Elizabeth then sequels were not needed at all IMO

What message do they actually establish as a franchise/trilogy if everything ends the same way as movie 1?? What do we actually learn about our favorite characters by the end of this trilogy?? That Jack can be a whore loving pirate who cares only for himself..and that Will/Elizabeth can be together forever?..wait a sec...didnt movie 1 tell us this already?..why make a whole 2 new movies to end on exactly the same page?

Ted and Terry have said repeatedly that they hate star wars 1 and 3 because they both end pretty much in exactly the same way, with the destruction of the death star

they have also said they like their characters to end up doing something that you never would have guessed from when we are first introduced to them..

a W/E ending and a Jack sailing off on his own ending is going with what they seem to dislike the very most about a trilogy..

And it also goes against what they say they like to see from their characters at the end of a story.

PirateDiva
i agree....and to go further, why complicate things more by adding a Jack/Liz kiss!!!! Thats not there for nothing!!

a-k-a-amber
i mean the first one left, at least me in the dust i thought something was going to happen on that island... and was dissapointed when it didn't even my bro who is the last person to watch a romance was mad because "the pirate should get the girl"

PirateDiva
^^ Me too i seriously thought something was gonna happen on that Island....it was set up perfectly for something to happen....but NOTHING DID!!! i was pissed!!

LovelyOne
seriously though..why spend millions on sequels if they are just ending pretty much back on page 1 with all of the charatcters?????

what was the point of that adventure?

Swann&Sparrow
T&T will redeem themselves. They will. Remember girls, there may be alot of rumors going around, alot of lies and bashing. But what we must all remember is that T&T are great writers, they will give us everthing we want. And believe me, they know we're thinking that, they understand that we need more than a prostitute pirate and a loveydovey Disney ending.

It's alright for Princess Diaries, for Ella Enchanted for whatever. Those are for little children that don't get the real world. The struggles of love and relationships. But T&T know that we do, us teens and grownups. We understand that true beauty is within. That it's not just the tan or the hair, it's the person.

And I believe that they will give us our Jack. Not the dreadlocks or the eyeliner or that damned golden tooth. Jack Sparrow, the man.

We will get him and William Turner and our beloved Lizzie Swann. We'll get their persons, not their clothes or makeup. Just them.

We will get our character development, we will get the people inside, the jewle unrefined. We will get our ending, our perfect ruined ending. Stained with deaths and wars for ages, but ours. And T&T's and most definatly, everyone in the Caribbean.

That's what we'll get in the end. And we damn as hell deserve it.

PirateDiva
i agree that would be a total outrage....the reason they do sequels is because their lives change and we're given the opportunity to see what happens after they supposebly live happily ever after!

which is as we saw that Will and Liz never made it to the alter....huge sign right there if u asked me!@!!

katelovespirate
S and S, that was sooo hot. Jack the man. sigh.

calypso
one reply

BILLION DOLLAR BOX OFFICE

'Show me the money' concept.

LovelyOne
Its like...Harry potter starting as a shy boy with no powers stuck with his aunt and uncle...and then ending the entire story as a shy person with no powers stuck with his aunt and uncle..JK would be royally slated for that. It would mean we wasted our money on a pointless adventure that need not have happened in the first place because Harry Potter ended up exactly the same as he started... what story ever does that?

PirateDiva
If they want 2 out of the 3 movies in this franchise in the BILLION dollar club then they will have to give us our Jack/Liz something!!!!

Swann&Sparrow
Thank you, I just believe that T&T realize our struggle and our passion for POTC in all. And I really do believe that we will get out J/E

a-k-a-amber
JAck and Elizabeth...
Will and elizabeth

hoestly which one sounds better?

PirateDiva
JACK AND ELIZABETH

just sounds exciting..lol

LovelyOne
Not even that..

it just needs to establish that we didn't waste our money on watching an adventure unfold and then have it wind up at stage 1 again??

I think that is so weird..

I remember other people who managed to get hold of the entire draft script..they said how weird it was that the characters appear to end up exactly where they started with movie 1..

something fishy is going on here with this ending..Something is being well hidden IMO

..T&T know thats not a good way to tell a story if the characters end in exactly the same kind of way as movie 1. Critics and the audience will notice and will not like it

This ending is supposed to be such a shocking and ambiguous ending that they are releasing in world wide on the same day..now a W/E and Jack sailing off on his own end is shocking and ambiguous how exactly?

We've seen it before..this ending is supposed to be "unexpected"

a-k-a-amber
hmmmmm lets think about this whats the most unexpected thing T&T can throw at us..........

PirateDiva
Hey if they were able to hide Barbossa at the end of DMC....im sure they have something up their sleeves for at worlds end too!!!

a-k-a-amber
Originally posted by PirateDiva
Hey if they were able to hide Barbossa at the end of DMC....im sure they have something up their sleeves for at worlds end too!!! yeah i didn't have a clue who it was i was sitting there thinking anamaria but nooooooooooooooo they pull the biggest thing they can

PirateDiva
Ya and it was amazing i want o have that feeling again u know!! it was great knowing that they were able to pull a fast one on me!!

LovelyOne
Its also weird how this ends pretty much as piracy is drawing to a close and Jack will need to find some other way to exist and live on in life or he will die..and he leaves basically heading out to be a pirate?

LovelyOne
ALSO..I thought Johnny said with AWE they took his character to a places he never thought was possible...but Jack supposedly ends exactly as he was in movie 1??? ...so why say that?

.....odd

a-k-a-amber
IT'S A CONSPIRACY !!!!!!!!! they are sooooooooooo hiding something

PirateDiva
It's probably in their contract to say things in interviews to get everyone twisted!!! soooooo frustrating!!

a-k-a-amber
lol

LovelyOne
I really do think something is being kept a well guarded secret when it comes to the ending of this trilogy.

If this is to be the end of one of the most popular trilogies ever...its going to have to end on something more exciting than what we have SEEN ALREADY from Jack Sparrow in movie 1...

there is a difference in the quality of a movie if it ends the right way or the wrong way..if it ends in a way that we have pretty much seen its not like WOW.and so its just "another typical ending to another typical movie"

its got to end on something amazing IMO if it wants to be remembered as an amazing trilogy.

a-k-a-amber
yeah i think the same thing if yall remember there was a rumor of the kiss going around pre-DMC but nothing about barbosa

PirateDiva
ya its being heavily guarded...like AREA 51 top secret status heavily guarded!!!

LovelyOne
I think I have some sort of idea what it may be but I really dont think we should talk about it openly here so I'm not going to say.laughing out loud

a-k-a-amber
PM?

LovelyOne
nope..

sorry sad
lol

a-k-a-amber
thats OK big grin big grin so lets see i DONT think it should end with a kid kinda wierd if you ask me very.......... predictable they need to end with a BANG!! lol

LovelyOne
you mean predictable if it was a W/E baby?

but...this whole baby idea was apprently scrapped before DMC was released...according to KttC etc..I think they debunked the baby rumor

a-k-a-amber
Originally posted by LovelyOne
you mean predictable if it was a W/E baby? well yes but a baby between jack and lizzie yeah would be unexpected oooo maybe she sleeps with both of them and then has the baby and we dont know who the father is.... flash into the future the boy looks too much like his mother to distinguish who's the dad Will has been the boys father all these years Jack left and it ends with The boy looking out at the sea singing yo-ho yo-ho it's a pirates life for me and seeing a bship with black sails on the horizon grinning jack-style then BANG it ends...

katelovespirate
hmmm... i still think that would be a bit Pearl Harbor... LOL smile

LovelyOne
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

shit...

a-k-a-amber
awwww it would wouldn't it?

a-k-a-amber
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

shit... *looks at curiously* hmmmmmmmmmmm

LovelyOne
no its a pretty cool sounding ending to me lol..

but it is VERY pearl harbour sick

actually I kinda hope the kid idea as been cut..it has apparently

a-k-a-amber
what did the above comment indicate Lovely?

a-k-a-amber
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

shit... this one!

katelovespirate
well my friend who was an extra said the scene was cut... but that was a while back...

LovelyOne
the "ummmmmmm shit"

it kinda hinted that I didnt like that ending..Its too pearl Harbour laughing out loud

I hate pearl harbours ending..it was a pondering thought..."ummmmm" then I realised it sounded Pearl Harbour and then came the "shit"

PirateDiva
Originally posted by katelovespirate
hmmm... i still think that would be a bit Pearl Harbor... LOL smile

nothing wrong with a little Pearl Harborish ending...lol

a-k-a-amber
i aint seen it in awhile i think i may watch it again...

LovelyOne
maybe the majority of the audience will love a pearl harbour ending laughing out loud

but then just look at how Pearl Harbour was received by the audience and critics laughing out loud

katelovespirate
wink i really think T and T are more clever than to pull such a cliche ending...

LovelyOne
Also, to bring to attention.

Some girl on Wordplay said she hated DMC then Terry said "if you hate DMC you are likely to utterly loathe AWE"

Well she was talking about character development.

And the main development being about Jack.

Well Jack's clear development in DMC is he ultimately gives up his freedom in order to make a commitment to Elizabeth. (basing this on boxofficemojo.com interview with T&T)

so if AWE is gonna be just as "bad" as DMC

then it must be heading that way for Jack..or to something similar

And in terms of Elizabeth. She does choose Jack by the end of it all once she realises she may have just removed someone she loves from her life forever...and this was after a bold statement that said "I CHOOSE WILL"

and Will?..well he's actually after his dad and is willing to allow Elizabeth to follow her "heart" it seems by the end of DMC..after seeing what he thinks was a BOLD STATEMENT THAT SHE LOVES JACK (imagining we haven't seen AWE yet of course)

katelovespirate
i'll just clap. smile good work there.

Surreal_44
If Will and Elizabeth ended up together, and Jack sails off, what will it mean for the franchise?

Well, it means that love is not some passing thing, that it is NOT fickle, that it doesn't just give up.

Maybe that's worthless to all of you, who claim to know the real world, but for me...it's nice. I like it. It means that even if the road ahead is diffcult, you can still make things work together as a couple.

Don't you think our world could actually use a little of that positive vibration?

Also, it would mean that Will and Elizabeth have learned all of the above, not to mention that they have to accept the good with the bad in each other, and that they don't necessarily have to choose the "good" person or the "pirate"...they can have and love both. big grin

As for Jack sailing off, possibly with the strumpets...well, it means that Jack has settled with himself being a good man, but at heart, a pirate. It means that he doesn't have to change to fit into the world. It means, that he keeps his identity as Jack.

Self-acceptance...full-circle....what else are you expecting?

To say that Jack should change who he is, because his kiss with Elizabeth was so "hot", doesn't seem...fair. He's Jack. He loves freedom.

The point of J/E kissing was to create intrigue and to cause a rift between Elizabeth and Will, which in turn will create character development. The same is true with Jack.

And I don't think TnT are going to have the movie end EXACTLY like the first film. The first film was truly the fairy-tale ending, while this ending is going to be more bittersweet. There will be deaths and losses, and many of the old legends will probably be gone.

We will be left wanting more, while at the same time, yearning for how things used to be. That's my take on what the ending will be like.

I do have to say though, if J/E IS going to happen, as long as it is done well, I wouldn't have a problem with it. big grin

LovelyOne
I was totally waiting for that^^ laughing out loud

but honestly...this movie cant really end the same as movie 1 did and to be honest..they way it looks..it "DOES"..I dont think the audience will like it if it does..not because its not J/E..just because it would feel like.."OK so what was the point?"

but I dont believe it..i feel something is being hidden..they totally hid Barbossa from the ending of DMC

LovelyOne
Surreal...I'm not even kidding here it appears to be just ending exactly the same..minor differences of course but essentially exactly the same..
thats a total..no no IMO.

.most people who have heard about the Jack sailing off into the sunset with the whores rumor..its like "WHAAAT?? exactly the same??"

its too much of an obvious statement..its an over exaggerated ending of movie 1 IMO...and they may be doing this to build up to something unexpected.

katelovespirate
i think i'll stay quiet this round smile

Surreal_44
Well, if it's exactly the same, then W/E would be kissing on the ramparts of Fort Charles, where Jack just fell off the edge and is swimming back to the Pearl, while Norrington goes off to cry (oh to see him cry....*fans self*).

And Gov. Swann is there looking on with fatherly amusement.

Does that mean Gov. Swann will be there? big grin

katelovespirate
yes. he will be green and slightly see through. next to him will be yoda. smile

LovelyOne
no exactly the same means...just that exactly the same W/E together..Jack on his own as a pirate..

T&T say thats what they hate about certain trilogies..when movie 1 ends exactly the same as movie 3...so why are they supposedly doing that?

Also Jack sailing off to be a pirate in a world where pirates are dying out??

Again why is Jack's supposed closing scene an over exaggerated version of movie 1??..that is not a great way for Jack to exit IMO..we've seen the greatest character ever end like that already..

its not going out with a bang..if the trilogy wants to end on a bang its gotta end on Jack Sparrow and something we haven't seen before IMO
thats not really a great ending for Jack Sparrow..it actually makes me think "doomed"

Also ever heard of the old sailor thing?? one that dies at sea goes straight back to Davy J's locker

one who dies on land goes to the Sailors Elysium

LovelyOne
I personally think if this ends..mainly with Jack Sparrow exactly the same as in movie 1 people will be feeling rather....annoyed because he is their fave character for one..He is why most people go to watch the movie in the first place and if he ends the same it would feel like we had wasted money on 2 sequels that need not have been made if he ended exactly the same as in movie 1....again its like "whats the point of that adventure then?"

and it does kinda apply to Lizzie and Will too..we've seen it..they could have just matured in Port royal..2 sequels and a Jack sparrow spanner didnt need to show this..they dont need to be in the movie if thats what the ending will be.

If they really were doing that then IMO they wasted a good deal of money on these sequels...just my opinion anyway.

LovelyOne
seriously WHAT is going to be a more memorable ending??

one where characters are tested and end up exactly the same as where they first where

or where the characters develop and in the end they stay true to that pattern of development..I'm thinking of mainly Jack here.

which is starting to give up freedom for something that will actually make him more complete in the long run..

willofthewisp
Surreal makes a good point. Hollywood very often doesn't think much of lasting love, especially in times of difficulty and facing challenges to a relationship. She said she wouldn't mind if they did J/E just as long as it was done well. Well, I would be disappointed, but I would still love the series if a well done W/E ending happened.

But I do have to say I don't think J/E would send any message that love is fleeting. No, not every J/E fan is realistic and worldly, and most of the time I would pick the safe guy over the dangerous one any day. It's just that Will hasn't proven himself that great a catch to me. He's okay, and a nice guy, but I just don't see what could make him capture someone like Liz's heart. They just don't seem well matched to me.

CaptinJackLover
Yes i totally agree that i would still love the series if they did a good WE ending but the way things happened in the end of DMC and the way the match *cough*not well at all*cough* i don think they will end up together or even have a good ending together...

but im a strong JE fan so it just might be my wonderful thoughts of Liz and Jack talking. Will is nothing like Will. Jack at leats has SOEMTHING in common with her that makes them go so well together.

and willo i must disagree with you that you would choose the good guy nay day....i would DEFINATLEY oick the bad guy...depenmdinhg on how bad he is....but im still young so its probably jsut a dream of mine and i will think differently eventually

Surreal_44
Eh, I don't know what makes Jack such a great catch either. wink

A J/E ending would be a huge stretch of not only the characters, but the entire plot, and of Disney itself.

As I said, though, if TnT manage to make it a thoughtful bringing about of said relationship, I would be happy....

Unless they end up changing Jack, which would annoy me. That's one of my biggest things about J/E...I think Jack would have to change and I don't think he should. big grin

willofthewisp
Well, Captainjacklover, I do love Jack. I think he's awesome and I've caught myself fantasizing. I'll tell the truth.

But there is fantasy and reality. Think about what the equivalent of a pirate is today. Someone who goes from place to place and causes complete destruction, ruining people's jobs and possibly their lives. The closest thing I can come up with is a terrorist.

Now to be fair and unbiased, Jack is a great guy deep down and the movie stresses that not all pirates are evil, in fact, some of them good. But by definition, they wound innocent people by stealing their goods at the very least. So it is really abnormal for Liz to sympathize with them, being from a town that is infested by them.

And then imagine one of them starts to come onto you. Realistically, I would probably make Jack out to trying to add me to his "collection" and wouldn't put up with it. It's to Liz's credit she can dish it back out and isn't afraid of him. But would you really go for the bad guy? A guy that does things as bad as what pirates do? Think about it.

But I'm marrying a military man and am in the military myself, so let me just tell you, you can have a good guy who can be every bit a pirate at heart. I found my Jack.

CaptinJackLover
awww that was sooo sweet that last line you said! yes i agree with you that a good guy can be like that but like i said im young and fantasize a lot! and the bad guys are all that i fall for..of course not like pirates but but they have that bad boy image and i love that but ur right i must say that i wouldnt fall for Jack knowing he did horrible things to people but if i saw good in him i would try and make him better if i loved him enoguh or if he loved me enough

willofthewisp
Someone with the right amount of danger to them is best. Jack just has a little too much for me if we're in the realm of reality.

CaptinJackLover
i love Jack just the way he is...i mean you have to forgive his sins evntually, and we all know he is a good man at heart, he is jjust afraid to show it but with the right woman *couhg* LIZ *cough* he can learn to not show that bad boy image all the time and learn to get rid of it when he needs to

PirateDiva
Originally posted by willofthewisp
Well, Captainjacklover, I do love Jack. I think he's awesome and I've caught myself fantasizing. I'll tell the truth.

But there is fantasy and reality. Think about what the equivalent of a pirate is today. Someone who goes from place to place and causes complete destruction, ruining people's jobs and possibly their lives. The closest thing I can come up with is a terrorist.

Now to be fair and unbiased, Jack is a great guy deep down and the movie stresses that not all pirates are evil, in fact, some of them good. But by definition, they wound innocent people by stealing their goods at the very least. So it is really abnormal for Liz to sympathize with them, being from a town that is infested by them.

And then imagine one of them starts to come onto you. Realistically, I would probably make Jack out to trying to add me to his "collection" and wouldn't put up with it. It's to Liz's credit she can dish it back out and isn't afraid of him. But would you really go for the bad guy? A guy that does things as bad as what pirates do? Think about it.

But I'm marrying a military man and am in the military myself, so let me just tell you, you can have a good guy who can be every bit a pirate at heart. I found my Jack.

Willo that last part was beautiful i wish u all the best!!!

But when the Love bug bites...it doesnt matter if he is good or bad....ur in LOVE!! and in this case Liz has herself a little bit of both!!!

LovelyOne
Originally posted by willofthewisp
Surreal makes a good point. Hollywood very often doesn't think much of lasting love, especially in times of difficulty and facing challenges to a relationship. She said she wouldn't mind if they did J/E just as long as it was done well. Well, I would be disappointed, but I would still love the series if a well done W/E ending happened.

Oh yes i agree. I dont mind if this ends W/E..I'm just having trouble getting my head around why they even made 2 sequels if its gonna end exactly the same pretty much.

I'ts just....weird IMO

because for one they say they hate that about trilogies..

and it also goes against what they say they like to see from a character by the end of a story.

I would rather this be about Jack realising that some things in life are better than material possessions...but no..they are leaving him as if he loves that kind of stuff when in reality inmovie 1 we can see he's pretty weak and broken as a man despite having lots of material things there..

I dont understand what kind of human being can honestly say they prefer mterial things and whores over human love and friendship.

Is Jack to leave us an egotistic, material comfort loving what not just like he was at the start of movie 1? Or was their an actual point of bringing Elizabeth and Will back into his life?

cuz if it was never their intent for Jack to be different by the end of the trilogy then why on earth show him going in that direction in DMC?? People are going to obviously grow fond of the idea if they see thier fave character be a hero for someone else other than himself for once.

willofthewisp
I would only be a little disappointed if it was W/E for two reasons:
1. I find J/E a more interesting, realistic, hotter pairing.
2. It just seems like of all Jack's adventures, the ones he has with Will and Liz should stand out, be the great adventures. Like Han Solo, he had his run-ins and wild times before, but it was teaming up with Luke and Leia that changed his life and gave him the ultimate adventure. That's how I see this time the kids are having with Jack. They both have to hold some special place in Jack's heart just because this is the part of Jack's life the audience gets to see.

So if W/E stay together and Jack goes off on his own, how does that change him in any way?

LovelyOne
it doesnt^^^ thats the point..it feels like the lead hero set off on a pointless adventure..I mean what was the point of them coming back into his life if its not to change him in some way?

willofthewisp
Yeah, I just don't want Will and Liz to go down as just another chapter in his memoirs.

LovelyOne
yeah same...especially Elizabeth..because those two developed onscreen together in DMC..

a-k-a-amber
seriously WHAT is going to be a more memorable ending??

one where characters are tested and end up exactly the same as where they first where

or where the characters develop and in the end they stay true to that pattern of development..I'm thinking of mainly Jack here.

which is starting to give up freedom for something that will actually make him more complete in the long run.. so are you saying you think it would be better for Jack to give up piracy (technically from the stuff Gores saying piracy is cming to an end)for elizabeth and go on land to live with have baby sparrows and die happy? than leave and go back out into a world where there aren't pirates anymore?
if you are i believe you i have a magazine cant find the article right now (im in school) but when i get home I'll look It's an interview with T&T and they say Jack's character was going to have very dramatic changes and that the third movie will dive deeper into emotions it will get more adult and more darker and hopefully people will like the ending like i said i will have o find the exact thing when i get home but it's along those lines

calypso
Woo, more adult. This may be looking up after all.

LovelyOne
apparently he realizes something about himself that stems from DMC..and only with Liz and his dad can he overcome the struggle..and its at this point that Elizabeth realizes where her heart Truly lies

that can go either way though..

but I have to say. I think Jack may start to mirror Davy Jones in terms of character.. despite not stabbing the heart.

and of course no one is going to want to see that. If Liz cares for him in the slightest will she help him?

There's that interesting scene thats supposed to be in the trailer that everyone just takes as a joke as usual "because its Jack"..roll eyes (sarcastic) ..but IMO its revealing something about his character.

Its the scene that was discussed (I think) on KttC they where Jack asks if anyone came back because they actually missed him..and no one raises a hand but the monkey??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..so hilarious..so typical jack ...Its funny yes but at the same time rather sad when you think about it.

doesn't that just tell you in a subtle way that Jack is saying "I wish someone cared about me enough to miss me" since when does Jack care if people miss him or not?

I get rather irritated at people that just see Jack as someone who is constantly carefree, only cares about material things and whores and is always just funny to watch..he's not always funny to watch, he's rather tragic at times and has much more depth to him than that....even way back with movie 1 we see this part of him..he's a rather pathetic human being under the shell of material objects and the legend....he has nothing in life apart from those things.

Mistypirate
Only the monkey? eek! the hell with everybody else, I'm rooting now for a Jack/Monkey ending big grin

Swann&Sparrow
A post from WordPlayer, alittle mishappen occured but I think this post of mine is still relavent here.

-----------------------

I'm very happy you brought that up. JACK IS NOT ONE DIMENIONAL. How could you say such things about a person, he's not just a name scribbled on a peice of paper, he's a person.

Honestly, I've met many people that say he's a one dimeional character and that he can't change or that he doesn't want to. But what surprises me is that a person such as yourself has the guts to outright say that he's nothing but a flat cartoon character that was born purely to entertain us.

He is not. Jack Sparrow is a human being, his past makes him. Everything that happend is the reason why he is who he is. His life that we do not know of has anything and everything to do about CotBP, DMC and the upcoming AWE.

I find it quite rude and insulting to say that a character (being the key word) that was born in the loving light of his creators (T&T) is nothing but a mere object to laugh at. What has become of this world?

Is is even possible to not see how real he is? Jack is everyone of us, he's gone through everything in his life. He came from royalty and fell into crime and piracy. Our race has also suffered the conciquences of such actions, we've all made mistakes and we've all owned up to them. Having to pay a great deal or not, we've all learned from it.

Apparently, Jack Sparrow still has some learning to do. I find him to be a child, alittle boy stuck in the body of a grown man. He cannot figure out what he wants, but he knows in his heart what he craves is the freedom to live and do what he wishes.

If you could say that he's one dimetional, then you are nothing but a post on the internet, then I am nothing but a voice in the wind. We are all people, we all have pasts that mold ourselves as of now. We could never be here if not for that second grade teacher or the crush you couldn't get over in highschool.

That's what makes us, us. And that's what makes Jack, Jack.

I honestly have never heard of a person so rude as to acuse Jack of being a plate of metal that would never, ever change. How could you be so sure, when you were three how do you think you'd become?

An astronaught, an athelete? What are you now. A lawer, an acountant a person so addicted to the net that they've deteriated into nothingness? What I'm trying to say is that nothing stays the same, nothing. Unless you're locked up in a little box you can't not change. Even then the isolation would get to you and drive you to utter insantity.

Even then there is change.

So think again when you say these things. When you brand a man a pirate and nothing else. He is a man first and foremost, not a scallywag of the sea. A man. Men change, women change. Everyone changes and never stay the same.

I honestly think you must appologise to T&T for that awfully rude remark about one of their most cherished, loved, intellegent and brutishly beautiful characters.

-------------------------------

This was in response to some one who said that Jack was nothing but some character to bring us cheap laughs.

Mistypirate
Thanks for bringing this here, I read that and thought it was interesting. big grin

Swann&Sparrow
I find it interesting though. Johnny Depp has always had a brilliant talent for acting. His characters have a natural sense of humour, as does he. But some where along the line, they turn into tragedies. But wait, they were tragedies all along.

Jack's sad character in some parts of DMC and AWE are not just out of the blue. He's not just a guy that changes to acustom to your entertainment. I really don't think he cares about if you wanna laugh at him or not, Jack doesn't even know that people are watching him. He's always had that miserable side, that horrible past that molded him to make him the man he is today.

T&T know that. They made him. I believe strongly that Johnny wouldn't let his character get trapped in a cage for little children to point and laugh at. He's a smart, clever and loveable pirate. It's his personality that makes the money, and maybe the cheap laughs do bring in revenue. But remember, T&T's first and most important goal is to make a movie, but not just a movie who's only purpose is to make money.

They have a dedication to the characters, their plot and their beautiful tale of pirates. I don't think they'd let their beloved Jack become a laughing stock. I believe at first, POTC was made to bring money in. But over time, T&T realized that they made a mistake. They brought the shallow impression on Jack and even to a point Will and Lizzie.

So I believe they made DMC to clear up that mistake. To show the persons underneath, not the materials that surround them.

Truly I believe that AWE will be magnificant. Whatever the ship, whatever the day or month. No matter how long it takes, it will always be worth it. Keep the faith, watch the logic.

And believe. Otherwise we're doomed.

ToddianGirl
Yes thank you SwannandSparrow for posting that. I loved reading it I agree 100% with what they said. There more to Jack Sparrow then people are willing to admit. "Jack Sparrow More Then Meets The Eye!" LOL I had to put the old transformers slogan in kind of.

Swann&Sparrow
Lol, brilliant. I'm blushing. Guess who wrote that...whistle

big grin

But I really do think that. I just got so angry that a person could do that, but apparently it wasn't a real post...I don't know if I'm alowed to say more, I might get some one in trouble.

LovelyOne
Will people want their most loved character to just remain incomplete for an eternity or will they give him more closure than that with this trilogy?

..I mean..the world is changing the point was made in DMC..The very title "at worlds end" suggests pirates are sure to die out and the new age is coming..will Jack fit into it?..Or will he die

oh yes the supposed "Jack leaving movie 3 going after immortality" ending...what a horrid ending for Jack sick

Swann&Sparrow
Jack being immortal is wrong. Sick and wrong. That just doesn't make sense for him to go through such adventures and want to live forever. I really don't want him to do that. It would be a waste.

sad

katelovespirate
yeah that would be WAYYYY too Indiana Jones.

Swann&Sparrow
*Sigh*

Jack is man of many personalities. That's what I love about him. He's not just an Indiana Jones, with his precious hat. He's not just another Shrek, with his arrogence and poor hygen. Not another Z (AntZ) with too many thoughts to speak.

He's his own man, his own person. He's unique. I'm not sure if you've all seen the movie I-Robot. It's a beautiful story, I asure you. When Sonny was being decomissioned, he had reminded himself that he was unique. Not just another robot to serve the human race. I think Jack is like that too, not just another character on a screen made to make people laugh.

He's unique.

I'm not saying that POTC is like I-Robot, not much alike in my view. But there are always some similarities between movies. I just really love that quote from Sonny, he reminds me of Jack.

Our poor lead male, with a tragic past. Trying to deal with is emotions. And in the end, he was left to find his own purpose. And as Dal Spooner said, that's what it is to be truly free.

a-k-a-amber
okay heres the full article

FilmFantasy: when you jump to Pirates 3, what happens to Jack in that movie? I'm just assuming there has to be an evolution from 3 to 3.

Terry:Inthe third film you do go into a different place. Also three being the finale of the three movies, it just naturally gets a little more adult, a little darker, a little more sophisticated in terms of the issues. You can move into the realm of the final ultimate choices and into the realm of "what do you REALLY stand for?" and "what do the characters ultimately want?" By then I also think it's more interesting to see Jack Sparrow evolve and change. For the most part, we don't really hold by the notion that characters HAVE to change. I think some of the most endearing characters are so because no matter what the world does around them, they stay the same. I think that's Jack Sparrow. But, in 3, to allow Jack Sparrow to be effected and changed by the events that happen to him, I think that's kind of a natural thing to go to at that point.

the bold words were in italic

okay so what do ya think?

LovelyOne
yeah..Jacks gonna end it exactly the same as he did in movie 1...unless they are hiding a twist up their sleeves somewhere.

he may not actually change but be revealed for who he really is and always has been.

I think he has to change because he cant exactly stay the same man he is because as a pirtate he's going to die..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.