CGI vs comicbooks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lando005
ok i was thinking about doing this for a while by now everybody's seen the cgi videos on marvel ultimate alliance right? if not maybe you've seen one on justice league heroes( although i havent but i'm assumeing they look good) anyway i wanna take a quick poll here. Do you think marvel and dc should switch to CGI comics from now on or continue the tradition of the comic book ( cost of production aside )

me personally i vote for the cgi you get a better sense of the story that way and it's just so well done

lando005
bump

Dinalfos
You mean comics through CG images? I don't think that's a great idea, although I'm not against enhancing the handdrawn art a bit. You know, add some filtering or softening the rough spots a little. But it should in no way replace handdrawn art completely.

Loot

lando005
yea for tradition alone i would vote for comic books but cgi is just soo much more vivid and fluid

Loot
its not only for tradition i really like picking my comic book, the smell, turning the page over, the art and having an amazing colection of books.

Swanky-Tuna
You mean like instead of comic books, you watch a 10 minute video? Crap no. The best part about reading the comic, and reading in general, is you're the director. The panels are like the storyboard and it plays out in your head your way.

The Weather God
comics are good but cgi is million times better. It would cost million times more money to make them as well.

lando005
cgi is also a lot easier to ripp off too

Loot
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
You mean like instead of comic books, you watch a 10 minute video? Crap no. The best part about reading the comic, and reading in general, is you're the director. The panels are like the storyboard and it plays out in your head your way.

someone who understands big grin

AngryManatee
comic books allow for creative people to be creative with their thoughts. CGI means you can watch what other people think of it. Shall I chew your food for you too?

lando005
Originally posted by AngryManatee
comic books allow for creative people to be creative with their thoughts. CGI means you can watch what other people think of it. Shall I chew your food for you too? eww no thanks i understand the point of view with comics and all but i dunno i guess i like the whole vivid feel of cgi the sense of your fav character being brought to life in a sense watching them in motion and that feeling of "YES now that's how he's suppost to move/fight" watching them do their thing blow for blow but hey it's just a matter of prefreance

quickshot
comics just the way you can take longer analysing some parts and brush over others

lando005
Originally posted by quickshot
comics just the way you can take longer analysing some parts and brush over others you can do that with cgi too

The Weather God
Originally posted by lando005
you can do that with cgi too

I agree
Game Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyW8xpOZAFg

Watching a comic brought to life is just amazing, i know it would cost alot more money but you just can't get a good of experience as you get with it live and in motion. smile

lorddreamer
Its all about the paper, baby!! Seriously, I'd hate for some guy to try to do Batman' voice... Noone can do the Batvoice like the little man it my head!!! Plus, I'm not paying 15$ for my comics (thats what it would cost, considering what it takes to put togethor CGI and the fact that they overprice like a bi###)

The Weather God
Originally posted by lorddreamer
Its all about the paper, baby!! Seriously, I'd hate for some guy to try to do Batman' voice... Noone can do the Batvoice like the little man it my head!!! Plus, I'm not paying 15$ for my comics (thats what it would cost, considering what it takes to put togethor CGI and the fact that they overprice like a bi###)

That's exactly what the problem is, nobody's going to pay that kind of money for a cgi comic every issue. That's the reason why i believe the comic will be more superior, you also do have a very good point about voices of characters which can be a big problem which wouldn't be there if it were a comic. But there are some advantages in the cgi tho.

lorddreamer
like what? smoothing out fights isnt a problem to me. That's what imagination is for wink

The Weather God
like what? smoothing out fights isnt a problem to me. That's what imagination is for wink

Imagination is good and all but seeing it live and feeling the power of sound and visually effects are a much better experience then sitting down and reading a comic. In a comic i do agree that much more can be done but when you visually experience it live with sound and motion just top's the iceing on the cake. True the voices can get wrong at times but when they are all right and in place you just overall have a comic come to life experience. Just watching that cgi clip i just posted gets me excited.

lorddreamer
ok. Thats pretty insane, I admit... But still, thats more what I'd like to see in a tv show, maybe? Now im half/half!! That was amazing. Still BATMAN'S VOICE!!!!

The Weather God
ok. Thats pretty insane, I admit... But still, thats more what I'd like to see in a tv show, maybe? Now im half/half!! That was amazing. Still BATMAN'S VOICE!!!!

Yeah but your not getting good cgi like that for a regular saturday morning cartoon tv show. Maybe a movie which is why i say making a new issue every month will be way too much money for marvel to dish out. But if it could be done then i'm all for it. smile

lorddreamer
Originally posted by The Weather God
Yeah but your not getting good cgi like that for a regular saturday morning cartoon tv show. Maybe a movie which is why i say making a new issue every month will be way too much money for marvel to dish out. But if it could be done then i'm all for it. smile

Me too, but never as a replacement. Anyway, that's kinda my point. There's no way you're gonna get that kind of quality except maybe bi-monthly, maybe for one year. That is soooo expensive!! Getting voice actors, directing it to be perfect, etc... Comics are easy (er) And if one issue is an fup, you can fix that and just keep going, but a messed up CGI is like a messed up child. Sort of. Get it? Guess not.

Swanky-Tuna
Imagination is good and all but seeing it live and feeling the power of sound and visually effects are a much better experience then sitting down and reading a comic. In a comic i do agree that much more can be done but when you visually experience it live with sound and motion just top's the iceing on the cake. True the voices can get wrong at times but when they are all right and in place you just overall have a comic come to life experience. Just watching that cgi clip i just posted gets me excited.
Maybe you just have a terrible imagination.

lorddreamer

lmao, see I'm just too polite to say something like that. So instead I say what I've been saying stick out tongue

The Weather God

Maybe i do but am i wrong for saying such a thing? No

DarkCrawler
...when GGI gets better then your imagination, the power of your mind, you really need to read stuff more. yes

ThePittman
CGI is good for what it is, movies but for comic reading there is nothing better than had drawn art.

The Weather God
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
...when GGI gets better then your imagination, the power of your mind, you really need to read stuff more. yes

In your imagination your never really seeing the action live my friend. stick out tongue

And the cgi is actually coming from what the writers want you to see which can stop people from misinterpreting what they want you to see.

Originally posted by ThePittman
CGI is good for what it is, movies but for comic reading there is nothing better than had drawn art.

Please explain to me how hand draw art can be better when you'll be getting the same messege but better with live visual effects and real sound, not some imaginary sound you made up in your head. Would you even know the sound of cyclops blast if you diden't hear it from somewhere? That's just one example.

nimbus006
I agree
Game Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyW8xpOZAFg

Watching a comic brought to life is just amazing, i know it would cost alot more money but you just can't get a good of experience as you get with it live and in motion. smile

Wow that is amazing... it looks great, sounds cool...however, like some people here were saying a comic book is unique b/c the action, voices, and sounds, play out in your head to your preference. I mean, i bet everyone here has a different opinion on the way Thor talks, or how Cap fights, or the way an explosion or gunshot sound, and thats what makes it great the fact that the pictures and story guide you, but you take it as far as your imagination wants to. I wonder why they don't make the animated movies in that form?

P.S - That is cool as sh*t though, i wish we could have both. Do you have anymore of those videos.

The Weather God
Originally posted by nimbus006
Wow that is amazing... it looks great, sounds cool...however, like some people here were saying a comic book is unique b/c the action, voices, and sounds, play out in your head to your preference. I mean, i bet everyone here has a different opinion on the way Thor talks, or how Cap fights, or the way an explosion or gunshot sound, and thats what makes it great the fact that the pictures and story guide you, but you take it as far as your imagination wants to. I wonder why they don't make the animated movies in that form?

P.S - That is cool as sh*t though, i wish we could have both. Do you have anymore of those videos.

I agree with everything your saying, all i'm saying is there is some advantages you get with cgi that you don't get with comics no matter how big your imagination is, not that i'm saying cgi would be more successful but that i would much rather see a cgi played out then comic as would some much rather read a comic then watch it in cgi.

Here's more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYBNfRUxZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNXQvIcg83c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmiZeNTc9yk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtc935IXtCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehSMJypYSDM

nimbus006
I agree with everything your saying, all i'm saying is there is some advantages you get with cgi that you don't get with comics no matter how big your imagination is, not that i'm saying cgi would be more successful but that i would much rather see a cgi played out then comic as would some much rather read a comic then watch it in cgi.

Here's more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNXQvIcg83c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmiZeNTc9yk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtc935IXtCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehSMJypYSDM

Awesome thanx. And i agree wit hyour points as well. If only they could make animated TV Shows that way we could have the best of both worlds.

ExtraMision5555
CGI should never replace art in comic books. Never.

On the other hand

Marvel needs to pump out a few more cartoons. DC cartoons are so cool (most of the time)

I just wish thier was a few good marvel ones

I know thiers Fantastic 4, and the ultimate movies
but both leave more to be desired

The Weather God
Awesome thanx. And i agree wit hyour points as well. If only they could make animated TV Shows that way we could have the best of both worlds.

I edited my post with the link below added

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYBNfRUxZE

Originally posted by ExtraMision5555
I agree
On the other hand

Marvel needs to pump out a few more cartoons. DC cartoons are so cool (most of the time)

I think they are coming out with a new x-men series called wolverane and the x-men, it's suppose to be 2d and 3d animation whatever that means.

nimbus006

On the other hand

Indeed. Couldn't agree more. The F4 cartoon IMO sucks the big one. The Ultimate Avengers was pretty dam good, and definately left me wanting more. If they would make more cartoons in the format that these Ultimate Alliance videos are in, it would be much better.

The Weather God
Indeed. Couldn't agree more. The F4 cartoon IMO sucks the big one. The Ultimate Avengers was pretty dam good, and definately left me wanting more. If they would make more cartoons in the format that these Ultimate Alliance videos are in, it would be much better.

Yeah the only problem is the cgi cost a fortune just to make those small little clips. no

nimbus006
I think they are coming out with a new x-men seriers called wolverane and the x-men, it's suppose to be 2d and 3d animation whatever that means.

It would be a good idea to reboot the 90's X-Men cartoon franchise. Much has happenned since that show ended, and its time for it to come to live action.

Maybe throw in a different roster, other villans besides Magneto (yet still have him of course). New Costumes, more updated stories and were set.

I would like to see this roster:

Cyclops

Wolverine

Colossus

Iceman

Beast

Kitty

Cable

Emma Frost

Banshee

Polaris

Havok

Swanky-Tuna

On the other hand

Marvel seems to have bad luck with cartoons. I liked the Ultimate movies but the Fantastic Four cartoon blows. I don't watch Nickelodeon's and Adult Swim animes and anime facsimiles and I ain't watchin' that crap.

nimbus006
Marvel seems to have bad luck with cartoons. I liked the Ultimate movies but the Fantastic Four cartoon blows. I don't watch Nickelodeon's and Adult Swim animes and anime facsimiles and I ain't watchin' that crap.

I could not sit through the first 5 min of the F4 cartoon, it was so bad. I rather watch the F4 from like 60's than watch that garbage.

I wouldn't say Marvel has bad luck with cartoons they've had success with: Ultimate Avengers, X-Men 90's cartoon, The amazing Spiderman, even X-Men Evolution did well, I personally hated it.

ExtraMision5555
Yes i agree with you guys. F4 for the most part is dissappointing, perhaps because (atleast in my opinion) Fantastic 4 arent that cool to begin with. I hope the new xmen cartoon is good then? where did you hear about it?

Swanky-Tuna
Yes i agree with you guys. F4 for the most part is dissappointing, perhaps because (atleast in my opinion) Fantastic 4 arent that cool to begin with. I hope the new xmen cartoon is good then? where did you hear about it?
I find them pretty cool but I am in no way interested in watching them start back from square one, personality wise, in whacky, over the top anime style animation and corny dialogue.

lando005
i dunno i guess the feel of cgi is more this era it kinda fits in new world a bit more to me i dont like feeling outdate

lorddreamer
So movies are better than books? music videos are better than the music alone?
a cgi show is like having a movie of the comic. Look at the Hulk, Daredevil. Some person tried really, really hard to make those perfect, but they both turned out to be Fups. What would make cgi any different?

lando005
a cgi show is like having a movie of the comic. Look at the Hulk, Daredevil. Some person tried really, really hard to make those perfect, but they both turned out to be Fups. What would make cgi any different? they both have their ups and downs and not all movie adaptations turn out bad look at the xmen movies or the superman movies

Swanky-Tuna
a cgi show is like having a movie of the comic. Look at the Hulk, Daredevil. Some person tried really, really hard to make those perfect, but they both turned out to be Fups. What would make cgi any different?
Hulk was moderately awesome. And Daredevil was hilarious if you only watch the fight with Kingpin.

lando005
wow i thought cgi would have a better turn out than this

lorddreamer
Hulk was moderately awesome. And Daredevil was hilarious if you only watch the fight with Kingpin.

No, see, Hulk sucked DONKEY BALLS. Get it straight stick out tongue Seriously, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too touchy feely and like...Hiding tiger crouching dragon or whatever (hated that too)
Daredevil was a pathetic attempt. You're right though, that fight was sweet!!!
Anyway, I say comics take it 7/10 Happy Dance

Swanky-Tuna
No, see, Hulk sucked DONKEY BALLS. Get it straight stick out tongue Seriously, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too touchy feely
Isn't that was Hulk is? Banner's constant struggle with Hulk? I thought it was a good balance between Hulky smashing and his problems with Betty and his abusive father. Plus the comical end scene of him saying his tagline in Spanish.

What'd you think it was going to be? Banner turns into Hulk 10 minutes in and the rest of the movie is Hulk rampaging through the city? That would blow.

Daredevil was a pathetic attempt. You're right though, that fight was sweet!!!
I didn't think it was all that great, fight-wise, but it was full of the most ridiculous moves. Like getting faceplanted with his own billyclub into the glass and the giant crater it made.

lando005
i still think cgi videos is the next logical progression

endrict
It's bad enough that the stuff these days suck compared to what it used to be. GOD NO!!! to CGI comics. It's a great skill and pleasure to draw. To see a master like Jim lee at work, it's amazing.

endrict
i still think cgi videos is the next logical progression

And like everthing else that progresses it will suck because of technology and stupid ideas.

endrict

Because it still comes down to good writing and not CGI. Batman begins has a really good writer and a director who cares about the fans. He when back to the roots and that's coimc books.

endrict
But the perfect solution is to have both comic books and CGI/movies. This way the fans can read and the novice/lazy people can look.

lando005
but in a digitized world like we have now keeping them mainly comics seem kinda cruel. While reading a battle and turning the page is good and all, actually seeing the characters in motion hearing their voice and seeing the battle unfold in real time se sooo much better in my opinion. and quic 30min shows wont be that hard to create

endrict
So what you are saying is we must evolve into a society full of TV, CGI and more machines? get rid of all books/comics since it won't fit in the future?

BTW this is not a good comic book thread...it will open up a big can of worms.

The Weather God
Originally posted by endrict
Because it still comes down to good writing and not CGI. Batman begins has a really good writer and a director who cares about the fans. He when back to the roots and that's coimc books.

Exactly! Not every comic is as good as people make them out to be, if the writing is bad the comic will fail just as bad as a cgi/film/tv would. I think cgi and comics have little to do with the imagination, because if they wanted you to imagine the comic they wouldn't even bother putting the art in them in the first place. That is someone else's imagination.

Doctor-Alvis
but in a digitized world like we have now keeping them mainly comics seem kinda cruel. While reading a battle and turning the page is good and all, actually seeing the characters in motion hearing their voice and seeing the battle unfold in real time se sooo much better in my opinion. and quic 30min shows wont be that hard to create
That's all good if that's your cup of tea. Forgive me for being that guy who likes the book over the movie but my imagination is so powerful and vivid that it's almost a curse. I lay awake at night, tossing and turning because the glorious images flowing through my mind haunt me.

lando005
Originally posted by endrict
So what you are saying is we must evolve into a society full of TV, CGI and more machines? get rid of all books/comics since it won't fit in the future?

BTW this is not a good comic book thread...it will open up a big can of worms. i'm not saying do away with them entirely just that we the reader/viewers are progressing and moving on in life so y not the comic industry as well, maybe i'm just greedy but realtime cinimatics > frame by frame comics

lando005
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
That's all good if that's your cup of tea. Forgive me for being that guy who likes the book over the movie but my imagination is so powerful and vivid that it's almost a curse. I lay awake at night, tossing and turning because the glorious images flowing through my mind haunt me. the thing is they still give you the pictures and images of the characters so what harm would it do if those images become animated

Doctor-Alvis
the thing is they still give you the pictures and images of the characters so what harm would it do if those images become animated
That would cut the imagination completely out of the process.

Symmetric Chaos
the thing is they still give you the pictures and images of the characters so what harm would it do if those images become animated

Originally posted by Mindship
Simulation for stimulation can yield an aberration of your situation. nutsglow

lando005
?

lando005
any freash outlooks of this topic now in 08?

horrorwolf
Are CGI comic movies cool? HELL Yeah!

Should and can they ever REPLACE hand-drawn comic books. HELLL NO!

The dynamic visualized by artists can not be matched by CGI ever....it usually lesses the effectiveness if anything....although making it more realistic.

Comic art and written text tap into the imagination the ways CGI can never touch.

starlock
i love the cgi movies and would love to see actual movies from the companies

But i would never want comics to go away, i will always buy comics and read them over and over, bring it into the bathroom, on the train, on a plane , a bus, in my back pocket etc.........try that in new york with a dvd player and your taking a big chance lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.