Spiderman 3 Symbiote Origins(minor spoil)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sithsaber408
New interview with Tobey Maguire:

At 27, he debuted Peter Parker, the soulful linchpin of a huge franchise. If the first installment was a classic creation myth, and the second, the "Ordinary People" of superhero movies, the third examines the burden and intoxicating allure of power. Yup, deciphering Maguire's words, there appears to be an existential battle brewing for Spidey's soul. "There's a lot going on in the movie, but part of it is kind of battling my dark side. Peter Parker's own kind of character flaws manifesting into …. " Maguire begins stumbling about, trying not to give too much away.

"Basically, there's the goo, right? The symbiont which has, like, a dark energy, like the goo from the thing that creates venom." To someone not totally versant in the Spider-Man mythology, Maguire sounds vaguely demented. He realizes it, laughs and backs up. He's not referring to venom, but Venom, "a very, very popular character from the later Spider-Man comics. He has the same kind of attributes that Spider-Man has, but he's just stronger, faster and more vicious than Spider-Man. And it comes from this goo that comes from outer space, so first the goo comes and gets hold of me."

According to Maguire, the "Spider-Man 3" story arc was laid out by Sam Raimi and his brother Ivan, and written by 76-year-old Academy Award winning screenwriter Alvin Sargent. At some point, Maguire was consulted. He's known for being opinionated about his characters, and does sound proprietary about his more famous alter ego.

"It's important to me to have continuity of character," he says. "To not see the same movie regurgitated over again, because I would go crazy."

Even within a genre, Maguire wants to make sure to expand his character as far as he can go. He pressed the filmmakers to reinvent the wheel one more time. "I can't play that same scene," he says. "It's just uninteresting. I don't want to see it; I don't want to be in it."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/celebrity/la-ca-tobey10dec10,0,3700225.story?page=2&coll=la-celebrity-news

sithsaber408
*sorry, my boss walked in*

So we see from his interview that (minor spoiler) the symbiote is indeed from outer space, so probably an alien and not created in some bio-tech lab.

Also, for the ongoing discussion about further Spiderman films, I think that Tobey's remarks at the end of the interview are pretty telling.

Unless they can come up with some brand new dope-ness that stretches his acting and isn't repetitive, he won't want to do it.

Plus, he's already 27 and would be like 30 or 31 by the time a Spiderman 4 comes out.

Don't see it happening.

the_satan32
Well isn't Spidey in his 30's in the comics now?

Dan-El
Tom Welling is in his early 30s, married with a kid, and he still plays a 19 or 20 year old Clark Kent on Smallville, so who knows what's going to happen.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Dan-El
Tom Welling is in his early 30s, married with a kid, and he still plays a 19 or 20 year old Clark Kent on Smallville, so who knows what's going to happen.

Yeah but Toby looks much younger then Tom.

BlackC@
Actually, Tobey Maguire already IS 31.

Symbiote will probably come from an asteriod.

Gannon
I'm hoping the symbiote comes from Jameson's crashed shuttle, like the animated series. The astroid is just to random.

Nice find but their wasnt really any spoilers.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Gannon
I'm hoping the symbiote comes from Jameson's crashed shuttle, like the animated series. The astroid is just to random.

Nice find but their wasnt really any spoilers.

That would be a stretch. They never really talked about his suit in part 2.

Gannon
Huh? What does not talking about the suit in 2 have to do with anything? The suit is in 3.

They already introduced John Jameson. The shuttle story would be perfect.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Gannon
Huh? What does not talking about the suit in 2 have to do with anything? The suit is in 3.

They already introduced John Jameson. The shuttle story would be perfect.

It would of been nice if they said something about it in part 2, but I could still see it being done.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Greetings, I believe that the black alien symbiote will come from Jogn Jameson's spaceship.

Black Adam
Originally posted by the_satan32
Well isn't Spidey in his 30's in the comics now?

still not 30.. thought he is approaching it. I think he's around 28.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Black Adam
still not 30.. thought he is approaching it. I think he's around 28.

Yup.

Roughly 10-13 years have passed in the Marvel universe since the Fantastic Four were struck by the cosmic rays and gained their powers, so that would make Spidey somewhere around 25-28 years old.

However, in the second movie, (correct me if I'm wrong), wasn't Parker supposed to be only like, 21? Toby being 21 is stretching it a tad, if you ask me.

BlackC@
In Spider-Man 3, Peter is only around 21.

In the first movie, he was 18, the second was two years later so he was 20. Not a huge amount of time has passed since the second so he's around 21.

The shuttle story SUCKS. Having John bring it back will NOT happen. Thank God! It's such a stretch and so unbelievable. Daniel Gillies isn't even in Spider-Man 3.

Gannon
Originally posted by BlackC@
The shuttle story SUCKS. Having John bring it back will NOT happen. Thank God! It's such a stretch and so unbelievable. Daniel Gillies isn't even in Spider-Man 3.
And the symbiote coming in on an astroid is believable? Its random. Thats the only way i can discribe it.

The shuttle story actually fits into the plot with John Jameson already introduced and all.

kiekan
Aren't the shuttle story and the asteroid stories one in the same? If they're using the origin from the 90's animated series, then yes, both stories are the same.

If you remember, in the animated series, John Jameson first descovers the Symbiote on an asteroid while in space. It then follows him back onto the shuttle, which later crashes, allowing the Symbiote to come in contact with Spider-man after he rescues the people aboard.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by kiekan
Aren't the shuttle story and the asteroid stories one in the same? If they're using the origin from the 90's animated series, then yes, both stories are the same.

If you remember, in the animated series, John Jameson first descovers the Symbiote on an asteroid while in space. It then follows him back onto the shuttle, which later crashes, allowing the Symbiote to come in contact with Spider-man after he rescues the people aboard.

Yes I rememeber that and it was a good idea. It looks like they will use the same idea in part 3, since the don't wanna bring up the secret war.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.