PR wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lando005
superman vs j jonah jamerson

superman moves to new york jjj isnt too happy about it can he ruin superman's rep like he did spidy's?

Draco69
No. Lex Luthor has tried that for years and has failed everytime.

Superman is just to likeable....

And unlike Spider-Man, he doesn't wear a mask and is open with what he does and who he is.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Draco69
And unlike Spider-Man, he doesn't wear a mask and is open with what he does and who he is.
And yet almost no one knew who he was, and he used hypnotism to make sure of that...

Yeah, real "Open"

Entity
If its in Marvel U then yes its entirely possible they actually give their hero real problems that they don't always recover from.
If this is DCU however, no way does this do little more than barely phase supes. DC has very few heroes the world doesn't know trust and love. Since this is supes all trying to tarnish Kal's image will do is destroy Jamesons respect and career.

Entity
Originally posted by King Kandy
And yet almost no one knew who he was, and he used hypnotism to make sure of that...

Yeah, real "Open"

Just more of the never ending Superman total BS!!!
Should I even begin to mention T-vo..... Whatever the hell that is!

lando005
No. Lex Luthor has tried that for years and has failed everytime.

Superman is just to likeable....

And unlike Spider-Man, he doesn't wear a mask and is open with what he does and who he is. he doesnt wear a mask yet out of all the people that know clark nobody's been able to put 2 and 2 together

lando005
also jonah's very presistaint he's been after spider-man for years and hasn't given up yet

Entity
Originally posted by lando005
he doesnt wear a mask yet out of all the people that know clark nobody's been able to put 2 and 2 together

Thats DC for ya.
Wonder how they will explan that in Smallville, since he never wears glasses or acts like a total nerd/dork.

Oh, thats right they either won't or they will claim he used somekind of mindwiping devise from the fortress!

To quote Luther, "I hate you, God I hate you"

batdude123
he doesnt wear a mask yet out of all the people that know clark nobody's been able to put 2 and 2 together

Considering how many times Clark Kent and Superman (one of his robots) have been spotted together in public, it's not a stretch...

Entity
Originally posted by batdude123
Considering how many times Clark Kent and Superman (one of his robots) have been spotted together in public, it's not a stretch...

Yes it is!
That only make it that much more of a stretch. Considering that people have seen them right next to each other and not pointed out the fact they look identical. Also people know what kind of stuff supes is capable of and no one starts to ask if he can be two places at once or use kryptonian teck to pull it off or something like that???

Total crap!

batdude123
Originally posted by Entity
Yes it is!
That only make it that much more of a stretch. Considering that people have seen them right next to each other and not pointed out the fact they look identical. Also people know what kind of stuff supes is capable of and no one starts to ask if he can be two places at once or use kryptonian teck to pull it off or something like that???

Total crap!

They don't expect weak, nerdy Clark Kent to be Superman especially when they've been spotted together... yes.

People DON'T know what Superman has at his fortress of SOLITUDE... so there goes your argument.

lando005
Yes it is!

Total crap! beer thumb up yes

inamilist
Yes it is!

Total crap!

clearly it is

but so is the idea that someone is faster than a locomotive and can leap tall buildings in a single bound

Superherovandal
seriously many things in comics are BS. Like how Ollie is a famous billionaire but most people don't know he's GA although they look so alike. and all he wears is a domino mask.

Entity
They don't expect weak, nerdy Clark Kent to be Superman especially when they've been spotted together... yes.

People DON'T know what Superman has at his fortress of SOLITUDE... so there goes your argument.

No that is exactly my argument. They would all see the similarity of Clark and Superman and just wonder out of their not knowing what he has in that fortress of his.

And I don't care how different they act from one another if anyone with ANY reasoning skills see me in my prime next to the same version of me acting like a total dork intentionally they would see it or question it at the very least.

Entity
Originally posted by Superherovandal
seriously many things in comics are BS. Like how Ollie is a famous billionaire but most people don't know he's GA although they look so alike. and all he wears is a domino mask.

Agreed but Clark doesn't even where that!

batdude123
No that is exactly my argument. They would all see the similarity of Clark and Superman and just wonder out of their not knowing what he has in that fortress of his.

And I don't care how different they act from one another if anyone with ANY reasoning skills see me in my prime next to the same version of me acting like a total dork intentionally they would see it or question it at the very least.

People don't know that Superman has a fortress of solitude.

A lot of people have questioned whether or not Clark is Superman.

And then people see them conversing with one another... so they stop questioning.

Seriously, it's just comics. Get your bitchmade hateration for Superman outta here.

inamilist
Agreed but Clark doesn't even where that!

really though

is the idea that people can't figure out that Clark is Superman the most ridiculous thing you have ever had to believe in a comic?

Entity
Originally posted by inamilist
clearly it is

but so is the idea that someone is faster than a locomotive and can leap tall buildings in a single bound

I know but, I can accept those things much easier that beliving the ENTIRE WORLD are morons.

Superherovandal
Okay. Comic worlds are morons. The general public are. Besides the super-geniuses. But if we had our gen public vs the comic ones. we'd have figured out who Supes was and Green Lantern and most heroes. I mean

King Kandy
Superman hypnotised people into thinking he was different from Clark.

Entity

And then people see them conversing with one another... so they stop questioning.

Seriously, it's just comics. Get your bitchmade hateration for Superman outta here.
Yea because no one has ever discovered it. Like say Bruce, Lex, Mongol, excedra....

How many and the one that have normally just dismiss it like total morons!

Gladly, just as soon as people like you get their perfection idol worshop for him out of here. ok?

inamilist
Okay. Comic worlds are morons. The general public are. Besides the super-geniuses. But if we had our gen public vs the comic ones. we'd have figured out who Supes was and Green Lantern and most heroes. I mean

hell ya

real world PIs would have gotten all their identities years ago

however, that would ruin the genre, so I'm down with ignorant masses

inamilist
Superman hypnotised people into thinking he was different from Clark.

lol, do you know the issue?

seems like a good read smile

King Kandy
no.

But I have a scan.

batdude123
Yea because no one has ever discovered it. Like say Bruce, Lex, Mongol, excedra....

Gladly, just as soon as people like you get their perfection idol worshop for him out of here. ok?

It's in the friggin' arctic. Not many people are going to discover it. The people you mentioned are people who associate with Superman all the time. No surprises there.

Who the **** cares? I never said anything about Superman being perfect. I think it's pathetic how people like you worry about his identity being a secret when it's just comics. It's for the damn plot of the books.

Draco69
Also it has nothing to do with the topic....

Superman saves a couple dozen people and flashes that perfect smile of his and New York City falls in love with the guy....

lando005
Okay. Comic worlds are morons. The general public are. Besides the super-geniuses. But if we had our gen public vs the comic ones. we'd have figured out who Supes was and Green Lantern and most heroes. I mean even some of the so call super geniuses havent figured it out

King Kandy
It's for the damn plot of the books.
Something implausible happens to advance the plot...

That's practicaly the defenition of PIS.

Entity

Very true!
Even the best at disguise and in mask or total body armor would be only a short matter of time until the identity was reviled to the public.

Just think CSI: Metroplis, Gotham, or 616!

Entity
It's in the friggin' arctic. Not many people are going to discover it. The people you mentioned are people who associate with Superman all the time. No surprises there.

Who the **** cares? I never said anything about Superman being perfect. I think it's pathetic how people like you worry about his identity being a secret when it's just comics. It's for the damn plot of the books.

Looks to me like you are gettin a little upset for it being just damn comic plots!

Entity
Something implausible happens to advance the plot...

That's practicaly the defenition of PIS.

As I have stated many times Clark's glasses are the greatest PIS in the history of comics.

Draco69
Again, Superman's glasses has nothing to do with the thread.

Superman appears in New York City. Does JJJ bring him down like he did Spider-Man?

No. Noone does good press like Superman.

Entity
Again, Superman's glasses has nothing to do with the thread.

Superman appears in New York City. Does JJJ bring him down like he did Spider-Man?

No. Noone does good press like Superman.

Because EVERYTHING is handed to him thats my point!

Draco69
Because EVERYTHING is handed to him thats my point!

Not true. He had to work for it. Nobody trusted him at first. Hell, they freaked out even more when they found he was an alien.

But after years of heroism and compassion towards the world, they grew to trust him.

Same thing will happen in New York City.

King Kandy
Not true. He had to work for it. Nobody trusted him at first. Hell, they freaked out even more when they found he was an alien.

But after years of heroism and compassion towards the world, they grew to trust him.

Same thing will happen in New York City.

Really? People liked Superboy.

Draco69
Actually, nobody liked him at all. That's why they kicked him out of Metropolis...and the next three cities after that.

Hell, it got so bad he was forced to protect a deadbeat city in Hawaii of all places.

King Kandy
Superboy was a godamn teen idle!

Draco69
To teenage girls. Other than that everyone else hated him. And teenaged girls began to hate him too when he dated several of them at the same time.

batdude123
Looks to me like you are gettin a little upset for it being just damn comic plots!

Why would I be upset?

lando005

Same thing will happen in New York City. spidy had ok press at first too until jj had his way i think superman would find jamerson persistant to say the least but he does have a few qualities that would make handleing jj a lot easier for him than ol web head

Supreme being

Gladly, just as soon as people like you get their perfection idol worshop for him out of here. OK?

roll eyes (sarcastic) Are you kidding if you read comics then you will know that 100% of the things that take place within them are bullshit, this is obviously a personal vendetta that you have against the character or just DC. Perhaps its the fact your looking for a bit of attention on here or just to get your name known but you have to stop this crap aimed at superman OK fair enough you don't like him thats your problem.

Supreme being
cool

Sabretooth

Originally posted by Supreme being
roll eyes (sarcastic) Are you kidding if you read comics then you will know that 100% of the things that take place within them are bullshit, this is obviously a personal vendetta that you have against the character or just DC. Perhaps its the fact your looking for a bit of attention on here or just to get your name known but you have to stop this crap aimed at superman OK fair enough you don't like him thats your problem.

Couldn't agree more. I think it's pretty hypocritical for people to complain about the believability of Superman's secret identity when there are so many heroes in the Marvel universe that neither wear masks nor go to any lengths to hide their identities that nobody ever complains about.

Look no further than the X-Men for examples:

Professor X: Bald guy in a wheelchair. Not uncommon, but not so common either.
Storm: Black chick with white hair. She'll fit right in any crowd of black chicks with white hair.
Rogue(not Rouge, that's a color): White streak? Everybody has one o' thems these days.
Psylocke: Purple hair. PURPLE! This isn't rocket science people...

With all the press the X-Men were getting during their "Mutant-Agenda" years, you would think the authorities would have been knocking on the X-Mansion's door daily. Someone must have noticed a black woman with white hair talking to an Asian woman with purple(!) hair while they were out shopping at the mall and called the police at least once. In the real world, people have been able to identify and report fugitives with far more average looks than PURPLE HAIR! The glasses thing? Forget the glasses thing! Why isn't anyone bitching about the PURPLE HAIR?!? Oh yeah, it's because Psylocke looks cool and it's trendy to like her.

Even heroes with masks have left enough clues about their secret identities to the point where someone would be able to make an pretty good educated guess. Mary Jane figured out who Spider-Man was with very little evidence and Silver St. Cloud figured ouy the identity of the master of keeping secrets: Batman just by studying his jaw.

Secret identities are nothing more than a plot device and should just be accepted by fans for what they are: an unrealistic way of keeping the hero in question from having to defend his loved ones from every bad guy who is holding a grudge against them. Eventually, the loved ones will all die out because the hero couldn't defend all of them all the time. Without loved ones there are no subplots and without subplots there are no good story-lines and no decent comic sales. See? now wouldn't reality sick?

And about JJJ ruining Superman's rep? He'll find it's harder than it looks to tarnish the boy scout's image considering most citizens consider him a loudmouth as it is and Superman will be doing feats and getting press on a worldwide scale. What is one newspaper editor going to do? Jonah doesn't stand a chance.

Draco69
Originally posted by Sabretooth
Couldn't agree more. I think it's pretty hypocritical for people to complain about the believability of Superman's secret identity when there are so many heroes in the Marvel universe that neither wear masks nor go to any lengths to hide their identities that nobody ever complains about.

Storm: Black chick with white hair. She'll fit right in any crowd of black chicks with white hair.
Rogue(not Rouge, that's a color): White streak? Everybody has one o' thems these days.

With all the press the X-Men were getting during their "Mutant-Agenda" years, you would think the authorities would have been knocking on the X-Mansion's door daily. Someone must have noticed a black woman with white hair talking to an Asian woman with purple(!) hair while they were out shopping at the mall and called the police at least once. In the real world, people have been able to identify and report fugitives with far more average looks than PURPLE HAIR! The glasses thing? Forget the glasses thing! Why isn't anyone bitching about the PURPLE HAIR?!? Oh yeah, it's because Psylocke looks cool and it's trendy to like her.

Even heroes with masks have left enough clues about their secret identities to the point where someone would be able to make an pretty good educated guess. Mary Jane figured out who Spider-Man was with very little evidence and Silver St. Cloud figured ouy the identity of the master of keeping secrets: Batman just by studying his jaw.

Secret identities are nothing more than a plot device and should just be accepted by fans for what they are: an unrealistic way of keeping the hero in question from having to defend his loved ones from every bad guy who is holding a grudge against them. Eventually, the loved ones will all die out because the hero couldn't defend all of them all the time. Without loved ones there are no subplots and without subplots there are no good story-lines and no decent comic sales. See? now wouldn't reality sick?

And about JJJ ruining Superman's rep? He'll find it's harder than it looks to tarnish the boy scout's image considering most citizens consider him a loudmouth as it is and Superman will be doing feats and getting press on a worldwide scale. What is one newspaper editor going to do? Jonah doesn't stand a chance.

This...is....so....beautiful....

Happy Dance

lando005

a bit touchy about people calling out supe's glasses i see

batdude123

No.... he's absolutely correct.

He nailed you and Entity on your bullshit.

lando005
No.... he's absolutely correct.

He nailed you and Entity on your bullshit. what bullshit are you talking about? you mean the whole xmen thing then no your wrong i dont agree with any hero who's suppose to have a secret id running around with their face exposed to the public he's right about the whole storm and psylock thing being bs too but neither one of them gets nearly the attention as big blue you know it i know it the xmen dont run around having press confrences and they dont exactly stick around for pictures and interviews for the most part they stick to themselves ad it doenst hurt that they have a few dozen telepaths working for them the alter peoples minds on how they see them not to mention some of the x men do wear tech devices to project holograms and such to also try and hid their ids. I'm not covering up for any of it and i feel the same about all the heroes that do the same thing but none of them are out in the public eye as much as superman and i'm pretty sure a lot of people working at the planet have noticed that he and clark look exactly alike and when you got so many uber geniuses in the dcu and you mean to tell me that none of them have enough common senses to atleats put 2 and 2 together when it comes onto superman, hell the could hand takein all the pictures of him he stands around and takes to create a composite image of him tap into an id database and run a check on all possible matches and simply keep tabs or test every one until they find him , but no they dont even do that he puts on a pair of glasses and a business suit and look superman disappered and lets not forget everyone's watching the latest threat to the city unfold clark is standing next to you and the next he's gone ad poof superman! out of nowhere, problems solved sups is gone and nerd boy shows up again and nobody questions where he was during that laps of time or why he's never around when a superpowered alien that is a perfect dead ringer for him is flying about, hell even when the xmen are around when trouble breaks out in broad daylight they dont pull that disappering act to get into costume they go into action as is because the people that associate with already know they are mutants and they dont stick around long enough to get taged by the press most of the time the reason y everyone complains about superman is with all the people who want him dead and dont know who he is the easiest way to find the answer for that question is right in front of their eyes but they dont use it there is a limit to how much people will believe even in comics and that is clearly past the limits. Has anyone even asked clark why he doesnt just get contacts? or go for eye correction? come on now how long do you expect people to go for the same lie?

batdude123
what bullshit are you talking about? you mean the whole xmen thing then no your wrong i dont agree with any hero who's suppose to have a secret id running around with their face exposed to the public he's right about the whole storm and psylock thing being bs too but neither one of them gets nearly the attention as big blue you know it i know it the xmen dont run around having press confrences and they dont exactly stick around for pictures and interviews for the most part they stick to themselves ad it doenst hurt that they have a few dozen telepaths working for them the alter peoples minds on how they see them not to mention some of the x men do wear tech devices to project holograms and such to also try and hid their ids. I'm not covering up for any of it and i feel the same about all the heroes that do the same thing but none of them are out in the public eye as much as superman and i'm pretty sure a lot of people working at the planet have noticed that he and clark look exactly alike and when you got so many uber geniuses in the dcu and you mean to tell me that none of them have enough common senses to atleats put 2 and 2 together when it comes onto superman, hell the could hand takein all the pictures of him he stands around and takes to create a composite image of him tap into an id database and run a check on all possible matches and simply keep tabs or test every one until they find him , but no they dont even do that he puts on a pair of glasses and a business suit and look superman disappered and lets not forget everyone's watching the latest threat to the city unfold clark is standing next to you and the next he's gone ad poof superman! out of nowhere, problems solved sups is gone and nerd boy shows up again and nobody questions where he was during that laps of time or why he's never around when a superpowered alien that is a perfect dead ringer for him is flying about, hell even when the xmen are around when trouble breaks out in broad daylight they dont pull that disappering act to get into costume they go into action as is because the people that associate with already know they are mutants and they dont stick around long enough to get taged by the press most of the time the reason y everyone complains about superman is with all the people who want him dead and dont know who he is the easiest way to find the answer for that question is right in front of their eyes but they dont use it there is a limit to how much people will believe even in comics and that is clearly past the limits. Has anyone even asked clark why he doesnt just get contacts? or go for eye correction? come on now how long do you expect people to go for the same lie?

laughing out loud

This applies to every single super hero who tries to keep a secret identity.

You're only bitching about Superman's identity because you hate him.

Oh, and I guess you missed this part of his post:

Secret identities are nothing more than a plot device and should just be accepted by fans for what they are: an unrealistic way of keeping the hero in question from having to defend his loved ones from every bad guy who is holding a grudge against them. Eventually, the loved ones will all die out because the hero couldn't defend all of them all the time. Without loved ones there are no subplots and without subplots there are no good story-lines and no decent comic sales. See? now wouldn't reality suck?

This vendetta you seem to have against Superman is rather sad. laughing out loud

lando005
laughing out loud

This applies to every single super hero who tries to keep a secret identity.

You're only bitching about Superman's identity because you hate him.

Oh, and I guess you missed this part of his post:

This vendetta you seem to have against Superman is rather sad. laughing out loud yes it applies to every hero who tries to keep a secret identity but you fail to acknowledge the obvious. superman sticks out the most when it comes on to this i'm just not willing to roll over and accept over the top bs like you are. It's not a vendetta at all i like superman but there are certain aspects about him that i wish dc would improve to make him a better character.

and no i didnt miss that part of the post dont get smug with me but a secret id would be a lot easier to keep when you actually hid your identity when you go off to do your heroics vice acting like a pair of glasses is going to fool the world

batdude123
yes it applies to every hero who tries to keep a secret identity but you fail to acknowledge the obvious. superman sticks out the most when it comes on to this i'm just not willing to roll over and accept over the top bs like you are. It's not a vendetta at all i like superman but there are certain aspects about him that i wish dc would improve to make him a better character.

and no i didnt miss that part of the post dont get smug with me but a secret id would be a lot easier to keep when you actually hid your identity when you go off to do your heroics vice acting like a pair of glasses is going to fool the world

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO MAKE SENSE!!!! That's what you're failing to realize. In the real world, people can't go around flying in the air at light speeds, shooting lasers out of their eyes, breathing ice, creating mental astral planes, stopping bullets with their chests, seeing things on a subatomic level, pulling planets, etc. etc. etc. THEIR JUST F*CKING COMICS!!!!

So for you to go around complaining about his secret identity being bullshit when nearly everything else in comics is bullshit, is a MAJOR fallacy to say the least. Arguing comic book semantics is like arguing "how many magical rabbits does it take to create a golden dump truck?"

Damn. roll eyes (sarcastic)

lando005
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO MAKE SENSE!!!! That's what you're failing to realize. In the real world, people can't go around flying in the air at light speeds, shooting lasers out of their eyes, breathing ice, creating mental astral planes, stopping bullets with their chests, seeing things on a subatomic level, pulling planets, etc. etc. etc. THEIR JUST F*CKING COMICS!!!!

So for you to go around complaining about his secret identity being bullshit when nearly everything else in comics is bullshit, is a MAJOR fallacy to say the least. Arguing comic book semantics is like arguing "how many magical rabbits does it take to create a golden dump truck?"

Damn. roll eyes (sarcastic) we all know none of it's real and doesnt make sense your aware of that from the moment you pick up a comic your mind is aware that it's a work of fiction and you get into a certain mindset BUT even within that relm of fiction there is a degree of reason that should be applied for example things can happen in a bugs bunny cartoon that arent possible in a transformers anime and you can accept that even though they are both works of fiction one is of a more serious minded aspect than the others. superman is a more serious minded comic and because of the MIND SET that it portrays something like a pair of glasses for a secret identity doesn't make sense and THAT's why people complain about it even for a work of fiction it doesn't add up hell the goof ball stuff in dragon ball z makes more sense than that. if your gonna do something like that then superman comics should be portrayed with the mindset of a loony toons cartoon cause that's the only time something like that would make sense

pr1983
when i saw 'PR wars' i almost shit myself... messed

and no, jj cant... superman is loved by almost everyone...

batdude123
we all know none of it's real and doesnt make sense your aware of that from the moment you pick up a comic your mind is aware that it's a work of fiction and you get into a certain mindset BUT even within that relm of fiction there is a degree of reason that should be applied for example things can happen in a bugs bunny cartoon that arent possible in a transformers anime and you can accept that even though they are both works of fiction one is of a more serious minded aspect than the others. superman is a more serious minded comic and because of the MIND SET that it portrays something like a pair of glasses for a secret identity doesn't make sense and THAT's why people complain about it even for a work of fiction it doesn't add up hell the goof ball stuff in dragon ball z makes more sense than that. if your gonna do something like that then superman comics should be portrayed with the mindset of a loony toons cartoon cause that's the only time something like that would make sense

No... see, once again you're arguing semantics. You can't logically complain about what goes on in a comic book. Why does Mjolnir shoot energy blasts? It's magical... which doesn't make sense.

People question Clark's identity all the time in the comic books. ALL... THE... TIME. But when things go down and people see them two places at once, or see them conversing with each other, they start thinking they're two seperate people.

Bottom line: It's just comics...

Soljer
"how many magical rabbits does it take to create a golden dump truck?"

Five.

EDIT: Unless one of the rabbits is named Bugs.

Then he's all it takes.

lando005
No... see, once again you're arguing semantics. You can't logically complain about what goes on in a comic book. Why does Mjolnir shoot energy blasts? It's magical... which doesn't make sense.

People question Clark's identity all the time in the comic books. ALL... THE... TIME. But when things go down and people see them two places at once, or see them conversing with each other, they start thinking they're two seperate people.

Bottom line: It's just comics... doesn't change the fact that it's just as poor an excuse as wolverine's immortal cause he wants to be

you may be ok with it but it just doesn't set well with me not when the comic is following a pattern

lando005
anyways back to the topic at hand superman vs jjj

Sabretooth

No. It pisses me off when people single out Superman and criticize him for being guilty of the exact same thing every other hero does just so they can try to fit in on these forums. If you don't like Superman fine, but quit harping on character flaws that several other heroes share without complaining about them too.

King Kandy
To teenage girls. Other than that everyone else hated him. And teenaged girls began to hate him too when he dated several of them at the same time.

Bull. Sh*t.

Have you ever read Superboy? He's liked by all.

He's a F*cking boy scout.

He's everyones hero.

lando005
No. It pisses me off when people single out Superman and criticize him for being guilty of the exact same thing every other hero does just so they can try to fit in on these forums. If you don't like Superman fine, but quit harping on character flaws that several other heroes share without complaining about them too. i never said the superman was the only one guilty of it others are to but he just sticks out the most for various reason. I think the same about all the characters that do the same thing

Sabretooth
i never said the superman was the only one guilty of it others are to but he just sticks out the most for various reason. I think the same about all the characters that do the same thing

Yeah, he sticks out the most because insulting him or Wolverine is the quickest way of making friends on this forum.

lando005
Yeah, he sticks out the most because insulting him or Wolverine is the quickest way of making friends on this forum. that's not true it's just there are some things about those two that just doesn't set well with a lot of people again it's the whole mindset thing

inamilist
Yeah, he sticks out the most because insulting him or Wolverine is the quickest way of making friends on this forum.

thats sad but true

Entity
First of all the x-men are a bad example for you because ALLOT of people know who they are. In fact, aren't their identities pretty much public knowledge? Most of them at least. But I do see what your saying about that being in all comics, and your right it is. However, not to the extent of Superman. He is by far the worst one for pull of incredibly unbelievable BS. Like lando said there is a certain mindset we are willing to accept. You think Spiderman, Ironman, or Black Panther could get away with not wearing any kind of mask as a hero and then put on glasses, comb their hair and act like a dork and get away with it? NO.

Bull. Sh*t.

Have you ever read Superboy? He's liked by all.

He's a F*cking boy scout.

He's everyones hero.

BOYSCOUT,,, BOYSCOUT have you ever read about Superboy he has kick the entire Titans team's asses. His own friends and he has daydream about killing his classmates. He is half Luther for god's sake.

Boyscout my ass!

inamilist
First of all the x-men are a bad example for you because ALLOT of people know who they are. In fact, aren't their identities pretty much public knowledge? Most of them at least. But I do see what your saying about that being in all comics, and your right it is. However, not to the extent of Superman. He is by far the worst one for pull of incredibly unbelievable BS. Like lando said there is a certain mindset we are willing to accept. If Spiderman, Ironman, or Black Panther could get away with not wearing any kind of mask as a hero and then put on glasses, comb their hair and act like a dork and get away with it? NO.

but like

I could name thousands of things that are wrong with most characters when you apply real world logic to them. Supes has gone to great lengths, more specifically DC writers have, to try and justify why people dont know who he is. Most issues with comics arent even dealt with at that level. When has any writer explained why trained military operatives can't shoot a moving target? They havent.

Why is this the issue that does it for you? It is far more logical that people believe that Superman is not Clark Kent than to believe that JJJ never was able to get someone to figure out Spidey's identity.

Bottom line, real life is in the real world.

(X men are a terrible example though, you are right)

that's not true it's just there are some things about those two that just doesn't set well with a lot of people again it's the whole mindset thing

the word you are looking for is "context" not "mindset" smile

King Kandy
Superman only can hide his secret identity through hypnotism.

Entity
Superman only can hide his secret identity through hypnotism.

But he is not a hypnotist. At least I have never seen him shown to be.
Of course thats always the answer to his problems, just give him a new ability! Just like T-vo

I really think T-vo and being immune to Kryptonite was what really put me over the top with him.

ExtraMision5555
Honestly, without spinning it too far out, it is a tad bit of a stretch of believeablity to think that superman in no way covers his face up, yet people couldent figure out who he was. But likewise, thier are plenty of rediculous identity things in comics. Supermans is just a pertty extreme case. But on topic

well
i dont even know what the topic is now

Sabretooth
that's not true it's just there are some things about those two that just doesn't set well with a lot of people again it's the whole mindset thing

Fair enough. But Superman and Wolverine are the same as every other hero and yet they are always the ones singled out and criticized by everybody. I think it's really sad that the same people who view Superman negatively hug the nuts of his many clones (Gladiator, Hyperion, Majestic, Sentry, Supreme, Prime) when they are essentially the same character and share many of the same character flaws. I also think it's hypocritical to dismiss everything Wolverine has done in the last 15 years (as stupid and unbelievable as they may be, they still happened and are accepted by Marvel as cannon) yet when another hero does something just as ridiculously over the top (Spawn beating GOD?!?!!) people just accept it. This is the "Comic Book 'Versus" Forum", not the "Insult The Characters I Don't Like Just To Impress My Friends Forum".

King Kandy
http://www.superdickery.com/images/stupor/side22li.jpg

ExtraMision5555
Fair enough. But Superman and Wolverine are the same as every other hero and yet they are always the ones singled out and criticized by everybody. I think it's really sad that the same people who view Superman negatively hug the nuts of his many clones (Gladiator, Hyperion, Majestic, Sentry, Supreme, Prime) when they are essentially the same character and share many of the same character flaws. I also think it's hypocritical to dismiss everything Wolverine has done in the last 15 years (as stupid and unbelievable as they may be, they still happened and are accepted by Marvel as cannon) yet when another hero does something just as ridiculously over the top (Spawn beating GOD?!?!!) people just accept it. This is the "Comic Book 'Versus" Forum", not the "Insult The Characters I Don't Like Just To Impress My Friends Forum".

You have a good point, and to a large extent, i agree. The only thing i would say in the opposition is the fact that alot of these feats are done under horrible writeing, and that in conjunction with questonable feats just makes it that much harder to believe. If its done in relatively good or even in rare cases, excillent writeing, most people tend to bypass it. So i think these two examples you used are moreso victims of poor writeing AND rediculous feats.

ESP wolverine, in his most recent, and very crummy immortality explination.

Superman lifting an island of kyrptonite at the end of superman retunrs was kinda wierd too

inamilist

problem solved smile

Entity

Sorry I thought you were speaking of Connor and, to be fair they were talking about him moving from city to city, living in Hawaii and being the teen heartthrob of girls everywhere. All things i know Clark never did.

But I do apologise!

Entity
Sorry I thought you were speaking of Connor and, to be fair they were talking about him moving from city to city, living in Hawaii and being the teen heartthrob of girls everywhere. All things i know Clark never did.

But I do apologise!

Sorry again, I just farther read the panels and saw it was the hypnotism that you were trying to show me rather than it being superman as a boy. I honestly never knew that that was actually a power of his. Is there anything he can't do?

lando005
Fair enough. But Superman and Wolverine are the same as every other hero and yet they are always the ones singled out and criticized by everybody. I think it's really sad that the same people who view Superman negatively hug the nuts of his many clones (Gladiator, Hyperion, Majestic, Sentry, Supreme, Prime) when they are essentially the same character and share many of the same character flaws. I also think it's hypocritical to dismiss everything Wolverine has done in the last 15 years (as stupid and unbelievable as they may be, they still happened and are accepted by Marvel as cannon) yet when another hero does something just as ridiculously over the top (Spawn beating GOD?!?!!) people just accept it. This is the "Comic Book 'Versus" Forum", not the "Insult The Characters I Don't Like Just To Impress My Friends Forum". you got a good point and i agree for the most part i just heard about this spawn beating god garbage and that to me even tops the wolverine's immortal cause he wants to be excuse marvel's using. To me things like that tell me that the writers are smoking way to much before they go to work or they just dont care anymore about the quality of their work. I think i'm gonna stop reading comics for a while after the civil war series is over.

inamilist
you got a good point and i agree for the most part i just heard about this spawn beating god garbage and that to me even tops the wolverine's immortal cause he wants to be excuse marvel's using. To me things like that tell me that the writers are smoking way to much before they go to work or they just dont care anymore about the quality of their work. I think i'm gonna stop reading comics for a while after the civil war series is over.

just stop reading the major titles

a lot of the side stuff and minis that get done are great because they arent cash cows or crossovers

lando005
back to the topic at hand

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.