Potentium: There is no light or dark side

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi_Snake
I've been reading the New Jedi Order and have just finished Rogue Planet and found out about this interesting perspective...I actually like this view of the Force...

I like the idea that the darkness is inside the person no the Force itself...so Anakin wouldn't have really been twisted by the dark side, but instead the Force was twisted by the darkness inside Anakin...

What do you folks think about Potentium?

Alliance
Well, I'ts better than Lucas' philosophy. But I still feel that the force mainly controls people, not people the force. It makes more sense that the light and dark side are the same Force.

Crayshear
Two words/ Darth Sandwhich

Jedi_Snake
The only thing I actually dont like nor agree with about Potentium is the view that evil doesn't exist.

General G
Originally posted by Jedi_Snake
The only thing I actually dont like nor agree with about Potentium is the view that evil doesn't exist.

Evil always exists.

I'm not sure how much I like this theory, its not bad, its not awesome. I'm still considering it...

starwarsfreak34
I totally agree with this theory. That's why i like the NJO so much: it deals with human emtions and conflicts - it makes it so much easier to believe in the characters. And it is also the reason I stand firmly behind Jacen in LotF.

However, I'm slightly inclined to agree with General G <above>... My head hurts at the minute as i'm nearing the end of The Unifying Force again, and have just read the conversation between Luke and Jacen regarding evil actions...

I'm not actually sure that there is anything in the concept of the Potentium - that i can find - that rules out Evil and the whole evil actions thing. Luke is right in one sense: that evil actions exist - yes they do... so therefore evil does - it does... but I thought the debate was about the 'light side' and 'dark side' of the FORCE - not people. so therefore, skywalker's argument is moot - he's not even on the same brainlength as Jacen and Sekot at that point.

i need to go away now and do something about this - it bugs me so much the whole thing and i want to understand it better (now i know who jacen felt pre-Traitor)... I've got to start a petition for him

Captain REX
The Potentium Theory is a pile of shite. There's the Light Side. There's the Dark Side. Lucas set it up that way. That's the way it is. Tada, EU's lame!

darthsecretus30
That I agree with ..so would supershadow too ..hmm lol there was only one good EU book ...and that was "Shawdows of teh Empire" ...

MaceWindu
So long as there are some characters who still believe in a light side and dark side, I don't think I really mind it. It makes sense that the jedi religion would have certain differences spring up over time, so I like that aspect of it.

Ushgarak
Except it's not a relgiin. It's based on insights into universal truth.

The Jedi are wise; they know their business.

Tangible God
I tend to view the EU version of the Force as nothing but a tool used by different ideologies. How the Force is used depends solely on the intentions and persona of the person controlling it.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Except it's not a relgiin. It's based on insights into universal truth.

The Jedi are wise; they know their business.

Didnt a couple of people in ANH call it a religion while talking to Vader? Like Tarkin and the dumbass who got choked?

Captain REX
Hence why he is the dumbass who got choked...

Alliance
No...The force is very religious in nature.

"universal truth" doesn't exist.

The allusions to religion are undeniable. The Jedi TEMPLE, a council of elders, a devoted lifstyle, proper dress, a god-like deity...its all there.

Darth Subjekt
see...

exanda kane
Originally posted by Alliance

The allusions to religion are undeniable. The Jedi TEMPLE, a council of elders, a devoted lifstyle, proper dress, a god-like deity...its all there.

Except that it isn't a religion. Of course, it's stylised like one, for instance a temple, what what on earth are you going to call the ancient headquarters of a bunch of magical knights? What else are they going to wear? They may be many, many allusions, but that doesn't mean they are a religion. They don't send out missionaries into the streets to preach sermons about the Force do they?

Ushgarak it right, they rely on the "universal truths" of the galaxy.

Tarkin and the other members of the Imperial Command refer to the Jedi/Sith as a religion, which of course is a throw off term, its dialogue and we have to realise that these men, in context, hate the Jedi and saw them as a cause for the decay of the Republic, among other things.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Alliance

But their views are not based on faith, but on, as I sa, universal truth and wisdom. It has the trappings of a religion but it really isn't one. Nor is the Force a 'god-like' deity, weird description as that is anyway as all deities are god-like, that being what the word means.

And once more, as you so often do, you are confusing fiction with truth. Universal truth might not exist in real life, but it does in Star Wars. They are the absolute and objective good guys. GL says as much and when it comes to his own creation GL cannot be questioned.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Tangible God
I tend to view the EU version of the Force as nothing but a tool used by different ideologies. How the Force is used depends solely on the intentions and persona of the person controlling it.

Well I tend to use the view the films and GL has, which trumps any vague nonsense the EU puts out.

Like I have always said, if you want to create a setting where your own views will become the default, then create your own darn setting. But Star Wars is GL's baby, and other writers can have all the opinions they like- GL still sets the facts.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well I tend to use the view the films and GL has, which trumps any vague nonsense the EU puts out.

Like I have always said, if you want to create a setting where your own views will become the default, then create your own darn setting. But Star Wars is GL's baby, and other writers can have all the opinions they like- GL still sets the facts. Lol, I never said I dismiss it, I just said I prefer it.

Just like how I prefer Thrawn's amazing mind over Jar jar's innovative one.

starwarsfreak34
Originally posted by Captain REX
The Potentium Theory is a pile of shite. There's the Light Side. There's the Dark Side. Lucas set it up that way. That's the way it is. Tada, EU's lame!

Yes, but Lucas is a s**t head who doesn't even LIKE his own work - hell ,he can't even pronounce half the names right! The only thing i like about GL's Star Wars IS Star Wars - as without it i don't think i'd be the person i am without having the books to read.

GL created a STORY, he doesn't care about it - he's a selfish little so n so who feels nothing for SW fans, and indeed just SW... his views on light and dark worked for Luke and Anakin - but only because he made them work for the sake of the story. even then you could question the whole L/D thing.

Why didn't luke open up the com channel as he was flying down the trench and warn all the innocent workers and scientists who were only doing their job (as the Empire itself wasn' evil , but the Emperor was).. why didn't he warn them what he was going to do and at least give them a fighting chance? How many did he murder that day?oh, yeah, it was because GL wrote that there was a certain time before the DS would fire on Yavin 4 and obliterate the fledgling Rebel Alliance. Luke could still have issues a warning at the cost of the Alliance - but, OMG, where would THAT leave us? No princess Leia, no C-3PO, no General Rieekan (SP?), no Dodonna, no freedom fighters. THE END.

See? if GL hadn't have used L v D then there would be no story - bad guys win.

kamikz
First of all, I'm sure it has already been explained that no rebels or innocents died on the death star.

Second, who would have thought of that anyway? A few more minutes and all the rebels in the galaxy pretty much would have died and hope had died forever. Damn, Luke couldn't even be sure he would do it, he was the single fighter left on that place with Darth Vader and the rest of the imperial fleet in the air, there wasn't that big a chance for success....

exanda kane
The whole light side/dark side concept is the only part of GL's "stamp down" on EU misgivings I like.

starwarsfreak34
Originally posted by exanda kane
The whole light side/dark side concept is the only part of GL's "stamp down" on EU misgivings I like.

How do you mean? Do you mean you like the idea of Light and Dark not existing as seperate entities in the Force - or do you like GL stamping down on this?

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by Jedi_Snake
I've been reading the New Jedi Order and have just finished Rogue Planet and found out about this interesting perspective...I actually like this view of the Force...

I like the idea that the darkness is inside the person no the Force itself...so Anakin wouldn't have really been twisted by the dark side, but instead the Force was twisted by the darkness inside Anakin...

What do you folks think about Potentium?

I like this view of the Force better. It makes for great storytelling as wellas debates.

starwarsfreak34
Originally posted by kamikz
First of all, I'm sure it has already been explained that no rebels or innocents died on the death star.

Second, who would have thought of that anyway? A few more minutes and all the rebels in the galaxy pretty much would have died and hope had died forever. Damn, Luke couldn't even be sure he would do it, he was the single fighter left on that place with Darth Vader and the rest of the imperial fleet in the air, there wasn't that big a chance for success....

oh come on! of course there are bound to be innocents. what about all those stormtroopers who are just earning a living, keeping the galaxy safe. They were not evil, the EMPEROR WAS. I bet half of those stormtroopers on the DS didnt want to be there, or that half of them were fresh out of the academy and hadn't even killed anyone! And are you SERIOUSLY telling me that there were NO technicians on hand on that monstrosity to make sure nothing broke down? yeah, right.

And as for the comlink scenario, fair enough - and of course the fundamental flaw is also that there really WOULDNT be enough time. But the rebels could have announced their intentions and have given people the chance to flea

Tangible God
God, I hate hearing that f*ckin' argument:

"The Rebels were bad guys, if they really cared, they wouldn't have killed all those innocents on the Death Stars."

Really? Wow, well then... Empire all the way, woot!

Darth_Glentract
I think the Potentium view is interesting but wrong, just like the Jedi view as of PT. You can say GL said that there is only Light and Dark, but I don't think that. And in part I agree with what starwarsfreak34 is saying. Lucas is an idiot. But he's still the boss of SW. However, when did he ever deny the Potentium? Never!

LORDSIDIOUS01
Love the New Jedi Order view.

starwarsfreak34
God, I hate hearing that f*ckin' argument:

"The Rebels were bad guys, if they really cared, they wouldn't have killed all those innocents on the Death Stars."

Really? Wow, well then... Empire all the way, woot!

i'm not sayin that at all - the rebels were the good guys. if would have been different though if the empire was ruled by someone who cared for the people and not their own power. all i am sayin is that things aren't as clean-cut as Light and Dark.

starwarsfreak34
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
I think the Potentium view is interesting but wrong, just like the Jedi view as of PT. You can say GL said that there is only Light and Dark, but I don't think that. And in part I agree with what starwarsfreak34 is saying. Lucas is an idiot. But he's still the boss of SW. However, when did he ever deny the Potentium? Never!

quite true - and i'll be the first to admit that the Potentium does have some flaws there.... that's the other things that galls me about GL though - if the EU is nothing to do with the films then why does he stick his big head into the pot and say 'right, this can't happen, or i don't want this to happen'? he did it with Star by Star and said that Anakin had to die insead of Jacen (because he didn't want the story of two Anakins being told at the same time <and in the sublevels of that we hear 'and falling to the dark side, too...'> and he continues to do this with things like yoda's species - expressedly forbidding the writers from touching on this time and time again. if the EU is a load of rubbish to him, then why does it matter so much?

and, no, i don't think he had EVER denied the Potentium - until he does, stuf the L/D side view. the Potentium makes more sense.

Tangible God
Originally posted by starwarsfreak34
i'm not sayin that at all - the rebels were the good guys. if would have been different though if the empire was ruled by someone who cared for the people and not their own power. all i am sayin is that things aren't as clean-cut as Light and Dark. They never are, but it's not as clear cut as "There is NO Dark or Light" either.

My own view is that there is one Force, and the user himself determines how it's used.

starwarsfreak34
They never are, but it's not as clear cut as "There is NO Dark or Light" either.

My own view is that there is one Force, and the user himself determines how it's used.

then why the hell are we arguing. the point i've been trying to make is that there is only ONE Force, and that the only darkness is that which stems from the user. the point i'm arguing against is that the Force does not take sides, therefore no dark side 'of the Force' and no light side ' of the Force'. of course there IS darkness and goodness in PEOPLE. it's what you do with the force that counts - my point is that why can't someone use force lightening or other coined 'dark powers' and still remain good?

it's like saying a Jedi is evil for having a crimson lightsaber blade - simply because crimson has been associated with the bad guys in the films.

exanda kane
If there is only one force, and that it is the user itself whic hthe darkness stems from, can someone explain why the dark side of it is so corruptive, and so controlling over the user, for instance, Anakin. That's what I do not understand, does that self destructive self-controlling power come from the user itself?

starwarsfreak34
Originally posted by exanda kane
If there is only one force, and that it is the user itself whic hthe darkness stems from, can someone explain why the dark side of it is so corruptive, and so controlling over the user, for instance, Anakin. That's what I do not understand, does that self destructive self-controlling power come from the user itself?

again, it's not the dark side of the Force - but of the person's own darkness. in answer to your question: look at it like a drug. it's the power that it brings; the user becomes addicted to it, and needs to feel it again and again. Anakin wasnt strong enough to resist in the end.

exanda kane
But isn't the the Force evident in every living thing in midichlorians? So saying the the darkness comes from the user could be seen as the darkness coming from the Force inside the user? Therefore it is the dark side of the force, in that user, but at the same time, a darkness inside the user.

The way I look at it, it's only small technicalities that seperate the distinctions.

Tangible God
then why the hell are we arguing. the point i've been trying to make is that there is only ONE Force, and that the only darkness is that which stems from the user. the point i'm arguing against is that the Force does not take sides, therefore no dark side 'of the Force' and no light side ' of the Force'. of course there IS darkness and goodness in PEOPLE. it's what you do with the force that counts - my point is that why can't someone use force lightening or other coined 'dark powers' and still remain good?

it's like saying a Jedi is evil for having a crimson lightsaber blade - simply because crimson has been associated with the bad guys in the films. ........Who's arguing? I'm not.

Everyone has the potential to be "dark." It's the experiences, intentions, and choices of the Force-user which determines whether that darkness takes hold. And when it does, they touch the Dark Side of the Force.

You know, the word "Side" really does make it seem as if it's one Force and Light and Dark compose it. Just like how there's one planet, and it's composed of a North and South. It's the person himself which determines where he's located on the planet.

starwarsfreak34
um - thats were we're still arguing i think. it's the dark side of themselves they touch. and your analogy is self-defeating; with a planet, there is the middle area, the terminus line if you will. and this is where other people argue, because they dont think there is a middle line with the Force because GL has said there is the Light and Dark.

the problem people have is differentiating between using the Force and doing good, no matter how the Force is used. simply using lightening does not make one dark - and it is not born of the Dark Side. my favourite scenario for this is thus:

imagine you're a Jedi, and you're on a mission to rescue some hostages being held on a convoy ship or whatnot. you've infiltrated the enemy and there are all the hostages. the bad guys cannot see you, but you can see them - and you see that no matter what happens, innocent life will be lost.... unless you can somehow take out all the bad guys at the same time.

if this was me, i'd use Force lightening to send a spark into each of the terrorists and neutralise them. does this make me a bad person? have i gone to the dark side? no on both accounts. i've saved all the hostages, rid the galaxy of some terrorists.... and i'm still the same person.

i'll say it again, people confuse light and dark simple because of the powers used in the film. you see someone like sidious use lightening and you think 'oooo dark side' because we know he is EVIL, so was assocciate that power with GL's dark side. on the other hand, i see Darth Tyrannus as a good guy who uses lightening - as i believe that he genuinely wanted a better galaxy, but was misguided and manipulated by palpatine. as Ki-Adi Mundi said 'he's a political idealist'.

exanda kane

imagine you're a Jedi, and you're on a mission to rescue some hostages being held on a convoy ship or whatnot. you've infiltrated the enemy and there are all the hostages. the bad guys cannot see you, but you can see them - and you see that no matter what happens, innocent life will be lost.... unless you can somehow take out all the bad guys at the same time.

if this was me, i'd use Force lightening to send a spark into each of the terrorists and neutralise them. does this make me a bad person? have i gone to the dark side? no on both accounts. i've saved all the hostages, rid the galaxy of some terrorists.... and i'm still the same person.

I'm sorry but a "Jedi", imagine they are of the Order, perhaps it could even be Obi-Wan Kenobi, just to make ends meet, would not unleash lightning on a group of unaware victims, it goes against the Jedi code for a reason; it takes life.

The scenario I would expect would of course, have that particular Jedi cause some disturbance to divert attention to something else: a distraction perhaps, or maybe even just make all the terrorists fall asleep on unconscious. Or, hell, could just use some Jedi tricks of the mind on them all.

It is that recklessness of the user that causes the dark side of the force to take control, that need or want to take risks, whether they are necessary at all. from this conclusion it makes me feel that the Force is not neutral, there is definetly a ying and a yang. However it is the mind and heart of the practioner which allows the user to be more susceptible to one side of the Force than the other.

starwarsfreak34
ok, now you're nit-picking. first of all, obi-wan has killed before. did he not kill Darth Maul? and before you go ahead and say, 'but Maul was a Sith', does this make the terrorist any less evil? second, it's been said time and time again that mind-tricks only work on the weakminded, and is not as effective when there are too many people, especially as some are more strong-minded than others.

so for the sake of nit-picking - let's say that all the terrorists and the hostages are so close together that a simple distraction would not be enough to save everyone or to divert the attention of ALL the terrorists at once. lets say, again for the sake of nit-picking, that this Jedi is in a scenario - ANY scenario - where the only option is to take the life of all the terrorists/bad guys and save the lives of all the hostages. Does he a) take the most effective means of disposing of the bad guys all at once, with no risk of collateral damage to the hostages.... or b) sit back and let corrupt politicians barter for lives, which could result in the death of a handful or all of the hostages.

stick out tongue I can be picky too smile

starwarsfreak34
^ btw, option 'b' will not end with the survival of all the hostages, i can assure you stick out tongue lol

exanda kane
I'm sorry, but this whole discussion has been solely versed with nitpicking on particular variants and obstacles, it's nothing new ot the argument, and I can assure you, you still have not covered all your bases.

What if Obi-Wan was to use the Force to send the convoy into a false alert or similar. Perhaps get the word out to Republic Security Forces to distract them and divert there attention, maybe just pull out all the
weapons from there hands;even if you care the silly superhero Jedi talents, unlike me, he deflects fire with his hands in the Clone Wars, he could do that.

Obi-Wan is a Jedi and will do what he can to sustain live, however evil or corrupt it is, and when there's a Jedi around nothing is impossible. The Maul incident occured when Obi-Wan was young and reckless, and in an act of revenge, he called upon the dark side of the force, not some darkness within himself, to fight back against Maul, and in that instant, he was no longer a Jedi, he was no longer in control, and could not uphold his principles and spare Maul's life.

Plus, Obi-Wan's shown no displeasure at hacking off a few limbs when the need is there smile

starwarsfreak34
revenge is a human emtion - not an emotion of the force. therefore what Obi called upon was his own darkness. doing this broke down his inhibitions and thus gave him the power to overcome maul.

as for the rest, your point is taken. i think we should detract from this line stick out tongue lol. it is getting a bit OTT

starwarsfreak34
^^^ of course, all this is part of the fun - i'll have a think and see what other limitations i can put on stick out tongue lol

Tangible God
I'll start detracting from that line.

If any well trained Jedi Knight used raw emotions to fuel their abilities in a situation in which, using said abilities will ultimately do good, then there's nothing wrong. The drawback lies in the will power of that Jedi.

If that Jedi wants to keep doing more and more good, and finds that using those raw emotions really helps him out, there's nothing wrong. However, if that Jedi is easily susceptible to manipulation by his own darkness, then there's trouble. He could become arrogant, over-confident, he could take on a superior attitude. Like Exar-Kun, or Malak, or Vader.

This would only happen if the will power of that Jedi is defeated by his own use of the Dark Side. The Dark Side is not inherently evil, only the User determines the alignment.

starwarsfreak34
again, i agree with you in this - but where i think we still depart ways is on the dark side issue. for my own peace of mind, are you using Dark Side as a reference and to make a point, or because you believe that the Force takes sides. i'm getting terribly confused now sad ; i admit i still use this term myself, but when i'm refering to the dark side of a person

Tangible God
again, i agree with you in this - but where i think we still depart ways is on the dark side issue. for my own peace of mind, are you using Dark Side as a reference and to make a point, or because you believe that the Force takes sides. i'm getting terribly confused now sad ; i admit i still use this term myself, but when i'm refering to the dark side of a person When I say "Dark Side" in capitals, I'm referring to the Dark Side of the Force.

Captain REX
This thread sucks, and I smite all ye who support Potentium or any other alternate view...

In response to Exanda Kane's example of Jedi killing Sith and so on...

The Sith are evil. The Jedi must kill the Sith, that's their goal. If they let the Sith live, the Sith create even more chaos and hell than they already do.

There wasn't a Rebellion for no reason...

And the Dark Side is inherently evil. EU misses that point entirely. Using the Dark Side will take you to the Dark Side, if you use it for your own greedy purposes and so on. Otherwise, you're not going to be using the Dark Side...

starwarsfreak34
This thread sucks, and I smite all ye who support Potentium or any other alternate view...

The Sith are evil. The Jedi must kill the Sith, that's their goal. If they let the Sith live, the Sith create even more chaos and hell than they already do.

And the Dark Side is inherently evil. EU misses that point entirely. Using the Dark Side will take you to the Dark Side, if you use it for your own greedy purposes and so on. Otherwise, you're not going to be using the Dark Side...

um, first off: the 'EU', in its entire sense, did not miss this point - ur thinking of the NJO and LotF, as most books before them stick with the light and dark view. second, i do not believe they miss the point at all - as the point they make is that evil exists, but THE DARK SIDE ''OF THE FORCE'' DOES NOT.

people can be good or bad, but as (and i'm using this only because i've came straight from her FAQ page and saw this), as JK Rowling says - no one is wholly good or wholly evil.

i believe that the dark side OF THE FORCE does not exist as the Force is not a living person, and is not capabal of making conscious decisions regarding light and dark. it does NOT say, 'oh, well i'm going to split myself into two little pools, one light and one dark, and whoever wants to do good can draw on me from the light pool and whoever wants to do evil can draw on me from the dark pool' - its been described time again as a river or a flow, and so that's why i've used this analogy (if you can call it that stick out tongue)

a better analogy would be to think of it EXACTLY as a river, a river that does not have a beginning or end (for the sake of argument) and just FLOWS - it does not do anything other than flow, in one continuous direction. this is the only way it appears to me when it is described as a river, and at no point does it ever meander off in opposite directions. as i said, it just EXISTS.

oh, and if the purpose of the Jedi was only to kill the Sith then why the hell did Luke go through the effort of trying not to kill Vader and instead try find the goodness in him?

exanda kane

That was not my point. That was my example of a scenario that had already been laid out by other posters.

Tangible God
um, first off: the 'EU', in its entire sense, did not miss this point - ur thinking of the NJO and LotF, as most books before them stick with the light and dark view. second, i do not believe they miss the point at all - as the point they make is that evil exists, but THE DARK SIDE ''OF THE FORCE'' DOES NOT.

people can be good or bad, but as (and i'm using this only because i've came straight from her FAQ page and saw this), as JK Rowling says - no one is wholly good or wholly evil.

i believe that the dark side OF THE FORCE does not exist as the Force is not a living person, and is not capabal of making conscious decisions regarding light and dark. it does NOT say, 'oh, well i'm going to split myself into two little pools, one light and one dark, and whoever wants to do good can draw on me from the light pool and whoever wants to do evil can draw on me from the dark pool' - its been described time again as a river or a flow, and so that's why i've used this analogy (if you can call it that stick out tongue)

a better analogy would be to think of it EXACTLY as a river, a river that does not have a beginning or end (for the sake of argument) and just FLOWS - it does not do anything other than flow, in one continuous direction. this is the only way it appears to me when it is described as a river, and at no point does it ever meander off in opposite directions. as i said, it just EXISTS.

oh, and if the purpose of the Jedi was only to kill the Sith then why the hell did Luke go through the effort of trying not to kill Vader and instead try find the goodness in him? Well it WAS his long lost daddy.

This is essentially how I view it. It's the person them self that determines how the Force is used, for either good or evil. Certain aspects of the Force which are easier to learn and manipulate appeal to the bad guy more often. That, and learning certain aspects of the Force can turn a person bad. That isn't to say that the Force itself is the evil one though.

starwarsfreak34
That isn't to say that the Force itself is the evil one though.

duh! thank you.... but if you believe this then why do you insist on saying the dark side of the Force - and this goes for other people, too...

Tangible God
duh! thank you.... but if you believe this then why do you insist on saying the dark side of the Force - and this goes for other people, too... Simply a term from out of habit. There is a "side," or certain aspects of the Force which when used by someone appeals to their base instincts and nature. Their "dark" side.

starwarsfreak34
Simply a term from out of habit. There is a "side," or certain aspects of the Force which when used by someone appeals to their base instincts and nature. Their "dark" side.

either this whole thing really confuses me, or you actually make sense. yeah, i can see it - and i can understand people still calling it the dark side....... but you make it seem a lot closer to what i believe, so i like your explanation stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.