The recent orgasm of shooters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ricodrayz
is it just me or alot of Shooters came out and are coming out soon and later.....Sick thing is that most of them are all good but seriously I am getting Shooterphobic now. I am like sick of shooters now. Well FPS with no story at all lol. The same military or alien creatures attacking the earth. How long is it before a game like Mario with a Gun come sout(Laugh now but look at poor poor poor Shadow the Hedgehog)

Smasandian
They'res always shooters coming out....I dont know what your talking about.

And the reason they're good games is because its near Christmas and most major AAA games come out this time of the year.

I think they're is more RPG's coming out than shooters anyways.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Smasandian

And the reason they're good games is because its near Christmas and most major AAA games come out this time of the year.

thumb up

Ricodrayz

I think they're is more RPG's coming out than shooters anyways. You hurt my feelings sad

lol Well half the Rpgs coming out suck so you don't get tired of it as easy when a good one comes out. Unlike you get into a good shooter then 10 others gets tiring, need a break.

BackFire
Console Shooters are this generations console fighting game. They're hugely popular right now, as fighting games were a decade ago. Eventually the popularity will drop a bit, and a new genre will emerge as the popular one, and so on.

I think the next hugely popular console style game will be, get this, RTS games.

I know, I know - "These aren't usually console style games". That's exactly why I think in about 5 or 6 years they'll be huge, they're something new for many console gamers who have never played much on a PC. Just like Fighting games were primarily for Arcades before they took off on consoles, and shooters were primarily PC based before they took off, console gamers will be hungry for something new, and RTS games will be just that.

Smasandian
Maybe, I can see it. Halo Wars and the recent Battle For Middle Earth are showing that console's can do RTS's, but as the shooters, nothing will beat the RTS for computers.

The only problem I see is that the games might have alot less depth than RTS's on computer because console gamers seem to not like hardcore strategy games that computers gamers love. Thats mainly the reason people still play computers.

Howard_Jones
Every company has the Halo fever. Halo's not the best game out there, but it's the most popular FPS. Everyone wants to duplicate it.

Smasandian
Yeah, its not like shooters havent been around since Halo came out.

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by Howard_Jones
Every company has the Halo fever. Halo's not the best game out there, but it's the most popular FPS. Everyone wants to duplicate it.

Fair enough. I agree.

Emperor Ashtar
The threads title is decieving.

Anyway, I think the best shooters are WW2 shooters, nut that's just me.

Superboy Prime
Call of Duty 2/3 are awesome games. Currently playing COD3 on hard.

Bicnarok

dirkdirden
You are playing too much xbox switch to a new system and you'll have better options. The ps2 has a very large handfull of platformers, RPG, Adventure, Puzzle, and any other game you can think of.

But right now in my house I'm rocking the good old board games......Clue rules.

Pulse2
Halo is awesome, but I think shooters like Quake and Unreal makes FPS what it is and was, Halo is just something that is a short craze, but Unreal and Quake are like the Daddys of FPS, I think Halo mainly gets its recognition because it was the game that made the Xbox, other then that, its more or less like any other shooter, just with unique features that differenciate it.

I've been playing FPS games for years, and still can't get used to playing console versions, I hate analogue stick controlling FPS games, they drive me more mad then anything, I think motion sensitivity will be a good adition, but until we see a game that really uses this awesome feature, mouse and keyboard rule for FPS, no doubt, that goes for games like C&C and Age of the empires aka RTS, analogue sux I tell you! Its extremely annoying to have to target things with the bloody analogue stick or d-pad. Motion again makes it much easier to fly across a map and target an enemy, but again, until then, mouse rules supreme.

Where analogue comes in useful is racing games etc, what I can't understand however is why the PS3 needs all three sets messed A d-pad, two analogue sticks and motion sensitivity, with the adition of motion sensitivity, Sony should have scrapped the d-pad and introduced four more unique buttons. These unique buttons could have been used as a d-pad if really needed. Meh, its Sony, what do you expect -_-

I must admit however, I think effort into FPS game making is getting weaker, most FPS games that release these days have little or nothing to diffrenciate themselves from other shooters. The same bland enemies, Nazis, Aliens or Zombies, never anything else, and not being offensive or anything, but the heros are always American, always, always, always, what does the rest of the world do when America saves us once again?

When will we have a Japanese or Russian or English or Scottish or Indian hero, why does it always have to be America to save our souls, its getting boring, another reason why Japanese don't bother with FPS games, and they are very much justified. Btw, when was the last time we had a robot army as the enemy, or an enemy in a game that simply can't be beaten so that when ever you see it you should run from it or go head to head with a powerful weapon to get a unique status for killing the almost imortal beast. Just a few theories, sorry for typing so much.

MadMel

yes

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by BackFire
Console Shooters are this generations console fighting game. They're hugely popular right now, as fighting games were a decade ago. Eventually the popularity will drop a bit, and a new genre will emerge as the popular one, and so on.

I think the next hugely popular console style game will be, get this, RTS games.

I know, I know - "These aren't usually console style games". That's exactly why I think in about 5 or 6 years they'll be huge, they're something new for many console gamers who have never played much on a PC. Just like Fighting games were primarily for Arcades before they took off on consoles, and shooters were primarily PC based before they took off, console gamers will be hungry for something new, and RTS games will be just that.

I actually think this is a possibility, especially on the Wii. Imagine some awesome RTS games (past games) and new ones on the Wii? Its actually the perfect console for RTS games, even more perfect then it is for FPS (once they get it right). The Wiimote could perfectly replicate a mouse pointer on a PC for RTS games, as it is in no way different how it would work (unlike Wii FPS which don't/ cant exactly work like PC FPS work) The Wii would be identical to PC's in regards to precision pointing etc. The only lacking part is a keyboard. Either way the Wii could potentially be the first true birth of RTS games on consoles, and I'm all for it! Bring on the Online RTS games!

Pulse2
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I actually think this is a possibility, especially on the Wii. Imagine some awesome RTS games (past games) and new ones on the Wii? Its actually the perfect console for RTS games, even more perfect then it is for FPS (once they get it right). The Wiimote could perfectly replicate a mouse pointer on a PC for RTS games, as it is in no way different how it would work (unlike Wii FPS which don't/ cant exactly work like PC FPS work) The Wii would be identical to PC's in regards to precision pointing etc. The only lacking part is a keyboard. Either way the Wii could potentially be the first true birth of RTS games on consoles, and I'm all for it! Bring on the Online RTS games! Exactly my point earlier smile Its just up to devs to create those games, the ideas are there, the innovation is there, the posibilities are there, so what is stopping them? Nothing to be honest, the same way there could be games as good if not better then Halo and Halo 2 was on original Xbox and also have superb RTS games with the ease od simply swinging your Wii controller and targeting enemies or selecting your troops.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Pulse2
Halo is awesome, but I think shooters like Quake and Unreal makes FPS what it is and was, Halo is just something that is a short craze, but Unreal and Quake are like the Daddys of FPS, I think Halo mainly gets its recognition because it was the game that made the Xbox, other then that, its more or less like any other shooter, just with unique features that differenciate it.

I've been playing FPS games for years, and still can't get used to playing console versions, I hate analogue stick controlling FPS games, they drive me more mad then anything, I think motion sensitivity will be a good adition, but until we see a game that really uses this awesome feature, mouse and keyboard rule for FPS, no doubt, that goes for games like C&C and Age of the empires aka RTS, analogue sux I tell you! Its extremely annoying to have to target things with the bloody analogue stick or d-pad. Motion again makes it much easier to fly across a map and target an enemy, but again, until then, mouse rules supreme.

Where analogue comes in useful is racing games etc, what I can't understand however is why the PS3 needs all three sets messed A d-pad, two analogue sticks and motion sensitivity, with the adition of motion sensitivity, Sony should have scrapped the d-pad and introduced four more unique buttons. These unique buttons could have been used as a d-pad if really needed. Meh, its Sony, what do you expect -_-

I must admit however, I think effort into FPS game making is getting weaker, most FPS games that release these days have little or nothing to diffrenciate themselves from other shooters. The same bland enemies, Nazis, Aliens or Zombies, never anything else, and not being offensive or anything, but the heros are always American, always, always, always, what does the rest of the world do when America saves us once again?

When will we have a Japanese or Russian or English or Scottish or Indian hero, why does it always have to be America to save our souls, its getting boring, another reason why Japanese don't bother with FPS games, and they are very much justified. Btw, when was the last time we had a robot army as the enemy, or an enemy in a game that simply can't be beaten so that when ever you see it you should run from it or go head to head with a powerful weapon to get a unique status for killing the almost imortal beast. Just a few theories, sorry for typing so much.

Because it's usually America who makes FPS. You cant doubt them for making the character American, when they're American themselves. Also, its a pure business sense, I would think alot of people wouldnt want to buy a game where they play as an German, or something.

It's extremely hard to create enemies in games that are not alien, Nazi's, robots or terrorists. What else could you use? It wouldnt be possible to allow the character to have regular joes being the enemies.

Also, Japenese dont bother with FPS because well because its about thier culture. It's rare to see a game from Japan that is incredibly violent. It's not what they are. North Americans on the other hand like alot more violence. It has nothing to do with the genre being boring but more on culture.

You can say every genre has some sort of repetive gameplay elements.

Also, I would thinkt that Half-Life and Doom (maybe Quake) have made FPS what they are today. You could say Unreal Tournment just for MP.

Pulse2
Because it's usually America who makes FPS. You cant doubt them for making the character American, when they're American themselves. Also, its a pure business sense, I would think alot of people wouldnt want to buy a game where they play as an German, or something.

It's extremely hard to create enemies in games that are not alien, Nazi's, robots or terrorists. What else could you use? It wouldnt be possible to allow the character to have regular joes being the enemies.

Also, Japenese dont bother with FPS because well because its about thier culture. It's rare to see a game from Japan that is incredibly violent. It's not what they are. North Americans on the other hand like alot more violence. It has nothing to do with the genre being boring but more on culture.

You can say every genre has some sort of repetive gameplay elements.

Also, I would thinkt that Half-Life and Doom (maybe Quake) have made FPS what they are today. You could say Unreal Tournment just for MP. I agree with the American making FPS point, I just sometimes notice that the FPS games are sort of an excuse to recreate those action packed blockbuster hollywood movies, in fact shooters are the closest genre in my opinion to hollywood movies smile

As for the choice of enemies, I spose you have a point, but I sometimes feel sorry for other countries and would much prefer to face off against aliens then always shooting at Russians, Germans or other people around the world, its not racist to an extent, but could be seen as quite offensive, take Socom for example, the enemy look rather similar to Iraqis even though they are not, and the fact they are terrorists makes the matter worse, its slightly obvious what they are getting at with these sorts of games, but we simply disregard it.

Every genre does have its repetitive elements, but as there are some awesome FPS games releasing, there are also some very cliche ones as well, its almost as if the developers make the game first and stick in a pathetic plot afterwards.

And the Japanese not being violent comment made me laugh, have a look at Japanese movies, what would be banned in America for being too violent or too gory is allowed over there, I know as I have several Japanese movies. Battle Royale is one example. So I don't think violence is the issue, I just think they don't like FPS as FPS tends to be rather an American thing, they prefer RPGs and colourful games such as Pokemon and Locoroco. I guess FPS is simply not a Genre they are interested in, nothing against the 360, but that is probably the explaination for why the 360 wasn't performing as well, I say wasn't because the addition of Blue dragon has shown that it can appeal to the Japanese if Microsoft wants it to, it just needs more games like Blue Dragon, because BD can't draw the Japanese in alone.

Smasandian
The thing is thats what people like playing in FPS. Cinematic experiences. Every great FPS that has SP in it, usually references movies.

It's sad that some racism exists in games especially involving terrorists, but it just the way it is.

Japanese like violent movies, but they dont like violent videogames, or violence in everyday life. Japan is starting to ban violent videogames like Dead Rising by using a new rating called " Z " which doesnt allow companies to advertise violent videogames. Also, most big name games that are in the market in Japan are hardly violent at all. They're is a few but not even close to the amount that North America has.

Pulse2
Japanese like more colourful games with storylines they can follow, however, I still wouldn't say they have a dislike for violent video games, however, because the Japanese friends I have dislike FPS games but enjoy playing DMC messed I guess its just what is portrayed in that specific genre they have a distaste for, if you go to Japan, you'd realise that they can be just as violent if not more violent then even us Europeans, I have only been once a year ago and spent 4 weeks, it gives you a lot of time to really experience the place for what it is.

Its busy just the way you see it, but although Japanese can be very pleasent, they also have a violent side smile I think the new Z rating doesn't come as a suprize at all, the laws on violence are a bit laid back over there, so this is not a suprize at all smile

This is why I have a dislike for those who make blank comments about the Japanese when Xbox and Japan come up in a topic or covosation, because you cannot understand the Japanese fully unless you know Japanese people or have been there, but then its like anywhere and anything or anyone.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.