Powered-up Superman versus Upgraded Silver Surfer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
The Cosmic Beings of DC and Marvel decided to make a friendly wager and pit their best warrior against each other, with major weapon upgrades.

DC Champion: Superman (Sun-dipped)
Weapon: Green Lantern Ring (with mastery training by Hal)

Marvel Champion: Silver Surfer
Weapon: Mjolnir (Forged specially for Surfer by Odin)

For this match, Superman's weakness to magic and kryptonite are removed and Surfer's passive nature has been set to bloodlust mode.

Soljer
If Superman gets mastery training with Hal Jordan, does Odin imbue all the knowledge and workings of Mjolnir into Norrin?

the Darkone
SS still can absorb his solar energy or speed blitz Superman to death.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by the Darkone

supes uses the GL ring to stop him

bigbran
Super godblast?

masterbruce
Originally posted by Soljer
If Superman gets mastery training with Hal Jordan, does Odin imbue all the knowledge and workings of Mjolnir into Norrin?

Thor trains Surfer to master Mjolnir.

masterbruce
Originally posted by the Darkone

Superman can shield from solar energy suction with his GL Ring.

I'm sure a Sundipped Superman can be as fast as Surfer in fighting speed.

Mindship
If Superman is immune to magic, then SS having Mjolner is nigh pointless. The magic edge is gone; power cosmic already lets the Surfer do whatever Mjolner could (save for godblast). This being so, Supes' gain from the GL ring (AND being sundipped) is far, far greater than SS' with the hammer... unless, Mjolner can be used to AMP power cosmic to unprecedented/Galactus-like levels.

If so, Surfer wins.
If not, Supes wins.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Mindship
If Superman is immune to magic, then SS having Mjolner is nigh pointless. The magic edge is gone; power cosmic already lets the Surfer do whatever Mjolner could (save for godblast). This being so, Supes' gain from the GL ring (AND being sundipped) is far, far greater than SS' with the hammer... unless, Mjolner can be used to AMP power cosmic to unprecedented/Galactus-like levels.

If so, Surfer wins.
If not, Supes wins.

Well, having Mjolnir as a weapon would still benefit Surfer, even as a melee weapon, and remember Thor will train Surfer to master it.

Also, Superman's magic weakness removed just means he won't receive EXTRA damage, but he'll still get hurt like everyone else by it.

And Mjolnir can serve many uses, right? It can deflect energy attacks, teleport, etc I think. So at the very least, it'll help Surfer save energy.

Mindship
Originally posted by masterbruce
Well, having Mjolnir as a weapon...Thor will train Surfer to master it.

That could be a bonus, as this fight may also come down to tactics, and my impression is, Thor is more of a tactician than Hal (he certainly has far more battle experience).

Newjak
Meh can't Mjolner ampliy blasts put through it. Plus it has it's own absorbing abilities so Surfer could be useing two powersets to drain Superman possibly. The ring is powerful but it still has limits even being the plot device it is.

NiņoAraņa
good fight yes

still undecieded

MattDay
undecided, even if they made this a real fight, writers would be sitting there for days just scratching their heads wondering how this fight will end...

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by MattDay
undecided, even if they made this a real fight, writers would be sitting there for days just scratching their heads wondering how this fight will end... probably by making the whole thing a misunderstanding...and they go take down Darksied or something stick out tongue

MattDay
lol yea, that would solve a lot of issues

StarsNeverFall7
I personally think it would be more interesting if you gave Surfer the Quantam Bands, atleast then they both have a fairly similar weapon.

Bentley
Or you can give Surfer both the quantum bands and the mjolmir and a GL ring and the mother box for Supes. Or even better, give them to a Celestial and Imperiex so this fight becomes scalable!

Or even worse, give them Hulk/Storm powers.

grey fox
Surfer.

The hammer drains the juice clean out of the ring and then Surfer pulls a 'All Star Superman' and makes Clark explode.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bentley
Or you can give Surfer both the quantum bands and the mjolmir and a GL ring and the mother box for Supes. Or even better, give them to a Celestial and Imperiex so this fight becomes scalable!

Or even worse, give them Hulk/Storm powers.

Give them both Hulk/Storm/Wolverine/DoctorStrange/Flash powers and watch the multiverse cruble before their plot devices.

Bentley
In all fairness, it would be easier just to give Thor the quantum bands or something like that. The surfer has excellent energy manipulation skills on his own, the mjolmir boost make even the GL ring look bad.

Soleran
Superman wins this

I was thinking quantum bands for Surfer would have been better anyway, Surfer isn't much into melee no matter how you cut it.

Priest
this is a good match, especially since masterbruce took away superman's kNite/magic weakness.
Still id give surfer the majority, surfer still would be able to absorb tremendous amounts of energy for this version of superman, he can absorb the solar energy from superman's cells, and with the Mjinor, Surfer would be able to absorb and redirect GL power.
Also Surfer is faster than superman.
Surfer for the win, due to much more versatility on his side w/mjinor.

Superboy Prime
In my opinion I think Surfer having Mjolnir is not necessary. Just take away his pacifistic attitude and he'll be a beast. He can possibly replicate anything Mjolnir can do via Power Cosmic anyway.

In the end I think Superman wins. GL ring + no magic/kryptonite weakness + Sun dipped Superman spells PAIN for any character.

What's stopping Supes from using the ring to prevent Surfer from draining his energy?

Newjak
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
In my opinion I think Surfer having Mjolnir is not necessary. Just take away his pacifistic attitude and he'll be a beast. He can possibly replicate anything Mjolnir can do via Power Cosmis anyway.

In the end I think Superman wins. GL ring + no magic/kryptnote weakness + Sun dipped Superman spells PAIN for any character.

What's stopping Supes from using the ring to prevent Surfer from draining his energy? Well there are two possibilities.

One is that Mjolnir could amplify SS's absorbing powers even more because the Hammer is known to do that.

Two the fact that Mjolnir also has it's own quite formiddable absorbing abilities. So SS could theoritcally drain both of Supes sources of energy at the same time without any extra effort on SS.

These may work since Supes would be relying solely on the ring to protect him while SS has two comparble power sources doing it compared to Supes one.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Mindship

If so, Surfer wins.
If not, Supes wins.
Also, it sounds like he'd be tapping both the power cosmic and whatever energy reserves Thor, or possibly Odin, tap to gain their energies. So it's like a double barrel thing.

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by Newjak
Well there are two possibilities.

One is that Mjolnir could amplify SS's absorbing powers even more because the Hammer is known to do that.

Two the fact that Mjolnir also has it's own quite formiddable absorbing abilities. So SS could theoritcally drain both of Supes sources of energy at the same time without any extra effort on SS.

These may work since Supes would be relying solely on the ring to protect him while SS has two comparble power sources doing it compared to Supes one.

Those 2 possibilities seem possible to me, but there are 2 things that could prevent that from happeneing:

a) It's debatable if Surfer whether with Mjolnir or PC can actually drain Oan energy, and
b) Remember Superman is sundipped. Surfer is faster than normal Supes, but this time Kal-El is sundipped and he could very well be much faster than Surfer. Not to mention stronger. He could possibly speedblitz Surfer and knock his head off.

AQUA-MARINER
super-man loses.......thats really all i can say cept sufer always beats sups.....

Soljer
Even a sundipped Superman isn't faster than the Surfer.

Unless you honestly think that Sundipping amps Superman by the millions. Stronger? Maybe - considering that Superman is NORMALLY around the strength of Thor, and the Surfer now has cosmic might atop of asgardian strength. And he can amp it up even further with the power cosmic. But still definitely not faster.

Also, there is no reason that the Surfer couldn't drain Oa energy, just like there is no reason that a Lantern couldn't drain the power cosmic.

Newjak
Those 2 possibilities seem possible to me, but there are 2 things that could prevent that from happeneing:

a) It's debatable if Surfer whether with Mjolnir or PC can actually drain Oan energy, and
b) Remember Superman is sundipped. Surfer is faster than normal Supes, but this time Kal-El is sundipped and he could very well be much faster than Surfer. Not to mention stronger. He could possibly speedblitz Surfer and knock his head off. Surfer is really fast so while Supes maybe faster there is no proof he would be and Surfer is till quite durable.

Oan energy has been drained before hasn't it besides Thor's hammer has already drained Power Cosmic before which is Marvel's Oan enegry kind of.

Soleran
Superman can use the GL ring to further AMP his stats as well as use the ring as a conduit to further his ability to harness solar power.

Once again if Superman goes melee on SS he's dead.

All SS can do is drain Superman for the "win" then he is going to lose, badly.

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by Newjak
Surfer is really fast so while Supes maybe faster there is no proof he would be and Surfer is till quite durable.

Oan energy has been drained before hasn't it besides Thor's hammer has already drained Power Cosmic before which is Marvel's Oan enegry kind of.

Yeah I admit the Surfer is very durable, but we're talking about Superman's strength being increased here. I exagerated by saying he would knock his head off, but it's possible he could still KO him.

I don't think Power Cosmic = Oan energy. They are similar, but that doesn't prove Mjolnir would actually be able to drain the Power Ring.

Also Superman has been stated to have near infinite will, and he has been trained to mastery by Hal Jordan. We've seen Supes being able to take a ring away from a GL(Guy Gardner) by sheer will alone. Supes will + intellect + power ring is a very formidable thing to overcome.

Don't get me wrong Surfer could do it, but I have not been convinced yet.

Soleran
I don't think Power Cosmic = Oan energy. They are similar, but that doesn't prove Mjolnir would actually be able to drain the Power Ring.

Not to be rude but that's garbage, Oan energy and PC are just two names for different characters and brands in my opinion.

They both do and have similar abilities however that being said

Superman's weakness against Surfer is typically energy manipulation and with the GL ring that can be countered.

Surfers weakness is that he doesn't have h2h skills for beans and giving him a hammer won't fix that at all.

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by Soleran
Not to be rude but that's garbage, Oan energy and PC are just two names for different characters and brands in my opinion.

They both do and have similar abilities however that being said

Superman's weakness against Surfer is typically energy manipulation and with the GL ring that can be countered.

Surfers weakness is that he doesn't have h2h skills for beans and giving him a hammer won't fix that at all.

It still isn't the same thing. They may do the same, but they do not have the same origin. That's like saying that because kryptonite weakens Supes it should weaken Gladiator.

Soleran
It still isn't the same thing. They may do the same, but they do not have the same origin. That's like saying that because kryptonite weakens Supes it should weaken Gladiator.

No it's not, energy is energy is energy it's how you are able to manipulate it that allows for it's different purposes, orgins mean squat for that.

Anyway the hammer doesn't help SS turn this into a favorable discussion.

Superman's weakness to kyrptonite is gone for this fight and his "weakness" to magic is diminished.

SS wouldn't be able to suck Superman's cells dry before he KO'd Surfer.

Soljer

Uhhmmm...didn't the original poster say that Thor would train him? I thought that meant in more than just the mastery over Mjolnir's powers.

Thor himself is quite an apt combatant, being a warrior god who has millenia of experience.

Priest
to add wat Soljer said, the Mjinor has more uses than just beeing a "war hammer"..
If used right, it is one of the most powerful weapons in the universe. it easily rivals the GL ring.

Soleran
SS has never been a h2h guy so learning something new certainly doesn't make you near as good as a guy with skills and experience to back up his actions. SS may have some new skills in h2h but he's a rookie with skills at best then.

That's just my opinion on that of course.

dvampire
Poor Surfer! Superman takes this easily. A GL ring would have been enough, but sundipping him doesn't make this a match.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by dvampire
Poor Surfer! Superman takes this easily. A GL ring would have been enough, but sundipping him doesn't make this a match. it kinda does wink

more then fair actually, as i think Surfer takes this

dvampire

Mindship
Remember Superman is sundipped. Surfer is faster than normal Supes, but this time Kal-El is sundipped and he could very well be much faster than Surfer. Not to mention stronger. He could possibly speedblitz Surfer and knock his head off.

Sundipped Superman is a planet mover. Indeed, I would not give Surfer the strength advantage--not that he couldn't amp up (especially wih Mjolner), but even if he did, Superman is more experienced in h2h.

But h2h is not likely anyway. If nothing else, Thor will have advised Surfer to stay clear.

I'm not aware of any speedfeats by SD Superman, but regular Superman seems capable of about 100 cee (eg, to the sun and back in mere seconds). SD Supes + ring is likely millions of times faster. I don't know if I would give either the speed advantage.

As to the strength of the Surfer's will: ask Mephisto what he thinks.

A big part of this battle is gonna be energy projections, and in that area Surfer excels. He has decades of experience; heck, it's in his nature to project energy.

masterbruce
Just want to clear a few things up:

1. Thor will be training Surfer to master Mjolnir, not in anything else.

2. I selected Surfer rather than Thor because I find more similarities between Surfer and Superman. They're both aliens who have become protectors of Earth whereas Thor is an asgardian god.

3. I selected Mjolnir instead of some other weapon (quantum bands) because I feel that people know more about what Mjolnir offers and it is a more interesting weapon than quantum bands (which seem to just amplify the user's powers)

Soljer
Originally posted by masterbruce

2. I selected Surfer rather than Thor because I find more similarities between Surfer and Superman. They're both aliens who have become protectors of Earth whereas Thor is an asgardian god.

The Surfer is no protector of Earth, he is currently Galactus' herald once more - searching for planet for Galan to feed on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.