Voice Overs: The good the bad and the ugly

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kenshinswife
Okay lets face it: Voice overs totally matter!! So what i want to know is who you think i had a decent/ greatest voice over and who you think had the worst that totally ruined the game for you (or maybe upset you). Who and why.

RedAlertv2
Splinter Cell games always have top-notch voicovers

As for anyone whose ever played Codename PANZERS, you can agree that the voiceovers ruined the experience.

SaTsuJiN
The Good : Metal Gear Solid series voice acting

The Bad : The beginning voice acting of FFX.. it seemed like from the middle and onward they all the sudden learned how to do it.. kinda hard to describe.. ugh.. and the english version of the hymn of the fayth is horrible

The Ugly : Almost the entire english cast of dragonball Z games.. the only saving grace is Goku's english voice actor.. everyone else just plain sucks...really bad

Blaxican
I like vegetas in every saga except for the Saiyan one. His voice is really nasaly in that one.

MadMel
LOK voice OVERS..
LOOM voice ACTING..

pr1983
the first resident evil on playstation... they were god awful...

Smasandian
Half Life 2. That is some of the best voiceactin I have every played.
Monolith games like No Lives Forever series had some of the best VO work also.

Worst: Well, Superman Returns demo was pretty worst.

ESB -1138
Gears of War has pretty good voice actors.

Twilight Princess has no voice actors.

Final Fantasy XII has pretty good voice actors.

AstroFan
Good: KOTOR

Bad: Wrestling games.(cept for a few wrestlers who actually try)

IceJaw
Really good: Halflife 2 woot

Worst: Resident evil 1 for PS1 and Code Veronica.

Spartan005
My favorites are probably Halo and Splinter Cell Series (MC and Sam Fisher are great) and the worst is Definetely the voice acting from House of the Dead 2... it was just laughable laughing no expression

AstroFan
Sonic games deserve a vote for worst. yes

dirkdirden
Silent Hill 1
Resedent evil
valkyrie profile 2
all DBZ games

Best is mario because he doesn't talk just grunts and makes funny noises.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by AstroFan
Sonic games deserve a vote for worst. yes

Only the newer. Back in the Adventure days the voice actors were actually good.

AstroFan
Not really, I always view talking hedgehogs as bad. lol

BackFire
The Resident Evil voice acting is atrocious, but at the same time, it's awesome. It's like a cheesy horror movie. Some of the classic lines from that game wouldn't be classic if they weren't said using shitty voice acting. "Grab the rope!" "I hope this is not Chris' blood".

Awesome.

MadMel
good ol' cheesy horror !!
big grin

SaTsuJiN
Jill - "captain wesker, wheres chris!?"

Wesker - "...he's probably..."

Jill - "...no!.."

lol and don't forget :

Jill - "Oh barry!"

Barry - "You were almost a jill sandwich!" (makes me roll mah eyes everytime)

then theres always

*gunshot*

Barry - "Maybe its.... chris...." *spooky music*

Virtua Cop has to take the cake for some crappy VO'ing
*hostage runs at cop with arms flailing* "(in monotone voice) Dont shoot me...." no expression

K73SK
what pissed me off was the gay guy on enchanted arms. his voice was so damn disrupting. even the main characters voice when he called "ITS COTA!!" or called for his friend saying "TOYA!!!" ...but somehow i survived.

Mywi

Gregory
Bad?
"Die, monster! You don't belong in this world"
All of the Resident Evil games

Good?
I've found that in general, RPGs have pretty good voice-acting compared to other genres. Nothing really springs to mind.

Kazenji
The Bad- Megaman 8 Dr Light

and Resident evil 1 is obvisouly a given.

Impediment
RE1 is a staple for bad voice acting.

a41TAy7RfVI

Phanteros
unlock this door, since your the master of unlocking.

famous.

Ms.Marvel
oh my..... KHAWD... haermm

Morridini
I have no specific games in mind, but I always love Claudia Black's voice-acting (Chloe in Uncharted 2 for instance), Mark Hamill as the Joker is also excellent, and of course Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher.

tom_servo
How can anyone forget the anime cutscenes in Megaman 8?

Nemesis X
Good: Heavy Rain. You gotta admit, the voice acting is very well done.

Bad: Silent Hill 1. Even Resident Evil 1 has better voice actors.

Ugly: Dynasty Warriors 3. I swear, it sounded like some of the voice actors were drunk.

Kazenji
Originally posted by tom_servo
How can anyone forget the anime cutscenes in Megaman 8?

Look again....

Won Fei Fon
The best: Metal Gear Solid by a long shot. Truly legendary voice acting.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Impediment
RE1 is a staple for bad voice acting.

a41TAy7RfVI You are aware that that has become entirely intentional on the part of Capcom, right?

Also, played with Barry Burton a couple days ago in RE5. BURTON BOOT FTW.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by NemeBro
You are aware that that has become entirely intentional on the part of Capcom, right?

Also, played with Barry Burton a couple days ago in RE5. BURTON BOOT FTW.

I prefer Excella Gionne, Cross Slap, Disco Spin, Humiliate, First Aid. Telling those bitches that they are still a child, they're just not ready for me.

Nephthys
Baldurs Gate 2 had some damn good voice overs. Irenicus for one was Bad-Ass and others who were great were Imoen, Minsc, Viconia, Edwin, Jaheira and Korgan. And TIAX! from BG1 was of course legendary, though his pants DOTH RISE MOST UNCOMFORTABLY! Also Freedom Force had some great hammy lines, especially when someone says 'evil-doer' in an ominous voice.

Gabriel Knight voices were epicly crap though.

NemeBro
Shepard from Mass Effect. His male voice is God.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by NemeBro
Shepard from Mass Effect. His male voice is God.

And female Shepard's voice is Goddess.

Quincy
The best voice acting comes from the Dynasty Warriors Franchise.

"GOOoooOOOooooOOOOO MY CHILDREN OF THE YELLOW TURBAN!"

Impediment
Darkstalkers had a lousy VA for War. Mark Hamill stole the show as a demon.

Resident Evil 5 was great, except for the lousy Irving VA. God, that was bad to listen to.

You gotta love Sammy L. Jackson's acting in Afro Samurai. Great game.

Smasandian
The ugly: Heavy Rain. Just bad VO work and considering the game is dependent on voice and character interaction, I cannot believe it was that bad.

truejedi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

It really doesn't get worse than that, does it?

Nephthys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAjCalJcUBk Skip to 3.40 and listen to the horror of Gabriel Knights accent. I imagine thats what Cthulu sounds like.

tom_servo
Originally posted by Smasandian
The ugly: Heavy Rain. Just bad VO work and considering the game is dependent on voice and character interaction, I cannot believe it was that bad.

Yeah. I've only played up until where the Origami Killer kidnaps Shaun..And I'm starting to REALLY dislike this game. Mostly because of the Sixaxis interactions and...the god awful voice acting.
Oh. And the CG / Mocap work is shoddy too, btw.

Might take it back and use the credit on War for Cybertron.

Superherovandal
Arkham Asylum and the Uncharted series have some of the finest voice acting I've ever heard in a video game.

Menetnashté
Metal Gear Solid as everyone has said is awesome. The worst voice acting ever has to go to Just Cause 2, I never played the first one but the second one was just...my God...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.