Anesthetizing Fruit Flies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
I am doing a genetics lab, and both my partner and me are having a huge amount of difficulty in anesthetizing our fruit flies. We use ether and what I believe is called the "Carolina Anesthetizer." Whenever drugging the flies, we encounter several problems.

1. After setting the flies into the anesthetizer, we wait for several minutes. The flies continue moving around.

2. After setting the flies into the anesthetizer, we wait until they stop moving. They are all dead from over-anesthetization.

3. After setting the flies into the anesthetizer, we wait until they are sluggish. We put them on an index card and most--if not all--of them display signs of life. Then, without warning, they begin convulsing and die.

Ugh. Is there anyone who has some tips for this crap? I'm assuming that most everyone took a course in high school that involved something like this.

Alliance
Didn't you guys use FlyNap?

I believe if the fly flies into the anesthetizer, it dies. Maybe just work on your airseal?

Symmetric Chaos
maybe something is wrong with the machine

Alliance
Its not a machine, its a chemical.

Symmetric Chaos
the anesthetizer is a machine (I think) its possible that that speed or amount of release is off

FeceMan
Originally posted by Alliance
Didn't you guys use FlyNap?

I believe if the fly flies into the anesthetizer, it dies. Maybe just work on your airseal?
No FlyNap, just ether. It's this weird tube thing that has holes in the bottom (too small for fruit flies to get through). On the other side is a sponge onto which 4-5 drops of ether are dripped. There's a plastic part that hooks the sponge to the bottom to keep the ether from escaping all over; the ether evaporates into the chamber.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
the anesthetizer is a machine (I think) its possible that that speed or amount of release is off
Originally posted by FeceMan
No FlyNap, just ether. It's this weird tube thing that has holes in the bottom (too small for fruit flies to get through). On the other side is a sponge onto which 4-5 drops of ether are dripped. There's a plastic part that hooks the sponge to the bottom to keep the ether from escaping all over; the ether evaporates into the chamber.
never mind then

PVS
I am doing a genetics lab, and both my partner and me are having a huge amount of difficulty in anesthetizing our fruit flies. We use ether and what I believe is called the "Carolina Anesthetizer." Whenever drugging the flies, we encounter several problems.

1. After setting the flies into the anesthetizer, we wait for several minutes. The flies continue moving around.

2. After setting the flies into the anesthetizer, we wait until they stop moving. They are all dead from over-anesthetization.

3. After setting the flies into the anesthetizer, we wait until they are sluggish. We put them on an index card and most--if not all--of them display signs of life. Then, without warning, they begin convulsing and die.

Ugh. Is there anyone who has some tips for this crap? I'm assuming that most everyone took a course in high school that involved something like this.

i had to anesthetize a puffer fish to trim its teeth eek!

never found myself having to prepare flies for surgery....come to think of it...WTF!?!?!?!?!?

Alliance

Yeah, I understand.

Ether will probably kill the flies if they get in it...so that explains your death issue.

Are you guys doing this in hoods?

FeceMan
Yeah, I understand.

Ether will probably kill the flies if they get in it...so that explains your death issue.

Are you guys doing this in hoods?
No hoods, and I've no idea on how to "fix" this problem, as this is how the teacher wanted us to do it. Well, without the dying.

Symmetric Chaos
Do you have access to other anesthetics?

FeceMan
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Do you have access to other anesthetics?
Newp. Just ether. Also, we can't take the flies out of the classroom (or else I'd let them sit in the cold for a few).

silver_tears
Sounds like your ether concentration is too high shrug

Alliance
No. If the concentration was too high, they would die instantly. They are not loosing conscious fast enough. Besides, in a HS lab most of these protocols have been standardized again and again.

I'm actually shocked that you're using ether with no sort of protection.

I'd just try to take the flies out as soon as they drop. Ether isn't really the best possibility. Sealing in the ether will obviously knock them out faster and then you cna pull em out faster. If they're not sleepy enough, the worst that happens is it flies away.

I've never used this protocol before so I'm not real familiar with all the details.

Adam_PoE
I'm actually shocked that you're using ether with no sort of protection.

http://sensiblyeclectic.com/news/media/curious_george_ether.JPG_crop.JPG

Captain REX
Ah, devil ether. It makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor function. Blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue. The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interesting because you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it.

Alliance
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
http://sensiblyeclectic.com/news/media/curious_george_ether.JPG_crop.JPG

Exactly...FlyNap becomes StudentNap.

Council#13

I might have missed something because I'm tired, but it looks like they died twice. That ought to be your problem. Can't let 'em get back to life, or they'll fall apar- zzzzzzzz.

docb77
I have to echo the surprise over the use of ether. That stuff is dangerous in more ways than one.

I did fruit fly experiments in college, but we were just using flynap.

Capt_Fantastic
my partner and me

Have you ever thought of just asking politely?

FeceMan
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Have you ever thought of just asking politely?
Figs. I seem to have been caught in a grammatical error.

Also, asking takes the fun out of the "Can I finish before he wakes up?" game.

FeceMan
Random factoid: ether is a poor choice for anesthesia due to its tendency to cause vomiting in the anesthetized.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

docb77
Random factoid: ether is a poor choice for anesthesia due to its tendency to cause vomiting in the anesthetized.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Do fruit flies vomit?

~Forever*Alone~
yeah to eat. they vomit on their food to digest it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.