Rocky III vs. Rocky IV vs. Rocky V

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultraman Baltan
All three movies are either loved or hated. Which one do you like the best? While I adored III, I'll say IV. It was just so amazing! The only one I have seen so far to beat it is the original. III was great as well. V was just an embarassment.

The Core
Ahhh..I saw this coming a mile away. The "Rocky" movies themselves, to be fair, turned into PURE FANTASY after the original. To be perfectly honest, what carried the sequels were the villains in each, not so much the story, given it was the same every single time. He felt he had something to prove, and all he had in his life was boxing.

That said, I'm adament about "Rocky 4" as the cream of the crop. It was a brave movie even for that time, like I said in the OTF, with the strong Cold War allegory. It was insanely inspirational, and a good example of art imitating life, just with a call for peace. May be a little hamfisted according to some, but Ivan Drago made that ****in' movie. Easily the most quotable of the bunch, too.

Dusty
Rocky 4 is my favorite. Not a lot I have to say here.

TheKingofKINGS!
I enjoyed Rocky III, but 4 have better plot, IMO.

Ricodrayz
Rocky 3! 4 pretty much sucked lol. I still have not seen 6 yet but I want too.

Ultraman Baltan
4 rocked!

Ricodrayz
Originally posted by Ultraman Baltan
4 rocked! 5 was worse but 4 is like Batman beat Superman in a fist fight(No Knite), no way Rocky could beat that guy lol or lasted how many rounds.

Ultraman Baltan
Dude, you do not understand. Rocky is the spirit of fighting and to live on for another day. Rocky IS the fighting spirit!

Darth Vicious
Rocky 3 & 4 are my favorites. They are pretty similar and cheesy but I loved them.

Ushgarak
I always had a decent regard for 3; I felt IV really was for the American audience.

Sure as hell, no-one is going to say V. Well, no-one sane.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Ushgarak

yea im not sure why 5 was on the list. I hear stallone on the radio recently talking about how much 5 sucked.

Ultraman Baltan
They were.

SpaceMonkey
Rocky III hands down is the best for me, with VI and IV close behind.

bakerboy
My favourite and the best movie is the original rocky. Rocky 2 was a good sequel.

But talking about those movies in the poll. Rocky 3 was poor but still with some good things on it. Rocky 4 was crap without any sense and rocky 5 was a bad copy of the tone of the first one. So, of those three movies, the best one is rocky 3.

Mr Parker
Yeah the original Rocky is easily the best Rocky movie.For me,Rocky 3 wins easily of the choices here because its my favorite after the original Rocky movies.Rocky 4 and 5 just plain sucked BIG TIME.

The Core
..no basis..as usual.

Mr Parker
pleanty of basis,you just choose not to accept them and live in denial about them roll eyes (sarcastic) dont need to repeat my reasons which I have given countless of times before in the past anyways.while were talking about somebody who has no basis,you need to look in the mirror on someone who has no basis that rocky 5 is the most popular of the rocky movies. laughing laughing out loud laughing laughing good bye,im done with you.

Darth Godzilla
3 was good. 4 and 5 were awful.

bakerboy
Please, rocky 4 and 5 are pure crap. To post that those movies are the most popular or even good movies is a total joke, plain and simple. There arent any value in those movies. I considered rocky 3 a weak film, but at least, it has some values in the story. But rocky 4 is a videoclip without any sense and rocky 5 was a copy of the first one but bad made and with some new and stupid things.

BackFire
3 and 4 are the same basic movie, just one substitutes one over the top, cheesy, one dimensional villain for another.

Either way, they're both entertaining.

I guess I'd go with IV, because Dalph Lungren is cool, and it has two fight scenes.

BackFire
Originally posted by Mr Parker
pleanty of basis,you just choose not to accept them and live in denial about them roll eyes (sarcastic) dont need to repeat my reasons which I have given countless of times before in the past anyways.while were talking about somebody who has no basis,you need to look in the mirror on someone who has no basis that rocky 5 is the most popular of the rocky movies. laughing laughing out loud laughing laughing good bye,im done with you.

Rocky 4, not 5.

bakerboy
Desagree here, i find the fight scenes of both movies( 3 and 4) unrealistic, same with drago than with clubber lag. But at least, there are some good parts in 3, like the relationship between rocky and apollo and apollo's help to rocky to find himself again, or micky's death.

4 wasnt even a movie because its only an stupid videoclip without any sense and pretty bad story. Even the 5 , althougth a bad movie trying to copy the original, has better moments than the 4 one and a better script.

bakerboy
Serioulsy , its difficult to find a worse sequel than rocky 4.

BackFire
Originally posted by bakerboy
Serioulsy , its difficult to find a worse sequel than rocky 4.

No it's not, Rocky V.

bakerboy
One thing that i dont get about the rocky saga. In rocky 1 and 2, rocky was silly. In 3 and 4, he was clever, but in 5, he was silly again. How on hell it was possible?

bakerboy
Originally posted by BackFire
No it's not, Rocky V.

Same crap.

BackFire
But with a street fight instead of boxing, and no Dalph Lungren.

The Core
3 and 4 are the same basic movie, just one substitutes one over the top, cheesy, one dimensional villain for another.

Either way, they're both entertaining.

I guess I'd go with IV, because Dalph Lungren is cool, and it has two fight scenes.

3 and 4 are entirely different. Going to cite the "Cold War" angle once again for that. Not only that, but in "Rocky 3", he had actually lost the passion for wanting to fight. In 4, he had a reason. Revenge.

Please, rocky 4 and 5 are pure crap. To post that those movies are the most popular or even good movies is a total joke, plain and simple. There arent any value in those movies. I considered rocky 3 a weak film, but at least, it has some values in the story. But rocky 4 is a videoclip without any sense and rocky 5 was a copy of the first one but bad made and with some new and stupid things.

"Rocky 4" doesn't have "value". You're clueless. Read below for the umpteenth time about the "Cold War" allegory. Guess you forgot the "everybody can change" speech at the end, as well?

"Done with me". I've never given int oyou, nor lent much credibility to your opinions on well, anything to be frank. I have yet to get any real basis for your opinions other than you presenting your opinion as fact in these forums.

I never said 5 was the most popular, anyway. 4, indeed, based on box office numbers, and having hosted the most memorable villain of the entire franchise. That's basis enough. You think people strut around quoting Thunderlips or ****ing Tommy Gunn? No, and for good reason. In addition, it had a VERY bold social commentary for that time. In 1985, the movie itself could have easily been taken as a means for war. It's literally a propaganda film.

Another good basis for its popularity is the entire USSR/USA "Cold War" which I've has gone through one ear and out the other with pretty much everyone here. It's very Pro-USA, easily the most patriotic of the franchise, but still has a message of hope at the end for both sides. Go figure Shortly there after, 1986, the dissolussion of Soviet Communism began.

..this is all still very entertaining. Everytime a "Rocky" debate comes up, Bakerboy and Mr. Parker show up. Like one sends out a battle cry to the other, lol.

bakerboy
Originally posted by The Core
3 and 4 are entirely different. Going to cite the "Cold War" angle once again for that. Not only that, but in "Rocky 3", he had actually lost the passion for wanting to fight. In 4, he had a reason. Revenge.

"Rocky 4" doesn't have "value". You're clueless. Read below for the umpteenth time about the "Cold War" allegory. Guess you forgot the "everybody can change" speech at the end, as well?

"Done with me". I've never given int oyou, nor lent much credibility to your opinions on well, anything to be frank. I have yet to get any real basis for your opinions other than you presenting your opinion as fact in these forums.

I never said 5 was the most popular, anyway. 4, indeed, based on box office numbers, and having hosted the most memorable villain of the entire franchise. That's basis enough. You think people strut around quoting Thunderlips or ****ing Tommy Gunn? No, and for good reason. In addition, it had a VERY bold social commentary for that time. In 1985, the movie itself could have easily been taken as a means for war. It's literally a propaganda film.

Another good basis for its popularity is the entire USSR/USA "Cold War" which I've has gone through one ear and out the other with pretty much everyone here. It's very Pro-USA, easily the most patriotic of the franchise, but still has a message of hope at the end for both sides. Go figure Shortly there after, 1986, the dissolussion of Soviet Communism began.

..this is all still very entertaining. Everytime a "Rocky" debate comes up, Bakerboy and Mr. Parker show up. Like one sends out a battle cry to the other, lol.

I see clearly that you are the clueless one, because i haven talked about the rocky movies too much, so im far on showing up in every rocky debate. Find my threads and posts at first to get better information and you will see it.

Second, that supposdely cold war value was stupid as hell. How on hell hundreds of soviet people could give support to one american in the same soviet union like it was in the movie? It was absurd and stupid, as all the things in that movie are. Drago couldnt exist, he was a superhuman boxer with not reality at all. The rocky series was based on reality, first one was about a loser geting a chance to fight with the champion, a nobody that could be a champion , the american dream, etc. Rocky life was pretty realistic. Second one was almost the same. Third one was pretty unrealistic in some ways, but some good and realistic values there that i posted before. Fourht one destroyed totally the reality of the saga and goes on a stupid and unrealistic movie and story. There couldnt exist a superhuman boxer like ivan drago, sovietic people in the same soviet union supporting one american boxer and cheering his speech, drago killling with a few punches the man who was a hell for rocky, apollo himself, and then rocky could beat that superhero? And those are realistic or serious values??? Come one, you must be joking.

The Core
It's a movie, anything's possible. The Cold War allegory wasn't merely suggested either, it was blatant. It was the same David vs Goliath story they used in the entire franchise. Just this time around, they used the USA vs USSR gimmick to get across political propaganda.

America swaying the decision of others with logic and reason is nothing new. Like I said, the dramatic expression of Rocky telling the Soviets that everyone can change their ways, was over the top, but it was playing up a current angle. They also admired Rocky's tenacity. It's just DRAMATICS..it's part of the movie. In the end, it's not so far fetched.

Rocky told the Russkies to stop fighting, Reagan told Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.

It happened.

Ultraman Baltan
I see clearly that you are the clueless one, because i haven talked about the rocky movies too much, so im far on showing up in every rocky debate. Find my threads and posts at first to get better information and you will see it.

Actually, I have seen you in 98% of all Rocky debates here.

You honestly have no idea what Core is talking about. The movie isn't supposed to be realistic. Most of the Rocky films aren't realistic(only the first one, actually). Rocky represents the spirit to fight on and to never give up. Of COURSE he would win.
Drago is actually possible, believe it or not. The thing is that people do not focus technology on boxing, so it doesn't work. But if they DID, then Drago is very possible. Actually, Rocky IV STILL stayed towards reality. Think about it. Like Core said, it's all about representation and the characters themselves. That's why it is the most most successful, and second most popular(one trumps them all), Rocky film out there. It gives everyone a strong sense of hope and freedom, and even has one of the most famous fight scenes in film history.

Ultraman Baltan
Same crap.

V was a disgrace. III was a joy to watch. IV was classic.

Ultraman Baltan

crylaugh
WRONG MOVIE!

Mr Parker
Rocky 4, not 5.

Thanks for correting me.Thats what I meant to say. big grin My bad.

Mr Parker

Second, that supposdely cold war value was stupid as hell. How on hell hundreds of soviet people could give support to one american in the same soviet union like it was in the movie? It was absurd and stupid, as all the things in that movie are. Drago couldnt exist, he was a superhuman boxer with not reality at all. The rocky series was based on reality, first one was about a loser geting a chance to fight with the champion, a nobody that could be a champion , the american dream, etc. Rocky life was pretty realistic. Second one was almost the same. Third one was pretty unrealistic in some ways, but some good and realistic values there that i posted before. Fourht one destroyed totally the reality of the saga and goes on a stupid and unrealistic movie and story. There couldnt exist a superhuman boxer like ivan drago, sovietic people in the same soviet union supporting one american boxer and cheering his speech, drago killling with a few punches the man who was a hell for rocky, apollo himself, and then rocky could beat that superhero? And those are realistic or serious values??? Come one, you must be joking.

He sure is clueless.Its best to ignore him because of that..Like you said,its laughable and a joke that hundreds of soviets would give support to an american boxer in their own country and start rooting for him.We both know that,that Drago could not exist,that he was a superhuman and that for a Rocky movie that doesnt work when your talking about realisem and believeability.Thats a good point that the Rocky series was based on reality,thats why Four is a joke,Ivander Holifield himself said Rocky 4 is his least favorite because its easily the most unrealistic and unbelieveble one of them all.He trashed that movie saying that the referee would have stopped that fight very early in the early rounds,and went off saying he disliked it,saying that no human being could ever survive that kind of punishment,that they would have died early on in the rounds.Boy the fourth one sure did destroy the reality of the sage with its stupid copycat rehashed story from Rocky 3.Rocky 3 he goes and fights Clubber Lang because he feels responsible for the death of Mickey since it was his fault for pushing Mickey to train him when Mickey didnt want to.Clubber causes Mickey to die during a scuffle between Rocky and Lang by shoving him against the wall causing Mickey to have a heart attack.Rocky 4,same old story.He goes and fights Drago because he feels guilty about Appollos death.Carbon copy rip off of the third.and by Rocky 4 it was so predicatble it was a joke.Everybody knew he would never to lose to the Russian,that he would win.what a joke and horrible screenwritng.

yeah great point.There couldnt exist a superhuman Boxer like Dragosoviet people in same country cheering an american boxer and his speech,Drago killing the man that was hell for rocky and then rocky could beat the superhero? yeah right. laughing yeah thats hilarous that anybody could possibly say THOSE are realistic and serious values. laughing Ivander Holifield himself said its his least favorite simply because of how unrealistic and belieevable it is.

Dusty
Guys, it's a movie.

Ultraman Baltan
Originally posted by Dusty
Guys, it's a movie.

Dusty, you are my hero. laughing out loud

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I always had a decent regard for 3; I felt IV really was for the American audience.

Ush to be honest...Rocky IV was nothing but American film propaganda. It has no sympathy as far as movie goers. It has zero value a completely and stupid message in the end that everyone saw it coming minutes before the fight ended.

Rocky IV is in the same level as Red Dawn and Rambo III.

Mr Parker
But with a street fight instead of boxing, and no Dalph Lungren.

Thats actually why I prefer Rocky 5 over 4 is because of that.Rocky 4 people couldnt buy into it him fighting a superhero with superpowers.As someone else mentioned earlier,it was like watching Batman fighting Superman without any kryptonite.Batman is gonna be dead in seconds,same with Rocky.Tommy Gunn isnt some superhuman man with superpowers so It was a believeble fight to see him and Gunn go at because they were pretty evenly matched for the most part.Plus the street fight scene was a pretty cool fight to watch.It was something different.Something we hadnt seen before and quite entertaining.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Ush to be honest...Rocky IV was nothing but American film propaganda. It has no sympathy as far as movie goers. It has zero value and completely a stupid message in the end that everyone saw it coming minutes before the fight ended.

Boy it sure is.you can say that again.

Ultraman Baltan
Ush to be honest...Rocky IV was nothing but American film propaganda. It has no sympathy as far as movie goers. It has zero value and completely a stupid message in the end that everyone saw it coming minutes before the fight ended.

See, that is not the full message. It gives the moral of courage and the freedom to do what is right. It's message, like most Rocky films, is indeed valid.

WrathfulDwarf
See, that is not the full message. It gives the moral of courage and the freedom to do what is right. It's message, like most Rocky films, is indeed valid.

Oh, gee...what a way to get a message across. Asking an audience to have peace after a brutal and dangerous fight. Peace by means of fighting......what a great message.

Ultraman Baltan
It proved how dangerous fighting was, and that people get hurt when things like that happen.

WrathfulDwarf
How about Rocky and Drago doing a double K.O.?

See, that would have been a better message...No one wins in a fight.

Ultraman Baltan
Which is why ROCKY won.

EPIIIBITES
The first is the best...but I like IV the most...Kinda cheesy, one dimensional, but darn entertaining.

So many scenes that just get you pumped...oh, and a killer soundtrack to boot.

"If he dies, he dies"... bad-ass!

The Core
Like you said,its laughable and a joke that hundreds of soviets would give support to an american boxer in their own country and start rooting for him.We both know that,that Drago could not exist,that he was a superhuman and that for a Rocky movie that doesnt work when your talking about realisem and believeability.

Did any of the "Rocky" sequels EVER say they were "credible" and made for ANYTHING ELSE other than ENTERTAINMENT VALUE?

By the way, what do scientists say about "Spider-Man"? Credible? Believable? They'll tell you this.

It's a movie.

The Core
Ush to be honest...Rocky IV was nothing but American film propaganda. It has no sympathy as far as movie goers. It has zero value a completely and stupid message in the end that everyone saw it coming minutes before the fight ended.

Nobody in this forum has had the notion to point out the INTENTIONAL overexaggeration of the events in the movie because of the Cold War allegory I keep slapping you people in the face with. Drago kicked his ass, and we're supposed to gather that Rocky comes out at the end saying he's not mad, encouraging the Soviets to change their ways? The only people that saw that coming were those who wrote the ****ing script. To claim otherwise isn't fair.

Impediment
I always liked 4 because Drago was such a mean muther****a, and he killed Apollo.

Scythe
Sigh, where to begin?

Alot of time, many will have opinions which will be seen to most as wrong, however, the creation of Rocky 4-5 should be something that we all have in common, These movies are enough to unite even countries at war, they were long, tedious, unecessary wastes of garbage, and that's taking it lightly.

A movie can only go so far with just, "good casting", as it's strong point. I mean come on, Sly fits the part very well, that's enough. Our message won't get across, but we can pollute the space around us by typing/speaking.

Bottom point is, those last couple of movies were made for fanboys, much like a "best of" album is made by bands who really shouldn't be remembered for anything are still being released, only the hardcore will sit through such an ordeal.

forumcrew
I guess no one heard me say Stallone openly admitted to Rocky FIVE being an absolutely AWFUL movie. He said they knew it was bad even before they released it and it was bothered him the entire time and he always wanted to correct it and go out on a better note.

Scythe
And you'll continue to go unheard, I'm almost sure of it.

Roulette
I think Rocky 4 & 5 are crap....4 was definitely worse than 5 though.

My vote goes to Rocky 3.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Roulette
I think Rocky 4 & 5 are crap....4 was definitely worse than 5 though.

My vote goes to Rocky 3.

I dont know about that. Between 4 & 5, 4 is a masterpiece. % was just horrendous!

bakerboy
It's a movie, anything's possible. The Cold War allegory wasn't merely suggested either, it was blatant. It was the same David vs Goliath story they used in the entire franchise. Just this time around, they used the USA vs USSR gimmick to get across political propaganda.

America swaying the decision of others with logic and reason is nothing new. Like I said, the dramatic expression of Rocky telling the Soviets that everyone can change their ways, was over the top, but it was playing up a current angle. They also admired Rocky's tenacity. It's just DRAMATICS..it's part of the movie. In the end, it's not so far fetched.

Rocky told the Russkies to stop fighting, Reagan told Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.

It happened.

not, anything isnt possible in a movie. It depends on what kind of movie. In a suphero movie yes( to to tell it to that idiot sam raimi for not posting the web shooters in a comic book movie for being too unrealistic), in a rocky movie not. Rocky the first one is a very realistic movie with tons of realistic elements and characters. Second one almost the same but with some things a little unrealistic. The third one even more unrealistic. Your beloved fourth one was totally unrealistic. Stallone did get mad for the money and the sequels and destroyed the realism of the first one in each new sequel.

And about the speech. Not only it was stupid as hell( a boxer talking about the not violence) it was very simply and patriotic, so a bunch of soviet people cheering that speech was easiest the most unrealistic thing in the movie. It was for the patriotism nothing more. A lot of soviet people cheering an american boxer with a american flag, come on stallone. I didnt know that you were so a dork. This sequel is an insult to the first one.

bakerboy
Actually, I have seen you in 98% of all Rocky debates here.

Yes? Show me them and my posts on it.

You honestly have no idea what Core is talking about. The movie isn't supposed to be realistic. Most of the Rocky films aren't realistic(only the first one, actually). Rocky represents the spirit to fight on and to never give up. Of COURSE he would win.

The first and the second one ware realistic. The sequels destroyed it, specially the fourth one.
Drago is actually possible, believe it or not. The thing is that people do not focus technology on boxing, so it doesn't work. But if they DID, then Drago is very possible. Actually, Rocky IV STILL stayed towards reality. Think about it. Like Core said, it's all about representation and the characters themselves. That's why it is the most most successful, and second most popular(one trumps them all), Rocky film out there. It gives everyone a strong sense of hope and freedom, and even has one of the most famous fight scenes in film history.

Not, i dont believe that drago could be possible because he couldnt be possible. Show me only a real boxer as drago. Show me a real boxer with almost 1 ton of strenght in one punch. And show me one boxer capable of taking several punchs like this and win the figth.

The rest of your post is simply false. This movie ISNT the second most popular in the franchise. It wasnt towards the reality in any way. And it wasnt one of the most popular fights in movie story.

If you like that movie, great for you. But dont be that blind and post those bunch of lies only for defending it.

bakerboy
Did any of the "Rocky" sequels EVER say they were "credible" and made for ANYTHING ELSE other than ENTERTAINMENT VALUE?

By the way, what do scientists say about "Spider-Man"? Credible? Believable? They'll tell you this.

It's a movie.

Spiderman the movie was crap but not for the realistic thing. THis movie HAS TO BE UNREALISTIC because its a comic book. The movie was crap because the script, the acting and some other things. But the funny thing is the director sam raimi didnt want to put the web shooters because he thought that it was unrealistic.

Dont count all the movies as the same thing. Spiderman has to be unrealistic. SUperman has to be unrealistic. Batman has to be unrealistic. Star wars has to be unrealistic.

APocalypse now has to be realistic. Taxi driver has to be realistic. Ranging bull has to be realistic. First blood has to be realistic( but stallone destroyed it again in the sequels, specially in third one). Rocky has to be realistic. Its the story of a normal boxer , a looser fighting for being someone. Not about a superhero, like stallone wanted to do in the sequels.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I dont know about that. Between 4 & 5, 4 is a masterpiece. % was just horrendous!

No way.5 is at least realistic and believeable where 4 is totally unrealistic and not believeable at all.I compare rocky 5 to Halloween 3 season of the witch.If you dont think of Halloween 3 as a Halloween movie and forget its called Halloween and just think of it as being called Season of the witch since it has nothing to do with the first two halloween films its not too bad of a movie.It just sucks when you think of it so much as a halloween movie because it wasn't anywhere near as good as the first two films.Same thing with Rocky 5.If you forget that its called Rocky 5 and think of it as being called Tommy since Tommy Morrisons character was Tommy Gunn, then its not too bad of a film.Slow and boring at times but again much more realistic and believeable than Rocky 4. wink

Mr Parker
not, anything isnt possible in a movie. It depends on what kind of movie. In a suphero movie yes( to to tell it to that idiot sam raimi for not posting the web shooters in a comic book movie for being too unrealistic), in a rocky movie not. Rocky the first one is a very realistic movie with tons of realistic elements and characters. Second one almost the same but with some things a little unrealistic. The third one even more unrealistic. Your beloved fourth one was totally unrealistic. Stallone did get mad for the money and the sequels and destroyed the realism of the first one in each new sequel.

And about the speech. Not only it was stupid as hell( a boxer talking about the not violence) it was very simply and patriotic, so a bunch of soviet people cheering that speech was easiest the most unrealistic thing in the movie. It was for the patriotism nothing more. A lot of soviet people cheering an american boxer with a american flag, come on stallone. I didnt know that you were so a dork. This sequel is an insult to the first one.

Rocky 4 sure is an insult to the Rocky series.Great points.But really Bakerboy its best to just ignore the insane ramblings of the core and Ultraman Baltan.They go to the most desperate insane lengths to try and justify that Rocky 4 was a good movie.See thats why I have always enjoyed debating with Dusty because unlike them,Dusty at least makes reasonable and well thought out posts in his debates when we have our discussions on disagreements about films.The core and Baltan ignore Facts like Ivander Holified himself said Rocky 4 is the most unrealistic and unbelieveable Rocky film of the Rocky series and disliked it even more so than Rocky 5 because of that and went on to say that no human being could survive that kind of punishment.they constantly ignore points and facts brought up to them like that so ignore their posts,their not worth it.talking them is like talking to a wall.

Mr Parker
Spiderman the movie was crap but not for the realistic thing. THis movie HAS TO BE UNREALISTIC because its a comic book. The movie was crap because the script, the acting and some other things. But the funny thing is the director sam raimi didnt want to put the web shooters because he thought that it was unrealistic.

Dont count all the movies as the same thing. Spiderman has to be unrealistic. SUperman has to be unrealistic. Batman has to be unrealistic. Star wars has to be unrealistic.

APocalypse now has to be realistic. Taxi driver has to be realistic. Ranging bull has to be realistic. First blood has to be realistic( but stallone destroyed it again in the sequels, specially in third one). Rocky has to be realistic. Its the story of a normal boxer , a looser fighting for being someone. Not about a superhero, like stallone wanted to do in the sequels.

Great points again Bakerboy.You've done a great job of taking them to school on this but really,dont waste your breath on them anymore.It just goes through one ear and out the other with them with their desperate attempts to try and defend the film.Like I said,talk to the people that make reasonable points like Dusty and others.

Mr Parker
What I think is so hilarious and funny about the people like The Core and Ultraman Baltans attempts to justify Rocky 4 being a good movie is that Rocky 4 was a winner of only Razzie awards.I typed in and did a google search of the Rocky films by typing in Rocky 2 Razzie awards to satisfy my curiousity on if they had won any Razzie awards.Nothing for Rocky 2 came up but SEVERAL-count em SEVERAL links came up showing all the razzie awards that Rocky 4 had won.ha ha ha.There were even more links to razzie awards won by Rocky 4 than their were for Rocky 5.Rocky 5 had its share of razzie awards there as well but nobody likes that one so no need to post the awards for that movie.However here are the results of the razzie awards that came up on those links for razzie awards movies were nominated for and won in 1986.LOL.

Heres the list.

Worst Actor. Stallone for both Rambo First Blood part 2
and Rocky 4.

Worst Actress
Bridgette Nielson

Worst supporting actor
Burt Young

Worst supporting actress
Nominee-Talia Shire
winner-Bridgette Neilson

Worst musical Score-Rocky 4-not surprising since the traditional
musical score was non existent in that film.LOL

worst screenplay-Rambo.First Blood part 2
Nominee-Rocky 4.

Worst Picture winner-Rambo part two
Nominee-Rocky 4

and finally biggest winner.
Rambo 2 just barely edging Rocky 4. laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing

So the movie some here are defending as a good movie is a movie that the only kind of awards won by it were Razzie awards. laughing

Solo
Your only attack at Rocky IV is saying that it won several razzies? So if the razzies say it's awful it has to be awful, yes? No one even takes the razzies seriously anyway.

It's all a matter of opinion, who cares.

Mr Parker
No thats not my only attack,just read through all my other posts,I got PLENTY of attacks. big grin

§P0oONY
Right... I don't particularly like any of them, they all fall short.

3 - Rocky gets obsessed with being famous and neglects training and working on keeping his title where on the the other side Clubber Lang is working his arse off. This becomes a story of revenge when Lang gets rid of Rocky's coach. Then Rocky beats Lang in the ring... Not sure what message this is trying to send out.. "Goof off, who cares, you'll win anyway"... "Revenge is a good thing... eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth"...

The film wasn't too bad though, it was entertaining.

4 - Okay... What the ****? Rocky gets in the ring with someone who killed Apollo (Rocky had trouble fighting with in I and II) and wins... Now I don't expect a Rocky film to be realistic but this may have crossed the line in to obscurity. Then we have Rocky's ridiculous speech at the end of the film, what a crock of shit. "Stop fighting! We can all get along if we change"... Surely that was sort of the point of the cold war... No one wiling to change. Rocky just shouldn't be sending out moral messages. What a ridiculous film. Rocky Vs. Communism! If this film had been made earlier it would have been even more of a laugh... I quite enjoyed the fighting scene though and him training in the snow.

5 - **** off.... Seriously... **** right off.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Solo
Your only attack at Rocky IV is saying that it won several razzies? So if the razzies say it's awful it has to be awful, yes? No one even takes the razzies seriously anyway.

It's all a matter of opinion, who cares.

I forgot to mention this earlier.Actually thats not true that they dont take razzies seriously.For a movie to be considered for so many razzie awards like Rocky 5 AND Rocky 4 got,they got to seriously be considered a bad movie by many people.Rocky 4 and 5 got those nominations because they ARE seriously bad movies. big grin Thats fine if someone wants to say they like Rocky 4 the best of the Rocky movies.What I dont like is when they make false untrue statements that Rocky 4 is considered the most popular Rocky movie of the sequals just because THEY like it the best when theres no evidence of that whatsoever.I dislike Rocky 4 more so than Rocky 5 but I can acknowledge it that most people hate Rocky 5 more so because theres evidence of that.Not so with Rocky 4 being the most popular of the sequals other than the lame reason of it was the biggest box office winner of the Rocky movies.a very poor excuse to use to try and convince people that its the most popular.Rocky 4 like Rocky 5 got so many razzie awards because so many people and critics hated those two Rocky movies big grin

Mr Parker

The Core
No thats not my only attack,just read through all my other posts,I got PLENTY of attacks. big grin

"Attacks" are reserved for people who don't have a point, like yourself. Childishly teaming up on other people who have indeed made valid points, whereas you just impose your opinion on everyone else, gabbing about "reality" and "credibility" ina movie that never claimed to be "realistic" in the first place. People don't go to movies for "realism". They go for entertainment.

As stated before, The Razzies are about as worthless as any other Academy Award, however, in your slanderous onslaught, you forgot to mentuion that "Rocky 4", in fact, did NOT WIN all the awards you named. They were nominations, one half of them, and 2 of which went to Brigette Nielsen, who had maybe 10 minutes of screen time.

The same people also "awarded" Vince DeCola "Worst Score", which is mindboggling, considering he was a GOLDEN GLOBE and GRAMMY nominee only 1 year earlier.

I'm finished "discussing" this with you Parker, and you, Bakerboy. You've both got your heads so far up your collective asses, too concerned reiterating invalid points, to listen to anyone elses POINTS and OPINIONS other than your own.

I'm not stooping any furthur than I have. I respect people's opinions when they have one. You don't, so you don't get to enjoy that courtesy.

The Core
Like I said,talk to the people that make reasonable points like Dusty and others.

Yeah. Dusty's been in this thread one time, and said the exact same thing I said two times before.

Ignorant punk.

§P0oONY

WrathfulDwarf
The blantant hypocracy of the film really gets to me.

"Russian Athletes using steroids"

"American Athletes are pure hard work and no enhancements"

Wow! Rocky IV is the only film that causes a reverse affect on me. I'm all pro-American stuff...but this film had me cheering for the Soviets.

bakerboy
Good job postsing those ratziees nominations, mr parker.

For my part, i have posted my opinion very clear about those movies and nothing more to add.

=Tired Hiker=
OMG, 3 was the bomb, 4 sucked donkey balls, and 5 . . . I'd rather have a root canal that suffer through watching 5 again. And Dolph what's his face in part 4 was ridiculous. Russian people don't even sound like that in real life. He was an insult to all Russian people all over the world, I think Stallone should make a public apology to the world for making Rocky 4. Rocky 4 is the cancer of boxing movies. My Great Aunt Edna's home movie of her making crab cakes was more entertaining. I crap on Rocky 4 and wipe my ass with 5.

Ultraman Baltan
I loved 4!

From the Rocky movies I have seen, it would be......

1. Rocky
2. Rocky 4
3. Rocky 3
4. Rocky 5

ToMacco
1. Rocky
2. Rocky 6
3. Rocky 2
4. Rocky 3
5. Rocky 4
6. Rocky 5

I just love that training montage in Rocky IV.

spencerspider
original and 3 are the best so i voted for 3. 4 sucked so did 5, and 6 was better than i thought it would be so.. thats my three cents and yes thats one more than ur two cents

The Core
I find it harder and harder to accept people's "opinions" when they're so infintely baseless. Don't say "it sucked" just because you didn't like it. It's all subjective, but it has more positive reaffirmations than it does negative, and that's namely in box office stats, like I said., Considering tickets cost 1/2 of what they do now back then, $300 Million dollars goes a lot furthur.

ToMacco
I can't believe Adrian never got naked.

Nickey
I vote Rocky 3. As others have said Rocky 4 and 5 sucked. I hate them as well for the reasons others have listed. They really do suck and are a disgrace to the Rocky series.

The Core
No offensive, but you're 14, and your favorite movies include "Freaky Friday" and "Material Girls". I don't think think you've seen all 5 prior "Rocky" films, been able to comprehend them, much less the social impact behind that of "Rocky 4".

Nickey
So you think you know me, because you took a quick peek at my profile? Well guess again buddy. Just because I like Freaky Friday and Material Girls doesn't mean I don't have the knowledge to comprehend them. So next time please get your facts straight. You don't know me, and don't think you will just because you read a few details in my profile.

Ultraman Baltan
Originally posted by Nickey
So you think you know me, because you took a quick peek at my profile? Well guess again buddy. Just because I like Freaky Friday and Material Girls doesn't mean I don't have the knowledge to comprehend them. So next time please get your facts straight. You don't know me, and don't think you will just because you read a few details in my profile.

Actually, I agree. I disagree that 4 was bad, but I agree that that was a pretty descriminating paragraph he wrote.
If Mr. Parker can give his opinion, then she can too.

bakerboy
No offensive, but you're 14, and your favorite movies include "Freaky Friday" and "Material Girls". I don't think think you've seen all 5 prior "Rocky" films, been able to comprehend them, much less the social impact behind that of "Rocky 4".

Dude, let the people express their opinion with freedom, dont try to put your opinion like the only valid one. This girl hated those movies, she has the right to express it, her age and her cinema experience doestn matter.

If you want to live in your fantasy all the time with that supposdely social impact and popularity of rocky 4, come on. But let the people express their opinion with total freedom.

Mr Parker
Yeah unlike The Core Im actually beginning to respect Ultraman Baltan now.At least he didnt attack that poster like the core did just because her views on Rocky 4 are different than his.Very well said post to The Core Bakerboy.well done. thumb up

Ultraman Baltan
Yeah unlike The Core Im actually beginning to respect Ultraman Baltan now.At least he didnt attack that poster like the core did just because her views on Rocky 4 are different than his.Very well said post to The Core Bakerboy.well done. thumb up

That's hypocritical, since you told me that I was not a true Spiderman fan because I liked the movie, not to mention that you said my OPINION is wrong, so I don't get to say jack about Spiderman.

The Core
Originally posted by Nickey

I never claimed to know you, but based on what I've read, you don't come across as a "Rocky" fan, having seen all 5, and having a legitimate reason for disliking 4 the most. That's it. If you have seen them all, I just would have expected a little explanation. One not taken from Mr. Parker or Bakerboy's posts.

Dude, let the people express their opinion with freedom, dont try to put your opinion like the only valid one. This girl hated those movies, she has the right to express it, her age and her cinema experience doestn matter.

If you want to live in your fantasy all the time with that supposdely social impact and popularity of rocky 4, come on. But let the people express their opinion with total freedom.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion, just as I have every right to challenge it. It was baseless. You don't just enter a debate and say "this sucks" without having a damn good reason.

...and like I said before, no offense was intended, but I highly doubt she's seen all the movies. If she had, I would expected some reasoning as to why they thought what they did, because otherwise, it looks like they're just going with whatever the popular opinion is.

You don't respect his opinion. His is the same as mine, for the same reasoning. You're just playing nice because I challenged someone's opinion. Someone you obviously think is "innocent", just because I feel strongly about something.

You respect him, and for no good reason.

There are some times where I just think I'm way too old for this shit, and these people.

bakerboy
I thought that i was too old for this shit since the second page of this topic.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Greetings I have seen all three Rocky movies except part six. Don't want to see it either. Parts 3, 4, and 5 were ok, But the very first one was very good.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Awesome Man
That's hypocritical, since you told me that I was not a true Spiderman fan because I liked the movie, not to mention that you said my OPINION is wrong, so I don't get to say jack about Spiderman.

talk about a guy who cant get over an argument that happened in the past. roll eyes (sarcastic) so what? thats just my opinion that your not a true fan for accepting that movie,big deal and at that point I didnt respect you because you were calling people who criticised the movie whiners which is childish,that seems to be the childish thing to do with many posters in the spiderman section though is that they call people who dont like the movie whiners saying stop whining just because someone criticises the movie,the spiderman section is the ONLY comic section I see where people say that crap either,thats why i havent ventured into it since then.It amazes me the lack of maturity in that section stooping to such chilidish nonsense saying - stop whining.you were one of those posters doing that childish crap so I did not respect you at that point just like i dont respect anybody in that section who says that crap.you stopped with that crap in this section and did not attack that girl like the core did so I was beginning to respect you,but I cant now if you cant get over a past argument that I long forgot about. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Awesome Man
talk about a guy who cant get over an argument that happened in the past. roll eyes (sarcastic) so what? thats just my opinion that your not a true fan for accepting that movie,big deal and at that point I didnt respect you because you were calling people who criticised the movie whiners which is childish,that seems to be the childish thing to do with many posters in the spiderman section though is that they call people who dont like the movie whiners saying stop whining just because someone criticises the movie,the spiderman section is the ONLY comic section I see where people say that crap either,thats why i havent ventured into it since then.It amazes me the lack of maturity in that section stooping to such chilidish nonsense saying - stop whining.you were one of those posters doing that childish crap so I did not respect you at that point just like i dont respect anybody in that section who says that crap.you stopped with that crap in this section and did not attack that girl like the core did so I was beginning to respect you,but I cant now if you cant get over a past argument that I long forgot about. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I actually laughed. That was pretty much ridiculous, not to mention helps my point.

Mr Parker
I just now noticed that you went and got yourself banned AGAIN.well that being said,its best for me to edit this post since ultraman baltan is ALSO clearly not worth wasting my breath on anymore. big grin

Grimm22
I'll say IV just because the Russian is easy to hate where Mr. T is still awesome even if he was a villan laughing

Also the entire concept of Rocky fighting this communist government champion who gets all these advanced technologies and steroids and stuff, where Rocky gets an old farm to train on is awesome

And in the end its not even about the US vs the Soviet Union, its about a vendetta between two men, one a cold hearted killer and the other a bruiser from Brooklyn.

Also the music rocks big grin

Nickey
I never claimed to know you, but based on what I've read, you don't come across as a "Rocky" fan, having seen all 5, and having a legitimate reason for disliking 4 the most. That's it. If you have seen them all, I just would have expected a little explanation. One not taken from Mr. Parker or Bakerboy's posts.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion, just as I have every right to challenge it. It was baseless. You don't just enter a debate and say "this sucks" without having a damn good reason.

...and like I said before, no offense was intended, but I highly doubt she's seen all the movies. If she had, I would expected some reasoning as to why they thought what they did, because otherwise, it looks like they're just going with whatever the popular opinion is.

Wow, this guy desperately seeks attention.

You don't respect his opinion. His is the same as mine, for the same reasoning. You're just playing nice because I challenged someone's opinion. Someone you obviously think is "innocent", just because I feel strongly about something.

You respect him, and for no good reason.

There are some times where I just think I'm way too old for this shit, and these people.

Silverstein
im with mr parker., he brings up very good points

The Hawk
I saw Rocky 4 in the theatres when I was just 5 years old... and recently, out of respect to Mr Stallone, went to go see Rocky 6 in the theatre 21 years later.

Rocky 4 is definitly the best. Rocky 3 has some great scenes in it. Rocky 5 is like the Godfather part 3... 6 was also somewhat disapointing.

and the greatest scene out of all 6 was when in part 2 when Rocky is asking Mick to train him to fight Apollo again but Micky doesnt want to... That scene in the stairway is great... rank it up there with the "It stinks!" scene.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.