Terry's Take On How AWE Will Be At The Boxoffice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ToddianGirl
I got this from KTC. Terry posted this on his and Ted's Message board wordplayer.com

Terry wrote:
>> My prediction: AWE will earn more than DMC over its lifetime, but it will take time.

Mmm, I really don't think so. There's a business side to the movie biz, and there are some consistent factors to box office.

DMC made 132 million in one weekend. That's crazy. That's a mob frenzy. It was a case of the stars aligning, Depp's mystique, appreciation for the first movie, a great title, excellent trailer, no competition ... tulip mania hitting its height.

With Spidy and Shrek as options, if AWE still opens to a VERY VERY GOOD 70 million dollar weekend, that will still be 50% less than the record (and I'm not kidding, the critics will of course blame the screenplay).

If you start at 70 instead of 130, there is no way -- with Harry Potter waiting -- you can get to 425. Last summer, worldwide, everyone backed away from Pirates. We don't have that next summer.

And -- DMC had so many new things to offer -- you had to go see the Kraken, you had to go see Davy Jones, you had to see the rolling bone cages and the fight on the wheel, etc., Jack running from cannibals, Jack with the Black Spot, etc.

It's not known yet if AWE has that kind of must-see appeal. Best thing about AWE, in my opinion, is Geoffrey Rush is back. And a kick-a** ending.

Now I think Pirates will do well, of course. $600 million worldwide at least. Nothing wrong with that, except that the bar has been raised so high.
Now that he says that AWE is to have a Kick Butt Ending that only means on thing Right? JACK SPARROW!

Mistypirate
Something curious is,that he mentioned was that people were interested in seeing Jack's black spot why would people be interested in seeing that? sick Unless he was talking about what it represented, obviously the black spot made Jack realize something about his life. That was why he was acting the way he did Notice Terry also mentions the cannibal scene.
wink

LovelyOne
It amazes me how he just wont admit that the J/E chemistry was such a huge thing about the movie..people loved it man..its getting on my nerves a bit now..they are so trying to do damage control for J/E

Its like Jack this, Jack that, Jack running from Davy J, Jack's black spot

um how about "Jack and Elizabeth LIP LOCK?" "Jack falling for Elizabeth"?? "Jack Sparrow gets the girl"??

why are they denying that this was a large part of DMC's success?

If Jack Sparrow was what made the movie and everything that happened to him in the movie made the movie then him falling for Liz and vise versa IS a huge factor yet he refuses to admit it...

grrr

LovelyOne
I mean for gods sake Jack and Elizabeth are nominated for best onscreen pair up in the people's choice awards...and yet they still refuse to say that J/E is a large factor in DMC's success...they are annoying me because they know they have screwed it up with a W/E based love story for AWE..

SarahB
yh i kno... i guess they didnt intend 4 it to be tht way but its kinda impossible 4 nt even them 2 see tht.

a-k-a-amber
u know if they put a kiss in the trailer for AWE everyone would go see it and we all know we will put our money into the movie *nomatter what happens*

katelovespirate
they sure are using the kiss to sell the dvd... hee hee hee. at least they understand the all-consuming importance of Jack to the series' success. smile "Depp's mystique". thats hot. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.