I have been thinking about jumping on the final fastasy band wagon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
I been playing Sony's consols since 1999, and I own nearly 100 playstation games (PS1, PS2, PSP, soon PS3).

I have never played a final fastasy. I would like to start with VII, except that game is selling for boku money right now

dirkdirden

OB1-adobe
Why is it so expensive?

OB1-adobe
Why is it so expensive?

ESB -1138
Try getting a GBA Final Fantasy game like I & II: Dawn of Souls or IV Advance. Those are very fun.

Or if you have a DS get Final Fantasy III DS.

dirkdirden

SaTsuJiN
I would recommend to try a final fantasy thats sorta recent and
wont cost you a bundle

unless of course you don't mind the graphics..

Screenshots :
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/finalfantasy7/screenindex.html

JToTheP
If you only play 1-6, you won't be on the band wagon, because the fanboys only love 7 and above royally.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by JToTheP
If you only play 1-6, you won't be on the band wagon, because the fanboys only love 7 and above royally.

Please the good old NES and SNES Final Fantasy games are the best. Before they started going into these over complicated stories that has 15 seconds of gameplay and 20 minutes of cutscenes even in the midst of a battle (Here's looking at you Final Fantasy X).

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I would recommend to try a final fantasy thats sorta recent and
wont cost you a bundle

unless of course you don't mind the graphics..

Screenshots :
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/finalfantasy7/screenindex.html

I don't mind PS1 graphics at all. Actually there is something about them that I like or find interesting.

From Ps1 on, video games really havn't changed that much if you really think about it. Ever since 3D environments, FMV sequences, CD quality audio came into the picture on PS1- things have sort of stayed the same.

Since FPS's came out, all that has changed are graphics and game play.

I guess we'll wait until the PS9 comes ot and its a chip that you get installed in your brain until things change.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I don't mind PS1 graphics at all. Actually there is something about them that I like or find interesting.

From Ps1 on, video games really havn't changed that much if you really think about it. Ever since 3D environments, FMV sequences, CD quality audio came into the picture on PS1- things have sort of stayed the same.

Since FPS's came out, all that has changed are graphics and game play.

I guess we'll wait until the PS9 comes ot and its a chip that you get installed in your brain until things change.

So very true spoken like a true gamer.

Kumar
yeah, i would recommend downloading the PC version. Its the easiest way to get it, not mention its free >_>

but yeah, you didn't hear that from me either...

SaTsuJiN
lol a chip in your brain... it'll make you rebel against your country in the name of sony

OB1-adobe
lol a chip in your brain... it'll make you rebel against your country in the name of sony

Wars will be fought, people will die. Only no one left there living room.

Checked around town, no FFVII

JToTheP
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Please the good old NES and SNES Final Fantasy games are the best. Before they started going into these over complicated stories that has 15 seconds of gameplay and 20 minutes of cutscenes even in the midst of a battle (Here's looking at you Final Fantasy X).

Explain that to a fanboy who swears 7 is one of the greatest games ever made, when it isn't, it's overrated trash. I'm buying FF3 for DS, and if I enjoy it I'll buy 1-5 on GBA. I'm glad I bought 7 used, and regret buying 10.

OB1-adobe
do these games have a continuing story with same characters or is it the different every time.

Kenshinswife
i personally think 10 was the best...10-2 you can bash but 10 was on point my personal favorite...personally i think 9 was the crappiest (from 7-and on) and i dont really think 7 is all that everyone makes it out to be it was a nice storyline and all...best of its time but when you start including more recent versions of ff it wouldnt be considered...the greatest.
and no...none of the games connect excep for x and x-2. each times its a whole new cast and scenario and time setting

BackFire
My opinion as to which are the best ones:

1. FFVI
2. FFVII
3. FFX
4. FFXII
5. FFV
6. FFIX
7. FFIV
8. FFVIII

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Kenshinswife
i personally think 10 was the best...10-2 you can bash but 10 was on point my personal favorite...personally i think 9 was the crappiest (from 7-and on) and i dont really think 7 is all that everyone makes it out to be it was a nice storyline and all...best of its time but when you start including more recent versions of ff it wouldnt be considered...the greatest.
and no...none of the games connect excep for x and x-2. each times its a whole new cast and scenario and time setting

Well you will always find some things here and there that seem to point to another Final Fantasy game. But that's to be expected.

Darth Jello
I would get out ye olde DS and play Dawn of Souls, III DS, and IV-VI Advance. Those are pretty much the definitive releases of the first 6 games.

As a general rule, the odd numbered games feature characters fighting purely evil forces while even numbered games usually involve a plot involing a rebellion against an empire.

SaTsuJiN
and regret buying 10.

sad I liked X ... not 'all' of it mind you.. like everyone outside the main cast put no emotion into their dialogue.. but I felt the main cast more than delivered.. I suppose veteran FF'ers would find this the easiest FF, but its hard for me cuz I suck at FF messed

as for 7 being overrated.. yes.. but I dont feel that it was trash.. it was as immersive as an FF should be.. and I really liked the materia system, even though 6's esper system was much better

I havent played an FF earlier than 6, so I really have no idea bout the whole 'crystal' theme it used to have

So far I've played : 6 , 7 , 10 , 11

8 looked horrible.. 9 was considered 'back to FFs roots' so I didnt try it, and I never finished 10 so I didnt feel the need to get 12 embarrasment

-----------------------------

IMO, 7 is a good start for someone beginning FF series... but if you really wanted to feel the root of final fantasy, I would say give the ones before 6 a try..

Burning thought
MEH imho i thnk that most of the FF series are pretty crap, i mean cmon....some of the stories are probably good but they dont follow on from each other, i swear some of them are from completly diffrent worlds?, they may as well be called something completly diffrent from FF

another thing i dislike is the fact that the characters, in X and X-2 look ridiculously young for their age..and cmon, is Tidus really threatening looking to you, i mean look at other games, Dante from DMC, Kratos from God of war, Metroud even looks powerful, Auren from FF looks like a serious character but Tidus....he sucks big time...i also dont like CLoud and Sepithroth from the other series, Cloud thinks hes a bad ass yet hes a skinny bio enginered dude, similiar with Sephiroth, only hes got long enough hair to get traped in doors and would be a weakness if Cloud simply pulled him by his hair

however beyond everything else i think i just dont like Turn based RPG's, so slow half the time, "woo hoo lets just sit and w8 for my 5 characters to slowly run up and hit the enemy", LAME!!!....whats wrong with actually running up and actually fighting proply..gosh....FF even made an MMORPG....as if they would have a chance of making something as good as WoW out of that....plz FF get out of here we have our Fantasy MMORPG ty very much lol

anyway enough of bashing.....i like Aeons....having to watch it every time it came out for a few minutes what jarring but the first time for their summon and their moves was nice to watch

Kayne Archeron
well, i'd definately start with some of the higher praised ones, such as 6 through 10, or 12.

and Dante from DMC looks pretty young too, i don't see why you used him as a comparison whatsoever

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Burning thought
MEH imho i thnk that most of the FF series are pretty crap, i mean cmon....some of the stories are probably good but they don't follow on from each other, i swear some of them are from completly diffrent worlds?, they may as well be called something completly diffrent from FF

well.. thats the trademark to final fantasy..
-different world
-different characters
-different story
-always have a Cid (I don't know about biggs and wedge)
-always have a love interest
-world in trouble

another thing i dislike is the fact that the characters, in X and X-2 look ridiculously young for their age..and cmon, is Tidus really threatening looking to you, i mean look at other games, Dante from DMC, Kratos from God of war, Metroud even looks powerful, Auren from FF looks like a serious character but Tidus....he sucks big time...i also don't like CLoud and Sepithroth from the other series, Cloud thinks hes a bad ass yet hes a skinny bio enginered dude, similiar with Sephiroth, only hes got long enough hair to get traped in doors and would be a weakness if Cloud simply pulled him by his hair
Honestly, I think Tidus' japanese voice is muuuuuch much better..
if you heard it you might view tidus a little differently... his english voice is really really whiny and annoying.. but when he's talking english in a regular tone the acting is ok

however beyond everything else i think i just don't like Turn based RPG's, so slow half the time, "woo hoo lets just sit and w8 for my 5 characters to slowly run up and hit the enemy", LAME!!!....whats wrong with actually running up and actually fighting proply..gosh....FF even made an MMORPG....as if they would have a chance of making something as good as WoW out of that....plz FF get out of here we have our Fantasy MMORPG ty very much lol
I definitely agree.. turn based is just completely retarded,
but again its an FF trademark.. as well as Active Time Battle (ATB)

anyway enough of bashing.....i like Aeons....having to watch it every time it came out for a few minutes what jarring but the first time for their summon and their moves was nice to watch the summons have always been eye candy since their inception... but it was only FF7 and onward that made them into a cinematic buffet

JToTheP
sad
So far I've played : 6 , 7 , 10 , 11

8 looked horrible.. 9 was considered 'back to FFs roots' so I didnt try it, and I never finished 10 so I didnt feel the need to get 12 embarrasment

-----------------------------

IMO, 7 is a good start for someone beginning FF series... but if you really wanted to feel the root of final fantasy, I would say give the ones before 6 a try..

9 is the 10 year anniversary game, that's why it's like the originals 1-6, and BETTER at that mind you IMO. 7 started this tragedy that has become the poor-ass-excuse for an RPG series, which solely depends on 3-D graphics entirely, and shabby "new" battle systems.

To be fair, I love 8 & 9, so I think we both got each other here. I think Irvine is the shit in 8, and I just loved 9 entirely, and hell at the time I didn't know much about the series and had no clue it was the 10th anniversary game. So going off 9, I think I can say I'll probably enjoy 1-6, considering I have 3 coming to me for Christmas I hope.

OB1-adobe
I cannot find Final fanasty VII anywhere without taking out a loan sad

When did this started happening?

SaTsuJiN
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?fsop=1&fsoo=1&keyword=on&from=R3&strKw=+final+fantasy+vii&siteid=0&satitle=final+fantasy+vii&sacat=1249%26catref%3DC6

most of these prices arent that bad... where are you getting the wallet killer prices from?

Lana
PS1 games are no longer made, and as most people think that FFVII is the greatest game ever made, it's hard as hell to get your hands on.

Really, I don't know which would be best for you to play first. My favorite is FFX, personally - I love the story, the characters, the battle system, and the level up system. FFVII I've really not played more than just the first few hours, and that was about...umm...8 and a half years ago? Heh...FFVIII I thought was good, I liked it a lot, in fact. Just the plot kind of falls apart towards the end and junctioning and drawing magic really gets annoying after a while. FFIX I've owned for nearly 5 years but have never finished. I want to play it, I'd love to finish, because of what I did play, I loved the plot and the characters...but the battle system is a fatal flaw to that game. It's simply far too slow. Random encounters took WAY too long. I'm playing FFXII at the moment, which is the newest game, and I really like it a lot, but it's also very different from previous FF games - the turn-based random encounters have been done away with entirely, for starters; but at the same time it reminds me a lot of FFX.

So I suppose the best thing to do is to look up info on the various games and see which sounds the most appealing to you.

OB1-adobe
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?fsop=1&fsoo=1&keyword=on&from=R3&strKw=+final+fantasy+vii&siteid=0&satitle=final+fantasy+vii&sacat=1249%26catref%3DC6

most of these prices arent that bad... where are you getting the wallet killer prices from?

amazon

K73SK
how did get 7 get so popular...the only ones i actually liked were tactics (gba) and 8....

i heard bout 7 being awesome, so i went and got it...it was a waste to me

BackFire
9 is the 10 year anniversary game, that's why it's like the originals 1-6, and BETTER at that mind you IMO. 7 started this tragedy that has become the poor-ass-excuse for an RPG series, which solely depends on 3-D graphics entirely, and shabby "new" battle systems.

To be fair, I love 8 & 9, so I think we both got each other here. I think Irvine is the shit in 8, and I just loved 9 entirely, and hell at the time I didn't know much about the series and had no clue it was the 10th anniversary game. So going off 9, I think I can say I'll probably enjoy 1-6, considering I have 3 coming to me for Christmas I hope.

You like FFVIII more than VII or X? Really?

That was far and away the weakest game in the series. "Oh yeah, there's a witch in the future who wants to compress time for some reason, she's the boss now, go stop her, oh, and for added inspiration, since we didn't bother creating tension between her and the protagonist, she's trying to take over Rinoa. Why? I dunno, we wrote ourselves into a corner and this was the easiest thing we could do. It creates the illusion of a deep plot development when it reality it's just a random excuse to end the game. What's that? you're asking why we decided to explain all of this in a single dialogue with Cid, rather then breaking the information up and feeding it to you slowly, developing it a bit here and there, coherently? We got lazy, and sine FFVII was such a big success, we needed to get FFVIII out as quickly as possible, even if that meant obviously rushing the finale and pulling a boss out of our ass at the last moment".

At least FFVIII had that kickass cardgame. That was awesome. And it was really fun watching Gaurdian force animations over and over again.....not! Haha.

IX is sweet, though. That one has some classic characters. Vivi was great.

Kenshinswife
Originally posted by Lana
PS1 games are no longer made, and as most people think that FFVII is the greatest game ever made, it's hard as hell to get your hands on.

Really, I don't know which would be best for you to play first. My favorite is FFX, personally - I love the story, the characters, the battle system, and the level up system.

You're a genious well said.

And in regaurds to the whole "Tidus and his whiny voice" buisiness. I think thats what made him special and my absoulte favorite. He didnt put on that whole stupid facade of trying to act older than he was (17) or trying to be super hardcore you could totally relate to him. They had the best cast and story plot.

And i personally dont think 8 was bad i thought it was pretty nice.

BackFire
8 wasn't bad, just the worst FF game so far. It was still a good game.

InnerRise
I actually found a Final Fantasy VII game with ease. I purchased mine late last year/earlier this year from Amazon.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

JToTheP
Originally posted by BackFire
You like FFVIII more than VII or X? Really?

That was far and away the weakest game in the series. "Oh yeah, there's a witch in the future who wants to compress time for some reason, she's the boss now, go stop her, oh, and for added inspiration, since we didn't bother creating tension between her and the protagonist, she's trying to take over Rinoa. Why? I dunno, we wrote ourselves into a corner and this was the easiest thing we could do. It creates the illusion of a deep plot development when it reality it's just a random excuse to end the game. What's that? you're asking why we decided to explain all of this in a single dialogue with Cid, rather then breaking the information up and feeding it to you slowly, developing it a bit here and there, coherently? We got lazy, and sine FFVII was such a big success, we needed to get FFVIII out as quickly as possible, even if that meant obviously rushing the finale and pulling a boss out of our ass at the last moment".

At least FFVIII had that kickass cardgame. That was awesome. And it was really fun watching Gaurdian force animations over and over again.....not! Haha.

IX is sweet, though. That one has some classic characters. Vivi was great.

I hate 7 and 10 with a passion. Yuna and Tidus are by far completely pathetic lead characters. Auron was the best in 10 by far. I thought the sphere grid in 10 blew horribly, and you could get far too strong and not even Sin could match your stats at the ending battles.

I hated the card game in 8, loved the fighting system, love Irvine the absolute most, Zell's limit break is better then ALL of Tifa's in 7 IMO. I loved the Guardian Force system in 8, customizing the battle menu for each character, junction system, I hated Rinoa horribly aside from her being in cinemas as part of the plot. I loved Ultimacia's castle at the end. 8's only downfall is no experience in battle, but that's what Cactuar island is for.

7 has got to be the worst RPG I ever played purely because if the battle system is horrendous like 7's there is no way to get into it. The plot was average to me, basically the same shit the Final Fantasy series is notorious for. I liked Red XIII, Tifa, Barret and Vincent the most, I hate Sephiroth because he's overrated horribly, Cloud I couldn't tolerate from the beginning, and he got even worse to me when Aeris died because I didn't like her either.

My main problem with 7's battle system was the ridiculous amount of damage you could take in battle even if you purchased the best armor available, and leveled up to what SEEMED like a decent level. 7 's battle system was too heavily dependent off of Materia because the Limit Breaks are useless if you don't have the best available weapon at that point in the game. So Materia and Limit Breaks are just as petty using over and over again as the Guardian Force's cut-scenes.

The series is just too dependent off 3-d graphics rather then good story telling for my taste. I took more to Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Twisted Metal, and Metal Gear Solid at the time. Most of which used in-game graphics to tell the stories with the exception of introductions, endings, and a few in-game cinemas.

9 was the 10 year anniversary of the series, so of course it would have most of the same traits as the original 6 before the series put graphics and sales before good story-telling.

BackFire
Eh, you do realize you could beat the boss of VIII with Squall's final limit break, right? A one shot kill, basically.

Bosses are easy in all FF games if you get your characters to be their strongest, aside from IX since you couldn't exceed 9999 damage in a single turn, ever.

So you didn't like the card game in 8? Wowzers, that was probably the best minigame of the series, so deep that they could have made an entire game just out of that, alone.

How could you love the fighting system in 8, but hate it in 7? There's almost no difference, aside from the terrible draw system and the lame reliance on GF's, who had stupidly long animations after every summon, that you HAD to watch.

I never understood the praise VIII got, the game has so many flaws that just go ignored, big flaws, too.

Lana
FF8 was good but very flawed. I can't stand the drawing/junction system, it just made everything so tedious and lead to so much micromanagement in seeing what magic you had and keeping max amounts at all times if possible.

Ultimecia was a joke, and the plot just sort of got lost about three-fourths of the way through and they went "well Edea's not really the problem here's what really is and we'll cram it all in in 10 minutes and now you're off to go beat this random monster and have no real idea why". Plus as BF said, she's a one-shot kill. That's just a bit silly, I think.

Quite frankly, FFXII is the only FF game I've played yet at all where I like the main characters. I despised Squall and Rinoa, and liked Tidus and Yuna a bit more, but not much. So I definitely don't base how much I like the game off the main characters.

And I loved the sphere grid in FFX, because if you want to go hunting around in Omega Ruins to get everything in the game, you really do need to go overboard. I played through once and leveled up on the sphere grid pretty much the minimal amount I needed to, went into Omega Ruins after defeating Sin, and STILL got wiped out almost immediately.

JToTheP
Eh, you do realize you could beat the boss of VIII with Squall's final limit break, right? A one shot kill, basically.

Bosses are easy in all FF games if you get your characters to be their strongest, aside from IX since you couldn't exceed 9999 damage in a single turn, ever.

So you didn't like the card game in 8? Wowzers, that was probably the best minigame of the series, so deep that they could have made an entire game just out of that, alone.

How could you love the fighting system in 8, but hate it in 7? There's almost no difference, aside from the terrible draw system and the lame reliance on GF's, who had stupidly long animations after every summon, that you HAD to watch.

I never understood the praise VIII got, the game has so many flaws that just go ignored, big flaws, too.

Well, I never really enjoyed Squall, considering a gunblade is just ridiculous. Now Irvine's rifles were a joy to use, and Zell's limit break.

Well 9, you don't even need to surpass level 50 to beat it, you just have to hope for the best, as in LEAST status effects from attacks like Mustard Bomb.

I don't like any of the mini-games in any of the final fantasy games I played.

I don't see how 7 is any different with the tedious summons, and limit break upon limit break.

The Limit Break trick with Circle I think in 8 is Squaresoft's own fault.

And I will never understand the praise VII got, graphics don't make a good game, not with characters like VII.

Oddly enough though, I love the movie, maybe because it starts with the Secret Ending with Red XIII considering Red is the shit forever.

Vincent_pwns
If you don't like the way the other ff games are, get FF VII: Dirge of Cerberus. It's more of a first person shooter thingy like Devil may Cry mixed in with FF. It's set 1 year after Advent Children and 3 years after the original FFVII (I think...). (But it's nothing like FFVII)
Plus it's got Vincent! big grin

Kayne Archeron
the thing people didn't take enough advantage of in 8 is the junction system. you can't just go on a leveling-cruise; you've really got to apply junctioning the right spells. if you do that, then you won't have to rely on summons so much. and i think 8 had the best minigame in the series.
Also, the reason 7 was so popular is because it was the first FF to get so much advertisement in the states, though i think 6 is worthy of more praise

BackFire
Well, I never really enjoyed Squall, considering a gunblade is just ridiculous. Now Irvine's rifles were a joy to use, and Zell's limit break.

Well 9, you don't even need to surpass level 50 to beat it, you just have to hope for the best, as in LEAST status effects from attacks like Mustard Bomb.

I don't like any of the mini-games in any of the final fantasy games I played.

I don't see how 7 is any different with the tedious summons, and limit break upon limit break.

The Limit Break trick with Circle I think in 8 is Squaresoft's own fault.

And I will never understand the praise VII got, graphics don't make a good game, not with characters like VII.

Oddly enough though, I love the movie, maybe because it starts with the Secret Ending with Red XIII considering Red is the shit forever.

Just curious, did you beat VII?

It has some of the most well developed characters and some extremely well done character interaction. The Summons in 7 weren't nearly as bad because you didn't need to use them all the time, they weren't the main thing in the game like they were in VIII.

The praise VII got has nothing to do with the graphics. For it's time there was nothing like it, it pushed the envelope as far as story telling and character development goes, just like VI before it. To truly appreciate the game I think you really had to play it when it was new, again, just like VI. It was an amazing experience for it's time, and it still holds up rather well, though it's flaws are much more apparant now, seeing as the series and other games have fixed and perfected many aspects of the game.

A cool thing about VIII, though. A few of the character names in the game were taken from some cities directly around me. Irvine is the name of a City just a few minutes away from me, same with Laguna.

JToTheP

It has some of the most well developed characters and some extremely well done character interaction. The Summons in 7 weren't nearly as bad because you didn't need to use them all the time, they weren't the main thing in the game like they were in VIII.

The praise VII got has nothing to do with the graphics. For it's time there was nothing like it, it pushed the envelope as far as story telling and character development goes, just like VI before it. To truly appreciate the game I think you really had to play it when it was new, again, just like VI. It was an amazing experience for it's time, and it still holds up rather well, though it's flaws are much more apparant now, seeing as the series and other games have fixed and perfected many aspects of the game.

A cool thing about VIII, though. A few of the character names in the game were taken from some cities directly around me. Irvine is the name of a City just a few minutes away from me, same with Laguna.

Yes, I had to use Knights of the round on Sephiroth in all 3 rounds, but I did beat it I think in 98' when I got it.

My main problem is why they MADE the changes they did to the series, and broke the traditional RPG phase it had going with 1-6.

That is pretty cool, I'm sure people living in those towns raved about it for a while.

FF8 also you had your other two party members follow you, which was fun to run in circles and jagged lines. stick out tongue

BackFire
Well, it was a next generation game, and FF games have slowly been evolving and changing ever since the beginning. The series would be boring if it's story telling and character types had not changed at all since the early games.

ESB -1138

VII's characters were NOT good. Cloud acted as a spoiled child throughout VII and near the end he started to act a little better but in Advent Children...he's a pussy who dwells on the past. Yuffie and Cait Sith are beyond useless. No one likes them. Cait Sith is to Final Fantasy as Jar Jar is to Star Wars.

Barret is an angry black guy that's good with a gun. Cid is an angry white guy that's good with a spear. Aerith was useless. Vincent and Red XIII were the best characters if anything. I played it when it was new and even beat the game (defeated all the WEAPONS too). I will be the first to say Sephiroth is the coolest villain but that's about it.

Vincent, Red XIII, Sephiroth, and Tifa seem to be the only decent characters in that game. Barret and Cid cuss so much I suprised that it got a T rating. VI actually kept the story revolving around different characters. Why is it Aerith plays a bigger role after she dies (including the movie) then other characters like Barret, Red XIII, Cid, Yuffie, and Cait Sith?

Final Fantasy VII is vastly overrated. It offered nothing new to the RPG world. I found the graphics not all that impressive. The N64 seemed to have better graphics with Zelda and Mario alone. Heck at least with Mario and Zelda they actually had noses.

BackFire
Originally posted by ESB -1138
VII's characters were NOT good. Cloud acted as a spoiled child throughout VII and near the end he started to act a little better but in Advent Children...he's a pussy who dwells on the past. Yuffie and Cait Sith are beyond useless. No one likes them. Cait Sith is to Final Fantasy as Jar Jar is to Star Wars.

Barret is an angry black guy that's good with a gun. Cid is an angry white guy that's good with a spear. Aerith was useless. Vincent and Red XIII were the best characters if anything. I played it when it was new and even beat the game (defeated all the WEAPONS too). I will be the first to say Sephiroth is the coolest villain but that's about it.

Vincent, Red XIII, Sephiroth, and Tifa seem to be the only decent characters in that game. Barret and Cid cuss so much I suprised that it got a T rating. VI actually kept the story revolving around different characters. Why is it Aerith plays a bigger role after she dies (including the movie) then other characters like Barret, Red XIII, Cid, Yuffie, and Cait Sith?

Final Fantasy VII is vastly overrated. It offered nothing new to the RPG world. I found the graphics not all that impressive. The N64 seemed to have better graphics with Zelda and Mario alone. Heck at least with Mario and Zelda they actually had noses.

I didn't say the characters were good, don't care about that. I know some people don't like the characters, that doesn't mean shit to me. I said the development and interaction was good. Most of your simplifications of the characters are silly and not even accurate. Cloud didn't act like a spoiled child? I personally liked most of the characters just fine, myself. Sephiroth is about the most overrated character in the entire game, too. He's certainly not the best villain as everyone implies. He was good, not much more.

It offered nothing new? Are you mad? Whether you like the game or not, I don't care. But you are factually wrong when you say it offerend nothing new. It changed the way RPG's were made forever. It offered new combat mechanics in Limit Breaks, now a staple in the series. The method and type of story was unlike anything done before. The story was so ambitious and complex, again, far above anything else that had been done in video games at that time. The use of cinematics to tell the story bits as opposed to just dialogue, again, now a staple in the series was first introduced in VII. The massive amounts of sidequests and minigames that the series is now known for, while in some of the older games to a much smaller degree, was fully realized in VII, far beyond anything in the prior games. All these, and you say it offered nothing new? Absurd.

And the graphics were gorgeous. Not the character graphics, obviously, the beauty of the graphics lie in the background, which still look nice even to this day.

Kenshinswife
I hate 7 and 10 with a passion. Yuna and Tidus are by far completely pathetic lead characters. Auron was the best in 10 by far. I thought the sphere grid in 10 blew horribly, and you could get far too strong and not even Sin could match your stats at the ending battles.

I dont understand that, i'm not here to defend x or anything(despite the fact that it is my favorite) but to say it was pathetic is kind of extreme. I already stated what made them great characters.

And i'm not going to dispute 8 because, i really enjoyed seocnd to x. But to say nine is anywhere near great or better than 10 is ludacris.

*not here to argue just wanna kno why. smile

office jesus
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I been playing Sony's consols since 1999, and I own nearly 100 playstation games (PS1, PS2, PSP, soon PS3).

I have never played a final fastasy. I would like to start with VII, except that game is selling for boku money right now

Don't. Believe me, you aren't missing much.

SaTsuJiN
I think even FFVI (Final Fantasy III in the US) is still going for like 80 dollars or more...

Would you guys Recommend XII to him?

X should be like 20 dollars lol

Lana
FFXII is so drastically different from the other FFs that while I'm loving it so far, I wouldn't really reccomend it as the first FF to play.

I guess I'd personally have to go with FFX. It's my favorite, it's easy to find, and it's cheap.

dirkdirden

Lana
Umm, the world in FFX is explorable, just you can't really go around much until late in the game. But once you have the airship you can go and do whatever you want. Yeah, would have been better could you explore more earlier in the game, but remember it did come out early in the PS2s life and thus they were still testing what could be done with the system.

And honestly, blitzball I hated at first, but once I figured out how to play it it became my favorite minigame and I'd spend hours playing it.

dirkdirden
Umm, the world in FFX is explorable, just you can't really go around much until late in the game. But once you have the airship you can go and do whatever you want. Yeah, would have been better could you explore more earlier in the game, but remember it did come out early in the PS2s life and thus they were still testing what could be done with the system.

And honestly, blitzball I hated at first, but once I figured out how to play it it became my favorite minigame and I'd spend hours playing it.

You can't fly around in your airship you can only point and click if you want to go to zanarkand you just point on the zanarkand dot and click and then you are there, I like it when old way if you wanted to go someware you have to fly there not point and click there. Every other Final fantasy you can fly your airship around and in FF7 you got to chase a weapon in your air ship and that was cool. I also didn't like the armor system or lack of armor. I did like the grid though, allows you to make your characters how ever you want them. I always make Kamari a bad ass wizard and Yuna a Theif and Riku the heavy attacker like Aaron.

I got used to Blitz ball I had to get used to it to get wakka's final weapon and I still hate hate hate hate hate it. I even like the mog game from FF7 better than blitz ball it is just not fun for me.

Kenshinswife
dont want to seem as if i am not standing firm on my x ground but i have to agree....as much as i love ffx (and i reaaaaalllllyyyy reallly do do) i didnt like blitzball that much but it was nice to look at in that opening scene.

InnerRise
I hated Blitzball as well.

I also hated that number game.

I could never beat the one that would allow you to get that certain outfit if you won.

Can't remember which outfit it was, but I knew I really wanted it, I think it was pretty strong.

I gave up on that number game after a few tries. It was impossible.

Lana
The number mini-game in FFX-2? You have to win it to get Gambler...and that game was actually very easy, I did it on my first try.

Blitzball was crappy in X-2, it was a lot of fun in FFX though.

InnerRise
The number mini-game in FFX-2? You have to win it to get Gambler...and that game was actually very easy, I did it on my first try.

Blitzball was crappy in X-2, it was a lot of fun in FFX though. Bragger. glare

Yeah, now that I think about it. I do remember playing Blitzball more in Final Fantasy X-2 than I did in Final Fantasy X.

I can't remember though. Was it required in X-2 or optional b/c I can't imagine why I would have played it.

Lana
It was optional in X-2. I played it once and never touched it again.

Darth Jello
VII and some of the original carts suffer from the same syndrome as Symphony of the Night, Rondo of Blood, and Tengen's Tetris, you look on Ebay and realize your gonna have to sell your grandpa's archtop 1950's Les Paul and copy of Action Comics #1 and still need a bank loan to afford it, but after all that trouble, you still occasionally find it for 20 bucks at game force down the street wedged in between Fester's Quest and about 700 copies of The Adventures of Bayou Billy.

dirkdirden
Blitz ball could have been great but it wasn't and that is part of the reason I hate it so bad. They could have made the game so fun and cool but they didn't.

There is a cool trick you can do in FFx-2. You use something to hold your controller so you always walk upwards into a wall. Have a white mage and 2 other characters you want to level up. Have something hold down the attack button and your white mage will heal and the other two will attack and you can leave it there over night and wake up with 3 fully leveled up job classes. It is also a good way to reach level 99 without even touching the game. I left it doing that for a week at when I came back I was on level 60 something.

Rubber bands work wonders for this.

InnerRise
I'm sorry. My mother taught me not to speak to cheaters. mhm

Blaxican
And that is why you fail.

no expression

Lana
Originally posted by InnerRise
I'm sorry. My mother taught me not to speak to cheaters. mhm

Technically it's not cheating. It's a very cheap way to play and I can't understand why people do it...but it's not cheating.

dirkdirden
Technically it's not cheating. It's a very cheap way to play and I can't understand why people do it...but it's not cheating.

I did it becuase the game was so bad the only thing I wanted to do was max out the job class and I did. Job classes were the only good thing about the game.

Kenshinswife
Now Hold on cowboy x-2 didnt live up to x in the least but it wasnt terrible...i actually liked the mini games in x-2 and winning the outfits.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Kenshinswife
Now Hold on cowboy x-2 didnt live up to x in the least but it wasnt terrible...i actually liked the mini games in x-2 and winning the outfits.

FFx-2 is the worst in the series. The game was too pointless too girly and too lame to interest me. I mean a 8 minute pop music intro and an all female fighting cast come on. The ONLY things it had going for it was a little bit of humor and the job classes.

But I'm sure the ladies love the game because of the girl power all over the place.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Blaxican
And that is why you fail.

no expression I don't fail. I past with flying colors b/c I do all the work MYSELF. wink

Yeah, I know.

Originally posted by dirkdirden
FFx-2 is the worst in the series. The game was too pointless too girly and too lame to interest me. I mean a 8 minute pop music intro and an all female fighting cast come on. The ONLY things it had going for it was a little bit of humor and the job classes.

But I'm sure the ladies love the game because of the girl power all over the place.
Actually no. Some people actually played it b/c they loved what Final Fantasy X had to offer and they wanted to continue the story with the characters and the such.

Do you think everybody was aware of the "girl power" factor, as you call it, before they bought the game? I know I wasn't aware that it would be like that, but I still liked it alright enough.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.