General Grievous Discussion!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General G
Alright, we all know Grievous rules... so discuss him!

PVS
NO! eek!

aj_vader
Alright We All Know Vader Rules!

vintageSW77
Whos Greivous?
oh yeah that guy who was in that movie for about 10 mins

anyone know just how long some of the SW characters are onscreen
is there a list?

Alliance
GRIEVOUS IS A WHORE Happy Dance

END OF DISCUSSION w00t

Ok Queeq, you can close this now.

General G
no

You all suck! Dont't do it queeq!!!

Tangible God
Why would queeq suck Grievous?

Alliance
I'd just blast his @ss.

Tangible God
Who wouldn't?

aldisyoyo
...greivous...

aldisyoyo
Originally posted by aldisyoyo
...grievous...

Marxman
grievous is a scrub

aldisyoyo
you are correct

Captain REX
Grievous was a wimpy villain and all too easily pwnd by Kenobi. happy

aldisyoyo
wow! 2 for 2...

Marxman
The only reason he was able to put up a fight was because he was a cyborg with the ability to spin his limbs 360 degrees - thumbdown
No Force abilities - thumbdown
Didn't make his own lightsaber, just stole them - thumbdown
He was SO STUPID that he didn't put more protection around his organs, just two metal plates that opened like doors - thumbdown
He was BUTT UGLY - paperbag3

Kongu Dude
Grievous is the coolest Starwars character, and has an awesome voice. eek!

queeq
Originally posted by Tangible God
Why would queeq suck Grievous?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

General G
Originally posted by Kongu Dude
Grievous is the coolest Starwars character, and has an awesome voice. eek!

raver Damn straight

Everyone else is just too blind to realise how cool he really is

PVS
ZOMG HE HAD FOUR ARMZ!!!!!1

...and?

he sucked. all he was, was a gimmick. he was a marketing gimmick, and even pertaining to the plot he was a gimmick. he had no force capability, rendering him unable to take on a jedi in a one on one lightsaber battle. thats why he needed 4 arms: gimmick. the theory was that seeing four swiveling lightsabers would make a jedi freeze like a deer in headlights. and it may have worked for a while until kenobi proved what a punk b!tch he really was. grievous, in fact, gets the coveted 'punk b!tch of the entire saga' award, surpassing boba fett, kit fisto, and even jarjar binks. GO GRIEVOUS!!!

Alliance
He was a SEP marketing ploy.

And a dumb@ss.

General G
Originally posted by PVS
ZOMG HE HAD FOUR ARMZ!!!!!1

...and?

he sucked. all he was, was a gimmick. he was a marketing gimmick, and even pertaining to the plot he was a gimmick. he had no force capability, rendering him unable to take on a jedi in a one on one lightsaber battle. thats why he needed 4 arms: gimmick. the theory was that seeing four swiveling lightsabers would make a jedi freeze like a deer in headlights. and it may have worked for a while until kenobi proved what a punk b!tch he really was. grievous, in fact, gets the coveted 'punk b!tch of the entire saga' award, surpassing boba fett, kit fisto, and even jarjar binks. GO GRIEVOUS!!!

So that explains how he was able to take on so many at once in the Clone Wars series, right? Because he was using all four of his arms, he used two and you can't get mad at him for that, lots of jedi use two. Of course he couldnt use the force, he was mostly droid, and apparently he can take on more than one jedi at a time so we all saw during the series.

Kongu Dude
Originally posted by General G
raver Damn straight

Everyone else is just too blind to realise how cool he really is
Good point. raver

When I first saw him, I thought he looked cool, strong and powerful. cool

And he is. raver

PVS
So that explains how he was able to take on so many at once in the Clone Wars series, right? Because he was using all four of his arms, he used two and you can't get mad at him for that, lots of jedi use two. Of course he couldnt use the force, he was mostly droid, and apparently he can take on more than one jedi at a time so we all saw during the series.

not canon. in GG's cinema screen time he proved himself to be nothing more than a coward, and idiot, and a punk b!tch. EU 'evidence' is irrelevant and has no place here. all evidence in the film proves me right.

General G
I have seen in multiple threads that the Clone Wars series is considered canon.

And how did he look like a coward? He was smart, his ship was going down and was surrounded by a Jedi Master and the "Chosen One," yeah, I wouldn't stay and take them on either. He left the ship because it was going down, if he stayed, he either would have been taken prisoner by the Jedi and the Republic or had died. So, he did the intelligent move.

When he was fighting OB1, he lost two of his hands and was still going on the offensive. Only did he leave was when the clone army showed up and that would have been stupid to stay and fight OB1 while he had all those clones backing him up.

All of his moves were of intelligence, not cowardice or idiotic, and I still don't see where you get the "punk b!tch" from.

Alliance
The Clone Wars is not considerd cannon. We talk about it a lot, because well, its fairly official, but you're not going to win this.

Running away is not intelligent. If he's so great, he'd be able to pwn everyone in 5 seconds. He had no problem all being in your face when he killed Jedi, but as soon as he senses trouble, he runs. He fled without any respect for anyone but himself.

General G
Originally posted by Alliance
The Clone Wars is not considerd cannon. We talk about it a lot, because well, its fairly official, but you're not going to win this.

Running away is not intelligent. If he's so great, he'd be able to pwn everyone in 5 seconds. He had no problem all being in your face when he killed Jedi, but as soon as he senses trouble, he runs. He fled without any respect for anyone but himself.

Well, I guess noone in the entire saga or the entire star wars universe is so great becasue none of them can pwn everyone. Fleeing is NOT stupid, he lives to fight another day and do more than he could have were he to stay and die like a fool.

Rampant ox
Greivous is a great character - by no means my favourite (cough*CountDooku*cough), but awesome to watch none the less. I dont find him cowardly at all by fleeing. Knowing when one is beaten is usually the difference between life and death, so therefore fleeing makes GG far more intelligent than someone that would pointlessly stay and fight to the death. However I think Greivous needed some more character development in the movies.

Gideon
General Grievous is, actually, one of my favorite characters in fiction. It is mainly due to his performance in Labyrinth of Evil and in the RotS novelization itself.

I do agree that his entire presence in the movie was a bit absurd. It is my understanding that it was to introduce the strongest parallel to what Vader would become - a brilliant tactition, a cyborg, the supreme leader of a massive military and a complete pawn. Lucas's intent for the character seems to have varied from the Making of Star Wars to the time of the RotS commentary (go figure). Initially, he wanted a character that the audience and the other characters would fear, trying to rebuild that sense of foreboding that people got off of Vader. Then, as of the RotS commentary, he ended up with a character ruled by fear - instead of ruling through it.

A lot of authors depict their villains as being cowards. Grievous is but one example. Sidious is depicted as such from time to time. Hell, even outside of Star Wars, characters that are meant to be intimidating are complete cowards - like Voldemort from Harry Potter. I've never really understood that whole philosophy. If you're antagonist is ruled by fear and is a total coward, then there's no way in hell that he's going to perform some daring plot or oppose the hero - especially in the case of people like Grievous and Voldemort - who aren't authorities or rulers of the galaxy, but rather have the same modus operandi of a gangster or a criminal.

I hate to see villains who are cowards. Perhaps concerned with self preservation, but flat-out cowardly? It is a pathetic plot device and character flaw, in my opinion.

Anyways, yeah. Grievous kicked ass in LoE. But his performance in the movie was absurd. As was killing off Dooku in the first half hour. If he was gonna go out like that, why'd we bring him in the first place?

Sexyback
I actually thought the whole coward thing worked well for Grievous, it got him out of some pretty sneaky situations, and really added a lot of depth to the sneaky aspects of his character.

And yeah, whoever wrote LoE was some Grievous fanboy, the author completely overpowers him. Kit Fisto too.

Gideon
See, now I disagree. But, I disagree due to the intent of the character. Grievous was supposed to be "the new Vader" in terms of the feelings he inspired and his general attitude. Say what you will, but Vader wasn't a coward. Grievous was probably scared of mice. That was what was frustrating about him.

I don't think someone so cowardly would be at the helm of the Separatist fleet - an organization combating an ancient Republic with 10,000 Jedi on their side.

Again, I disagree. The best Grievous did was fight Mace for a few seconds. He did pretty well, but, again, it was only for a few seconds - and Mace outmaneuvered him.

Kit manhandled two Magnaguards was probably to testify to his skill as being "one of the Temple's greatest swordsmen", but yeah... I can see where your assertion came along, considering how Obi-Wan and Anakin had a little difficulty with them.

Sexyback
Fair enough, though, may I ask where it is said that he was supposed to be the new Vader?

Only a few seconds? Well I was definitely wrongly informed then, I heard that he gave Mace Windu the duel of his life, even scared Mace a little by mimicking Vaapad. I also heard that he pulled off a similar feat to when he defeated those 6 or so jedi in the CW cartoon.

Gideon
I read it in a Star Wars magazine. messed

I think he also says that in the RotS DVD Special Features section - the online documentaries about Grievous.

Yeah, the fight was quick. He did mimick Vaapad - a little, but it didn't scare Mace.

General G
There we go, this is what this thread is supposed to be like big grin

I didn't think the fight was too quick, and I want a show or movie or something of that fight where it shows Grievous's point of view when he was figuring out his form and mimicking it.

Tangible God
Movie-wise:

I dislike Grievous immensly. He was a cyborg with "whikiD kewl" spinning arms that held onto four lightsabers he didn't build himself. He had no Force-abilities and was only able to beat Jedi due to said arms and training he receieved from a former Jedi Master turned Sith Lord.

He left his vital organs ridiculously uncovered, was a coward (I don't care how smart he was for running, he was still a coward), and a fool (leaving two powerful Jedi's lightsabers in his pocket, WHILE the Jedi were standing right in front of him).

Not to mention that f*cking cough, and that extremely annoying Eastern European accent.

Yeah, Grievous RoX!

Alliance
laughing out loud

Kongu Dude
I have seen in multiple threads that the Clone Wars series is considered canon.

And how did he look like a coward? He was smart, his ship was going down and was surrounded by a Jedi Master and the "Chosen One," yeah, I wouldn't stay and take them on either. He left the ship because it was going down, if he stayed, he either would have been taken prisoner by the Jedi and the Republic or had died. So, he did the intelligent move.

When he was fighting OB1, he lost two of his hands and was still going on the offensive. Only did he leave was when the clone army showed up and that would have been stupid to stay and fight OB1 while he had all those clones backing him up.

All of his moves were of intelligence, not cowardice or idiotic, and I still don't see where you get the "punk b!tch" from.
oh3

General G
Originally posted by Kongu Dude
oh3

oh3

Alliance
oh3
oh3

General G
oh3

oh3

Alliance
Grievous sucks.

General G
sad

Grievous Rocks smile

Alliance
Sinks like a rock....

queeq
Very deep discussion....

Alliance
entertaining as a rock?

General G
his four spinny arms help him float and fly back to the safety of land

Alliance
Where the clones shoot him.

queeq
They do?

Alliance
yes

General G
not if they all fall in the water and "sink like a rock"

Alliance
very original...did you learn from Grievous himself?

General G
you know, I really hate to brag but...

queeq
???

Ultraman Baltan
Grievous is one of the best characters of Star Wars. He was actually not that weak in the movie, was cool in the cartoon, and was fantastic in his comic book mini-series.

Alliance
And good thing the cartoon is not Lucas' work and we can ignore it.

queeq
laughing out loud

General G
Bah, you only ignore it because grievous kicks jedi ass in it

Alliance
wtfso?!?

He still sucks. Would a one sided war be entertaining?

Basically Grievous was created as a whore to try to compensate for the awesomeness of the Republic and he was STILL always on the run.

General G
not if you count all those jedi he killed

Alliance
laughing out loud Hes a dumbass...Jedi take their lightsabers form him like adults take candy from babies.

General G
and yet only two jedi have managed to take their lightsabers back...does that mean those jedi wouldn't be able to take a sucker from a baby? No wonder the jedi lost

Alliance
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm including the Cartoon too, you EU whore smile

Its happened loads of times.

General G
I dont seem to recall any others... whistle

Alliance
Good. Now we have established that this is movie only discussion.

General G
ooooh...Alliance, you tricked me

Alliance
No. I just cornered you.

Either Grievous didn't train you that well, or....

....let just say my assumptions are correct.

queeq
Look G, Alliance only likes clones. Anything else sucks in his opinion. But that preference for the copy-boys is also his weakness. wink

General G
No. I just cornered you.

Either Grievous didn't train you that well, or....

....let just say my assumptions are correct.

Perhaps he forgot to mention a few things...

Originally posted by queeq
Look G, Alliance only likes clones. Anything else sucks in his opinion. But that preference for the copy-boys is also his weakness. wink

copy-boys? The new clones that were made during the OT?

Alliance
mad

The clones are better than anything queeq associates with.

"copy boys" PSSHT!

queeq
That's what they are: copy boys... Or copy kids to be exact... They're only about 14b or 15 years old. Or even some may be 10.

General G
I never really liked the clones, I thought it was kind of weird/gross that they were all the exact same person

Alliance
Whats your point? 12 year-olds are better characters than Jedi?

queeq
I made no point, but it may shed a new light on your obscure obsession for the clones. wink

Alliance
new light huh. Sounds like treachery.

Obscure is correct, however.

General G
Ha, at least Grievous wasn't one of 1 000 000 or so clones

Alliance
3 million (about, totally non-cannon)

I dont care. Clones had ranks too, and personalities, and differences.

Leave it to the boys waving shiny sticks to totally neglect that. Not that Grievous was EVER a good commander.

queeq
new light huh. Sounds like treachery.

Obscure is correct, however.

Obscure obession for young boys.... hmmm, treachery is not the right word. Illegal gets closer to the mark.

Alliance
Ok, well, may i remind you that while they are mentally 12, they are biologically 24. So, your point kind of sucks.

General G

Leave it to the boys waving shiny sticks to totally neglect that. Not that Grievous was EVER a good commander.

He was great! Why else would Sidious(?) have hand-picked him??!!!

Obscure obession for young boys.... hmmm, treachery is not the right word. Illegal gets closer to the mark.

laughing out loud

queeq
Ok, well, may i remind you that while they are mentally 12, they are biologically 24. So, your point kind of sucks.

OOh... so you like grown men? In uniforms?

*starts humming YMCA* wink

Alliance
smile except for the YMCA crap....cut that out.

queeq
I think the cowboy suit would look good on you.

General G
laughing out loud

Marxman

You like Star Wars but not the Jedi? How does that work?

General G
Apparently he's only in it for the clones

Alliance
I think the cowboy suit would look good on you.

You'd like that wouldn't you baby...

How about I put on my clone suit, you your transformers suit and we can have some fun.

Alliance
Originally posted by Marxman
You like Star Wars but not the Jedi? How does that work?

More chareacters than Jedi weild lightsabers. erm

queeq
Maybe you didn't quite get I'm not into that, clone boy.

General G
no expression laughing out loud

Never saw that before!

Alliance
Maybe you didn't quite get I'm not into that, clone boy.

Im not either, but its better than being a pedophile and it would be a lot worse for you than it would for me.

queeq
With clones you can be both. wink

Alliance
Not really. erm

Still won't change my opinion.

AOTC hooked me. That movie reinstilled my love of Star Wars. Thanks to clones.

queeq
Then just watch the battle of Geonosis.

Alliance
No. Here's why.

Most of the depth of the characters is revealed on Kamino. The clones are, for the first time in Star Wars...AMBIGUOUS.

That redefined the saga.

General G
OFF TOPIC!!!!

Alliance
No its not, without the clones, grievous would have never been taken out back and shot like the dog he was.

General G
Without the clones, Grievous wouldn't have had to leave and would have been able to kill OB1 because he wouldn't have to worry about stray blaster shots. Grievous seemed to get cockier when he only had two arms left, so perhaps he is better with two...

Alliance
Yeah, because he was celrly winning when he ran away...abandoning his troops no less.

He wasn't even concerned about winning the war. Personal glory no doubt.

General G
And the jedi were worrying too much about winning the war, perhaps there is a happy medium...

OB1 would be able to sense incoming blaster shots, Grievous wouldn't, so a stray shot OB1 could dodge, but Grievous might miss it, so he ran

Alliance
If he was so good, he could have just won. And he could have just won later.

Some Jedi, amazingly, were actually concerned for their troops. Grudgingly, in their defence, they didn't expect personal gain from the war.

General G
he couln't have just won, he was using four and was probably sloppy wiht four, but was trying to use it as intimidation and trying to throw OB1 off. But once he was down to two, you could see him getting cockier as he advances, constantly on the offensive. So he may have been better with two

Alliance
He was clerly just cocky and tryin to be a big show off, attacking with four even though it was a disatvantage to him. However, if he was really that intelligent, that doesn't seem logical.

btw...thought you'd like to see this.

General G
He was also prbbaly trying to give himself the biggest edge, on average, who would someone vote for to win? someone with 4+ lightsabers or someone with one, I would put my money on the guy with four, no matter who it was.

And... blink

Alliance
laughing out loud

Since we are discussiong Grievous, I'm making a commentary on him in my Legacy of the Republic. Grievous actually features as a character, but Aru (pictured above) has four arms but uses ONE saber.

Similar character concept, though Aru is not associated with the Seps.

General G
What does he do with his other 3 arms? Did you draw it yourself? If so, quite good thumb up

Legacy of the Republic?

Alliance
If you notice the saber is long, Aru switches hands frequently, twirling the saber around him like a baton. Since he has such a range he can reach, he can attack from a wide variety of directions at any given time, or surround himself with a "saber-shield" type deal (similar to Grievous).

What Grevious' creators failed to understand is that while 4 sabers is imposing, its not effective to fight with because you have to coordinate all your movements. Fighting with one gives you increased movement, speed, and flexibility in combat.

You can also do cool stuff like this.

Marxman
If you notice the saber is long, Aru switches hands frequently, twirling the saber around him like a baton. Since he has such a range he can reach, he can attack from a wide variety of directions at any given time, or surround himself with a "saber-shield" type deal (similar to Grievous).

What Grevious' creators failed to understand is that while 4 sabers is imposing, its not effective to fight with because you have to coordinate all your movements. Fighting with one gives you increased movement, speed, and flexibility in combat.

But Grevious is a cyborg. I don't know what exactly is droid on him but if his brain is then he can process a lot more than a normal human, giving him the ability to control multiple sabers.

Alliance
It doesn't matter, you still have to coordinate the postion of each one so they don't clash with eachother. It limits his movement.

Marxman
That wouldn't matter. It limits him bringing one lightsaber up because another lightsaber is there. But there would be no need to bring the former up because the latter is already there.

I'm not sure if that made sense.

Alliance
It didn't.

Blaxican
Alliance is right. GG's complex combat style is what killed him. Mace Windu comments that Grievous lacks an appreciation for simplicity, which made Obi-Wans simplistic Soresu style the perfect counter for GG's modified Makashi.

Grievous' styles is just much too complicated, to easy to "snag".

Also, computers are always making mistakes. They're always making processing mistakes, which is why no computer ever truly runs at 100% efficiency.

queeq
So now he's a computer?

General G

That's a pretty awesome pic and pretty smart what you say he does.

General G
So now he's a computer?

He's still living...just not as much as others

Blaxican
So now he's a computer?

Yes, yes he is. He has several processors in his head that coordinate his attacks.

Alliance
Grievious' brain is still intact according to hyperspace. Now, that doesn't rule out cybernetic enhancements...but the base component is still flesh.

maybe that explains his slowness oh

General G
SLOW???!!!!! He was like superman on drugs goin super fast!

Alliance
messed

no...

and then he got beat down....

General G
blink but was really fast...he moved his hands faster than anybody else I have seen

Alliance
if you juggle four balls, it appears that they are moving faster than if you are juggling one.

In actuality, they all go the same speed as the one ball.

queeq
Originally posted by Blaxican
Yes, yes he is. He has several processors in his head that coordinate his attacks.

That doesn't sound like canon.

General G
But you can tell just from watching the movie (and if you go EU from the comments made in LOE from Dooku that some of his moves were faster than the eye could see), you could tell he was fast, there is no denying that.

Alliance
But we're not going to the EU now, are we.

(I might go clone happy)

General G
laughing out loud

Well, I'm assuming you have seen ROTS, so yuo can EASILY see that Grievous moves extremely fast, even if it is just his rotating hands, it is still going fast. Faster than some can keep track of.

Alliance
I could always see them...besides...if you really want to see them, all you have to do is pull out a blaster and he'll run away.

General G
hahaha, funny Alliance...

Some of the moves at the beginning and near the end, they were BARELY visible, you can always see them, they are these shiny colors moving around. But they move very fast and are not always entirely visibly and aren't always easy to follow.

Alliance
Maybe if the camera wasn't inches from his slimy face we'd be able to see better.

General G
hmm...I thought the close-ups really brought out his eyes stick out tongue ...

I liked those shots and his face didn't really look slimy, more of a shine to it, or maybe it was just the color...

Alliance
the close-ups were in pleace so Lucas could show off his techincal 'skillz.'

General G
Which I thought were pretty cool, especially on Grievous, which is why it was my sig for a while eek!

Alliance
I know. That is one of the shots I hated most in ROTS.

General G
no expression sad

That was one of my favourites...

Blaxican
That doesn't sound like canon.

I'm sure it doesn't.

But yes, GG has multiple enhancements to various parts of his body.

But, of course, they don't explain any of this in the movies, so it's not canon roll eyes (sarcastic) Hence why I don't really discuss much here.

Alliance
It may not be cannon, but its not against cannon. Grievous was cybernetically enhanced. I doubt they replaced almost his entire body but didn't give him controls to integrate it.

General G
Yeah, that wouldn't make much sense

PVS
whatever. as queeq said, this:

is not canon
kthx

Alliance
Ok, then Grievous apparently had good neurokinetics.

PVS
Ok, then Grievous apparently had good neurokinetics.

perhaps. we'll never know

Alliance
We can observe.

Blaxican
Originally posted by PVS
whatever. as queeq said, this:

is not canon
kthx

But, of course, they don't explain any of this in the movies, so it's not canon roll eyes (sarcastic)

You fail, kthx.

General G
We can observe.

reading

Alliance
Thats reading you CIS whore...

General G
You can observe things when you read...and perhaps the smiley guy isn't reading, perhaps he is looking at pictures and observing them smile

PVS
You fail, kthx.

no, sorry. lack of evidence against does not prove your EU theory correct. it only makes certain the fact that we'll never know. simple logic is all thats required to arrive to this conclusion. try it out

Alliance
You can observe things when you read...and perhaps the smiley guy isn't reading, perhaps he is looking at pictures and observing them smile

Hes clearly flipping too fast to be doing anyhting.

General G
big pictures that require multiple pages...?

same pictures of different sizes so he/she can see it better...?

Alliance
sounds like Seperatist treachery.

General G
evil face

queeq
laughing out loud

Kongu Dude
Grievous rocks!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>