Will And Why Everyone Dislikes Him

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

crazychic
ok i know everyonr is a j/e fan but why be so mean to will? explanations would be helpful

Mistypirate
Originally posted by crazychic
ok i know everyonr is a j/e fan but why be so mean to will? explanations would be helpful

Mean to Will? for calling him whelp and eunuch? He was called those names in the movies itself, we just joke around when we are referring to his character. W/E shippers called Jack worst names than that.

crazychic
TRUE BUT IM NOT ONE OF THOSE AND SOME PEOPLR REALLY DISLIKE HIM A LOT

PirateDiva
Nope its just Jack lovers bash Will more when ppl prevoke Jack lovers!!

and the rest (like diaries and bloopers) he's just fun to pic on.....but i personally dont hate the Guy....i respect him...notice my siggy!!! big grin

Chiki Mina
OMG STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE ENOUGH ****ING THREADS THAT CAUSES CHAOS AROUND HERE!

For your info we have thread dedicated to orlando so go there and shut up!!

shit excuse my language and excuse me for bursting Im just so damn tired of people making threads that causes so many arguments and shit

There have been 1238921739 threads that cahsed bashing about Will and caused alot of chaos

PLEASE STOP MAKING THREADS THAT WILL END UP IN A FIGHT EVENTUALLY

im so ****ing tired if these kind of threads

crazychic
well then thi isnt the thread for you obviously and pirate diva thanks

Chiki Mina
Damn these threads. Its like all they do is post these kinds to make arguments then later on we end up offending eachother.

Mistypirate
Lets not, lets go debate more important things. Lets go back to symbolisms? Hey Mina I have to ask you a question..non POTC related. Can you Meet me at the off topic thread? smile

evilm0nki3
yes...there are tons of threads like this..

no expression

crazychic
ya well i think were all REALLY anxiose for potc3 to come out and our exitement is debating alot and to tell the truth were running out of topics

Chiki Mina
Originally posted by Mistypirate
Lets not, lets go debate more important things. Lets go back to symbolisms? Hey Mina I have to ask you a question..non POTC related. Can you Meet me at the off topic thread? smile

sure

LovelyOne
he's second fiddle..he cant even compare to Jack Sparrow..

Elizabeth is lead female, Jack is lead male..will is the back up character..I think he's not needed in the story at all.

crazychic
man lovely how many times r we going to have this debate did you see tmy reply about buffy

LovelyOne
yuh huh big grin

Will isnt needed he is only seond fiddle he is not the reason why the movie is a success..Elizabeth isnt either..its all Jack Sparrow..Elizabeth is only needed to be a love interest of the lead male IMO

In these kinds of movies..its never usually the second fiddle who wins the girl..

crazychic
well some movies do and i guess *sigh* jack makes it more exiting and i never hated jack for the record i just dont like j/l together if that makes you feel better

willofthewisp
People bash Will because he's not Jack.

Hambah
yep.

Chiki Mina
and people dont bash at Jack because he is not Will lol

SarahB
as i sed b4 on another thread...i dnt bash will i dnt even think ive tlked bout him lol- well nt as much- i do still like him though

LovelyOne
I do like Will..but I just dont think he's really what makes PotC what it is, He's not the reason I go to watch the movie..by AWE I may be totally wrong however..he may grow on me.

SarahB
mmmmmmm yh

Surreal_44
Well, I like Will. I think most people dislike Will because he stands in the way of a J/E relationship. Which is a silly reason to dislike him, but eh...whatever.

I'm not particularly fond of Jack. He's an interesting character, but he gets a bit tiresome. I think he'd be fun to be around, but only in small doses. big grin

katelovespirate
^^^ i disagree. the only reasons i have ever heard for people to dislike Will is that he is whiny, a pansy, too brash and not too smart, that type of thing.

most people who support J/E disliked the W/E relationship for other reasons (like their lack of chemistry) long before the possibility of J/E was introduced.

Surreal_44
And those arguments that Will is a pansy, whiney and too brash is mainly because they don't like Will because he's in the way of J/E. He isn't any of those things, except for being too brash.

And most people who say those things claim that J/E has always been a possibility.

The lack of chemistry is of course, not part of why anyone should or should not like Will. big grin This isn't a shipping thread, it's about why people dislike Will.

a-k-a-amber
hi surreal u havent been on in awhile big grin

dont get me wrong me? i like Will he's a funny charactor and in rality he is the hero of the movie but that doesnt mean i want him to get the girl wink

katelovespirate
Originally posted by Surreal_44
And those arguments that Will is a pansy, whiney and too brash is mainly because they don't like Will because he's in the way of J/E. He isn't any of those things, except for being too brash.

And most people who say those things claim that J/E has always been a possibility.

The lack of chemistry is of course, not part of why anyone should or should not like Will. big grin This isn't a shipping thread, it's about why people dislike Will.

i dont particularly want to argue, but you brought up the relationship thing first as a reason people don't like Will. smile

as for the rest, its a matter of opinion. I always thought Will was whiny and very dorky in the first film, but I liked him... it worked for his character, he was kind of precious. but not everyone likes that type of character, all relationship drama aside. lol.

Surreal_44
Will might have been somewhat socially awkward, but I never saw him as whiney.

And I mentioned that J/E shippers don't like Will because he stands in the way of J/E, but I wasn't going to go into the chemistry issue, simply because this is a "Why don't people like Will?" thread, and not a "Why don't people like W/E?" thread. big grin

Swann&Sparrow
I'm sorry but I just have to say this, what's with the growing rate of illiteracy? Seriously, it's didn't not dnt okay.

I'm tierd of having to deciper the words in some people's posts and the abreviations. Don't you care enough to write it down in proper English? Honestly, people have great points but I have a huge problem with reading it. The grammar is hard to decode too. Please, please, please use capitals, I'm begging you.

i is not right, it's I people.

Sorry, I just have to say that. It's been bugging me forever, this is not MSN it's the KMC forums. It's a professional place to talk about topics, not a chatting room to fill up with be4's or 4gets. I'm really sorry to have to say it in a rude way.

I know I say lol too. It's being hypocritical. I'm just saying that I would love to read everyone's posts, but if they're in code...I'm not smart enough to figure them out.

Please, let's all try to be literate together. big grin

(PS: For being hypocritical with my spelling errors, I'm sorry!)

katelovespirate
Originally posted by Swann&Sparrow
I'm sorry but I just have to say this, what's with the growing rate of illiteracy? Seriously, it's didn't not dnt okay.

I'm tierd of having to deciper the words in some people's posts and the abreviations. Don't you care enough to write it down in proper English? Honestly, people have great points but I have a huge problem with reading it. The grammar is hard to decode too. Please, please, please use capitals, I'm begging you.

i is not right, it's I people.

Sorry, I just have to say that. It's been bugging me forever, this is not MSN it's the KMC forums. It's a professional place to talk about topics, not a chatting room to fill up with be4's or 4gets. I'm really sorry to have to say it in a rude way.

I know I say lol too. It's being hypocritical. I'm just saying that I would love to read everyone's posts, but if they're in code...I'm not smart enough to figure them out.

Please, let's all try to be literate together. big grin

(PS: For being hypocritical with my spelling errors, I'm sorry!)

I'm down with that. I always have a hard time reading posts that aren't broken up into clear paragraphs. I love it when people use lots of lines in between points they are trying to make. smile Grammar is great, though I don't exactly have the best spelling these days... damn spell check! its ruined me forever. lol.

Swann&Sparrow
Thank you Kate. I just know that everyone here has great information to share but I dont' have the time to deciper it all. So often I end up skipping their posts or misreading it.

I know what you mean about spell check, it's ruined me forever too. sad

But back to Will, I'm sorry that I dislike him. Is it my fault, I can't make you see something that you won't let your self realize. For me, the way Orlando Bloom acted for the character just ruined the whole thing.

I'm not degrading Will because he's in the way of J/E. I'm not, seriously. I didn't like him in the first place, that's why I realized there must be something better than EW, and I found J/E. My dislike towards his character is only because of his character.

Without Jack beside him, without Liz beside him. He just plain doesn't do it for me. He can't make any movie by himself. He's a second character, supporting. Jack is the main, you cannot, not matter how many times you say it, have two lead males.

I dont' like the way Will treats Liz, I dont' like his soft approach. That's my preferance, I dont' care what you see. This is what I see, I understand you think he's great. Wow, amazing, I didnt' know that.

Guess what, I did.

I know Will is a great guy, he's brave and he's willing to do anything for his loved one. But I can't help hating him. It's just plain and simple, I dont' like his character.

And it has nothing to do with J/E. It's just Will.

crazychic
well everyones reasons are well interesting... and he isnt a whiny pansy boy GOSH

Swann&Sparrow
Prove it

EDIT TO SAY : Lmfao, that was immature. I know he isn't a pansy boy. I just like to say that he is, I understand that he's brave though. Dont' worry, I don't delude my self with faulse accusations.

Will is brave.

Red Two
I take a neutral stance in this.what no more fights.DAMMM DAMM THE DEVIL TO HElll shit

crazychic
nice red two and wink and swann thanks he really is brave

sparrobethroxmy
yea Will is ok but he seems over protective and bossy kinda but he is loyal and brave ill give him that but in the leaked scrpit he is sorta mean to Jack and if he truly loved elizabeth he will want her to be happy not say " I dont want to see her give her heart to a man who hase none!" i mean what kind of man says that to another man who saved his life. im not trying to bash Will but he has a dark side to him and jeolousy is what triggers it, yea he gets in the way for j/l to be together but to me that makes it more interesting like "forbidden love".

crazychic
interesting im always up for a good debate will may have a dark side but jack does too isnt that what attracts you j/e shippers a mysteriouse edgy pirate

sparrobethroxmy
not me really what attracts me most to j/l is their chemistry they are like peas in a pod. Yes jack does have a dark side to him but not to ever kill anyone unles it's barbossa for you can't stop him unless you kill him and Will doesn't care for Jack at all he wont accept the truth, he only saves jack so he can get the pearl, jack probably will do the same but not to really hurt somebody just only to get what he wants but Will he will he hates Jack and in cotbp you never thought he would be the type to ever do something liek that. But i dont hate Will he is a good character but just not my favorite. like most poeple said in potc 1 i thought w/l were cute but it never intrest me i was liek cool a pirates movie but when DMC came out i saw a whole new meaning j/l i loved it i fell in love with pirates it blew my heart away i saw the movie three times becuz i loved the j/l pairing.

crazychic
well bottom line is jack is and forever will be a PIRATE and he will NEVER have any real reguard torwards other peoples feelings

sparrobethroxmy
Yes he is a pirate but not by choice he used to be apart of EITC and freed some slave or something like that then beckette branded him a pirate, so he had no choice so he but became a pirate. he does have regards towards other peoples feelings beasue in the first movie he does help Will try and win Elizabeths heart, also he never really interfeared with their relationship all he did was pretty harmful he just flurted and elizabeth was the one who kissed him. He can fall in love for he is in love and i think he will want what is best for lizzie. He may be a pirate but he is one hell of a good man and that is why i LOVE him!!! he has a heart just like everyone else i think if you want to be mad at someone who doesn't have any regard for others people's feelings go after Elizabeth swann she is prfessional at it.

Mistypirate
Originally posted by crazychic
well bottom line is jack is and forever will be a PIRATE and he will NEVER have any real reguard torwards other peoples feelings

No offense but were you paying attention to the movie? Jack will never have any regards towards others feelings??? What does Jack returning back to the Pearl tells you? He came back to save the people that were in it. Not because he felt the desire to be eaten by a Kraken, well maybe he did, big grin if you know what I'm saying. wink

mmoviejunkie
No offense but were you paying attention to the movie? Jack will never have any regards towards others feelings??? What does Jack returning back to the Pearl tells you? He came back to save the people that were in it. Not because he felt the desire to be eaten by a Kraken, well maybe he did, big grin if you know what I'm saying. wink

lol!!!

'n yeah i totally agree with you!

crazychic
OH WELL I FOGOT ABOUT THAT PART SORRY embarrasment

Mistypirate
You don't have to, smile I understand. It wasn't a Will scene.

crazychic
ya i zone out on everything else

Mistypirate
Really?? confused You , missed the scene when Jack was eaten by the Kraken?

katelovespirate
jack's honest streak/concern for others' feelings is actually one of the central points of conflict in the film. if he honestly didn't care about others, he would have no problem being the pirate he claims to be. wink

Mistypirate
Thats what made Liz fall head over heals for him. When he went back to The Pearl she realized that greedy pirate was not what he claimed to be. He was a pirate but also a good man. IMO That was what attracted her the most. She had faith in him, deep down inside she knew he had that honest streak in him. Thanks Kate that gave me another idea for the 1,000 things why J/L should be together thread.

crazychic
Really?? confused You , missed the scene when Jack was eaten by the Kraken? NO I SAW THAT I JUST DONT PAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION TO SOME PARTS

Pirates-Orlie
I think Will is a great character! It's fun to see how he's becoming a pirate while he don't wants to. And he's soooooooooooooooooo hot! I LOVE HIM!!!

Bwa Ha Ha

Surreal_44
Will is pretty hot.

Especially when he's wet. Yummy. big grin

surfchikpir8fan
Orlando Bloom is a fantastic actor, and I get upset when people bash him because if he wasn't a good actor, then why is he where he is now? If you want too see Orlando as the main character, as a macho person, then watch 'Kingdom of Heaven'.

*SPOILER* HIGHLIGHT TO READ - in Kingdom of Heaven he did the first kill, he stabbed a red-hot sword into a bishop then threw him in a fireplace! *SPOILER OVER*

I personally love the main three characters so much. I can't really decide now who is my favourite. I loved his character in the first movie, how he was a little dorky and sweet; breaking lamps then hiding them in umbrella stands, trying pirate slang, etc. But he also so brave, so selfless. Then in the second movie his character changed and he was still brave but determined and fierce and had matured.

Basically I can't wait to see what he does in AWE!

P.S. Does anyone agree, that the first movie was Elizabeth's movie, the second movie is Will's and then of course AWE will be Jacks'? Just wondering.

surfchikpir8fan
BTW sorry had to show how well he plays a knight in Kingdom of Heaven.

He is the one with the sword raised in the centre.

willofthewisp
How could you not pay attention to the kracken scene? No offense, but you have to see that to even understand why there is a 3rd movie in the first place. I honestly like Will. Just because I don't think he and Liz are well suited for each other doesn't mean I don't think he's great. His character is fun to watch just because of all the growing up he's done just between 1 and 2. He's the Luke Skywalker of the series, and seeing their rite of passage is awesome.

tee_pirategirl
yup he's very luke! and yes well I pick on him sometimes cause he's easy to pick on but only as a joke cause he's HOT and really cute when he has his moments. so no will BASHING...some jokes sometimes though speaking off record I have to say that at some points his character is a bit week but hey none of the characters are perfect. that's the beauty of it! so altogether will ROX!!

willofthewisp
Yeah, I'm a bit too mean to him sometimes, and I wouldn't say he's hot, but he's a good kid and he deserves some happiness, just not with Liz.

katelovespirate
my deal is that Orlando has not mastered the fine art of vulnerability like Johnny Depp has. It's not that Jack Sparrow as a character is more likeable because he is outrageous--- it's because he has the range of a real person, and an overwhelming person at that, the sort of person who would naturally sweep you off your feet in a manner of speaking, right? There's not yet enough range to Will's character to make it go anywhere for me imaginatively so to speak.

willofthewisp
That has something to do with Will's personality, though. I think Will isn't the type to naturally sweep people off their feet. He's meant to be an everyday sort of guy who is thrown into not-everyday situations and uses his cleverness and skills to get out of them. I think Orlando Bloom plays him correctly. Think too that if he did have that personality, we'd be overwhelmed watching him and Johnny onscreen together. We'd be too overstimulated.

tee_pirategirl
I really think that's true. will's supposed to be the REAL person in these movies, he's just as stunned about things that happen to him as we are..not like Elizabeth (I don't know why I get the feel that elizabeth adjusts to the situation more naturally) but I take it back what I said about his character not being strong...it really is now that I remeber how he led the crew to the battle and used his skills (not wit) through the whole movie but his personality is sorta weak it's unnatural for someone to be so selfless and RIGHT. I mean remember the fight with Jack? when you're dying u don't CARE if u cheat or not do u?

Black Dalek
Will sucks. Orlando Bloom acted horribly for that fella.

surfchikpir8fan
Well I'm gonna stick up for Will and Orlando! Orlando was picked for this character because he was thought to be the best at it and I think it's proved he is!

Except for he's outlook on pirates, of all the characters I relate to Will the most!

katelovespirate
eh, Orlando doesn't bother me. I think he's pretty charming, more charming and charismatic than Johnny Depp in real life (my opinion.) which is why it's wierd to see Johnny overshadowing him to such a huge degree. I know what you are saying, Willofthewisp, about him playing the normal guy, but Orlando as a person comes across as very warm and sweet, and that doesn't translate at ALL into Will, who often seems cold, angry, and detatched. He's better in the second film, but despite the dark circumstances and the fact that his poor character doesn't exactly get happy scenes, I wish he could be a bit more winsome.

You know when he's on the pelagostos island, his two lines "i'm not going to eat you" and "jack sparrow! I can honestly say I'm glad to see you!" those two lines are brilliant, and I love Will more in those moments than at any other time in the films.

T and T said on their site they like to let their hero smile frequently, because nothing captivates an audience more. As Will is suppose to be getting more heroic, I hope they take their own advice and let him smile/laugh/be happy for some of film 3.

Depprived
Hate is a strong word, but here are my reasons for disliking William Turner:

1. I think Bloom is a terrible actor and that annoys me.

2. The character is just plain dull.

3. He's in the way of J/E and that's just not acceptable! wink

Surreal_44
Will Turner is in general, not a happy character. His dad left the family, leaving Will's mother to raise a son alone, and I assume, did not leave them a great deal of money to do so.

Then Will loses his mum, and after he joins the crew of a ship, it is attacked by pirates, where the slaughter is horrific, and it seems that Will is the only survivor.

Next he gets shuttled off to a man who seems to spend most of his time drunk, and who knows what Will had to go through with that. Having a drunk for a parental substitution is absolutely draining emotionally.

Top it off, in CotBP he's in love with a girl that society deems is so far above him, he might as well love an angel, and then all the stuff he learns about his dad -- the one hope he had that maybe his life wasn't so bad after all -- and you have a character who has to be tough in order to survive.

He doesn't laugh much or let loose like Jack does, because Will simply hasn't had that kind of opportunity. Considering all he's been through, it's rather amazing Will didn't end up a serial killer.

Also, I think Will's character comes across as being vulnerable, but it's more of an angry vulnerability; he meets and covers up that weakness inside himself with defiance and near self-destructive behavior.

At least that's how I read Will's character. big grin

surfchikpir8fan
I absolutely agree with you surreal and Kate, you've both put his character across to me the perfect way! I've never thought of his character like that. I wish I had earlier, you're right, I can't believe how brave and tough someone is; and yet he still manages to sort of hide it all ... I'm very sad for him now ...

katelovespirate
Originally posted by Surreal_44
Will Turner is in general, not a happy character. His dad left the family, leaving Will's mother to raise a son alone, and I assume, did not leave them a great deal of money to do so.

Then Will loses his mum, and after he joins the crew of a ship, it is attacked by pirates, where the slaughter is horrific, and it seems that Will is the only survivor.

Next he gets shuttled off to a man who seems to spend most of his time drunk, and who knows what Will had to go through with that. Having a drunk for a parental substitution is absolutely draining emotionally.

Top it off, in CotBP he's in love with a girl that society deems is so far above him, he might as well love an angel, and then all the stuff he learns about his dad -- the one hope he had that maybe his life wasn't so bad after all -- and you have a character who has to be tough in order to survive.

He doesn't laugh much or let loose like Jack does, because Will simply hasn't had that kind of opportunity. Considering all he's been through, it's rather amazing Will didn't end up a serial killer.

Also, I think Will's character comes across as being vulnerable, but it's more of an angry vulnerability; he meets and covers up that weakness inside himself with defiance and near self-destructive behavior.

At least that's how I read Will's character. big grin

well I agree with all your logic, Jack is a very happy character who has probably had a life doubly as hard as Will's. Jack has been in and out of every bad situation you could imagine, and continues to be cheery, even if only because of the rum.

surfchikpir8fan
I'm just turning into a Will fan now ... what's wrong with me?

Surreal_44
But there are still enough differences in their lives that make up for it. Whereas Jack has had some amount of a comfortable career, first with the EITC (until he was betrayed), and then as a pirate (until he was betrayed).

Plus, we don't know what Jack's childhood was like. Considering he had a career in the EITC, I would guess it was at least somewhat cushy and more stable than what Will has had.

Not to mention it isn't fair to compare 'tragedies', since the personality make-up is different for each person, so different people are more susceptible to be impacted negatively by certain situations than others.

Also, Jack's cheerfulness has been mentioned as a kind of mask, right? So he's probably just as messed up as Will, but his survival mechanism is just different.

And surfchikpir8fan, you can be a Will fan AND a Jack fan...you can even like Will if you're a J/E shipper. laughing laughing Will is a great character and he SHOULD be appreciated. big grin

jackismyboo
Will is cool i mean he is like one of those characters who you would like to hug! i just love Jack more maybe cuz of his personality he just makes me laugh you just got to love him.

Jack life i think is a bit worse then Wills, but he just knows how to cope with it, he moves on. I think the pearl makes up for his unhappiness the way he talks about her is happiness, and also rum helps with his coping.

willofthewisp
You can definitely be a fan of as many characters as you want. Who's on all the dvd covers? Will, Jack, and Liz. They're a trio, each different from the others, but perfectly compatible and equally interesting and heroic.

That's interesting about comparing Jack and Will's lives. They've both had a hard way to go, so Surreal has a point that Will hasn't had much opportunity to smile. Or at least the times he probably did smile a lot (the year between COTBP and DMC) we didn't get to see them. I think he handles things better than Jack actually. Will doesn't run away from anything. He thinks it through, hones in on his skills, and usually wins. Sometimes he needs some help, but he usually gets past whatever obstacle has come his way.

Jack has probably had a tougher life since becoming a pirate, but before that, we don't know anything yet except his dad is alive. Jack, although very VERY smart, has the impulse to first run from his problems. He drinks a lot, and he wears a mask almost all the time and around almost everyone. He will do the right thing, and like Will, he does think about the situation, but he doesn't face it head on. He manipulates it to fit what he needs. Both strategies work, but obviously Jack's takes more brain power and causes more stress.

I think Jack is more amused by his bad luck and clumsiness than Will is, though. That's just a personality difference, not better or worse.

Surreal_44
Exactly, Willo. I wasn't trying to imply that Jack is worse than Will; I was simply saying that they handle things differently.

And I think the childhood and what has happened in them is very important, as Willo also pointed out. Jack probably had some bad stuff happen, but I'm not sure it was as...traumatic as what Will had.

Will is also at leat (I assume) 10 years younger than Jack, so the age difference is kind of important too. Will is still working out the best way to handle things, whereas Jack has had time to perfect what he does.

katelovespirate
Maybe that's what bothers me. He's sort of pitiable, and i hate that... its like the writers are trying to force me to like him/root for him BECAUSE he has had bad stuff happen and is dealing with it...

whereas with Jack, it's like smelling a hookah ten feet off. no one's forcing you to get closer, you just want to.

tee_pirategirl
Exactimento! if anything all odds say u should stay away from Jack! and I'm just a fool for rebels!!! I actually DO like Will very much...he's everything u look for in a man. (in jack's wordssmile "have u not met will turner? he's barve! heroic...." (not to mention handsome) but I guess the reason I prefer Jack, underneath all the surface stuff (his witt, looks, sense of humor etc.) is that I find his struggle for freedom absolutely fascinating!!! of all characters I mostly relate to Elizabeth. I've always been doing the right thing...getting good grades,wearing nice clothes and living by the rules and now I'm just feel so labored by that...

I guess that's why I love JE (one of the reasons) I see myself in Lizzie and I just need to know what it tastes like...

getting past all that Will is a great person but as kate said...it's like they're forcing me to like him and that makes me like him just slightly less than Jack. He's just too good to be real...TOO falwless...TOO perfect and that's just what I'm trying to run away from. REAL people have flaws and I guess he's not REAL to me. he's like the prince in some kind of a disney fairytail that would never happen except for in story books....on the other hand though what makes me feel for him is his volnerability. he's just so mortal.

ok it's getting long so I'll just leave it at that.

Surreal_44
Actually, Will is one of the most flawed characters of the series, and no, I don't think Will is pitiable, or that the writers are trying to force anyone to like him.

Will is just more straight-forward than Jack. Jack HIDES who he is behind a mask, whereas for Will it's all right there; the only time he dissembles is when he's in front of people who have a higher position in society than him, and by the end of CotBP, he has gotten over that need to hide who he is from others.

Has anyone noticed that Jack is the catalyst for ALL the characters to sort of come out of their shells?

The people most changed, I think, are actually Will and Norrington, and not Elizabeth. She's always been stubborn and headstrong, and yeah, now she's kind of thumbing her nose at society, but it wasn't as big a jump for her character to do so.

Will was more constrained by society than even Elizabeth in many ways, and meeting Jack helped him to do things no one in his position would have dreamed of.

Jack is actually more boring to me, because I don't see the development in him that I see in Will. The idea that Jack is just discovering that he's a good man isn't really true; he was already a good man. He needs to accept that he's a good man, but even that isn't as much of a change in character as what we've seen Will go through, and what we will see him go through in AWE.

lovethemtigers
I beg to differ....the Jack Sparrow that was in DMC was very different from the character in COTBP...Jack was more "carefree" and "happy" in COTBP....in DMc we we him letting his vunerability show..and his softer side...I mean...the way Jack is in that last scene...nothing could have prepared me for that...the way jack looks at lizzie just before the kiss..the way he smiles at her..the way he faces the Kraken....Jack is also smart, clever, brave and a good man...but it's his honest side that gets him into trouble..that's why he tries so hard to hide it....

As for Will...he's okay..but I don't need to see Will to make the Pirates movie complete for me....I liked him in COTBP....but by the end of DMC I'm not so sure....and yes, I'll agree, will has had a hard life and that's probably why he is awkward around Liz in the beginning and why he's so bitter about Pirates, etc. But he is Brave and Heroic..i'll give ya'll that...but I guess Will is boring because orlando plays him...maybe if someone with more electricity played him...I'd be rooting for Will instead of Jack..who knows...all i know is that the character of Jack brought to life by Johnny Depp is the best all time character for me...so it's hard to pit orlando up against that...and that's straight from the critics' mouths who reviewed the movies....

Surreal_44
I don't really give a rat's tail what critics say about anything. I rarely agree with them, so whatever they say is kind of pointless to me.

Jack showed vulnerability in CotBP. So nothing Jack did surprised me in DMC. *shrug* Jack is a rather predictable character, and the only real way he could surprise me is if he turned out to be ~EVIL~.

What's so interesting about Pirates of the Caribbean is that the three main men (I'm including Norrington in this, yes big grin ) are very different, and yet are all similar.

They're all clever, brave, selfless in some respects, selfish, good men...the list goes on. big grin It's rare to have characters like them in a film like this, because they all are heroic, but have a small streak of the villain in them.

It'll be interesting to see how the end plays out for all of them, and who will make the biggest sacrifices...and hopefully we'll see someone get rewarded for their sacrifice for once. big grin

Djinn

katelovespirate
Okay, maybe this will explain my views of Jack And Will and why I like one better than the other. I know there was another thread but this is pretty much the sum up of why i love them:

Jack:

Heart of the Ocean

Candlelight dies at the window
And the night wind blows soft from the sea
Though I lie in your arms, I'm a thousand miles away
On the waves sailing fast, sailing free

Now I'm bound for the heart of the ocean
I'm riding the sea in my soul
In the dark and the deep
She will rock me to sleep
Down below... where the black waters roll

When the sea birds cry out in the morning
And the sun lays its kiss on the sand
I'll be drawn to the shore
Like so many times before
As I long to be far from the land.

Now I'm bound for the heart of the ocean
I'm riding the sea in my soul
In the dark and the deep
She will rock me to sleep
Down below... where the black waters roll

I can still hear your voice on the trade winds
I can still taste your tears on the foam
But the lure of the tide that I'm feeling inside
Will not rest till my heart finds its home

Now my heart is the heart of the ocean
There are storms from the sea in my soul
I'm restless and deep
And before I can sleep
I must go... where the black waters roll

Will:

Backstreet Boys - Just Want You To Know Lyrics

Looking at your picture from when we first met

You gave me a smile that I could never forget

And nothing I could do could protect me from you that night

Wrapped around your finger, always on my mind

The days would blend 'cause we stayed up all night

Yeah, you and I were everything, everything to me

I just want you to know that I've been fighting to let you go

Some days I make it through and then there's nights that never
end

I wish that I could believe that there's a day you'll come back
to me

But still I have to say I would do it all again

Just want you to know

All the doors are closing I'm tryin' to move ahead

And deep inside I wish it's me instead

My dreams are empty from the day, the day you slipped away

I just want you to know that I've been fighting to let you go

end

to me

Just want you to know

That since I lost you, I lost myself

No I can't fake it, there's no one else

I just want you to know

That I've been fighting to let you go

end

to me

Just want you to know

That I've been fighting to let you go

end

to me

Just want you to know

And that's pretty much it. I love boy bands for getting ready to go out at night, or driving to the beach or whatever, but I dance under the moon to Gaelic Storm and thats the music of my soul. know what I'm saying? gah I dont know. I dont really care who has had a harder life.

I do agree that the three main men are really, really similar. smile

siriuswriter
Something obvious - putting Will's character alongside Jack's, at least at first glance, you're going to pick Jack for the more interesting. He's more entertaining. Just watching Jack WALK is fun.

I agree that Will was rather... stoic through DMC. There's only so much I can relate to when a character's jaw is set with determination for two hours straight. I also agree that my favorite line of his was, "Jack Sparrow, I can honestly say I'm glad to see you!" It was said with lots of humanity, not to mention a great smile. big grin

Perhaps some of it lies with Orlando Bloom, as well. I don't really think he's had the role that will make him blossom as a "good" actor yet, and Will seems to have a kind of blandness that again, makes him unlikeable.

But of course, it can't be easy playing solid, dependable Will against flamboyant Jack. There's no doubt which character I would choose to play...

tee_pirategirl
yeah I agree whith that....Orlando really is a good actor. he's actually pretty cool and his charcter is really the oposite of him. He's shy, brave and he's not so happy. and Orlando does a really good job on that cause even in the special features on the COTBP dvd Gore said that he has toremind Orlando "not to be so cool and piraty" and keeping it down is as hard as letting it all out so Orlando did a really good job.

He just hasn't had "THAT role" yet. the one that makes his career. he's had a lot of good characters but I think he's still looking for the one that will make him shine. You know like Jack was Johnny's.

Chiki Mina
Out of topic a bit, but I have a question. Why are most of these old threads are appearing all of the sudden...?

Hambah
people miss them, i guess.
but it's getting annoying.
people should know that threads die for a reason.

Chiki Mina
It's 2007....I think it's best to move on erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.