What's it like to be Atheist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Smiter
A christian person wants to know the devil's side.

Regret
Originally posted by Strangelove
It's just like being a white person, except blacker It's just like being a theist, except less religious.
Originally posted by queeq
What a stupid thread. Maybe I should start a thread "Worst Threads Ever".... this'd be one of them.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Smiter

It is pretty good mostly. If you are not persecuted. You are also free to do as you please, which is nice. And you don't have to go to church.

There are ups and downs I am sure. But I think being religious is probably worse.

Symmetric Chaos

"Symmetric Chaos was killed by an aneurysm induced by stupidity radiation leaking through his computer monitor" - Medical Examiner

Well lets see, being an atheist has nothing to do with the devil.

What exactly do you want to know about atheism dude?

Bardock42
Why, especially Atheists, misspell it.

Shakyamunison

There is no devil, therefore there is no devil's side.

BTW I'm not an atheist.

finti
since the devil is a religious invention an atheist would know what you really talk about here

Alliance
Why isn't this closed?

Imperial_Samura

So you're a Christian person? But not a smart one I take it.

For an Atheist there is no such thing as "the devil's side" - if I am an Atheist I do not believe in God, any God, nor do I believe in the Devil/Lucifer/Satan/whatever. Maybe I am an Atheist for no real explainable reason other than "I just don't believe", or maybe I am an Atheist whose Atheism operates from a reasoned place where I think there is a good reason (maybe even scientific reason) not to believe in a God, any God (say a Richard Dawkin's kind of Atheist.)

Either way no devil's side. I find the concept absurd -

Unreasonable Theist: "What, you don't believe in God? So you follow the Devil then!"

Me: "Ummm... so I don't actually have any choice in the matter? If I'm not following God then I am automatically following the devil, even though being an Atheist I don't believe in him either? Sounds like pretty crap reasoning."

At which point the unreasonable theist will peddle out some over quoted tid bit like "But the devil believes in you" at which point I have a good laugh at his/her expense. The I threaten to play some heavy metal at them.

Give it time. Good things come to those who wait (that's my over used quote of the day.)

TRH
A christian person wants to know the devil's side. Your the devil Bas*ard

Atlantis001

There is no devil, it is just a misisnterpretation of other concepts that lead to the modern concept of devil.

lord xyz
Wow, more than one sign of retardation has crossed with another; do these people even think when they make these threads?

TRH
Originally posted by lord xyz
Wow, more than one sign of retardation has crossed with another; do these people even think when they make these threads? They think its gonna make them cool

Strangelove
Originally posted by Bardock42
It is pretty good mostly. If you are not persecuted. You are also free to do as you please, which is nice. And you don't have to go to church.

There are ups and downs I am sure. But I think being religious is probably worse. The eternal damnation is a bit of a *****

Symmetric Chaos
The eternal damnation is a bit of a *****

Not really.

Satan totally loves us even though we don't worship him. He's a nice guy in fact.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Not really.

Satan totally loves us even though we don't worship him. He's a nice guy in fact. I believe it

Imperial_Samura
The eternal damnation is a bit of a *****

Sadly being Atheist I don't believe in it either. wink

Alliance
Satan would be much more interesting to meet than god.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Alliance

yes

Imperial_Samura

I agree - Paradise Lost Satan especially.

Nellinator
Satan would be much more interesting to meet than god. Actually, without taking my faith into account think that God would still be more interesting. Satan would tell you many things, but God would tell you only the truth and could fully answer all your questions in the way that you can understand it. That would make Him a very awesome person to talk to.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Nellinator
Actually, without taking my faith into account think that God would still be more interesting. Satan would tell you many things, but God would tell you only the truth and could fully answer all your questions in the way that you can understand it. That would make Him a very awesome person to talk to.

If only he was prepared to do so for people while on earth, when answers would be far more useful.

Symmetric Chaos
Actually, without taking my faith into account think that God would still be more interesting. Satan would tell you many things, but God would tell you only the truth and could fully answer all your questions in the way that you can understand it. That would make Him a very awesome person to talk to.

Satan would still be more interesting to talk to. You see he must be SuperCharismatic so talking to him would certainly be interesting.

Smiter
Satan will allow you to have sex with his succubuses. I heard they have tight pussies.

God will not allow you to have sex with angels. Homosexuality is not allowed.

Imperial_Samura
And Satan of course would be the more human of the two I suspect. After all, we seem to go through life being told how far God is beyond our ability to really understand, and how to look upon him is impossible...

But then I think of Lucifer Morningstar from the comic, what a character he is.

Only in your dreams.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
If only he was prepared to do so for people while on earth, when answers would be far more useful. The answer is... Jesus.Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Satan would still be more interesting to talk to. You see he must be SuperCharismatic so talking to him would certainly be interesting. You don't think God would have charisma? I imagine that any charisma that Satan has is more bountiful in God as God knows everything about you and could talk to your sense of humour in ways Satan never could. Those are just my thoughts though.

Symmetric Chaos
You don't think God would have charisma?

Not SuperCharisma shifty. Besides he's never demonstrated any great level of charisma on his own.

I imagine that any charisma that Satan has is more bountiful in God as God knows everything about you and could talk to your sense of humour in ways Satan never could.

I just don't see God cracking jokes (maybe this deserves its own thread)

Alliance

I woulnd't trust God any more than Satan to give me the truth. Truth is something that fools look for. I'm not interested in "the truth."I'm looking for perspective. I'm interested in his person, his character, his version. There are at least two sides to this coin and I'm much more interested in the dynamic one.

In Christian myth, God may be the creator, but Satan moves the world. He is the one that made us human. His perspective is as indispencible and as critical as that of God's and quite frankly, I think it would be the more interesting one.
Christian myth always negates the perspective of the other side...sometimes falsely so.

Take Cain and Abel. I'm on Cain's side. The marked side.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Not SuperCharisma shifty. Besides he's never demonstrated any great level of charisma on his own.

I just don't see God cracking jokes (maybe this deserves its own thread)
I hold that Jesus was rather charismatic, he must've been, there's really no other explanation. He went to parties, he healed the sick, a very interesting guy/God.Originally posted by Alliance
I woulnd't trust God any more than Satan to give me the truth. Truth is something that fools look for. I'm not interested in "the truth."I'm looking for perspective. I'm interested in his person, his character, his version. There are at least two sides to this coin and I'm much more interested in the dynamic one.

In Christian myth, God may be the creator, but Satan moves the world. He is the one that made us human. His perspective is as indispencible and as critical as that of God's and quite frankly, I think it would be the more interesting one.
Christian myth always negates the perspective of the other side...sometimes falsely so.

Take Cain and Abel. I'm on Cain's side. The marked side. I'm surprised to hear (or see actually) you say that your not interested in the truth. The question that I would ask is what Satan could tell you that would interest you? I'm confused as to why you would take Cain's side considering he murdered Abel in cold blood and the fact that it's pretty much impossible to have anything against Abel. However, I think you were referring to something more than that so elaboration would help...

Imperial_Samura
The answer is... Jesus.

"Satan would tell you many things, but God would tell you only the truth and could fully answer all your questions in the way that you can understand it. "

Somehow "Jesus" doesn't actually seem to be an answer to really any of my questions - be they matters of logic, rationality, history, practicality, morality and so on. Unless I am asking "How do Christians believe one gets to Heaven" (Through Jesus) or "Who was born from a Virgin" - then Jesus is the answer. And it certainly doesn't make any sense to me to just answer Jesus to them all. In fact that answer is as bad as the one in some other thread - I ask questions and am told the answer to them all is "love." "The only real answer is that God is love." - ummm, ok.

So in essence it doesn't matter what my questions are, there is essentially a rubber stamp answer that, when one reads between the lines, has a deeper meaning of "Best not ask those questions. Just accept Jesus."

Well said. Even down to Cain - I always thought Cain got a raw deal.

xmarksthespot
Fundiddilyun.

Nellinator
"Satan would tell you many things, but God would tell you only the truth and could fully answer all your questions in the way that you can understand it. "

Somehow "Jesus" doesn't actually seem to be an answer to really any of my questions - be they matters of logic, rationality, history, practicality, morality and so on. Unless I am asking "How do Christians believe one gets to Heaven" (Through Jesus) or "Who was born from a Virgin" - then Jesus is the answer. And it certainly doesn't make any sense to me to just answer Jesus to them all. In fact that answer is as bad as the one in some other thread - I ask questions and am told the answer to them all is "love." "The only real answer is that God is love." - ummm, ok.

So in essence it doesn't matter what my questions are, there is essentially a rubber stamp answer that, when one reads between the lines, has a deeper meaning of "Best not ask those questions. Just accept Jesus." Some people oversimplify things, but Jesus did teach about many deeper things. Morality was definitely a large part of teachings, especially on the lines of how to live, not how not to live. Jesus came and answered many questions people had and he corrected many misconceptions. And I am fully positive that if Jesus was with you face to face and you asked him about "logic, rationality, or history" he'd be a very knowledgable and helpful person. Practicality and morality are questions I think he's mostly answered in the Bible.

Imperial_Samura
Some people oversimplify things, but Jesus did teach about many deeper things. Morality was definitely a large part of teachings, especially on the lines of how to live, not how not to live. Jesus came and answered many questions people had and he corrected many misconceptions. And I am fully positive that if Jesus was with you face to face and you asked him about "logic, rationality, or history" he'd be a very knowledgable and helpful person. Practicality and morality are questions I think he's mostly answered in the Bible.

"If Jesus was with you face to face" - which seems to be what a said earlier:

"If only he was prepared to do so for people while on earth, when answers would be far more useful."

As to the rest - you would say the Bible is a perfectly clear cut moral guide? That it blends perfectly with human concepts from human rights downward? I question aspects of the Bibles morality (as this forum will attest) and wonder at reasons behind it. Not so much "how should we live our lives" but more "why exactly do you advocate that path" - and "Because God says so/God knows best" has never really been a satisfying reason in my eyes.

Alliance

Nellinator

Smiter

Only in your dreams.

yea and its a wet one too

Imperial_Samura
yea and its a wet one too

Hmmm.... Holy Sock Batman! Your not maintaining a very good Christian persona... "A christian person wants to know the devil's side" indeed.

Smiter
because I am weak in faith. Everytime I go to church and pray, I feel nothing, I tried to use my 5 senses and believe that there is God and somehow I just felt the divine absence.

Symmetric Chaos
I tried to use my 5 senses and believe that there is God and somehow I just felt the divine absence.

That is common when the Divine is absent.

lil bitchiness
Why isn't this closed?

I don't know, there seems to be some kind of discussion generation.

But Allience is non the less right. There is already a thread called Atheism and numerous ones asking questions about Atheism, so please use them.
Thank you!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.