Have you ever felt oppressed b/c of your opinion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Oncewhite
Do you think that only happens in communitist countries?

Do you think that what you write online has any effect on your personal life (if you know others around you come to the same message board that you comment on)?

Do you think it's right to oppress someone b/c of their ideas, if their perspective is different then the norm?

So, if you were in a communist country, and wrote things online that were different from the norm, do you feel that your phone would be tapped or other issues? Do you think that kind of stuff could happen in the US?

If you don't answer any of these questions, (simply because it doesn't apply or you don't have an opinion) what do you think the true meaning of FREEDOM of speech or Liberity is?

lil bitchiness
Actually, opression because of opinion is far more common in western Capitalist countries than you would think.

I sometimes feel opressed because of my opinions, particulary on the ideas I have in regards to consumerist society of the West, because of political correctness, because of all around stupidity.

Most of the times, I don't feel opressed, but enraged.

Strangelove
Not really. I don't really have any crazy, oppressable opinions

Badabing
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Actually, opression because of opinion is far more common in western Capitalist countries than you would think.

I sometimes feel opressed because of my opinions, particulary on the ideas I have in regards to consumerist society of the West, because of political correctness, because of all around stupidity.

Good call. Political Correctness reminds me of "New Speak" from Orwell's 1984.

Other instances of oppression and retaliation is when folks who don't support Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Gun Control and Green Energy are labeled Anti-Latino, Homophobic, Anti-American and Tree Huggers. I feel it's ridiculous to label people just for an opposing viewpoint as long as the viewpoint is backed by rationale and facts and not dictated by prejudice.

Kinneary
Define oppression in regards to this topic.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Badabing

Other instances of oppression and retaliation is when folks who don't support Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Gun Control and Green Energy are labeled Anti-Latino, Homophobic, Anti-American and Tree Huggers. I feel it's ridiculous to label people just for an opposing viewpoint as long as the viewpoint is backed by rationale and facts and not dictated by prejudice.

I absolutely concur.

As I stated before, people seem to love to seek approval by trumpeting ''safe truths'' for which they know no consequence will befall them.

debbiejo
Yep, spineless. How can anyone make a difference if they can't put their word on the line.

Marxman
Oppression for liberal/"different" ideas is hardly something that is unique to communist countries. In a "free" country you may not be oppressed directly by the government but you can certainly be socially oppressed. Your peers look at you differently when you say you support communism. You're labeled a sinner and a murderer if you are Pro-Choice. You're destroying the sanctity of marriage if you support gay marriage. You're a religious fanatic who is attempting to impose your beliefs on the masses if you fight against abortion and gay marriage. Oppression comes in different forms and they come from all sides.

debbiejo
Oppressive views come from weak minded sheep.

Kinneary
You're the one who said you wanted to leave your hometown (or hte country, I don't remember) because it was full of idiots. Wouldn't that make you a weak minded sheep as well?

Like I said, oppression really needs to be defined for this topic. Stereotyped is maybe a better word to use. I don't think anyone here has been truly oppressed because of their beliefs.

debbiejo
Not because of idiots. Because of no jobs here. Michigans economy is at the bottom of the 50 states.

Bardock42

I agree on the political correctness part.

The terms and labels for people though are not oppression, but (maybe unfair) debating methods. It has nothing to do with oppression. Nor do western countries oppress...the societies on the other hand might demand ridiculous behaviour.

What do you count as oppression though? Is denying gay marriage oppression of homosexuals? Is voting against making abortion illegal oppression of pro-life people?
We live in cultures with multiple ideas and values, in some case there have to be decisions to be made. I don't think it is necessarily oppression just because your thoughts are not supported or put into action. They have to be denied...forcibly...preferably by a government.

doan_m
hmm.... oppressed? Never, whenever somebody tries to "oppress" my opinion i tend to lash back like a bat out of hell. It's for that reason most people are afraid to debate with me.

Capt_Fantastic
What tis thread and many of the posts in it fail to consider is that some ideas and perspective are just wrong. That's all there is to it. Some people are just wrong.

What really needs to change is the political effects of some issues. If someone wants to pretend to be noble for expressing his or her opinion, maybe they should think about why they're expressing it in the first place, rather than just saying it to feel like their opinion is valid.

Badabing
Originally posted by Bardock42
I agree on the political correctness part.

The terms and labels for people though are not oppression, but (maybe unfair) debating methods. It has nothing to do with oppression. Nor do western countries oppress...the societies on the other hand might demand ridiculous behaviour.

What do you count as oppression though? Is denying gay marriage oppression of homosexuals? Is voting against making abortion illegal oppression of pro-life people?
We live in cultures with multiple ideas and values, in some case there have to be decisions to be made. I don't think it is necessarily oppression just because your thoughts are not supported or put into action. They have to be denied...forcibly...preferably by a government.
I wasn't thinking that people are literally oppressed and they've lost their rights. I meant that smearing somebody's name, labeling or any other form degradation for a differing opinion is a form of oppression.

botankus
Originally posted by doan_m
hmm.... oppressed? Never, whenever somebody tries to "oppress" my opinion i tend to lash back like a bat out of hell. It's for that reason most people are afraid to debate with me.

You need to search for a KMC member named Alpha Centauri. Strike up a debate with him when you find him. It could be on anything, even if one of you believes the sky is pink and the other thinks it's green. Let me know how it goes.

Regret
Originally posted by Oncewhite
Do you think it's right to oppress someone b/c of their ideas, if their perspective is different then the norm? This occurs in all aspects of life. It is easily compared to evolution, stupid ideas die off while better fit ideas survive. It should happen, but not always in the manner it occurs. There are proper ways that suppress stupidity, but there are also improper ways. An example of a proper method of suppressing stupidity is the closing of stupid threads in the forum.

Lord Urizen

I find it hilarious that you are pulling this card.

Your aims at keeping Conservatism in this nation indirectly lead to the oppression of several people (ex: your ideals against Gay Marriage and ideals of Immigration policy), yet you are crying that you are oppressed for your opinions...

erm

Lord Urizen
I wasn't thinking that people are literally oppressed and they've lost their rights. I meant that smearing somebody's name, labeling or any other form degradation for a differing opinion is a form of oppression.

Someone labelling you a homophobe, racist, or or what-not is no where as oppressive as denying a Gay couple the right to marriage, or denying an immigrant freedom.

Please re-evaluate where you are coming from, and why you think what you do, before you make statements like this. Thanks.

Badabing
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
I find it hilarious that you are pulling this card.

Your aims at keeping Conservatism in this nation indirectly lead to the oppression of several people (ex: your ideals against Gay Marriage and ideals of Immigration policy), yet you are crying that you are oppressed for your opinions...
erm I also used gun control and green energy. Where did I state my views on any of the examples? Oh, I didn't. What's your point? Your point is to skew posts in order to advance your agenda. I used examples of the left and right using labeling and smearing. It's not cool to take a post and try to skew it just to justify your position and point of view. I never said my opinions were oppressed. Please read my post again because I did not stir controversy. Once again, you've proved how closed minded you are. That's the no spin truth.

Someone labelling you a homophobe, racist, or or what-not is no where as oppressive as denying a Gay couple the right to marriage, or denying an immigrant freedom.

Please re-evaluate where you are coming from, and why you think what you do, before you make statements like this. Thanks.
Once again, I never stated my opinion but just used 4 well known examples that are from the Left and Right. You've shown how closed minded you are by labeling me a Conservative. Thanks for proving my points. wink

My original post.Originally posted by Badabing

Other instances of oppression and retaliation is when folks who don't support Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Gun Control and Green Energy are labeled Anti-Latino, Homophobic, Anti-American and Tree Huggers. I feel it's ridiculous to label people just for an opposing viewpoint as long as the viewpoint is backed by rationale and facts and not dictated by prejudice. [

Oncewhite

uhm, are you of the New Age philosophy and concerned with the planet and trees? (i'm not mocking you or New Age at all, some of it makes complete sense to me)

are you concerned with the lack of recycling of goods or just the idea of overconsumption (as some religions teach moderation in every thing, no exess in spending or pleasure, etc).

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Kinneary
Define oppression in regards to this topic.

Oppression is a subjective emotion. For clarity, however, I would broadly define "oppression" as the feeling of an unfair action, an abuse of power that results in the person or group unable to exact a fair or balanced voice without fear of being silenced (this could be from an abusive parent, spouse, coworker, neighbor, etc., it's not strictly related to a gov't authority, although one may consider disciplinarian parent as an authoritative gov't in their own home).

that's called playing politics, for some, it's a good diplomatic character, for others, it's a flaw, really depends on how far they go.

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
What tis thread and many of the posts in it fail to consider is that some ideas and perspective are just wrong. That's all there is to it. Some people are just wrong.

What really needs to change is the political effects of some issues. If someone wants to pretend to be noble for expressing his or her opinion, maybe they should think about why they're expressing it in the first place, rather than just saying it to feel like their opinion is valid.

Enjoy stinging the ego? (Ouch)

I agree with you, sometimes, we should reflect more about our own intentions, rather then enjoy the chiming of our own thoughts and voice, tough thing to do though, but not impossible.

We still need a Republic, b/c we are too skewed in special interest to be a real democracy, someone else will feel things are unfair, esp. anyone who is minority or a small population/representation of the group that didn't have their say, or feel as if their say is being ignored.

Bardock42

I don't think so.

To call someone, scum, ******* or whatever is not oppressing them. You do not take their rights away, you just make your own opinion on them public.

Originally posted by botankus
You need to search for a KMC member named Alpha Centauri. Strike up a debate with him when you find him. It could be on anything, even if one of you believes the sky is pink and the other thinks it's green. Let me know how it goes. You can usually find him in the Music Forum. Tip for free: claim the Beatles are factually the best band ever.

Oncewhite

Uhm, so what you are stating is that the concept of "duality" inherently triggers oppression when one side "wins" over the other? Duality is an important philosophical, mathematical, political, entertainment and religious concept in most of the world.

So, once there is duality, the losing side may end up feeling oppressed?

Kinneary
The word oppression is such a horrible, horrible word to use for this topic.

Stereotyped is much closer to what the subject of this thread is about.

Oncewhite
The word oppression is such a horrible, horrible word to use for this topic.

Stereotyped is much closer to what the subject of this thread is about.

perhaps share with us a more accurate definition of oppression? i don't want to sound spoiled, as if we are in such comforts we have no clue, etc. for instance, i have heard people talk about how Americans do not have a clue about poverty, our form of poverty is like cake walk compared to other countries. with that frame of thought, i don't want to sound as if we are living high and mighty that we don't know what "oppression" would feel like in the act of asking the question (what do you define as oppression?) i mean, Japanese are living pretty good, but maybe you have a different perspective that we can learn from..or at least, "i" can learn from...smile

Badabing
Oncewhite, this is a very interesting topic. cool

Oncewhite
Oncewhite, this is a very interesting topic. cool

wait, is this coming from the "Mr. O'Reilly" himself? eek!

Robtard
"Help, help! I'm being (re)oppressed!" - Peasant 'Monty Python and The Holy Grail'

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Robtard
"Help, help! I'm being oppressed!" - Peasant 'Monty Python and The Holy Grail'

i don't know if inanimate objects could feel oppressed, but if so, i would guess that the thong on that pic of yours is being relieved of oppression.. smile

Robtard
i don't know if inanimate objects could feel oppressed, but if so, i would guess that the thong on that pic of yours is being relieved of oppression..

That is one type of oppression I'd gladly endure.

Oncewhite
That is one type of oppression I'd gladly endure.

okaaay big grin

Badabing
wait, is this coming from the "Mr. O'Reilly" himself? eek!
No spin here! laughing

Oncewhite
No spin here! laughing

smile I was wondering when you were going to say that.

Kinneary
perhaps share with us a more accurate definition of oppression? i don't want to sound spoiled, as if we are in such comforts we have no clue, etc. for instance, i have heard people talk about how Americans do not have a clue about poverty, our form of poverty is like cake walk compared to other countries. with that frame of thought, i don't want to sound as if we are living high and mighty that we don't know what "oppression" would feel like in the act of asking the question (what do you define as oppression?) i mean, Japanese are living pretty good, but maybe you have a different perspective that we can learn from..or at least, "i" can learn from...smile
I'm not Japanese. I just live here.

Oppression is when a government or heirarchy makes cruel or tortourous restrictions on human rights. Unless you've ever been beaten, threatened (seriously threatened), or intimidated (felt the actual threat of bodily harm), then you have not been oppressed.

Oncewhite
I'm not Japanese. I just live here.

Oppression is when a government or heirarchy makes cruel or tortourous restrictions on human rights. Unless you've ever been beaten, threatened (seriously threatened), or intimidated (felt the actual threat of bodily harm), then you have not been oppressed.

yeah, when I was in Brooklyn from ages 7-10 i was beaten (not that badly, as I would defend myself but I was very skinny so that was something that made them think I was an easy target), threatened, intimidated, even had females barge into my bathroom stall (totally tacky) some would go to the next one and stand on the stall and peep on the other side and just stand there...so, yeah, it may not have been a "government" but it was a group of people who felt that these tactics were important for some reason, all it did was teach me to stay away.

Kinneary
And why would they do that? If it was just kids being kids, then that's bullying, not oppression.

Eclipso
laughing Kinda, i once got sent to the principals office due to my opinion that nuns are called that cause they get "nun".

Oncewhite
And why would they do that? If it was just kids being kids, then that's bullying, not oppression.

i dont see the difference? if i couldn't walk home going the same direction every day, in concern that some silly kids would stalk me on my way home and do something stupid...that's bothersome...bully tactics are oppressive...

lil bitchiness
uhm, are you of the New Age philosophy and concerned with the planet and trees? (i'm not mocking you or New Age at all, some of it makes complete sense to me)

are you concerned with the lack of recycling of goods or just the idea of overconsumption (as some religions teach moderation in every thing, no exess in spending or pleasure, etc).

No. I am concerned about the world peace, and the immense amount of ignorance, especially since he great majority of people in the most powerful country in the world do not know basic history about majority of the countries they are fighting with/for.

I am concerned about how you watch TV, and all you hope to see are ''reality'' TVs where peopleget humiliated or hurt. (not you personally, but you colectivelly)

This is the consumarism of violence and humiliation, and boy, is West eaing it up.
i am concerned about ''buy this, i will make your life better'' shite.

At the same time, I am concerend about the political correctness - making people say something in a different way will not make them less racist - in fact it will give them a tool to be racist and biggoted as much as they wish, but through flowery language.

I am freaked out at the exportation of those ideas around the world through the all known Western consumerism. It is infectious and parasite like.

Not that existing communism has an answer, but I am just stating.

Soleran
I am concerned about how you watch TV, and all you hope to see are ''reality'' TVs where peopleget humiliated or hurt. (not you personally, but you colectivelly)

This is a very disturbing part of our culture at the moment especially how folks do like to see so many people get hurt or "fail."

I agree, it's very apparent that people live beyond their means and go deep into the "credit world" to have these items, especially in USA (it's my only reference point for my opinion.)

Lil, you aren't just a communist bastard! Very well said, now only if folks in the USA would get some of this message.

PVS
if an opinion can remain valid even if its based on evidence which is false, how is it that it should be respected? i see alot of people with 'opinions' based on nothing but lies, propaganda, heresay, and nothing at all factual. i respect views based on fact and a genuine pursuit of truth, not a person's primal ability to choose one side or another and chant/bleat their side till they are blue in the face.

to people whom i refer: your opinion is shit and you are shit

see the conundrum there? thats right. you must respect my opinion that you are shit, or you're a hypocrite. and im not saying that you're shitty, but that your body and mind are actually composed of fecal matter. this is my opinion and damn anyone for trying to oppress me.

point: opinions in themselves are worth precicesly dick and i will not respect a single one which is based on nothing genuine, factual and/or tangible.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
if an opinion can remain valid even if its based on evidence which is false, how is it that it should be respected? i see alot of people with 'opinions' based on nothing but lies, propaganda, heresay, and nothing at all factual. i respect views based on fact and a genuine pursuit of truth, not a person's primal ability to choose one side or another and chant/bleat their side till they are blue in the face.

to people whom i refer: your opinion is shit and you are shit

see the conundrum there? thats right. you must respect my opinion that you are shit, or you're a hypocrite. and im not saying that you're shitty, but that your body and mind are actually composed of fecal matter. this is my opinion and damn anyone for trying to oppress me.

point: opinions in themselves are worth precicesly dick and i will not respect a single one which is based on nothing genuine, factual and/or tangible.

Which then includes youself, as your opinion of other people who are ''shit'' is based on nothing factual, but your own opinion.

Furthermore, while we are at it, please do not use language like that again.

Alpha Centauri
How do you know his opinion isn't based on anything factual? He might not have any way to prove they are shit, he obviously has a way to prove why he believes so. So what you SHOULD have said is that his opinion of people being shit cannot be proven, his reasons for holding said opinion, can be. If someone said "I think you're shit, I have no genuine reason why.", then fine.

I know for a fact that if you asked PVS to prove WHY he thinks they are shit, not that they are undeniably shit, then he would.

The base level is respecting that everyone has the right to an opinion, it stops there. Nobody need accept what that opinion is, and if PVS isn't going to respect an opinion based on anything other than honesty, proven fact or anything tangible, that's up to him.

-AC

PVS
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
and if PVS isn't going to respect an opinion based on anything other than honesty, proven fact or anything tangible, that's up to him.

-AC

more like this: i do not by default respect someone opinion. like, someone comes up and says "i think blacks are subhuman" and im supposed to respect that. well...no i wont.

and milla, if you missed that point, then fine, we all miss points. but are you really coming down on me for saying "shit"?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
more like this: i do not by default respect someone opinion. like, someone comes up and says "i think blacks are subhuman" and im supposed to respect that. well...no i wont.

Precisely. I respect the persons right to believe that, I don't respect the belief or the opinion itself, just the right to have it.

Originally posted by PVS
and milla, if you missed that point, then fine, we all miss points. but are you really coming down on me for saying "shit"?

I seriously doubt she's doing that, in her defense. Just because it would be a new level of hypocricy.

-AC

PVS
Precisely. I respect the persons right to believe that, I don't respect the belief or the opinion itself, just the right to have it.

exactly

there is an infinately fat line between respecting one's right to an opinion and simply respecting any and all opinions.

Alpha Centauri
It's usually people with shit opinions that confuse the two, but of course, they'd never admit that.

-AC

PVS
It's usually people with shit opinions that confuse the two, but of course, they'd never admit that.

-AC

also what bothers me is the lack of willingness of certain people to allow scrutiny of their opinion. for example religious types who lean on scripture. any challenge on the validity of said scripture is instantly called "religious persecution".

so the idea is that their opinion is right because its based on something holy, and to question its holiness is an insult/desecration/etc.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS

No.I am not coming down at you at all. I am just saying the way you put the sentance together was unecessary. There are other ways to put your point across then saying
''and im not saying that you're shitty, but that your body and mind are actually composed of fecal matter''.

Alpha Centauri
Funny that people (Her) speak out against oppression and political correctness, only to suggest things be worded in ways that they like.

You've gotta laugh, really.

-AC

PVS
No.I am not coming down at you at all. I am just saying the way you put the sentance together was unecessary. There are other ways to put your point across then saying
''and im not saying that you're shitty, but that your body and mind are actually composed of fecal matter''.

its satire. the presenting of a ridiculous opinion that is based on nothing worth consideration which by the logic of someone who says "all opinions must be respected", must be respected.

also it is not aimed at anyone in particular. if personal offense is taken by anyone i fail to see how thats not exclusively their problem as opposed to mine.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
its satire. the presenting of a ridiculous opinion that is based on nothing worth consideration which by the logic of someone who says "all opinions must be respected", must be respected.

also it is not aimed at anyone in particular. if personal offense is taken by anyone i fail to see how thats not exclusively their problem as opposed to mine.

I don't recall mentioning anything about personal offences.

I am talking about the unnecessary language you used, and asking you not to use it again. There ARE ways in which satire can be expressed intelligently without using words you did ad in the matter you did, so I am asking you to utilise such way of getting your point across.

lil bitchiness
Funny that people (Her) speak out against oppression and political correctness, only to suggest things be worded in ways that they like.

You've gotta laugh, really.

-AC

I will ask you only once not to write provoking comments.

Second, this is a board which is PG-13 and has rules which are put in place by the administrator, and which are to be enforced.

Alpha Centauri

I am talking about the unnecessary language you used, and asking you not to use it again. There ARE ways in which satire can be expressed intelligently without using words you did ad in the matter you did, so I am asking you to utilise such way of getting your point across.

It's actually gone past the point of me wanting a sensible reply, I just hope somebody sees how far off the deep end of abusing your powers you've actually gone.

"Don't type like that, I don't like it.".

Actually ridiculous.

I will ask you only once not to write provoking comments.

Second, this is a board which is PG-13 and has rules which are put in place by the administrator, and which are to be enforced.

When? When you're on the back foot in a debate? Cos that's when you always become Mod Milla. Not replying to me, fine, I can handle it, but you're actually taking it out of hand now, and I seriously doubt any mod here would consider your actions justifiable.

-AC

PVS

i dont recall implying that you took personal offense.

so i should make my words more...flowery?

lil bitchiness
Last warning Alpha Centauri, get back on topic, or if you have issue with me, take it to PM.

Edit - same to PVS, if you have an issue with me, take it to PMs.

Alpha Centauri
You've got more issues than I could ever give you.

I think PVS is right.

Many people do have opinions composed of shit, fecal matter, turd, that brown stuff (Pick your word) whatever you want to call it. They do not, nor does anybody, deserve default opinion respect.

-AC

sithsaber408
Never thought I'd come to his defense, but it seems that AC ended up a victim of the very opression that the thread spoke about.

And he didn't even use cursing.

He merely stated his right to have an opinion on others opinions. And if his opinion is that another person's opinion is bullcrap, it's America.... he can say so.

Bad Form 'lil B. thumb down

Robtard
I have a serious question... If "shit" is not to be used due to forum rules why then is it not auto-censored like "f##k"?

Shakyamunison
I have a serious question... If "shit" is not to be used due to forum rules why then is it not auto-censored like "f##k"?

I use shit as a stand in.

lil bitchiness
AC has been warned 3 times previously by 3 different moderators in regards to not adhering to warnings to stop bickering and get back on topic.

I asked him to stop arguing, he did not. Has nothing to do with word shit.

Second, can we please move away from this discussion, or take it to PMs.
Thanks

xmarksthespot
Out of curiosity though what 13 year old hasn't heard, seen and/or used the word "shit" before?

Anyway on topic:
Everyone is entitled to hold an opinion, and they're free to express it, if they so wish. But if they expect everyone to agree with it or respect it, then they're out of their mind.

If telling someone an unfounded, wrong and/or plainly stupid opinion, e.g. if someone's of the opinion the Earth is a flat circular disc on the back of four giant elephants resting atop a larger space tortoise which flies around the sun, is unfounded, wrong and/or plainly stupid is oppression. I frankly don't care.

The credo that "It's an opinion, therefore it can't be wrong." or "Opinions are always valid." is (in my opinion, somewhat ironic huh?) incorrect.

Someone who expresses an opinion in full knowledge that it may be subject to criticism or contention, but then can't take the criticism or contention that may accompany expression of an opinion, has no entitlement to whine about oppression. Harden up.

Lord Urizen
I also used gun control and green energy. Where did I state my views on any of the examples? Oh, I didn't. What's your point? Your point is to skew posts in order to advance your agenda.

"My Agenda"...which is WHAT exactly ? I am so sick of Conservative people using this as a backlash.....they don't know what the hell they are talking about when they use this absurd statement.

I used examples of the left and right using labeling and smearing. It's not cool to take a post and try to skew it just to justify your position and point of view. I never said my opinions were oppressed. Please read my post again because I did not stir controversy. Once again, you've proved how closed minded you are. That's the no spin truth.

What I SAW you write, and what you meant two say are two different things.....you clearly stated that people with Conservative views are oppressed simply because big bad Liberals like me called you guys racist, homophobic, ignorant, etc. for having racist, homophobic, and ignorant points of views.

Although I agree with you that it is unfair to be labelled such just for having an opinion, (especially when it can be backed up by reason)...you stated that this is a form of oppression and I find that entirely laughable !

How you can even compare being called names to the oppression of being kicked out of this country for ethnicity and class reasons, to be denied the right to marry the one you love, etc.....it's a fkn JOKE !

I read your post 10 times over, and you clearly stated how you feel oppressed for your opinions, which indirectly fuel the oppression of other people...it's sheer and pure hypocrisy and i dont know how you can't see that.

I am not attacking you here, nor am I accusing you of intentionally being a hypocrit. However, I feel you are blinded to your own hypocrisy and need to think twice before you make statements like the ones you made before, that is all.

Once again, I never stated my opinion but just used 4 well known examples that are from the Left and Right. You've shown how closed minded you are by labeling me a Conservative. Thanks for proving my points. wink

You ARE a Conservative first of all, you've established that LONG AGO when we had those discussions on Gay Marriage and Abortion. I never said there was ne thing wrong with you being a Conservative...so stop playing the victim here.

Secondly, I was directly addressing your defense of Conservative opinions for a reason. To show the hypocrisy was displayed in your statement, that's ALL, and if you can't take it , then that is your problem not mine.

Bardock42
Do you think that only happens in communitist countries?

Do you think that what you write online has any effect on your personal life (if you know others around you come to the same message board that you comment on)?

Do you think it's right to oppress someone b/c of their ideas, if their perspective is different then the norm?

So, if you were in a communist country, and wrote things online that were different from the norm, do you feel that your phone would be tapped or other issues? Do you think that kind of stuff could happen in the US?

If you don't answer any of these questions, (simply because it doesn't apply or you don't have an opinion) what do you think the true meaning of FREEDOM of speech or Liberity is?

Yes, I did indeed feel oppression because of my opinion. Not in real life, since I am protected there, but on here, it happens that some people with more power, yet less intellect oppress me and others. It is a horrible feeling, you can't openly state your opinions and are not allowed to use the words you want, not even because they are wrong, just because someone doesn't want it. I guess we have to take it as given since we want to use this site, I just wish it weren't the case.

It is especially hurtful when the people oppressing you preach that they are there to protect you. It seems hypocritical to me, but it happens. I guess that's how it must feel to be in such a country that oppresses you...just on a bigger scale.

I can't agree with lil b that it happens in Western countries more, I lived in two of them and I never felt oppression for my ideas. While I know of someone that lives in China that told me even Wikipedia is banned there. I think she is using a wrong definition. Oppression is not when you are attacked by your fellow men for your opinion, but when you get forcibly stopped to state them or even believe them, like for example being restricted from a webpage or being put in jail for them.

Lord Urizen
Oppression is not when you are attacked by your fellow men for your opinion, but when you get forcibly stopped to state them or even believe them, like for example being restricted from a webpage or being put in jail for them.

Exactly

Everyone gets critisized for thier opinion no matter where they are, that is not oppression by any means.

Oppression of and by opinion, like Bardock has stated, is when a person is prevented from or forced not to state thier opinion, and keep thier mouths shut.

Being punished for an opinion, as a means of controlling one's content, is also a form of oppression.

Badabing
"My Agenda"...which is WHAT exactly ? I am so sick of Conservative people using this as a backlash.....they don't know what the hell they are talking about when they use this absurd statement. Again, lumping everybody with a different viewpoint into one category. Thanks for proving my point one more time. Sick of conservatives...they don't know what the hell they are talking about... Real open-minded of you.

What I SAW you write, and what you meant two say are two different things.....you clearly stated that people with Conservative views are oppressed simply because big bad Liberals like me called you guys racist, homophobic, ignorant, etc. for having racist, homophobic, and ignorant points of views. No, what I wrote and meant are the same. Everybody else was able grasp the words and meaning of my post but you couldn't. Your misunderstanding is not my problem. wink

Although I agree with you that it is unfair to be labelled such just for having an opinion, (especially when it can be backed up by reason)...you stated that this is a form of oppression and I find that entirely laughable !Once again you prove how close minded you are and that you read and see only the things you want to read and see. My example used points where people don't support Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Gun Control and Green Energy. Let me break this down for you: Folks who don't support Illegal Immigration and Gay Marriage are considered RIGHT of center and folks who do support Gun Control and Green Energy are considered LEFT of center.
and folks who don't support Gun Control and Green Energy are considered LEFT of center. You see now? I used examples from both sides to make a fair point that both sides engage in the same game. wink

How you can even compare being called names to the oppression of being kicked out of this country for ethnicity and class reasons, to be denied the right to marry the one you love, etc.....it's a fkn JOKE ! The thread starter used the word oppression loosely and I went with it. Again, your misunderstandings aren't my problem. Also, you assume I'm Conservative in ALL my views.nono

I read your post 10 times over, and you clearly stated how you feel oppressed for your opinions, which indirectly fuel the oppression of other people...it's sheer and pure hypocrisy and i dont know how you can't see that. I really don't. Once again you assume things that just aren't there. I never said that I felt oppressed or stated my opinion. Read it again. It seems that you're the only person that didn't understand my post. blink

I am not attacking you here, nor am I accusing you of intentionally being a hypocrit. However, I feel you are blinded to your own hypocrisy and need to think twice before you make statements like the ones you made before, that is all. Coming from the person who thinks it's his duty to spread his own agenda. laughing Not once did I state my opinion in this thread. I merely used 4 examples that showed both sides engage in the same oppression and you tried to fixate those examples onto me as my point of view. If that's the case then I must be a centrist since I evenly divided my examples. Ah, you're wrong again. eek!

You ARE a Conservative first of all, you've established that LONG AGO when we had those discussions on Gay Marriage and Abortion. I never said there was ne thing wrong with you being a Conservative...so stop playing the victim here.

Secondly, I was directly addressing your defense of Conservative opinions for a reason. To show the hypocrisy was displayed in your statement, that's ALL, and if you can't take it , then that is your problem not mine. Um, I never stated an opinion on this thread. Once again, you're assuming things about me. Only a close minded person would label somebody from 2 opinions from other threads. erm As I pointed out earlier, I never stated my opinion but cited examples. What happened to the mantra of free expression and open mindedness? I guess that flies out the window when you perceive an opinion that you don't agree with. A funny thing is it's you who's acting like a hypocrite with a double standard. wink

And that's the no spin truth.

Seraphim XIII
Exactly

Everyone gets critisized for thier opinion no matter where they are, that is not oppression by any means.

Oppression of and by opinion, like Bardock has stated, is when a person is prevented from or forced not to state thier opinion, and keep thier mouths shut.

Being punished for an opinion, as a means of controlling one's content, is also a form of oppression.

I agree with that last bit. I think a bit of hypocrisy is being performed here. I'm not impressed.

xmarksthespot
My example used points where people don't support Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Gun Control and Green Energy.(N.B. not saying it warranted knee-jerk tirade in any way) But the wording was probably ambiguous for anyone who didn't read it properly i.e. the distinction between don't support former two and do support latter two wasn't that clear. Although in the context of the rest of the initial post, context of the rest of the sentence actually, it was perfectly clear.

Badabing
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
(N.B. not saying it warranted knee-jerk tirade in any way) But the wording was probably ambiguous for anyone who didn't read it properly i.e. the distinction between don't support former two and do support latter two wasn't that clear. Although in the context of the rest of the initial post, context of the rest of the sentence actually, it was perfectly clear.
Xmark, don't ever go against the Family again! mad

stick out tongue
You're right. It wasn't perfectly clear but everybody else seemed to get the idea.

Victor Von Doom
This thread is funny.

debbiejo
I like Bardocks little muffs.........

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yes, I did indeed feel oppression because of my opinion. Not in real life, since I am protected there, but on here, it happens that some people with more power, yet less intellect oppress me and others. It is a horrible feeling, you can't openly state your opinions and are not allowed to use the words you want, not even because they are wrong, just because someone doesn't want it. I guess we have to take it as given since we want to use this site, I just wish it weren't the case.

It is especially hurtful when the people oppressing you preach that they are there to protect you. It seems hypocritical to me, but it happens. I guess that's how it must feel to be in such a country that oppresses you...just on a bigger scale.

I can't agree with lil b that it happens in Western countries more, I lived in two of them and I never felt oppression for my ideas. While I know of someone that lives in China that told me even Wikipedia is banned there. I think she is using a wrong definition. Oppression is not when you are attacked by your fellow men for your opinion, but when you get forcibly stopped to state them or even believe them, like for example being restricted from a webpage or being put in jail for them.

Woah, check out the balls on Brad! I concur with the shit you said.

debbiejo
Answer to the question......YES. The story of my life.

PVS
You've got more issues than I could ever give you.

I think PVS is right.

Many people do have opinions composed of shit, fecal matter, turd, that brown stuff (Pick your word) whatever you want to call it. They do not, nor does anybody, deserve default opinion respect.

-AC

ok, just for the closure i have to wrap this up:

no thats not the point. the actual point is that the most cutting insult
can easily come in the form of an opinion. people who believe that every opinion should be respected prove hypocritical when confronted with an opinion which cuts them. the truth of it all lies in the gray area. allowing opinions to exist is one thing, but offering any and every concept or ideal unconditional respect is just insane.

ok im out stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
he was banned...hehehehe....guess he deserved it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
he was banned...hehehehe....guess he deserved it.

Despite you reading the thread and realizing that he didn't?

Rogue Jedi
Despite you reading the thread and realizing that he didn't?
its nothing personal, i just find it hard to believe that anyone gets banned if they didnt do something to warrant it. Lil B has beena mod for a while (i am assuming that she was involved in the decision) and i cant see her banning someone for personal reasons, like if she didnt like them.
bottom line is that if you are banned, its likely that you saw it coming and could have avoided it. even if what you were doing was minor, or, in your eyes not wrong, you get warned. you choose to adhere to those warnings or not. if you try to defy the powers that be, you get spanked. he defied, and he got spanked.

Bardock42
its nothing personal, i just find it hard to believe that anyone gets banned if they didnt do something to warrant it. Lil B has beena mod for a while (i am assuming that she was involved in the decision) and i cant see her banning someone for personal reasons, like if she didnt like them.
bottom line is that if you are banned, its likely that you saw it coming and could have avoided it. even if what you were doing was minor, or, in your eyes not wrong, you get warned. you choose to adhere to those warnings or not. if you try to defy the powers that be, you get spanked. he defied, and he got spanked.

You know you'd make a perfect subject. Don't question authority...they are above us.

Rogue Jedi
You know you'd make a perfect subject. Don't question authority...they are above us.
you are reading way too much into my post. question authority, yes, but also respect their position. they are in no way above us, its just that they have a job to do, and you have to respect that.
i question authority all the time, but i know when to step back and cool it. i guess your buddy didnt know when to pack it in, and he got banned for it.

Bardock42
you are reading way too much into my post. question authority, yes, but also respect their position. they are in no way above us, its just that they have a job to do, and you have to respect that.
i question authority all the time, but i know when to step back and cool it. i guess your buddy didnt know when to pack it in, and he got banned for it.

Jesus Christ.

It is pointless to talk to you, just read what actually happened.

Rogue Jedi
Jesus Christ.

It is pointless to talk to you, just read what actually happened.
your opinion on this subject is biased for two reasons. one, AC is your buddy, right? its natural to feel the way you do about it. if TH were banned, i would raise holy hell about it. secondly, you dont like me for some silly reason. so you are calling me out as i say that him being banned was justified.
i did read what happened. and i stand by my opinion on the matter. same thing happened when slipknot was banned, he was warned several times to cool it, he failed to do so, and he got banned. he deserved it, as did AC. granted, slipknot was a frigging idiot, which AC is not. he should have knowm better.

Bardock42
your opinion on this subject is biased for two reasons. one, AC is your buddy, right? its natural to feel the way you do about it. if TH were banned, i would raise holy hell about it. secondly, you dont like me for some silly reason. so you are calling me out as i say that him being banned was justified.
i did read what happened. and i stand by my opinion on the matter. same thing happened when slipknot was banned, he was warned several times to cool it, he failed to do so, and he got banned. he deserved it, as did AC. granted, slipknot was a frigging idiot, which AC is not. he should have knowm better.

Slipknot was not provoked by a moderator though. Slight difference don't you think? Also, Slipknot did not just participate in an on-topic manner. He didn't deserve a ban...and something went terribly wrong there, but not due to AC.

Me enjoying AC's posts has nothing to do with it.

Rogue Jedi
Slipknot was not provoked by a moderator though. Slight difference don't you think? Also, Slipknot did not just participate in an on-topic manner. He didn't deserve a ban...and something went terribly wrong there, but not due to AC.

Me enjoying AC's posts has nothing to do with it.
AC got off topic here and insulted a mod, plain and simple. even though it was a veiled and very mild insult, it was an insult nonetheless. she did warn him three times, but he kept egging her on. i would have banned him too.
she gave him the chance to take it to pm's, which he obviously didnt take. he chose to keep it here, and she did what she had to do.
i have seen you call people out when they make off topic posts here, as AC did. why does he deserve special treatment? is he like a god or something?
now, someone posted "bad form, LilB." i agree, she shouldnt have gotten so upset, but when she told him to cool it, and he did not, what did he think was gonna happen?

Bardock42
AC got off topic here and insulted a mod, plain and simple. even though it was a veiled and very mild insult, it was an insult nonetheless. she did warn him three times, but he kept egging her on. i would have banned him too.
she gave him the chance to take it to pm's, which he obviously didnt take. he chose to keep it here, and she did what she had to do.
i have seen you call people out when they make off topic posts here, as AC did. why does he deserve special treatment? is he like a god or something?
now, someone posted "bad form, LilB." i agree, she shouldnt have gotten so upset, but when she told him to cool it, and he did not, what did he think was gonna happen?

She made the Off Topic comments. He responded to her. Are you blind. PVS and AC were the ones to contribute to the topic. But there is a thread where that can be discussed: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/411893_107-the-official-kmc-member-banned-thread#post8377384

Rogue Jedi
then why dont you go there and stop with all the psycho babble?

Oncewhite
Brad and Rogue, you two are killing me, I like you both...what's up???

sad

Rogue Jedi
i was just stating that if someone gets banned, they usually have an oppurtunity to prevent it. he disagrees.

Ushgarak
Move it on, folks- back to the topic or this closes.

botankus
Hell, we've all gotten a temp ban at some point or another. Well, except me, which is a little surprising since I've done my share of bombarding all those thread-starting noobs.

Bardock42
At the same time, I am concerend about the political correctness - making people say something in a different way will not make them less racist - in fact it will give them a tool to be racist and biggoted as much as they wish, but through flowery language.

I absolutely agree.

Furthermore, while we are at it, please do not use language like that again.

WrathfulDwarf
Hell, we've all gotten a temp ban at some point or another. Well, except me, which is a little surprising since I've done my share of bombarding all those thread-starting noobs.

Just say it...you rule! w00t

sithsaber408
I absolutely agree.

That's awesome.

Jeez, the thread title in action.

botankus
I think Bardock should be banned if he doesn't give his sig and avi back to that melinda warren bashing OTF person.

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Just say it...you rule! w00t
If I ever got a temp ban I would prefer it to occur on a Friday so I get ready to make my return the next week. I'll try to be the rudest on that day.

debbiejo
Bardock is so cute...........boppin around so happy......

Rogue Jedi
i know there are permanent bans, but what kind of temp bans are there? a day? a week? a month?

Bardock42
i know there are permanent bans, but what kind of temp bans are there? a day? a week? a month?

I think that is the moderators choice.

Rogue Jedi
so its like a judgement call? i gotcha. i guess the banned members history would come into play also.

BackFire
Yep, we can choose anywhere between 1 day to over a year.

Rogue Jedi
really? coooooollll. wish i had that kind of power.

botankus
Does the banned member know how long the ban is? For example, if the ban was for six months they might think it was permanent and never come back.

WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, they will get a note saying why and for how long the banned was.

In my case the infinity ban works miracles with the Trolls.

Rogue Jedi
i hate trolls. they are hairy and stink and stuff.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Does the banned member know how long the ban is? For example, if the ban was for six months they might think it was permanent and never come back.

Someone told me that when you are banned, and try to log in, you get a cute little screen message that tells you how long you are banned for, why you were banned (is that called a 'raison'?), and who banned you.

botankus
That 'who banned you' part is interesting. I wonder what the mindset is when the bannee comes back and gets into another scuffle with the banner.

Bardock42
That 'who banned you' part is interesting. I wonder what the mindset is when the bannee comes back and gets into another scuffle with the banner.

That depends on the person obviously.

The Libertine
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, they will get a note saying why and for how long the banned was.

In my case the infinity ban works miracles with the Trolls.

Judging from the amount of Socks like the recent banning again of Marcus in the comics forum, i'm not so sure. Deleting cookies and shifting an i.p. Who can say?

The Libertine
Ironic

Originally posted by PVS
some people need to be trolled for their own good

Much

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.