I just started thinking....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vegaofthelyre
about Liz and Jack and the nature of their relationship. I mean, obviously, it is HOT in the extreme, what relationship wouldn't be if it included Keira & Johnny and the Caribbean?

But I started thinking about it in relation to real life-- all crazy chemistry and knowing so clearly you're over your head with a bad boy you can't handle but that just makes it better, right? Speaking from personal experience, that kind of relationship is passionate and exciting in the extreme, but a lot of the times, you feel like you're getting VERY carsick and dizzy.

In that sense, I sympathize with poor Lizzie. sad Also, it makes me wonder what I would do in her situation. As much I would love to make out with Johnny endlessly, being in a stupor 24/7 is not conducive to a healthy or productive life. stick out tongue

What do you guys think?

evilm0nki3
i think jack is going to change a bit...

he has to find a place in the New World...

i dunno.. whatever the writers decide stick out tongue

pyratequeen
I don't know. I mean, I know that Jack obviously likes Lizzy, but I'm not so sure about how she feels towards him.

willofthewisp
On the surface, it does display passion in a big way, but I do think there is a little more to it than that. There is clearly respect and admiration for the other, which is a huge thing when it comes to a relationship working. One of my psych professors said there are a few basic things in order for a relationship to work out.

1. Proximity: just being around each other to get to know one another
I think Jack and Liz spend enough time together to know what makes the other tick and develop common interests, etc. But if a relationship can't survive separation (Will and Liz)....

2. Attractiveness: Believe it or not, this is actually a factor. You don't have to be great looking, but most couples are equals when it comes to their looks. This could work for either relationship since all three main characters are pretty attractive on an equal level.

3. Similarities: This is the huge one. People don't marry their opposite. Things like values, beliefs, and the decision-making process need to be nearly the same in order for things to work. Jack and Liz clearly sympathize with pirates and crave the same things out of life. The W/E relationship implies there will be a lack of adventure which Liz needs.

4. Gender Difference: This may sound a little controversial at first, but the psychologist Buss actually did a lot of work on this. Men and women from all cultures are attracted to certain things about the opposite sex, theorized to be based on evolution. Men usually go for women younger than they are and they place a higher importance on a fit, healthy looking body than women do. Liz fits these. Women usually go for someone older who can support them financially and in some way protect them. While Will tries, he's not very good at actualy protecting Liz and somewhere her consciousness knows it and seeks that relationship with Jack.

And lastly, this isn't really a factor, but we tend to like people who like us. While it is definite Will likes Liz, it is very hard for any human being to completely be unattracted to someone who likes them...like, say, Jack liking Liz. That can wear a person down easily and that's why many relationships where there is a lot of separation don't work out. Because other people come along and we can't resist them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.