So how is your VHS collection?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

doan_m
Over the years VHS tech just keeps getting older and older, and what with the likes of the release of blu-ray tech and HD-DVD VHS becomes extremely dated and obsolete. Some people I know have completely thrown out thier collection of VHS and some others hold on to their old VCR and VHS vids. So what about you guys? Do you still hold on to your VCR collection? Have you thrown them out completely? Just how is your VHS collection now?

systemshock2
Good topic. I still hang onto my VHS's and well as look for movies in that format. Don't get me wrong I buy DVD's all of the time, (especially the used copies at Blockbuster and stuff) but I never really got into the whole "special-edition, featurettes, ultimate collection" type of stuff with DVD's. The actual movie is just fine with me, which is why VHS's work for me. Plus places like Half-price books always have used VHS's for $1 or so, which is sweet.

Though some movies you have to have in their greatest format, such as T2 and Superman Returns.

Strangelove
I get rid of the VHS whenever my family buys the DVD, so our collection is dwindling

The Core
I only own "The Jazz Singer" on VHS. No, not Neil Diamond, but Al Jolson. It's not on DVD yet, which is a travesty given its significance in film history, being the first motion picture with sound.

Kram3r
Originally posted by The Core
I only own "The Jazz Singer" on VHS. No, not Neil Diamond, but Al Jolson. It's not on DVD yet, which is a travesty given its significance in film history, being the first motion picture with sound.

I've seen parts of that. Al Jolson kicked ass.

BackFire
I still have quite a few VHS films. I have a lot of horror films on VHS that I haven't upgraded to DVD just yet, like Zombie, The Beyond, Gates of Hell.

Impediment
All of my VHS movies are at my mom & dad's house in my old room, along with my VCR. I have between 15 and 20, I think. I sold off the vast majority of my VHS library when I switched to DVD.

coolmovies
Good question i dont have any movies on VHS i only have tv proggrames . I still cant afford stuff like west wing ,24 on dvd let alone HDDVD mad

I dont want to see 3 formats i only want One ! DVD thats it !!

Darth Vicious
I had a few VHS and when I got my first dvd and started buying the DVDs I stopped buying VHSs altogether so back then I didnt want to throw them away so when I broke up with my ex years ago I just left them there, never looked back. I only have some XXX vhs left but thats about it.

T.M
I have a few VHS films left.. But I don't have a VHS player.. At least not in my room anyway.

redcaped
VHS I've spent the most? Puppet Master. The rest with my underwear.

coolmovies
I have a VCR and some Vhs left

vintageSW77
I got a bunch of classic horror vhs that i will never part with - Evil Dead,brain damage,basket case,dolls etc and my Star Wars VHS(i have the first Star Wars movie on BETAMAX too!!!) but ive replaced everything else with dvd copies.

MildPossession

redcaped
and message boards

Fire
I'm slowly replacing my VHS collection with DVD's (my VHS collection is outdated anywayz! so I can buy the DVDs pretty cheap)

In Fate's Hands
i only got the ghostbusters collection pack on VHS

coolmovies
You should have brought it on dvd

masterkit
I own lots of VHS's mostly old animated disney's but still

i only watch my star wars and harry potter vhs's thought cuz the rest are buried somewhere in my attic

vintageSW77
i wonder is it a good time to hunt down old horror videos from the video nastie era that people had in their collections unaware of their value but have now sold them off or given them to charity shops or is everyone wise to Ebay??

WrathfulDwarf
The only tapes left from my VHS collection are adult videos.

TexasGirl
I waited and waited until Crybaby came out on DVD before I gave away my entire VHS collection, my TV and my VCR. Figured that if I wanted to watch a movie I would do so on my laptop. That lasted like 6 months, then I had to break down and buy another TV - I missed it.

crickey77
I actually still have all of mine! I can't toss them -- I have some really good classics!

Wolfie
I have an understanding with family and friends. When someone upgrades a VHS to DVD, we pass the VHS to someone who would really enjoy it.

Examples:
My parents upgraded The Burbs and Buckaroo Bonzai to DVD and gave me their VHS tapes.
I upgraded X-Men to DVD and gave the VHS to my sister.
My sister upgraded Se7en and Pulp Fiction to DVD and gave me her VHSes.
I upgraded Se7en and Pulp Fiction, gave Se7en to a friend who has never seen it before and gave Pulp Fiction to a friend who loves the movie, yet doesn't own it.

So I don't think my VHS collection will ever die completely, since a lot of them are hand-me-downs, bought from Hollywood Video's VHS clearance sale, or just movies I don't care enough to get the DVD of.

Koenig
My VHS collection is about 100 and why the hell should I replace the lot for DVD, that's just a wast of money. I only replace those ones that are knacked.

jenzie
still have all of mine, and slowly getting the dvd's for them .....

Akira99
My CHS collection is getting replaced like American Airline's Boeing 727s where in the early 2000s. I still have them though I just never watch the VHS version - sort of retired in the downstairs cupboard

Darth_Erebus
I have some out of print Playboy videos and a few movies. I'll probably keep them for nostalgia'sake.

Interestingly when I was robbed several years ago the thief neatly set my VCR aside and took the DVD player

coolmovies
shows how dead vhs is .

Mr Parker
Mines extremely old and I still have it,havent bothered to get DVD yet. big grin I need to soon though to keep up with the current times though because VCR'S pretty soon will be a thing of the past just like beta movies are.

thegreatrudini
i still have about 400 vhs but im trying to slowly replace the stuff that aint rare with dvds

ladygrim
Originally posted by Strangelove
I get rid of the VHS whenever my family buys the DVD, so our collection is dwindling likewise big grin

In Fate's Hands
Originally posted by coolmovies
You should have brought it on dvd

no, this collection pack came out in the early 90's

coolmovies
Ohh ok u should upgrade then

botankus
I still hang on to them because I have over 200 VHS movies. And I re-buy very few of them on DVD because, let's face it, when I'm watching Ace Ventura, picture quality and graphics isn't exactly top priority.

coolmovies
I have 44 Vhs left

Da preacher
I've got all the disneymovies on VHS, the rest is DVD

office jesus
VHS? What's that?

Spartan005
I have about 200 VHS movies at home and I don't plan on getting rid of any of them. The picture is just as good as any dvd I get and the movies are ridiculously cheap now. I went into hollywood video last weak and picked up 10 movies for $10. Plus I usually don't look at all of the special features or commentaries except for all of the huge action adventure type movies like Star wars and POTC.

Bicnarok
Sold at ebay

Wolfie
Originally posted by office jesus
VHS? What's that?
It's this big black thing that, when you mix it with peanut butter, it turns into a DVD.

Lord Shadow Z
I got the first special edition set of Star Wars on VHS, Blade, and Star Trek: First Contact.

My dad still has a whole shelf full of them... but he's steadily collecting DVDS to replace them.

coolmovies
VHS is a big brick laughing

RaverSnowLep
I have over 200 recorded vhs's with about three movies per vhs. I also have a large collection of name brand vhs's. I beleive that vhs's are the superior format over dvd's. Dont get me wrong, I also have a large collection of dvd's, but I dont like them as much as my vhs's. Happy Dance

C-3POTheClever
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what actually is VHS?

Robtard
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what actually is VHS?

Back in the time when the world was new and the oceans still boiled and the Angels battled in heaven, there existed a movie format called VHS; it consisted of a big black rectangle with two spindles inside and filled with a magnetic tape-like material. Proto-humans had to watch their films on these through a device called a VCR.

rudester
Originally posted by Robtard
Back in the time when the world was new and the oceans still boiled and the Angels battled in heaven, there existed a movie format called VHS; it consisted of a big black rectangle with two spindles inside and filled with a magnetic tape-like material. Proto-humans had to watch their films on these through a device called a VCR.

I think my parents still have BetaMax, not sure what its called anymore but it was before, VHS. (their smaller and a gray colour)

You are thinking of one of two formats:RCA Videodiscs or Laserdiscs

Laserdiscs are still on the market, and are essentially LP-sized CDs.
"CED discs" (sold as "RCA Selectavision"wink were darker colored discs stored inside a non-removable plastic "caddy".

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/thisdayintech/2011/06/betamax_1.jpg

the ninjak
I've only got the Ninja Turtles green VHS tape left. Ya old foogies!

Robtard
Originally posted by rudester

You are thinking of one of two formats:RCA Videodiscs or Laserdiscs

No, what I described was a VHS cassette.

http://valuestockphoto.com/downloads/15316-2/retro_vhsvideo.jpg

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I got the first special edition set of Star Wars on VHS, Blade, and Star Trek: First Contact.

My dad still has a whole shelf full of them... but he's steadily collecting DVDS to replace them.

Okay, ignore my post from 2006 laughing , I don't have them anymore but the ones that I do are:

The One Armed Boxer.
Return to the 36th Chamber.
Batman TAS: Cat and Claw part 1 & 2.
Batman TAS: On Leather Wings & Heart of Ice.
Bravestarr:The Legend (movie).

Unfortunately the BTAS episodes tend to whistle when played so it's mainly for sentimental reasons that I still keep them. The rest work fine thankfully.

maham
I used to watch animated movies on those. Ah! Good old days... I still have most of them.There are about fifty. cool

jinXed by JaNx
I had over 200 vhs tapes that i donated to the library about seven years ago.

Dude111
I love VHS..... I prefer the nicer analogue quality smile (More natural)

I prefer to experience things how I always have,TO ME ITS THE NICEST..

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Dude111
I prefer to experience things how I always have,TO ME ITS THE INCEST.. FTFY.

Robtard
Oh, you burned that fool!

Impediment
Why the f*ck would you bump this?

Dude111
Well I wanted to comment about VHS Impediment...

If you want to delete my replys please feel free,i dont want to make anyone upset here!! (I really am liking it here so far)

siriuswriter
N/M.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.