Lightsaber Resistant Things

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
Here are some things that lightsabers cannot or have trouble cutting through:

Cortosis
Mandalorian Iron
Lightsaber blades
blaster bolts

Anything else that you guys know of?

yerssot
that weapon Vong has

Corran
The Amphistaffs

Dexx
and certain forcefields

Ushgarak
Such a stupid concept... why EU writers always see the need to trump things, I don't know.

Mujaffa
the green stones in JKII

Dexx
yes..i agree with ush...the first time i heard about cortosis was in JEdi knight 2. There are some "shadow troopers" that seemengly have a cortosis armor. Didn't seem saber resistant to me wink evil face

Ushgarak
What it is, really, is lazy writing.

In ANH and ROTJ, we have Death Stars, weapons that can destroy planets. In order to trump that threat, instead of using imagination, some writers created weapons that could destroy solar systems, or whatever.

By the same token, we have lightsabres, a weapon that can (within common sense limits) penetrate anything. And again, lazily, writers trump that by introducing 'lightsabre proof' stuff. It is very lazy indeed; luckily this sot of thinking does not infest the films.

Julie
Even in EpI a blast door holds up for a minute.... so I guess that could be considered resistent

Ushgarak
That was the common sense limit, wasn't it? Obviously an extremely thick object is going to take time.

Doesn't explain why QGJ's hands didn't burn, though...

Julie
ah true.....must be a jedi trait wink

yerssot
well, his blade barely got through the other end if it did that already

Julie
But you saw how hot the metal was becoming, how did QGJ escape that heat unscathed?

Fire
aaah the ways of the jedi unknown to us for many reasons

Dexx
we still have the forcefields ...in the finale battle with maul. Unpenetrable

yerssot
how did you get that name?

Dexx
malformations of language

Ushgarak
The forcefield seemed resistant rather than impenetrable, but again, that's only logical.

As a sabre has a physical presence it can penetrate a forcefield slowly like any physical object can, so literally spekaing it will never 'cut' through a forcefield at all. Though if you follow the logic that enough firepower will bring down a field then it might.

Fire
dunno but I like it that u can't cut through a forcefield with a sabre
think ush explained it nicely

Dexx
dunno..that forcefield seemed pretty solid. Don't think they could've pierced it...

Julie
they probably could...perhaps if they worked together, but they were too busy trying to kill each other

Dexx
Maul touched the forcefield with his blade...seemed solid to him.
Anyway..maybe it could be pierced...dunno

Corran
I don't think it could be pierced otherwise Maul would probably have persisted and tried to do so. It's possible that an energy sheild cannot be penetrated by the energe from a lightsabre. I would think that's another on the list along with the Sith made swords.

Fire
idd, but the force shields make sense
ppl wearing resistant armour doesn't

Dexx
these resistant things are stupid creations. People go wooow when they see lightsabers cut through anything and the go woooooow again when they see a resistant thing.

yerssot
well, it IS in TPM, well semi-resistant, I think

Dexx
well..the force fields fitt pretty well, but cortosis and other thinggies don't
They're tellin me that i can't cut throught the m*****fu**er if he's wearing corosis armors?

Ushgarak
There would have been no point Maul trying to force the sabre through! It would have been no possible threat and without being to move through himself it was no good at all!

And there is no sabre resistant mateiral in TPM!

Dexx is right; sabre resistant material is silly. And in JK:O it was just an excuse to give the Shadowtroopers shedloads of hit points- VERY lazy. Sabre combat should be one hit kill but hard to score a hit!

Dexx
i've actually take shadowtropers in one hit. Strong style, true big grin

Julie
one hit kills make for very hard games......but truer to "real life"...oh well

yerssot
fast style, not much power, but great to tease them cool

Julie
are u being evil face ?

yerssot
oh, I'm always choking/lightning those succers, just a bit, just give them a little pain... and then I chop their heads off with a 3 60

or those swamptroopers, with a fast, but soft fighting style some teasing... hitting their helmets and arms... then stop and switch to hard and chop their heads off...again

Ushgarak
It's strong style in that game that renders laughable Raven's claim that the sabre fighting is like that from the films. Nick Gillard would never have such dumb moves in.

Dexx
i mostly never use strong style...but it happened one and i got lucky. I usually use medium style...fast too...deppends.
I like to force pull their weapons and then just play around with them.
*thinks about kotr*
so very long... sad

Ushgarak
Strong style works fine in the game, and it is, after all, only a game. Only Raven should not make statements that are so blatantly untrue- the arcade style of fighting in the game is not remotely like the films.

Dexx
the fights in kotor will be much more supperior i think....
I liked these ones too.

Ushgarak
Well, if the fights in KOTOR are much like Neverwinter Nights they will look a bit slow; also, based on the Star Wars RPG system as it is, the damn things don't do enough damage.

Dexx
well..the fights look pretty kewl..not too slow...in the trailer

Captain REX
I haven't watched the trailer to KOTOR yet. Isn't it around the time of Exar Kun and all that stuff?

I like the duels in JO. While the "many hits to kill" rule is unrealistic (that's why you enter the realistic combat code), it's still fun.

I think a Reborn killed me in one hit in the JOD (Jedi Outcast Demo).

yerssot
never had any problems with those reborns, give me five at a time, and I can beat them with one hand wink

Dexx
one hand..that would either imply only movement, or only attacking.
The action in kotor happens 4000 years before the movies...something like that

yerssot
actually, with one hand I can move, attack and jump

Dexx
that just leaves the force powers....ya do that evil face

Julie
wow I feel lost...all this video game talk. I just play my x-box Obi wan game.....so much simpler

Dexx
nvr played jedi knight II: jedi outcast?

Julie
nope....I just never bothered to go out and spend the money to buy the game....it sounds nice though

Dexx
who said anithing abput paying? big grin ...

Ushgarak
There is no pride in admitting you are a thief, Dexx.

finti
right on

mah
and there's no point in being hypocritical

Dexx
i am no thief....well...so they say big grin

Ushgarak
What do you mean, Mah?

Julie
Yea what's being hypocritical got to do with being a thief?
confused

yerssot
*best tweety voice*
oh! what a hippotwit!

mah
ah, never mind

yerssot
but I do!
revealed my opinion is

Dexx
revealed? oh god...they've cought me......ruuun

yerssot
nobody will catch you dexx, no one cares

Fire
idd

JKBart
Any energy field - at least up until they're overloaded.

- Force fields,
- spaceship's energy shields,
- personal shields (which overload very quickly, though, because they obviously can't carry much of energy),
- beskar/mandalorian iron,
- yorik coral (the material from which yuuzhan ships are made),
- vonduun crab (animal from which yuuzhan armors are made),
- cortosis (obvious).

SunRazer
Valkorion's hands.

GM Yoda
Akk dog hide.

UCanShootMyNova
My dick.

MythLord
Yuuzhan Vong armour scales.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.