Anti-compass support group

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

katelovespirate
Who thinks the compass should be left out of the third film entirely?

Mistypirate
Yes I'm with you. The hell with the damn compass. It should walk the plank.

Turbo-charged
not me. If it does have all that importance then its essential

Mistypirate
Yes the compass is a valuable aspect in the movie. I think it represents the characters emotions. But is so complicated and confusing, it would be better not to have the compass. It would be much more simple.

willofthewisp
Get rid of the damn compass and let the characters be guided by their own hearts.

Turbo-charged
Wel the compass did point the to Isle Dewarta(whatever I cant speel it) in CotBP. and it does seem to have SOME purpose in DMC and who knows! in AWE it may be the thing that finds Liz!

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Turbo-charged
Wel the compass did point the to Isle Dewarta(whatever I cant speel it) in CotBP. and it does seem to have SOME purpose in DMC and who knows! in AWE it may be the thing that finds Liz!

I think Will might use it this time, IMO he might steal it in order to find the FD. And yes it might be used to find Liz when she gets kidnapped by Sao.

Turbo-charged
so,.... they can't get rid of it now can they?

Mistypirate
I doubt they get rid of it. I think its going play an important part in AWE as well.

Turbo-charged
yup! big grin

Surreal_44
I would like it if the compass was used by one person while the other main characters aren't around, so that way we don't have to worry about who the darn thing is pointing at. big grin

But I do like the compass. big grin

Depprived
I say keep the compass but then I am a J/E shipper so... wink

Turbo-charged
cool

Mistypirate
LOL I'm a J/L shipper as well, but I say get rid of it and let the characters show their emotions without it, like Willof said. But IMO the compass is symbolic to the characters emotions. So I doubt they are going to get rid of it.

Turbo-charged
true

willofthewisp
The compass puts ideas into people's heads. It's all about the power of suggestion. Would Liz reconsider her feelings for Jack if the compass never existed? Let's say Will had to go get the drawing of the key from Jack, no compass. And Liz went to go find him and Jack invited her to come along. Would she think of him romantically without it? If you say no, then you're depending on the compass. Consider when she goes off after the persuasion scene. She's smiling and thinking about him and Norrington doesn't really plant any seeds. But she gets out the compass and bam, it doesn't matter what it points to. She likes him, so she thinks it's pointing to him.

I want to see somebody (Liz) throw it into the ocean and scream, "You've brought me nothing but trouble," only to have whoever she really wants come up behind her and kiss her.

Chiki Mina
Well...I guess the compass is a way to show us on whats the moral standards of the characters. Then again, the lesson here should be follow your heart and that they dont need a compass to know if you want this person or not.

I dont care much about the compass, I just want to see the characters searching in their hearts, not the compass.

Depprived
The compass is a useful visual aid I think. It's let's us knows Jack is 'vexed' by Elizabeth and that Liz wants Jack without any words needing to be said. After Norrington's suggestion that Liz likes Jack, can you image her saying, "Well actually, I am rather hot for him right now." No. The compass says it for her, what she wouldn't dare to.

What I'm saying (or writing) is that I don't see the compass as just a quirky gadget but also as something that forces people to confront what they otherwise would have to to scared to admit.

katelovespirate
Originally posted by willofthewisp
The compass puts ideas into people's heads. It's all about the power of suggestion. Would Liz reconsider her feelings for Jack if the compass never existed? Let's say Will had to go get the drawing of the key from Jack, no compass. And Liz went to go find him and Jack invited her to come along. Would she think of him romantically without it? If you say no, then you're depending on the compass. Consider when she goes off after the persuasion scene. She's smiling and thinking about him and Norrington doesn't really plant any seeds. But she gets out the compass and bam, it doesn't matter what it points to. She likes him, so she thinks it's pointing to him.

I want to see somebody (Liz) throw it into the ocean and scream, "You've brought me nothing but trouble," only to have whoever she really wants come up behind her and kiss her.

sounds good to me.

but i'm still anti-compass. hehe.

Chiki Mina
Im in between. Though I just want to make this clear. The compass is just a compass. Compass didn't lie in DMC. But what I really want in AWE is that Jack looks for a guide in his heart, not the compass. Compass is a 'material object'. So I prefer Jack putting that aside and have more faith in himself.

Its good though that it showed us on how it works in DMC, now we want to see on how that characters depend on themselves more than the compass.

Mistypirate
I completely agree. I want the compass to be use for only half of the movie, and hopefully it will get thrown over board.

katelovespirate
the compass, to me, is comparable to the ring of power in lotr. i mean, yeah important or whatever, but sort of confusing and it gets entirely too much screentime. remember in lotr how about 35 minutes were devoted to dramatic zoom ins on the ring in someone's hand? yeah. compass. too much time.

Chiki Mina
I really want to see something like Jack looking at the compass without opening it. Then thinks and hears how loud and strong his heart is beating, looks at the compass again without opening it. Then, looks at Lizzie, he smiles.

Jack: To hell with the compass. I don't need to look at it to know what I want.

Jack grabs Lizzie and embraces her in a mad, loving, passionate kiss.

Mistypirate
Yes its almost the same thing. The compass gets really confusing, but I guess thats how its meant to be. I really hope they don't use it a lot in AWE, but it doesn't look that way. Without the compass things would be more simple. It would be easy to tell each character's emotions.

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
I really want to see something like Jack looking at the compass without opening it. Then thinks and hears how loud and strong his heart is beating, looks at the compass again without opening it. Then, looks at Lizzie, he smiles.

Jack: To hell with the compass. I don't need to look at it to know what I want.

Jack grabs Lizzie and embraces her in a mad, loving, passionate kiss.

I would like to see that as well eek!

Chiki Mina
Thats a sample of my fanfiction lol

Mistypirate
Are u writing a fic? I would like to read it.

Chiki Mina
Yes Im writing a fic. Can't wait myself! Its my first fic that Im planning to post.

Mistypirate
cool can't wait to read it, what is it about?

Chiki Mina
Its Jack change in character and how Lizzie is trying to bring him back. Doesnt sound interesting lol. But its spoilers from AWE.

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
Its Jack change in character and how Lizzie is trying to bring him back. Doesnt sound interesting lol. But its spoilers from AWE.

awesome, yes it does sounds interesting and more if its post DMC. big grin

Chiki Mina
Time to change my siggy big grin

Mistypirate
lol ok make a J/L shippy one

Chiki Mina
I did big grin

Mistypirate
Wow that is nice. I like it, it looks really retro. big grin what are those roses? ok nevermind about the retro...but it looks nice. wink

-savvychick-
hehe, i like it mina!!!

i need to figure out how to make mine bigger...lol

Chiki Mina
LMAO Thanks! Yes I added some roses.

Mistypirate
I like yours as well Savvy, I need my lazy behind to make a new one. big grin

-savvychick-
i like rosesbig grin they're my favorite flower thingy lol

-savvychick-
i like yours misty...lol...we used the same picture thingysmile just noticed that

Mistypirate
I know Savvy thats why I like it, but your's look nicer big grin

-savvychick-
thanxbig grin what does yours say on the top? i cant read it

Mistypirate
LOL I need to fix that, It says "It was meant to be" smile

Chiki Mina
Hey Misty are you familiar about the "giant tree" in Caguas?

Its used in church.

-savvychick-
Originally posted by Mistypirate
LOL I need to fix that, It says "It was meant to be" smile

oh...ok...lol...i see it nowbig grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.