Smokin' Aces

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Grimm22
What a great movie. I just saw it tonight and I have to say its one of the better movies I've seen in the past couple years.

I highly recommend it to anyone who hates Ben Affleck (Spoiler stick out tongue)

Myth
It was definitely entertaining but far from one of the best in the last couple of years. Its definitely one for the fans of violence. Kind of a poor man's Tarantino film.

AstroFan
The only interest I have in this movie is to see Jeremy Piven, so Ill probably just wait for the dvd. But its good to hear that its decent.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Myth
It was definitely entertaining but far from one of the best in the last couple of years. Its definitely one for the fans of violence. Kind of a poor man's Tarantino film.

I never have liked Tarantino's films. Thats just me though

The only part that I wasn't a huge fan of was the ending. It was good, but it just kind of confused me a bit

Strangelove
Yeah I agree with Myth, it looks like a gonzo violence movie. Not a whole lot of substance, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Myth
Originally posted by Grimm22

The only part that I wasn't a huge fan of was the ending. It was good, but it just kind of confused me a bit

The ending was the only the only part that made the story seem halfway intelligent. I can see how it could be confusing, but it really made it so it wasn't 'completely' mindless entertainment.

On top of the fun violence, other aspects of the movie that made it worth my time include funny dialog, cool scene transitions, and a good soundtrack to accompany the action.

As for my QT comparison, the movie is like a cross between Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, but not done quite as well as either.

ToMacco
smokin' pole

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Mark Kermode thinks it's a pile of shit, and he usually knows his stuff. Excluding his opinion on Borat...

I think I'll give it a miss.

Dusty
Looks like a Guy Ritchie movie, to be honest. Will check it out when it jumps into DVD form.

Solo
A lot of people have been comparing it to the tragedy that is "The Boondock Saints". Thus, I'll just wait for the DVD.

Myth
Its much faster paced than Boondock Saints (not as good though) and same with Guy Ritchie's films (or at least Lock Stock and Snatch).

As for critics, most wouldn't like it because there is just too much violence, the story isn't really strong, and the characters are pretty shallow. Still, very entertaining.

axelsanx
I liked "Smok'in Aces". I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not, but in the end it was very Entertaining. For some reason, the 'over-the-top' characters worked. The movie was not unlike a graphic comic novel brought to the screen. Some people might not like it because of this, but you cannot please everyone.
There was some smart foreshadowing, which gave clues for the end surprise. Well, I saw them and figured out about half of the surprise. I was also surprised by the emotional elements brought into the movie. Grief and betrayal were common themes for more than one character.
It was the best work to date for Ryan Reynonds, who should have gotten a higher billing on this movie. It might give him a chance for better roles in the future. He has come a long way from Two men and a Girl and "Van Wilder".
Over all, I give it a thumb's up.

Warning: if you do not like blood and over-the-top violence then don't go see it.

fruits
i really really liked it!!!

i don't think the violence was over the top at all. i dont think it was that bloody either. compared the horror/gore movies that are out right now.

a really good one to see. from the beginning you just know it's gonna build up int somethin good

Solo
This was ****ing awful, Jeremy Piven was the only good thing about it, and he was just playing Ari.

Lighthammer
This film was good. Have to agree with sank, it was alot like a graphic comic book being brought to life. This film was good though not as good as the Boondock Saints, Snatch, or LSATSB. Best performances were Jeremy Pivens, Ben Aflecks(surprisingly), and I don't remember their names but the guys who played the Tremor Brothers, oh man those guys were hilarious.

inspectah
yea that movie looks crazy alicia keyz and common and a first time they made a film pretty cool

Solo
I remember when movies could be good and still have a body count.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.