More Terry on WordPlayer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Chiki Mina
Im not sure if anyone posted this or not, but I just had the curiosity of browsing aroud on the web and I found somethin interesting, I guess you may say.

Re: I want the truth (about Pirates III)

Posted by Terry on Friday, 29 December 2006, at 10:25 p.m., in response to I want the truth (about Pirates III), posted by Travis Graham on Friday, 29 December 2006, at 7:16 p.m.

>> Are they happy with it?

Me? Not at all. It has flaws, problems never adequately solved, missed opportunities, and compromises. But then, I felt that way about P1 and P2.

>> Is it going to be the bomb?

A lot of people will say it is not as good as I, a lot of people will say it is not as good as II, the critics will say it is, 'overlong, complex and bloated." Many fans wil hate it, many fans will love it; financially, it is not likely to match the crazy box office of II, as the competition is 4x as tough, and some people who didn't like P2 won't go see P3. I may be the bomb, can't tell yet, but it won't be a bomb, methinks.

>> Is it what they wanted?

No, not me personally. Sections, yes, but these films are collaborations, so it reflects the sensibilites of all members of the group, not any one person.

>> Or is it going to simply be a good movie?

At this point, it could be simply a bad movie, too. If you're looking to repeat the experience you had on P1 you'll be disappointed; this film is not that. If you're looking to repeat the experience you had on P2, this film is not that either. Truthfully I don't know how the film plays yet, but I can tell you, it's not intended to be a repeat of P1 or P2 ... as such, it's an experiment, it's a risk, it might work or it might not. (Exactly the same position we were at this point on P1 and P2.)

>> Are they happy with the product, ecstatic, satisfied, hopeful,
>> cautiously optimistic, resigned, or what?

It is my job to feel like we are all presiding over a disaster ... which is exactly what I felt about P1 and P2.

>> Was it cut to their liking?

I have not see how thrashed it will get when the running time dictators have their say.

>> Was the arc completed?

That's a question I can answer. Yes, the trilogy is completed.

>> Don't leave us hanging, man.

Every film is a theory, an experiment, the results unknown until completed and shown before an audience. We're hanging as much as you are.

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/movies/index.cgi?read=93487

sparrobethroxmy
omg i wish he just slipped something out and gave us a huge spoiler but he had to be all "some will hate it and some will love it" kinda thing! now im at the edge of my seat i want to see the movie so bad!

JacksSweet

JacksSweet
or...maybe everyone will be alone???...hmm..liz with her father,jack with his father and will with his father??? big grin it is bizarre i think...but...hmmm...

Ericadawn
I think his remark about people not going to AWE if they didn't like DMC has more to do with a variety of reasons than just JE. More people complained about how dark DMC was and how the characters were less likable than the JE elements. Those who don't like JE will go to AWE just to make sure that WE prevails.

katelovespirate
very interesting. thanks for posting, Chiki....

all the risk/experiement talk, when imagined with the kick-ass ending talk, definately points to a supernatural, high drama ending. it sounds as though they pushed it out of "adventure" land and way over into "epic" land. Which i don't think was really necessary, but we'll see.

but as always, all this talk could work with all sorts of possible endings. the Will becomes captain, liz sacrifices herself to save him, they both become immortal---- that works with the complex idea, and the "problems never adequately solved, missed opportunities, and compromises" junk.

or we could take the extremely experimental, almost fearful way the writers view it as a chance on sparrabeth.

JacksSweet

ivebeendepped43
MUST.......................SEE...................................MOVIE.

tee_pirategirl
LOL gee really? I'm not really up for it! I think I'll go see spider man three instead LOL...but seriousely I feel the same some times I feel like a drug addict in BAD need of drug

Mistypirate
The writers weren't happy with AWE? confused But they wrote the frigging movie don't they? What's that supposed to mean? I don't get it. I guess I should go over to wordplayer and ask them this questions. LOL. At least they can confirm that the trilogy was completed. Thats a good thing. I think. confused

Chiki Mina
Terry confused me alot...

So ti will be a dissapointment anyways in both parties?

PirateDiva
All i got was that T N T managed to confuse us without really saying much....everthing he said he countered....so we pretty much in the same place....except for it's an experiment!

Surreal_44
Few comments: Very few writers are actually pleased with the final product. There's always this sense of "Darn, I could have done that so differently!"...even JKRowling doesn't like everything she writes, and she has one of the most successful series of books ever.

As far as W/E and J/E being disappointed...woot! Norribeth all the way, baby! You should all join me... big grin

Mistypirate
Yes that experiment word really seems interesting and freaky. I wonder who they paired Liz with this time?. I bet It was with Jack the monkey.

Chiki Mina
Well, if he said that it was going to be dissapointing, then why waste paper(poor trees), ink, and our time and money in a movie that will leave us dissapointed then?

Mistypirate
Well I think that at the end, they are the ones that are going to be disappointed.

Chiki Mina
There is something funny about that post. I just can't put ny finger on it.

I dunno, I just think there is something hidden...

Mistypirate
Of course there is, especially that "experiment" it has got me itching of curiosity.

Chiki Mina
And it needs to be scratched lol. But, T&T aren't stupid to make a movie that will leave us dissapointing. We are not asking to hit the billion mark, we just want a satisfying ending.

PirateDiva
I think that was their answer so they dont seem like a$$e$ for not answering so that was them answering with literally not saying anything!!!

Chiki Mina
He's probably trying to say if we want the billion mark again, then it's probably not going to be that.

PirateDiva
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
He's probably trying to say if we want the billion mark again, then it's probably not going to be that.

well he says the competition is 4x greater:

1. Spiderman 3
2. Shrek 3
3. Harry Potter

which would be the 4th one?

Chiki Mina
Again, T&T, hear me out lol. I'm not interesting about the billion mark again. I just want a satisfying ending that could possibly lead to a 4th movie, but with a GOOD ending. Not an ending that would leave us "wtf"

I want the ending to be shocking, but not confusing.

Mistypirate
Lets do something with Terry's comment....Lets just throw it over board savvy?

SarahB
big gringd idea Misty

rlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly wnt 2 see it now, it has 2 be the best out if the trilogy (pirates) cos its the final and normally the 3rd of any trilogy is the best (Lord of the Rings....spiderman for sure- just saw the trailer!)

lets just hope 4 the best ppl!

LovelyOne
it won't disappoint when it comes to story and effects...trust me.

I like it..

but the romance aspect of AWE appears to suck royally I'm going to be honest there

I think thats what they mean when they missed out opportunities to make it better for an audience...its not going to capture as many fans in that respect.

I'm not so into PotC anymore. I'm not obssesed with J/E anymore. I'm sure I'll accept either relationship..but I'm painfully bored with the romance route they appear to be taking in AWE.

having said that..the dudes have a trick up their sleeve when it comes to the ending IMO. I feel they have left it right till the end to give Jack the best ending ever, a twist. Its going to involve Elizabeth too I think.

katelovespirate
hmmm, yeah, its very hard to stay on board and excited about something that seems so unlikely to happen, or something the writers themselves will give no inches on.

they seem slightly disappointed with AWE< but they continue to plaut a kick=ass ending. so I'm assuming a kickass ending, by ANYONE"s standards, does not involve a happy wedding, happy strumpets, or Jack sailing off alone. that's a predictable, boring, already seen ending. If they are serious about the ending being kick ass, and in such a way as could top the high everyone left the theatre after DMC with, then it would have to do with Jack Sparrow, and in a breathtaking, unexpected, meaningful way.

Mistypirate
Lovely, you were gone? confused Where have you been? Well I'm happy you r back big grin
Well I'll be ok if I don't see any romance in AWE as long as they give us a good ending, as long as I don't see a W/E immortal zombie ending, and as long as they give Jack's character a kick ass ending.

katelovespirate
zombie... lmao...

hmmm i'm just not worried. either it will suck, it which case we will be sad but be able to explain just what was wrong with it and then turn our attention to spidey and shreck, or it will rock the universe and we can celebrate. either way life will go on. the writers/director arent total idiots. if they pull a zombie ending, i reckon they will find a way to make it work; if not, we can make fun of them and re-read our own endings. hehe.

IheartPocky
haha i hope they slack off a little on the supernatural stuff...

PirateDiva
Maybe T N T is goin to great legnths to inform us that this is the last movie because the real surprise will be at the end when the movie finishes the words "To be continued" will pop up on screen.... and then the next day they announce that all the cast members had secretly signed a contract to make POTC 4 and filming would begin in a couple weeks!!!! SURPRISE!!!! lol!

hey i can dream can i? big grin

LovelyOne
Originally posted by IheartPocky
haha i hope they slack off a little on the supernatural stuff...

ummmmmm.....laughing out loud not too sure you'll be getting your wish there...

katelovespirate
yeah i know. i dont really think they needed to push the supernatural, dramatic, epic, bittersweet thing. i never felt like that was the important part--- definately not what was propelling the triolgy forward. i keep getting afraid they are going to try to turn this into LOTR or something--- the ultimate showdown b/w good and evil, the wounds and scars the main characters have to take to fight for what they believe in, the final goodbye.... all those things just seem really out of place for this trilogy--- which i always felt was more focused on fun, laughs, adventure, the gray areas of morality, the golden age of piracy, etc. all the supernatural stuff seemed kind of over-disney/superfluous compared to the fun of the characters, they're interactions, their adventures. i dont understand where they are taking it really.

i mean think about film 1... what did people enjoy more? the undead pirates running the ship, or the island scene? the confusing coin calling bits, or Jack and Will swordfighting next to a donkey?

or film 2... what was more impressive--- the CG of the flying dutchman going underwater, or Jack and Liz's final moment and kiss? the kraken taking down the random greek sail boat, or the crew swinging around in giant bone cages?

i'm just saying, i'm afraid if they try to overpower the film with too much supernatural stuff, its going to take away from the characters and fun that made this film a hit to begin with.

Chiki Mina
OMG! LovelyOne was here and I missed it!! sad

lovethemtigers
yes, it's been a long and strange ride since July...it seems like an eternity ago when I first started posting on this forum back in July...and all the great theories and clues and stuff we uncovered in seeing the movie over and over...now the DVD has been out almost a month...I thought I had gotten over my obsession with POTC/DMC...then these past two weeks since Christmas...and watching the DVD from both Pirate Movies I find myself obsessing once again....all the little clues and innuendos have driven me to the brink of insanity....but Like LovelyOne says...I will enjoy the movie...I'm sure it'll be a grand ending to the trilogy...and the ending has to be a great, meaningful and feel good ending for everyone favorite character, Captain Jack Sparrow....the writers eluded to that in the commentaries...the audience wants to leave the movie feeling good about their Hero, their lead character....and there is no doubt after the box office success of 1 and 2 that that character is Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow. That's all I care about, really, is having a great ending for Jack. Johnny deserves it...so I hope he gets whatever it is that he expects Jack to get...and that will make me happy.

I am curious about why Captain Jack wears a fertility symbol on his belt...

lovethemtigers
Terry and tEd are very complicated and hard to read...it was funny how they had different opinions on what was going on when listening to their commentary.....like One of them thinks that the compass in the end is pointing to land, perhaps, and the other one says he believes the compass pointed to where it's been pointing for Jack the entire movie and "i'll leave it at that".....so mysterious......

And I thought it was interesting how they were originally thinking of starting off with the turkish prison...and having Mr. Gibbs say that line about Jack being vexed...and then switching to the scene of Elizabeth in the rain...so that the audience would have no doubt as to what has got Capt. Jack vexed......

I know I say I'll be happy with AWE no matter what happens...but that's just me trying to hype myself up....I still believe deep down inside that Jack and Elizabeth belong together.....and that doesn't mean they should get married.....it just means they belong together......

I had never watched the commentaries from POTC/COTBP until recently...the writers at the end of POTC/COTBP say that at the end of that movie Will has become the true Pirate..the movie Pirate...he is the one true Pirate...he's everything Elizabeth has dreamed of since she was 12 years old....he is brave....dashing...and willing to break the law to help the less fortunate...to break laws that are wrong in the first place....that in the romancitizing of Pirates....he is a rebel with a cause....
but I truly believe that that is what happens to Jack in DMC when he returns to the Pearl...and that's what hits Elizabeth like a ton of bricks...Jack is that Pirate. He is brave, courageous, a rebel...but a good man.....

Also interesting....they say that Jack is always ten steps ahead of everyone else...that he appears to be a stubbling, drunken Pirate...but in fact is a smart and very clever man...he is in fact, the best Pirate Norrington will ever meet ( or so it seems...in the Black Pearl)....

lovethemtigers
My sister was commenting about what a coward Jack appears to be in DMC ....compared to how brave and clever he was in Black Pearl...and so I began to recall that the first time I saw it I thought the same thing...I was disappointed in Jack in that he seemed to be acting more cowardly and not thinking clearly...and then as I watched it several more times...and recalled all of our theories and stuff we chatted about on here for over three months...I told her that Jack is vexed..it's as simple as that....he can think clearly because he is confused by what he feels for Elizabeth....Elizabeth has become Jack's weakness...I think she will be used by Jack's enemies in AWE to lure him into their trap....Jack is so vexed by her he is outdone by her himself at the end of DMC....Ok, I'm sorry....didn't mean to get carried away again in analyzing this crazy movie...but it's off to bed...cuz it's too late for me to still be up....I'll chat later...don't know when....it may be a week or two or never before I return....but no matter what...I'll always be rooting for Jack and Elizabeth to sail off together saying "now show me that horizon" and singing about really bad eggs with their son beside them.....and settling down on some remote Island.....and being Free...free as birds....Sparrow and Swann Forever....Goodnight

Ericadawn
When picking up on the bird names, be very careful. Here's what Ted had to say...

http://forums.keeptothecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=166420#166420

Also, completely OT, but it is what you want, not your heart's desire as Ted elaborates on here:

http://forums.keeptothecode.com/viewtopic.php?t=5615&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Surreal_44
I totally missed that comment by Ted, Erica! That's really interesting. And everyone said I was crazy for linking Will Turner to terns. big grin Vindication at last!!! Sort of, at least. big grin

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Ericadawn
When picking up on the bird names, be very careful. Here's what Ted had to say...

http://forums.keeptothecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=166420#166420
0&postorder=asc&start=0

We talked about that on this thread a while ago. We didn't even know Ted wrote that. Wow big grin We are good.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=424320&highlight=ornithologist+botanist+Will+turner

lovethemtigers
when I said free as birds...I was just repeating what the screenwriters said on their commentaries on the first Pirate movie...when they talk about jack sparrows name....saying he is like a sparrow..he is all about freedom...free as a bird.....

Chiki Mina
He is free as a Sparrow, as a bird.

PirateDiva
MINA eek! Where have Ya BeeN 2day?

Chiki Mina
Another headache. lol It's still slightly there.

PirateDiva
Awwwww well i hope u feel better!

Chiki Mina
Thank You smile

PirateDiva
You know there are a lot of ppl on but why isn't anyone saying anything?

Mistypirate
I know isn't weird, we need to sizzle things up wink

PirateDiva
Yes soooo start sizzleing!!

Mistypirate
I already did, it doesn't seem to be working. wink

PirateDiva
Well what did ya zizzle with!?

Mistypirate
With AWE spoilers, but it's not working. sad

a-k-a-amber
what spoilers?

Chiki Mina
Misty and PirateDiva are confusing me.

They are all "OMG OMG IM HYPER. OOOMMMGGG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!"

And they wont say a thing laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.