Enhanced Healing factor versus Enhanced Durability

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
Which one is better?

examples of healing factor: Wolverine, Hulk

examples of durability: Thing, Thor

Howard_Jones
Hulk more or less has both.

UniOmni
Same thing i was about to say.

I chose Hulk.

seaapple
In order to heal you have to be injured first. Durability keeps you from being injured in the first place. That's superior in my book!

But once injured, it's nice to be able to heal back up quickly.

Assuming it is powerful enough I would choose durability all the way. But then if I had a life threatening injury I would change my mind to healing factor!

Metalmanx
Durability is best, I feel.

Swanky-Tuna
I would go with durability. If there's anything I've learned from playing Battleships on Warcraft 3 it's that high regeneration can make you nigh invulnerable, but one big shot can outright kill you. With high durability, taking you down is a production. You can last longer, getting whatever job you need to do done without the hassle of regenerating your maimings.

Dinalfos
Regeneration > healing.

Anyway, Hulk has both, with the balance shifting towards regeneration during the late 80's.

I personally prefer durability, though.

don't shiv
Instantaneous healing is hardcore.

Murda Ma$e
Basically with healing you'd still feel the pain and still be alright, where with durability you would feel the pain and still be alright.

Obviously durability is better.

Bentley
Durability is better unless you somehow can use the damage you recieve against your oponent.

Alfheim
Originally posted by don't shiv
Instantaneous healing is hardcore.

Yes but it hurts and when your healing you could get ****ed up some more.

don't shiv
hmmm durability means u cannot get hurt
healing can't protect you from having your head severed in one stroke. durability can

Alfheim
Originally posted by don't shiv
hmmm durability means u cannot get hurt
healing can't protect you from having your head severed in one stroke. durability can

yeah.

Galan007
With an enhanced HF you can still be hurt or even K.O.'d, you just get better at a much faster rate.

With enhanced durability it becomes incredibly hard for you to sustain any sort of injuries, so its less likely for you to be harmed or K.O'd in the first place.

IMO durability is the better of the two.

jrodslam
Durability.

K3VIL
There are different rankings of healing factors and durability.

Enhanced Human: skin, bone, and muscle augmented to make it stronger and harder than human; impervious to injury to a certain extent

Enhanced Human Regenerative: skin, bone, and muscle retains human durability but body is able to heal near-lethal injuries by regenerating cells to a limited extent

You see, the EHR one grants you to stand up again, while the EH grants you to keep up while being damaged to a certain extent.In less powerful heroes, like Cap, who has peak human range durability or US Agent, who has EH one, they usually also as slightly faster than human healing abilities, but nothing near to the EHR, which is owned from being like Wolverine, Sabretooth, etc.

Metahuman: able to withstand extreme temperatures and pressures, and virtually all toxins, corrosives, punctures, and concussions without sustaining injury

The above ranking is the one the Thing is in, he withstood both ocean pressure and cosmic energy blasts.

Demi-godlike: able to withstand all injury short of a direct nuclear explosion

This is Thor ranking, despite he's depicted as metahuman durability owner, he has withstood things far worst than that level.

Demi-godlike Regenerative: able to heal all injury short of a direct nuclear explosion

The Hulk is in there, he can regenerate from most injuries if required and also withstood tremendous amounts of damage.

inamilist
ummm, im going to be the odd one out here and say healing

why?

do you think being pummeled to death is the only way to be taken down?

heling factors should work on disease, poison, intoxicants, pollutants and all that other crazy stuff

if its a wolverine or hulk esque healing factor, I'd take that anyday before i took durability.

Healing also lets you do the "playing possum" thing, whereas being almost impossible to take down is going to draw a lot of attention to you smile

capt it up
healing factor. since if some thing is able to get through a perosn of superhuman durability it can kill them how ever that same attack would not kill a person with a healing factor

Sparkz
If I had a choice I'd take the kind of durability Superman has I mean enhanced healing is cool and all but if you can't actualy be hurt or effected by toxins etc why risk being hurt and perhaps even dieing?

inamilist
clearly the extremes at both ends will be pretty much equal, basically immortality

like, if its superman durability vs basic healing, well duh

in general though, id think healing factor will give you a better chance of survival than durability.

Not to mention it can be used more creatively in combat. Look at how mr immortal beat the wizzard guy at the end of GLA

Sparkz
In the end it depends what levels we are talking about, if its godly durabilty and godly healing I'd take surability cause if one attack can get through the durability then it most likley can kill you before you have a chance to heal.

If its quick healing and average durabilty then healing because the durabilty isn't exactly reliable unlike the healing.

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by capt it up
healing factor. since if some thing is able to get through a perosn of superhuman durability it can kill them how ever that same attack would not kill a person with a healing factor

I don't think so. Anything capable of killing Superman is capable of killing Wolvie, or Hulk as well. Besides the obvious green weakness.

capt it up
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
I don't think so. Anything capable of killing Superman is capable of killing Wolvie, or Hulk as well. Besides the obvious green weakness.
no really true since logan immortal, but I see your point. I ment more of a thing level durbaility and such not god like superhuman who can't be hurt by any thing

ExtraMision5555
Wow, im supprised no one has really said healing.
Ide have to say healing. Incredible durability is awsome, but you are slowly being drained from 100% strength, whereas enhanced healing, you might be down to 50% for a moment, but your going to be right back at full mast withinn moments, and that in itself is a form of enhanced durability. Not to mention you will outlast your opponent on pure merit that they are also losing stamina trying to keep you down

Plus, regen makes you immune to injuries that would put someone with super durability at a disadvantage.

inamilist
Originally posted by ExtraMision5555
Wow, im supprised no one has really said healing.
Ide have to say healing. Incredible durability is awsome, but you are slowly being drained from 100% strength, whereas enhanced healing, you might be down to 50% for a moment, but your going to be right back at full mast withinn moments, and that in itself is a form of enhanced durability. Not to mention you will outlast your opponent on pure merit that they are also losing stamina trying to keep you down

Plus, regen makes you immune to injuries that would put someone with super durability at a disadvantage.

I didnt even think of that

you could eventually break the leg of someone with enhanced durability, compleatly making them useless, but someone with enhanced healing only need take cover long enough

ya, healing ftw!

Superboy Prime
how exactly would you eventually manage to break someone's leg when the person has enhanced durability?

Superboy Prime
Think of it this way...I grab a pipe and smash your leg. You don't have enhanced durability, but healing factor. You fall to your knees in pain and begin to heal...I keep smashing you with the same pipe over and over again until I leave you a bloody mess.

Now I hit you in leg with the pipe but this time you have enhanced durability. You chuckle and comment on how it is futile of me to try and take you out. I hit you again to no success. You grab the pipe and smash me senseless.

ExtraMision5555
Think of it this way...I grab a pipe and smash your leg. You don't have enhanced durability, but healing factor. You fall to your knees in pain and begin to heal...I keep smashing you with the same pipe over and over again until I leave you a bloody mess.

Now I hit you in leg with the pipe but this time you have enhanced durability. You chuckle and comment on how it is futile of me to try and take you out. I hit you again to no success. You grab the pipe and smash me senseless.

Not neccessairily. Say this pipe is made of some extra terrestiral metal that you (the enhanced person) can take hits from, but can only withstand so much as you only have enhanced durability. I hit you once, you chuckle and swing at me.

i dodge, and hit you again, in the same spot, you chuckle a bit, but your chuckle fades out into a frown.

I hit you again, and now your not laughing, and you feel your enhanced durability wearing down (my 100% analigy)

You get angry, and lunge at me foolishly and i slap you in the same spot once more, breakign your knee.

This is the problem of enhanced durablity in contrast to advanced healing.

Sure, someone with enhanced healing may be broken on the First strike, but at the same time, the healing factor will restore you as long as you are not "finished off" by the time it heals, putting you at a momentary disadvantage, where as with enhanced durablity, your not getting your broken limb back -- a permanant disadvantage.

inamilist
ok, but thats talking about degrees

being immune to blunt physical force (one especially strong enough to disable a normal man in one blow) is clearly better than moderatly improved healing

but, imagine if it was man-thing type healing, where whatever is hurt instantly repairs...

also, if you ONLY have advanced healing, you need to fight smarter than if you ONLY have advanced durability, so running at an armed opponent and letting them continue to smash you is a bad idea, not necessarily a fault of the powerset...

inamilist
how exactly would you eventually manage to break someone's leg when the person has enhanced durability?

durability and invulnerability are differant things

metal is more durable than wood (im generalizing), you can still break each

ExtraMision5555
Originally posted by inamilist
ok, but thats talking about degrees

being immune to blunt physical force (one especially strong enough to disable a normal man in one blow) is clearly better than moderatly improved healing

but, imagine if it was man-thing type healing, where whatever is hurt instantly repairs...

also, if you ONLY have advanced healing, you need to fight smarter than if you ONLY have advanced durability, so running at an armed opponent and letting them continue to smash you is a bad idea, not necessarily a fault of the powerset...

yes, and i should have noted that, In certian degrees the vairables can change

as a whole though, i still see Healing as being the better option, but you do definately have to fight alot smarter

inamilist
Originally posted by ExtraMision5555
yes, and i should have noted that, In certian degrees the vairables can change

as a whole though, i still see Healing as being the better option, but you do definately have to fight alot smarter

100% agree

Howard_Jones
Healing Factor is only good in a longer run. With enhanced durability, it's gonna be extremely hard to even be hurt or knocked out. With a healing factor, not so much. However, once that durability is penetrated, you're screwed.

srankmissingnin
The way people are talking it seems like I missed the memo where enhanced durability became invulnerability. sad

Sparkz
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
The way people are talking it seems like I missed the memo where enhanced durability became invulnerability. sad

It depends what level we are talking on though dosn't it.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Sparkz
It depends what level we are talking on though dosn't it.

Not really.

People with enhanced durability can still be hurt fighting people in their strength class. Imagine that Thanos punches both Wolverine and Thor as hard as he can in the throat, who gets up first?

Sparkz
Not really.

People with enhanced durability can still be hurt fighting people in their strength class. Imagine that Thanos punches both Wolverine and Thor as hard as he can in the throat, who gets up first?

I don't know could be either, after all Thor may be able to get straight back up while wolverine has to heal, or maybe Thor is down for a while and Wolverine recovers faster.

Howard_Jones
Not really.

Thor.

Maybe you should have said Colossus and Wolverine, or something like that.

capt it up
actaully true enchanced durability is not even able to stop piercing attacks. so enchanced healing is actaully better

Accel
This really depends on just how durable we're talking about here. Would I at least be bullet-proof or something?

Overall, I think a healing factor would prove handier in daily life. Enhanced durability only sounds appealing if it gauranteed me I could survive a car crash or something.

Evangel94
If had to choose between both equal levels of Durability and Healing. I'd rather not get hurt in the first place. Durability for me.

Howard_Jones
actaully true enchanced durability is not even able to stop piercing attacks. so enchanced healing is actaully better

Colossus' has. wink Also, there are many occasions where people with enhanced durability have stopped piercing attacks.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Howard_Jones
Thor.

Maybe you should have said Colossus and Wolverine, or something like that.

Na he'd drop like a ton of bricks. wink

Jyppe
I'd choose Durability. I wouldn't like the idea of carving bullets from my flesh..

capt it up
Colossus' has. wink Also, there are many occasions where people with enhanced durability have stopped piercing attacks.
colossus is not enchanced durability. he well with in the high superhuman durability class.

enchanced durability is listed as lowest level of superhuman durability. Thats the durability people like logan and spiderman have.

Tha C-Master
Durability, healing alone doesn't even reset broken or mislocated bones and joints. Healing factors get a bit overrated sometimes. It's like Starcraft. A upgraded BC had tons of armor, a zergling would get nailed in a shot or two. You can always get better later, but one good hit takes you out on healing alone.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Jyppe
I'd choose Durability. I wouldn't like the idea of carving bullets from my flesh..

Sounds like my Friday night. eek!

Wait... what? confused

Jyppe
Sounds like my Friday night. eek!

Wait... what? confused

Uh, You get shot in the stomach. The bullet stays there. The wound closes, but the bullet is still inside. You'll have to take a sharp object (Spoon) and then you'll have to carve it out. wink

Howard_Jones
Na he'd drop like a ton of bricks. wink

Most would getting hit by Thanos. Thor's already taken the brunt of his punishment on more than one occasion though, and kept getting up. That's why I said he's not the best example.

inamilist
Uh, You get shot in the stomach. The bullet stays there. The wound closes, but the bullet is still inside. You'll have to take a sharp object (Spoon) and then you'll have to carve it out. wink

or, you know, let a doctor do it...

lol, just because you have super healing doesnt mean you are some underground super assassin

srankmissingnin
Most would getting hit by Thanos. Thor's already taken the brunt of his punishment on more than one occasion though, and kept getting up. That's why I said he's not the best example.

That's why I specified that Thanos was punching him in the throat. I imagine that would mess up Thor. wink

srankmissingnin

I just use my prison shank.... It's half spoon, half stabbing utensil so it is good for scooping and stabbing! cool

Anyway Wolverine's healing factor is so fast that it heals around the slugs as the entire his body, robbing them of their momentum. The don't get more then a inch into his body... but he still needs to dig them out since the flesh heals over the entry wound almost instantly. Not a fun time.

capt it up
I just use my prison shank.... It's half spoon, half stabbing utensil so it is good for scooping and stabbing! cool

Anyway Wolverine's healing factor is so fast that it heals around the slugs as the entire his body, robbing them of their momentum. The don't get more then a inch into his body... but he still needs to dig them out since the flesh heals over the entry wound almost instantly. Not a fun time.
some times his healign factor shoots the bullets out of his body

Sparkz
So we are only talking about Spider-man level of durability?

Healing all the way then.

Swanky-Tuna
Regeneration would be cool if you're only getting hit once, I guess.

Sure, it seems great being able to regenerate from anything, but the disadvantages seem too great to me. If someone really wanted to, they could have people kneecap you 'round clock. Or if they somehow kept you constantly lit on fire. Or smash you in a press while you try to kill Sarah Conner, or to an unlikely extent, crushed by a big rock. You'd be at the mercy of every continuous form of damage.

Depending on the level of durability I get, I could be resistant to, immune to, or would just be outright killed by, thus spared from the hell of constantly experiencing, these attacks.

Imagine it getting all infected and getting calcified too and eventually your body filling with calcified shrapnal. Or if you have any kind of genetic fault and your healing factor sends it into a frenzy.

Jyppe
some times his healign factor shoots the bullets out of his body

Sometimes the bullets have gone through him.. A simple pistol was enough to pierce his flesh, take a richoeat from his rib and then bounce out.

Newjak
Why is Wolverine level Healing only being used here you know if your going to use low levels of durability then your going to have to use low levels of healing as well....

Basically if the level of durability is say Spider-Man and he is very strong against very normal levels of pain then the guy with the equivalent healing factor would only be able to heal most simple blunt force trauma and probably simple skin cuts in any real length of time but if they are shot in the head they wouldn't heal from that.

Now you keep going up the ladder for both obviously they both kind of go hand and hand. Think Deadpool level regeneration and Juggernaut durability both basically come out to the same end in that they aren't going down.

Now as to which I would rather have I guess it would be circumstantial on which power I would have. For instance say I'm fighting a superior foe out of my league kind of guy. I would rather have a Healing Factor in this scenario because your more likely to get hurt and thus a HF becomes more valuable.

Now if I am fighting someone on par with me or below I would much rather have Durability because they are less likely to be able to hurt you and thus the ability to withstand the attacks becomes much more valuable in the long run as people you can avoid injuries are generalyy the people that win.

K3VIL
Originally posted by inamilist
clearly the extremes at both ends will be pretty much equal, basically immortality

like, if its superman durability vs basic healing, well duh

in general though, id think healing factor will give you a better chance of survival than durability.

Not to mention it can be used more creatively in combat. Look at how mr immortal beat the wizzard guy at the end of GLA
Misconception.
Mr. Immortal is kinda cursed, he's supposed to be the last standing human, he does not heal back, he resurrect from death.That's why he can keep going and is still around.Very different from having a healing factor.A healing factor needs molecules to regenerate.
This makes me think, dropping Immortal in the sun or in a volcano would stuck him in a permanent death-life never ending cycle.

King Kandy
Durability.

batdude123
I'd go with the best of both worlds.... LOBO!!!

Newjak
I agree having both would be the best

Soujaboy
Thor has both...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.