Resistance: Fall of Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Resistance: Fall of Man follows an alternate history where the world did not experience World War II, the Great Depression, or the rise of Communism in Russia. An era of peace and prosperity follows the Great War, ending with the revelation of a ruthless and destructive race called the Chimera. The Chimeran virus originates in Russia, which quickly falls to the threat. The Chimera begin to build their army and invasion infrastructure. The world can only guess as to what has happened in Russia. In 1951, the year in which the game takes place, Great Britain finds itself under invasion. Both Asia and Europe have already fallen to the Chimera by this time. Very little is known about the Chimera and their origins remain unclear

The game follows the story of U.S. Army Ranger Sgt. Nathan Hale, who seems to have somewhat of a resistance to the Chimeran virus. He becomes the key figure in a desperate operation that is launched to try to halt the invasion. The next three days are chronicled in the game as the U.S. and British forces band together in a last-ditch effort to save what is left.

That said, this is probably the best game I've played in a long time, and I don't even really like first person shooters all that much. The most interesting aspect of the game is all of the fantastically cool weapons in your arsenal. Some weapons are based on real weapons, while some weapons are futuristically altered. Insomniac Games has combined its passion for creating exotic weapons and vehicles, such as those found in the Ratchet and Clank series, with its proprietary development engine and physics system to create unique human and Chimeran weaponry. In addition, multiple documents of Intelligence can be found scattered throughout each level. These give the player an insight into what has, is, and will happen.

Each weapon provides a unique play style and strategy. An example of this is found with the Auger (Chimeran weapon). The primary fire for this weapon is simple rapid fire energy bolts, but the bolts burrow through walls, opening up a whole new level of strategy. The secondary fire creates a barrier that is resistant to bullets. Most weapons will provide unique experiences whether they are a simple shotgun or the unique Auger.

I just thought I'd share this with y'all. This game is a must buy for any PS3 owner!!!! It totally blew me away, and I was glued to the screen for over 3 hours straight................but then my woman made me stop. laughing out loud

(BTW, Lana, I looked for any similar threads, but I found none. Sorry if I made a dupe.)

((The_Anomaly))
This is a good game as far as I've played, but its no where near the best FPS I've played. Its still a decent PS3 launch game though. Much better then what 360 had at launch, and it looks pretty decent too. The big problem I have with this game is that the weapons seem (or possibly sound) very underpowered. They don't have "umph!" to them, which I don't like. But its still a good game overall. Prolly an 8/10 IMO.

BackFire
Really the only PS3 launch title exclusive worth playing. Looks very nice.

Pulse2
Actually thats untrue backfire, Gundam Wing on PS3 was prooven to be the best game ever made. smile

BackFire
Haha, yeah that's what I've heard, my friend. How could I overlook that one?

Pulse2
Originally posted by BackFire
Haha, yeah that's what I've heard, my friend. How could I overlook that one? Yup, lol, superb ^^ I mean, it was the most anticipated game of all time and has now prooven itself smile

((The_Anomaly))
I actually just played a LOT more of this game and I'd like to say that its better then what I had initially thought. I'd say its actually a 9/10. And I'd also like to take back my weapons comment. Although most of the human weapons are not that good, the alien weapons (and grenades) are very cool indeed. For sure a must buy for PS3 owners.

Pulse2
For a first time game, Insomniac sure prooved to me they are awesome developers. I'm not suprised, Rachet and clank is an awesome game, can't wait for the PSP version smile

This is one of the first companies I have seen jump into an entirely new genre and make the game good without having to make a sequel to bring up the status the original lost.

JToTheP
Originally posted by Pulse2
Actually thats untrue backfire, Gundam Wing on PS3 was prooven to be the best game ever made. smile

I hope you mean greatest in the Gundam Wing series, because there's no way a new brand game is the greatest game ever made.

For a first time game, Insomniac sure prooved to me they are awesome developers. I'm not suprised, Rachet and clank is an awesome game, can't wait for the PSP version smile

This is one of the first companies I have seen jump into an entirely new genre and make the game good without having to make a sequel to bring up the status the original lost.

Ratchet & Clank alone makes me want to buy a Ps3, I love the Ps2 trilogy + Deadlocked.

WrathfulDwarf
Attractive Shooter...I play the demo in a kiosk when it was release last year. Good game...but I doubt I'll playing the entire game in the future.

Pulse2
Originally posted by JToTheP
I hope you mean greatest in the Gundam Wing series, because there's no way a new brand game is the greatest game ever made.

Ratchet & Clank alone makes me want to buy a Ps3, I love the Ps2 trilogy + Deadlocked. I was being sarcastic about the gundam wing, its actually the opposite, worst game :P Or worst release game for that matter.

Rachet and clank and Jak and Daxter will no doubt be on PS3, that as well as Kindom hearts 3 and God of war 3, I just love my platformers ^^

Resistance looks good, but from Insomniac's standards, they are new to the FPS genre, this is their first FPS game, hopefully they now have the experince to both tap into more power on the PS3 with Resistance 2 and at the same time make thier FPS ideas more original, however, this is great for a non experienced company to enter a completely different genre to what they are used to and make it so good, its not perfect, but no doubt its good.

I look forward to future Insomniac games, one of the few developers I can always label "quality games" on. They have yet to let me down.

BackFire
Yes, Resistance 2 (assuming it gets made, a safe assumption, probably) will certainly be interesting. For a freshman effort Resistance looks to be great.

Pulse2
Originally posted by BackFire
Yes, Resistance 2 (assuming it gets made, a safe assumption, probably) will certainly be interesting. For a freshman effort Resistance looks to be great. Was Insomnic trying to cross the COD2 which PS3 buyers missed, with Halo or something? Seemed like it smile

I hope next time theres a bit of something new added to the feast.

Blaxican
Was Insomnic trying to cross the COD2 which PS3 buyers missed, with Halo or something? Seemed like it smile

I hope next time theres a bit of something new added to the feast.

I trhink it's more of a COD2 mixed with Gears of War. Thebgames pretty cool.

Impediment
I'm 16 hours into the game and I still haven't beaten it. It's progressively harder each level. This is a challenging, yet fantastically fun game.

AstroFan
Have you jumped online yet?

Impediment
Originally posted by AstroFan
Have you jumped online yet?

Not yet. I'm hoping to do so by this weekend. All I need is the right ethernet connectors for my DSL outputs. My dad can hook me up easily, since he works for the phone company. I really wanna try out Marvel Ultimate Alliance online, as well as, of course, Resistance: Fall of Man.

Pulse2
How is the movement, I mean, do you sharply tilt or turn the controller to whack enemies away like they said you could, or is it simple.

((The_Anomaly))
No, when some enemies grab onto you you've gotta shake the controller like mad to get them off of you. And if you catch on fire its the same thing. Thats about it though for the motion control. The rest controls like a pretty basic FPS.

Impediment
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
No, when some enemies grab onto you you've gotta shake the controller like mad to get them off of you. And if you catch on fire its the same thing. Thats about it though for the motion control. The rest controls like a pretty basic FPS.

What he said. yes

Pulse2
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
No, when some enemies grab onto you you've gotta shake the controller like mad to get them off of you. And if you catch on fire its the same thing. Thats about it though for the motion control. The rest controls like a pretty basic FPS. Hmm....pretty basic, I can think of tons of things they could have done to make the experience more fun :P Oh well, maybe the sequel will be better.

((The_Anomaly))
No its actually a really good FPS. If you have a PS3 its a must buy game. I'm just saying its a pretty standard FPS in terms of controls. But not in terms of the actual game.

Pulse2
I know, just as a writer the storyline was slightly understimulating, game however looks good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.