Episode I: difference of opionon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mace Skywalker
Now I know there is a lot of people out there who hate or dislike Episode 1 for... well hundreds of difference reasons. I do not mind the movie myself. It is bearable at times, dependign on my mood. It is so bad other times that I just laugh, or scoff or whatever. But mostly the way I get through this movie is through comedy. My brother and I have a little running gag that George Lucas is a Racist lol(just to be funny, not seriously) and that there are many horriblly racist things in conjoncture with episode one, or star wars in general for that matter, in the latter episodes anyway.

Lando is the only Black person in the original trilogy. Obviously the gungans(Meesah Jar Jar Binks, Me sah dance around and...) are a bit controversial, but then again what isnt, depending on how you see things, or choose to see things. Everyone is different right?

Well one day i was looking, wherever and found many articles about episode 1 and how others, fans, crtics thought many of the same things, and for different reasons, for the same reasons, based on whatever speculation. Now, my brother and I were just joking to pass the time, nto serious at all. But ive heard some damn good theories, and though i cant take most seriously, some are intriging. Obviously others think what we were thinking, so how many think along those lines when it comes down to episode 2?

Alliance
I don't. Criticisms of racism in Star Wars are rather unfounded.

As to Lucas' personal opinons, I don't know enough to judge.

Mace Skywalker
That is what I often say. I mean besides to be stupid and funny I didnt think anyone thought seriously about things like this.

queeq
I don't think there is racism in Star Wars. If there is any, then I'm sure it's unintentional. Or should I say: Georgie issa uhmmm ... clumsy. There are so many things in the PT in general that were not though through very well, this racist connotation that people have could just be the result of that.

I wonder though, if Jar Jar was played by a white guy, would these allegations of racism still exist? If not, then they are certainly unfounded.

Alliance
Ahmed Best was unfortunately given the freedom to create his own character.

queeq
So Ahmed Best is a racist?

chinabing
I like Episode I, very much. But it was criticized for stereotyping some of the aliens: Jar Jar, the Japanese-charactoristic Tray-Fed guys, and the slave-owner. I tend to think those criticism were without merit.

snoopdogg
Mace Windu has his own light saber color, then he got to fight Palps. Lucas liked Jackson though.

queeq
laughing out loud

Jack Daniels
george lucas is racist.....he doesnt like vodka which is white....but prefers crown which is brown.....er vice versa ...hehe....who cares hes rich enuff to have whatever opinions he wants....IMO he should stick to jack daniels which makes you color blind

queeq
You are drunk... go to sleep.

Jack Daniels
u know Im gonna take your advice...L8R all !oh tell the folks passed out at the milk bar I said high or bye er whatever...lol....L8R

queeq
Sure. Cya.

Ushgarak
The reason the OT is rather sparsse on colour is not racism but it is because- despite the space ships- Star Wars is very old fashioned, in the Western European tradition. It is based on the Princess/Knight/Wizard fairy tales, which obviously were all white phenomena.

I mean, just look at Lord of the Rings! It's a matter of the culture behind them. Likewise, there are plenty of ancestral African and Asian style stories without a white person in sight, and this is no problem at all.

More modern tales will be more multicultural- check the Matrix.

queeq
All that politically correct BS.

In Spike Lee's early joints there were hradly any white folk. No one called that racist...

Alliance

queeq
Yeah, politically correctness...

Lando was black.

sithsaber408
I get what the thread starter is saying though....

I'd often found myself laughing at the bumbling Jamaican fool Jar-Jar, the cowardly, greedy Japanese Nute Gunray and Rune Haako, and of course the tough, griseled old Jewish Watto, who says: "Mind tricks don't work on me... only money."

Course, I always thought that it was just me reading into things. stick out tongue

queeq
Heck no... it is all kinda obvious, but it is more satire (not very funny satire!), kiddie style... I'm sure no harm was meant.

chinabing
And Jabba is an affront to slugs everywhere. What you call laziness I call living!

queeq
laughing out loud

The fat will inherit the earth or something?

Darth Subjekt
Well there will always be something for someone to b!tch about. The people that call others racist are usually the racist ones themselves, and go looking for anything that can be construed as racist.

Is BET racist? Not the people running it, but the concept itself? No.
What if white people made WET (white entertainment television), white people would be racist, right? Absolutely. In my high school, we had black clubs, Asian clubs and a Latino club, and then some white students started an all white club. Needless to say, the club was broken up and the student suspended for 5 days each for "perpetuating racist activity". Guess what color our asst principal was...

Anyway, Lucas has too much to lose by blatantly inserting racism into the global phenomenon that is Star Wars. I don't think anything is racist about SW, and it's just people trying to hate on Lucas and stir shit up and make a name for themselves.

And yes, I think all the overweight Americans in the country should sue GL due to Jabba's poor image on fat people. And gangsters for that matter. Capone would turn in his grave.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Well there will always be something for someone to b!tch about. The people that call others racist are usually the racist ones themselves, and go looking for anything that can be construed as racist.

Is BET racist? Not the people running it, but the concept itself? No.
What if white people made WET (white entertainment television), white people would be racist, right? Absolutely. In my high school, we had black clubs, Asian clubs and a Latino club, and then some white students started an all white club. Needless to say, the club was broken up and the student suspended for 5 days each for "perpetuating racist activity". Guess what color our asst principal was...

Anyway, Lucas has too much to lose by blatantly inserting racism into the global phenomenon that is Star Wars. I don't think anything is racist about SW, and it's just people trying to hate on Lucas and stir shit up and make a name for themselves.

And yes, I think all the overweight Americans in the country should sue GL due to Jabba's poor image on fat people. And gangsters for that matter. Capone would turn in his grave. I think i love you. Platonically of course.

Or I could always sue GL for turning me gay because of the sexual controversy he purposefully created with Leia kissing Luke.

Rampant ox
And yes, I think all the overweight Americans in the country should sue GL due to Jabba's poor image on fat people. And gangsters for that matter. Capone would turn in his grave.

Lol.

queeq
Originally posted by Tangible God
I think i love you. Platonically of course.

Or I could always sue GL for turning me gay because of the sexual controversy he purposefully created with Leia kissing Luke.

What an odd reason to turn gay...

Marxman
Wow this turned into a white power thread pretty quickly. White people complain so much about a double standard, and its usually the ones that don't accept the fact that there is actual racism in this world. I'm not saying minorities don't harbor racism for whites. I'm mixed and have gotten the short end of the stick from both sides. What I'm saying is trying to say there isn't racism from white people is just trying to make yourselves the victim. no How about instead of arguing about who's the more racist people we can all try and bring tolerance and understanding to all races. yes

But back on topic. My little brother, my best friend and I also fooled around with the obvious stereotypes that Lucas was trying to bring forth in the movies. I laughed hard when Watto said the thing about only money having affect on him then laughed even harder when nobody else in the theater got it. Jar-Jar and all the Gungans are supposed to be the black southerners and the Naboo the northern elitsts. Down south, down underwater, up north, up on the surface. Haha, get it?! I attributed the Asian accents of the Trade-Fed Nemoidians to just being Asian actors. They didn't really show any steroetypes beyond the accent.
The real question is if Lucas had a run in with some prototype robot as a child. I mean people HATE droids in Star Wars, OT, PT, and EU. I mean, in ANH, when 3PO is explaining his functions to Uncle Owen, Owen is pretty much like "Ok, stfu I get the idea." And Luke shows so much contempt for the droids until 3PO says something about the rebellion. And every bar has some sort of No Droids rule. Is George Lucas harboring prejudice towards advancing technology? huh

On a side note: Darth Subjekt, maybe you should try to rename the club. European-American club sounds like a club that will explore the differences in culture of the European nations. The All-White club sounds like a white supremacy club. wink

queeq
And the All-Black club does not?

Marxman
Well he didn't say it was the All-Black club. I'm pretty sure its probably called the African-American club and I doubt their purpose is to promote black nationalism but instead educate on African culture. At least that's how it was in my high school.

queeq
All very sensitive indeed...

Darth Subjekt
Firstly, I'm not completely white, as I've said before. And no it wasn't called the black club, and the other wasn't called the white club, neither of which were mine to claim responsibility over. And what i am saying is, the people who b!tch about racism the most, are usually the ones who are the most racist. And i can say that on both sides of the spectrum. Black comedians talk shit about "crackas" all the time, but what if white people did the same in reverse? What if a movie was made and named "Black men can't read", it'd be racist. I just don't see why white people are always made out to be the evil ones and the racist ones in any situation where race is involved. Since i look "white" I'll use myself as an example...why should i feel guilty about other white people who are racist, and do and say racist shit, when there's more racist black people in the world, ratio wise? Remember the LA riots? What did Reginald Denny to deserve a brick to the face? He wasn't a coke and crack addict speeding down the highway who was resisting arrest. He was a man driving home. Everyone makes themselves out to be the victims. I don't care who you are. I've been called an abomination for being multiracial. Its been said that if you have one drop of black blood in you that you're black...well what about one drop of white blood? Are you white? No, of course not. It's all so ridiculously stupid that it's not even funny. Last time i checked, no black person alive today, was a slave, and no white person was a slave owner. So why not squash it and learn from each other? My parents did.

And no, it wasn't to learn the African culture, cause unless you were born there, you're not African. Being called African American is perpetuating the cycle by further segregating yourself from your country. They were an all black club who wanted every month to be a black history month. Stating that the black athletes were in fact the better ones and should start an all black league of sports. Let me ask you, if there was an all white college, who wouldn't accept any other race based on said race, would that be a racist school?

on a lighter note, how did they not display any Asian stereotypes? they helped design the ultimate technology, lol...sound like an Asian to me, j/k....i wonder if the Death Star was tagged with Sony anywhere....

queeq
I hope not.

Tangible God
Firstly, I'm not completely white, as I've said before. And no it wasn't called the black club, and the other wasn't called the white club, neither of which were mine to claim responsibility over. And what i am saying is, the people who b!tch about racism the most, are usually the ones who are the most racist. And i can say that on both sides of the spectrum. Black comedians talk shit about "crackas" all the time, but what if white people did the same in reverse? What if a movie was made and named "Black men can't read", it'd be racist. I just don't see why white people are always made out to be the evil ones and the racist ones in any situation where race is involved. Since i look "white" I'll use myself as an example...why should i feel guilty about other white people who are racist, and do and say racist shit, when there's more racist black people in the world, ratio wise? Remember the LA riots? What did Reginald Denny to deserve a brick to the face? He wasn't a coke and crack addict speeding down the highway who was resisting arrest. He was a man driving home. Everyone makes themselves out to be the victims. I don't care who you are. I've been called an abomination for being multiracial. Its been said that if you have one drop of black blood in you that you're black...well what about one drop of white blood? Are you white? No, of course not. It's all so ridiculously stupid that it's not even funny. Last time i checked, no black person alive today, was a slave, and no white person was a slave owner. So why not squash it and learn from each other? My parents did.

And no, it wasn't to learn the African culture, cause unless you were born there, you're not African. Being called African American is perpetuating the cycle by further segregating yourself from your country. They were an all black club who wanted every month to be a black history month. Stating that the black athletes were in fact the better ones and should start an all black league of sports. Let me ask you, if there was an all white college, who wouldn't accept any other race based on said race, would that be a racist school?

on a lighter note, how did they not display any Asian stereotypes? they helped design the ultimate technology, lol...sound like an Asian to me, j/k....i wonder if the Death Star was tagged with Sony anywhere.... I applaud you good sir.

Darth Subjekt
don't applaud, just throw money...

queeq
Again?

Marxman

on a lighter note, how did they not display any Asian stereotypes? they helped design the ultimate technology, lol...sound like an Asian to me, j/k....i wonder if the Death Star was tagged with Sony anywhere.... I feel you. I too am mixed, half white, half Puerto Rican and grew up in a predominantly black city, and have felt the sting of racism from all sides. You're missing my point. I put blame on no one race. However, victimizing yourselves isn't going to make it any better. Victimizing yourselves only gives you reason to retaliate, which just keeps this vicious cycle going. I've asked myself the same questions you're asking but the real question is, why do you need it? There may not be any official all white colleges but there are plenty of colleges that are pretty damn close. Plenty of comedians make fun of stereotypes of every race. It seems the "victims" focus in on the jokes about their particular race. Have you seen White men can't jump"? Hardly a movie that demeans white people. You say you want to squash but all I'm seeing is more racial tension.
Originally posted by Tangible God
I applaud you good sir. You're late for your KKK meeting.

Darth Subjekt
not at all, i was just trying to prove a point. In that movie for instance, they called him everything but a white man, clowned him about his clothes, speech, and skin. OK, big deal right? If that had been in reverse the lack community would have cried foul and "victimized" themselves, thusly perpetuation the cycle, as we both have said. If Chris Rock calls a white guy a honky or cracker, its funny...if (insert random white comedian here) calls a black guy a n!gger or something, he's a racist piece of shit who needs to be castrated. All I'm saying is pay attention to the ones who are actually making victims of themselves, but using misdirection to place the focus on the other man. I don't identify more with my white side anymore than my black, but i feel for both and stick up for both in these situations when called for. I can call a spade a spade (no pun intended, seriously)

queeq
I forgot what it was called, but that remake of Heaven Can Wait with I think Chris Rock actually addresses that point. He starts wisecracking as a stand-up comedian in a white man's body.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Marxman
You're late for your KKK meeting. You are a racist sir. You're discriminating against us non-blended whites who speak out on what Subjekt has said. That is racist and discriminatory.

Or useful in the long run.

queeq
laughing out loud

Alliance
erm

queeq
Alliance is not amused.

Mace Skywalker
Originally posted by queeq
So Ahmed Best is a racist?

No, he's just a seel out, lol. So the argument goes. Think ive done well here. It's great to have gotten a response and see what people think. Great conversation.

queeq
Welcome, dude

Marxman
not at all, i was just trying to prove a point. In that movie for instance, they called him everything but a white man, clowned him about his clothes, speech, and skin. OK, big deal right? If that had been in reverse the lack community would have cried foul and "victimized" themselves, thusly perpetuation the cycle, as we both have said. If Chris Rock calls a white guy a honky or cracker, its funny...if (insert random white comedian here) calls a black guy a n!gger or something, he's a racist piece of shit who needs to be castrated. All I'm saying is pay attention to the ones who are actually making victims of themselves, but using misdirection to place the focus on the other man. I don't identify more with my white side anymore than my black, but i feel for both and stick up for both in these situations when called for. I can call a spade a spade (no pun intended, seriously) Carlos Mancia makes fun of Juan, Tyrone, Ahmed, and Mark. Chris Rock makes fun of white people but if you've ever watched an entire show of his you'll notice he also makes fun of black stereotypes. Most comedians that have racially-geared jokes touch base on more than one race. What does focusing on the fact that Chris Rock said cracker accomplish? Its comedy, meant to be taken lightly. One can always tell when the joke is said with animosity. When Kramer started his racist ranting, it was obviously a totally different thing from someone saying white people pronounce the entire word when they talk. But I saw a guy (I forget his name) bring a black guy up on stage in Atlantic City in a club that had mostly black patrons. When he asked the guy what he did the guy said "I'm a music producer." and the comedian looks him up and down and says "Let me guess, for rap?" and the guy is like "Yea..." and the whole club busts out laughing.

All I'm trying to say is don't fall into the trap of "But they are just as recist!" or "You can't make fun of other races because that's racist!" because its just another way for us to hate each other. Spread love not hate big grin Originally posted by Tangible God
You are a racist sir. You're discriminating against us non-blended whites who speak out on what Subjekt has said. That is racist and discriminatory.

Or useful in the long run. Oh wait! You dropped your Swastika patch.

queeq
These posts are getting too long...

Darth Subjekt
LOL, i feel ya man...but you have to admit that black/Latinos making fun of whites is far more acceptable that the reverse. Kramer's a cockstain, so he's omitted from this obviously, but what if Dice Clay said "i remember the niggas used to have jerri-curl, it looked like greasy Brillo pad." or something like that, they'd get mad. Not every white cat is either a nerd/surfer/or metal head, there's many different facets, and thats the way it is. Oh well, bout to spread the love like butter on toast...

queeq
White cat???? That is soooooo 60s man...

Darth Subjekt
hey man, retro is in these days right? I thought it was kinda groovy. geek

Marxman
LOL, i feel ya man...but you have to admit that black/Latinos making fun of whites is far more acceptable that the reverse. Kramer's a cockstain, so he's omitted from this obviously, but what if Dice Clay said "i remember the niggas used to have jerri-curl, it looked like greasy Brillo pad." or something like that, they'd get mad. Not every white cat is either a nerd/surfer/or metal head, there's many different facets, and thats the way it is. Oh well, bout to spread the love like butter on toast... True that. I'd probably be offended if Dane Cook said "I had this neighbor, he was such a ****ing spic. He would dance all the time. He'd salsa as he was getting his newspaper." And I agree that there's more to white people than the stereotypes. But there's more to teenagers than jocks, geeks, drama dorks and druggies. But every high school movie has them split into these groups. Stereotypes are funny, especially the true ones. I heard a comedian today. He said "There's no wrong or right jokes. There's funny and not funny. If its funny you laugh, if its not you don't. No reason to get all politically correct with it."

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Mace Skywalker
Now I know there is a lot of people out there who hate or dislike Episode 1 for... well hundreds of difference reasons. I do not mind the movie myself. It is bearable at times, dependign on my mood. It is so bad other times that I just laugh, or scoff or whatever. But mostly the way I get through this movie is through comedy. My brother and I have a little running gag that George Lucas is a Racist lol(just to be funny, not seriously) and that there are many horriblly racist things in conjoncture with episode one, or star wars in general for that matter, in the latter episodes anyway.

Lando is the only Black person in the original trilogy. Obviously the gungans(Meesah Jar Jar Binks, Me sah dance around and...) are a bit controversial, but then again what isnt, depending on how you see things, or choose to see things. Everyone is different right?

Well one day i was looking, wherever and found many articles about episode 1 and how others, fans, crtics thought many of the same things, and for different reasons, for the same reasons, based on whatever speculation. Now, my brother and I were just joking to pass the time, nto serious at all. But ive heard some damn good theories, and though i cant take most seriously, some are intriging. Obviously others think what we were thinking, so how many think along those lines when it comes down to episode 2?

I really don't think Lucas was being racist. I mean to be fair and just Mace Windu was the only human (and he was black) that was on the Jedu Council until Episode II came around. And really most characters in Star Wars are usually some type of robot or alien.

Lando did become general of the rebellion.

Darth Subjekt
They're mainly talking about the lack of "colorful" characters and the coincidental stereotypes that may follow.

queeq
Plenty colorful characters except not many black ones. The cantina alone was a whole ubermix of different races living poeacefully together.

GL was not being racist, but he wasn't politically correct either. No compulsary black mayor or head of police...

Darth Subjekt
I'm not saying he was/is racist. Just trying to convey to him what other people were saying. But yea, haha, he all all the "minorities" hanging out in a bar rather than at work! Sorry, just kidding...

Marxman
I'm not saying he was/is racist. Just trying to convey to him what other people were saying. But yea, haha, he all all the "minorities" hanging out in a bar rather than at work! Sorry, just kidding... Oh snap! laughing out loud

queeq
Good one, DS. laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.