Grand Theft Auto IV

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rohangiga
when will come out?(for aus)
Where will it be based?(i think its meant to be whole new place , no lib city, Vic or san andreas int)
and any other info about it

BackFire
Coming out in October.

No one knows any other information, yet. There are rumors about the location, ranging from that it will have an entire country to explore, to that it will have just one city, but the city will be extremely detailed and well crafted and realistic.

Mišt
GTA next gen?

JToTheP
That's what Backfire just said, GTA 4 due out in October for 360, and ps3.

Lana
And the exact release dates (according to IGN) are October 17th in the US, and October 19th in Europe, for the 360 version. IGN says that the PS3 version will be out on the 16th of October in the US, same date for Europe, and 'unreleased' in Australia.

Blaxican
Why does Australia end up getting f*cked whenever it comes to gaming?

JToTheP
Because Australia bans GTA & Manhunt?

Magee
laughing

Sorry to any Australians, I suggest move to either Japan, UK or USA lol.

JToTheP
Japan doesn't get much for GTA either, they hate it.

K73SK
wish they'd fix the search engines to the way they used to be...

Lana
The search engine works much better than it used to.

Though this thread was named slightly misleading-ly so I renamed it.

K73SK
OHH ok lol

here!! http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

Smasandian
Originally posted by JToTheP
Japan doesn't get much for GTA either, they hate it.

Your completely wrong.

GTA SA was released a couple of weeks ago, and it was the highest selling game of the week, or month. The next month afterwords, the game was 5th or so.

simonrob123
well gta4 is coming out on the 360 before ps3
xbox owns rockstar
there bying all the big gaming corps so the have no comedters go xbox

FistOfThe North
GTA 360 will look like "Saint's Row" (which i smashed) The only good coming out of GTA's release is that a week later Halo 3 hit store shelves.

DanZeke25
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
GTA 360 will look like "Saint's Row" (which i smashed) The only good coming out of GTA's release is that a week later Halo 3 hit store shelves.

Do people honestly care if GTA looks like Saints Row. Call me stupid, but I never really thought a game like GTA had to have graphics. roll eyes (sarcastic)

AstroFan
Considering Rockstar made the Table Tennis engine as a test for GTA 4, Id say this will look a lot better than Saints Row.

FistOfThe North
Um Yea, people do actually care how the new GTA will look. It's gonna look and play like "Saint's Row", meaning..

And graphics do count. I know graphics aren't everything but imagine playing this new Grand Theft Auto coming out for the PS3 and the 360, being a good game, yet looks like Grand Theft Auto 3 for ps2 or for psp. I wouldn't be interested, truthfully.

I dunno, maybe it's just me or the next gen kid in me.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Um Yea, people do actually care how the new GTA will look. It's gonna look and play like "Saint's Row", meaning..

And graphics do count. I know graphics aren't everything but imagine playing this new Grand Theft Auto coming out for the PS3 and the 360, being a good game, yet looks like Grand Theft Auto 3 for ps2 or for psp. I wouldn't be interested, truthfully.

I dunno, maybe it's just me or the next gen kid in me.

I highly doubt the new GTA will look like GTA 3 (graphics-wise) at all...

FistOfThe North
lol we know that the new GTA will not look like GTA 3. My point is, is that graphics do count. Not entirely but it does.

And a game like GTA 3 and it's prequels & sequels have to have good graphics. The concept, depth, and theme of the game demands it. GTA 3 and up wouldn't have done as well without good graphics.

I dunno, I'll get it. Reserved it already. Although I'm just about tired of the sandbox theme this version may new things in store.

K73SK
if there's enough interactions in the game to where you can go in any building, pick up any object not too heavy (like Crackdown except the heavy part concidering you can lift up to like 10tons...), and make it to where the car destruction is as realistic as possible....i don't think graphics would matter anymore, as long as it didn't look worse then the old GTA games...

it might just end up looking like Crackdown without the black outlinings to make it look like a comic.

Barker
Hey Lana, *Grand Theft Auto IV.

K73SK
Originally posted by Barker
Hey Lana, *Grand Theft Auto IV. lmao

Smasandian
Originally posted by K73SK
if there's enough interactions in the game to where you can go in any building, pick up any object not too heavy (like Crackdown except the heavy part concidering you can lift up to like 10tons...), and make it to where the car destruction is as realistic as possible....i don't think graphics would matter anymore, as long as it didn't look worse then the old GTA games...

it might just end up looking like Crackdown without the black outlinings to make it look like a comic.

I personally think your asking alot out of GTA4. Some games work well when you can pick up every object, but for GTA4, whats the point? So you can pick up an chair? Wow. So fun. Also, for a game like GTA4, the ability to go into any building is outrageous. The amount of time just to do that would be huge and its pretty pointless. If the building serves an purpose like most open world games, then yeah, its cool, but if its just going into a house for no reason, I rather have more content in terms of missions than this ability.

Graphics in GTA games have never been thier strong suit. Aside of GTA3, the sequels have always been average in terms of graphics. I think the graphics will be roughly the same as Saints Row. Maybe better, maybe worst.

It's probalby going to be like other GTA games, but we dont know yet because they're hasnt been a lick of news of the game, aside from the trailer release later this month.

MadMel
heh..its gta..we can import it..

K73SK
Originally posted by Smasandian
I personally think your asking alot out of GTA4. Some games work well when you can pick up every object, but for GTA4, whats the point? So you can pick up an chair? Wow. So fun. Also, for a game like GTA4, the ability to go into any building is outrageous. The amount of time just to do that would be huge and its pretty pointless. If the building serves an purpose like most open world games, then yeah, its cool, but if its just going into a house for no reason, I rather have more content in terms of missions than this ability.

Graphics in GTA games have never been thier strong suit. Aside of GTA3, the sequels have always been average in terms of graphics. I think the graphics will be roughly the same as Saints Row. Maybe better, maybe worst.

It's probalby going to be like other GTA games, but we dont know yet because they're hasnt been a lick of news of the game, aside from the trailer release later this month. was never saying they had to do this, i'm just saying if they made the graphics a huge problem to everyone, then those things might fix the problem...don't make a big deal out of it erm

Smasandian
I'm not.

I just thought what you asked was asking alot. Even if the graphics were "bad", what you ask would be alot.

K73SK
yes but GTA needs a little something new :P

Magee
Hard to add something new when they have pretty much done it all. You can fly, drive, walk, jog, run, swim, cycle and hijack cars, boats,trains, planes, jets etc etc. Graphics are not important in GTA, san andreas graphics would be fine by me for GTA4 so long as it has improved interactivity of the world, and since they have original templates to work with and have add plenty of time I don't think it's to much to ask. I mean they don't have to create the city/country in gta4 from scratch as they already have previous games where they can take things like a block of buildings to fill space, neighbourhoods, vehicles and stuff like forests, country side etc. So what I would really want is to be able to say (just an example) fly a jet in to a building while jumping out at the last second and have that building be damaged/ fall down. Other stuff like cutting down tree's with chain saws being able to go in to a lot more buildings and stuff lol. Just examples but all I want is a country size map to explore and the most interactive gta we have ever seen.

History Buff
I'd like to be able to sneek onto a NASA-type base and steal a space shuttle-like vessel. Now THAT would be AWESOME!!!!!

Rohangiga
Originally posted by Magee
Hard to add something new when they have pretty much done it all. You can fly, drive, walk, jog, run, swim, cycle and hijack cars, boats,trains, planes, jets etc etc. Graphics are not important in GTA, san andreas graphics would be fine by me for GTA4 so long as it has improved interactivity of the world, and since they have original templates to work with and have add plenty of time I don't think it's to much to ask. I mean they don't have to create the city/country in gta4 from scratch as they already have previous games where they can take things like a block of buildings to fill space, neighbourhoods, vehicles and stuff like forests, country side etc. So what I would really want is to be able to say (just an example) fly a jet in to a building while jumping out at the last second and have that building be damaged/ fall down. Other stuff like cutting down tree's with chain saws being able to go in to a lot more buildings and stuff lol. Just examples but all I want is a country size map to explore and the most interactive gta we have ever seen.
i have heard from other people that it is not meant to have any of the old citys in it, because it is meant to be a whole new place with different citys in it

The big EH
Originally posted by Rohangiga
when will come out?(for aus)
Where will it be based?(i think its meant to be whole new place , no lib city, Vic or san andreas int)
and any other info about it it came out like 4 years ago, Vice city is gta 4, 2 is pretty much my favourite though

Puzzle
Originally posted by The big EH
it came out like 4 years ago, Vice city is gta 4, 2 is pretty much my favourite though

Umm...wrong.

If we used your logic then GTA 3 would have been GTA 4. roll eyes (sarcastic)

GTA
GTA: London, 1969
GTA 2
GTA 3
GTA 4 (in development)
GTA: Vice City (notice the lack of a 4 in the title)
GTA: San Andreas (once again, no number in title)

Morridini
it came out like 4 years ago, Vice city is gta 4, 2 is pretty much my favourite though

GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas can almost be called expansions for GTA 3, as they are not continued on the series just better and bigger versions of 3.

Puzzle
Originally posted by Morridini
GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas can almost be called expansions for GTA 3, as they are not continued on the series just better and bigger versions of 3.

I wouldn't say they are basically 3 either, completely different areas and eras. They are more like prequels to the GTA series than anything else.

H. S. 6
Graphics aren't as important as destructibility/interactivity with the environment, which is crucial in a game like GTA.

Rohangiga
also wrong because by your logic it would be called GTA 9 ( see 8 games before gta 4)

GTA
GTA 2
GTA 3
GTA: Liberty city stories
GTA: Vice city stories
(and finally) GTA: 4

Magee
Yes this has been established.

Puzzle
Originally posted by Rohangiga
also wrong because by your logic it would be called GTA 9 ( see 8 games before gta 4)

GTA
GTA 2
GTA 3
GTA: Liberty city stories
GTA: Vice city stories
(and finally) GTA: 4

Wow you can copy and paste and throw in a couple games that I didn't care about. stick out tongue

Smasandian
I rather say that San Andreas and Vice City are episodes of GTA3 than expansion packs, because it uses the same of everything.

WrathfulDwarf
I just can't stop thinking how BIG this game is going to be....as long as I get my hours and hours of hijacking cars, shooting, making money, etc....it's all good.

BackFire
I hope they expand the 'leveling up' feature they introduced in San Andreas. I really liked that aspect of it.

Morridini
Originally posted by BackFire
I hope they expand the 'leveling up' feature they introduced in San Andreas. I really liked that aspect of it.

Been a very long time since I played through San Andreas, I don't remember anything like that. Explain?

Smasandian
Yeah, its a good feature, just had to be implemented better.

To get fit, you worked out.
You gained levels in guns which made your lock on ability better.
Driving motercycles alot stopped you from falling off easily.

Stuff like that.

I just hope they make sandbox games more exicting and less repetitive. Played through Saints Row and started Just Cause, and I got bored too quickly. Thought I already saw it before. Just hope the change the gameplay a bit to mix things up.
I also hope they get rid of that awful mission structure on where you die near the end of the mission and have to redo the whole thing from the beginning of the mission, even before you drive to the mission briefing. Hopefully some checkpionts our invovled.

Morridini
Ohh, a better word would be "skill system" then "leveling up".

G U I T A R
They are all the same who cares. rolleyes1

PiruBlood
for once in the gta series i want to play a kurrupt cop. cause think we did the mob then the gangsta games. i think if we can play a corrupt cop and have certain connections i.e gangs and mob.

Morridini
Originally posted by G U I T A R
They are all the same who cares. rolleyes1

Because one makes u think of the "increasing bike skill" system etc and the other doesn't.

Smasandian
Well, they're the same.

It's an skill system, and when you do each skill alot, you level up to a better skill.

Morridini
Well the words "lever up" are used so much in other games, thus I don't associate that with the biking skills and eating food in GTA.

Smasandian
Yeah, but your levelling up your skills.

You go from gangster level, to hitman level in weapons. That's levelling up.

Stun
screenshots, tried to get 'em as fast as i can!

the trailer's been up for over an hour now, go check it out!
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/trailer_splash.html

Stun
http://i5.tinypic.com/314f61s.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/2pyc4mv.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/2w4csnr.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/43woymc.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/315bhgl.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/2vl89sg.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/43peu78.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/2e21aoz.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/3zh37mv.jpg

WrathfulDwarf
IT'S HERE! THE TRAILER!!!!

HlF6fbIFiCM&eurl=

*orgasm*

Stun
graphics are sooo awesomecool took me over an hour to see it, servers went dead!

WrathfulDwarf
Same here...so I check youtube to see if anyone already uploaded. The guy looks almost like Leon. Pretty interesting.

Stun
i also like the fact that it's not set in a fictional city for once, london being the exception.

AstroFan
I think its actually a remodeled(very NY inspired) version of Liberty City. There are quite a few "Liberty" mentions in the trailer.

H. S. 6
Were the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building in Liberty City?

Silverstein
i just saw the trailer on Attack Of The Show, it looks sick, what i hope they have is like some form of interaction with civilians, like in crackdown you cant talk to anyone, either ppl walk by, or run away. even past gta, you cant like stop and talk to anyone, even just a little thing, expand on that, idunno just my thoughts

AstroFan
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Were the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building in Liberty City?

No.

But signs in "Times Sqaure" advertise the Liberty Tree and one I am certain says "Welcome to Liberty City".

Silverstein
most likely a new revamped liberty city with possibly SOME similar places to the original as a reminder of the older games, or just a misleading joke in the trailer

Barker
Guess I'll be picking up a 360 soon. haermm

Silverstein
haha get the Elite 360

how else can they add more innovation to gta iv?
and how did saints row improve upon gta san andreas?

Smasandian
I dont think they're going to innovate anything.

GTA games have been roughly the same since the original, the same type of mission structure, same type of things to do.

They just add more and more to each installement. GTA3 was innovating in regards to how they handled the graphics and the big city, but its still roughly GTA.

I'm thinking this will be like any other GTA game, but with the added graphics, its probably going to be a much more immersive game. Specially, if they make the city real (which it looks like).

But one thing is for sure, the graphics are out of this world. One question, is that guy Russian?

InnerRise
The city in this game is made after New York City.

So the firing of Rocket Launches comes to the minds of people considering 9/11 and if enough time has passed and the such.

In my opinion it didn't really look like anything special.

Someone lent me the first grand theft auto when it first came out and I played around with it a long little while and it was ok gameplay...not enough that I'd want to buy it though, thus why I have purchased no GTA Games.

Just like Sports games. I may come across somebody's game and I'd play around with it but I've never purchased a sports game.

Anyway. Yeah. This game doesn't look special at all.

I did like the "GetaLife" building. (WINK WINK)(HINT HINT) wink

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Smasandian
It's an teaser trailer.

It actually didnt show anything aside from the amazing graphics and pretty sweet voice acting.

That's pretty much it.

Gotta wait for the preview.

You dont like GTA games, thats why you think its not special, but I like GTA games and I find this pretty interesting.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Silverstein
haha get the Elite 360

how else can they add more innovation to gta iv?
and how did saints row improve upon gta san andreas?

The elite isnt worth it. I thought it was going to have the new CPU in it, which would have made in worth it. It doesnt so your paying around $80 for HDMI instead of component and a bigger HD which is not needed.

Game looks sweet so far.

Innovation wise I would like the environment to be more involved in the game. Mainly with the various NPC's in the game, and with buildings. Would be sweet if you go inside where ever you want, especially if you could just go break down a door or window to get in places.

Morridini
Wow, we are playing a non-American this time around? And in NY? Nice.

Refused
They better fix the clunky controls of the GTA 3 engine. I want it to control like Mario 64...smooth and responsive.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by forumcrew
The elite isnt worth it. I thought it was going to have the new CPU in it, which would have made in worth it. It doesnt so your paying around $80 for HDMI instead of component and a bigger HD which is not needed.

Game looks sweet so far.

Innovation wise I would like the environment to be more involved in the game. Mainly with the various NPC's in the game, and with buildings. Would be sweet if you go inside where ever you want, especially if you could just go break down a door or window to get in places.

knowing Microsoft it might be peoples only choice if they wait too long

Skeets
Guess I'll be picking up a 360 soon. haermm
Oh,you.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by AstroFan
No.

But signs in "Times Sqaure" advertise the Liberty Tree and one I am certain says "Welcome to Liberty City".

Maybe in the GTA world Liberty city is near NY. hmm

Smasandian
Maybe, they decided just to revisit Liberty City.

If you think about it, if they correctly get New York, thats a massive amount of space to explore in.

H. S. 6
No.

Yeah, maybe a "fictionalized" New York.

ragesRemorse
from the trailer, the game looks very different than sains row. Not to mention the GTA series is much different than saints row to begin with

Silverstein
they need more interaction between civillian NPCs and between that and the character.

when i put myself in the shoes of a moster or gangsta, i gotta out smart the cops, and get like armour piercing rounds, a cool thing might be, "create-a-firearm" thing. or even "plan-a-terrorist-attack" lol

they gotta have a create-a-character option, for xbox live so you can roll with your gang in liberty city. the dude is in the trailer but i just dont want to think its the character i HAVE to play as erm

Smasandian
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1556830/20070411/index.jhtml

Info about the location of GTA4.

One tidbit I definitly didnt like was that they're might be no planes.

InnerRise
I'm not surprised that there may not be any airplanes.

Silverstein
they'll probably make it an update if it isn't in the game initially. like Crackdown

Avenger2.0
Doesn't the main character(the russian/serbian dude) look like the sniper out of Behind Enemy Lines.

Smasandian
Originally posted by InnerRise
I'm not surprised that there may not be any airplanes.

I dont know.

I havnt played the original GTA3, but the last two had planes.

I would assume atleast helicopters because when I played Saints Row, thats one thing I missed. I love riding the planes.

InnerRise
Did the last 2 games contain a city that was based off of New York City?

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Silverstein
San Andreas was like based off San Fransico wasnt it? with the hills and the trolleys

J-Beowulf
Looks awesome.

First of all, Russians are badass. Seriously. More generally, actually, since nothing's been confirmed, Eastern Europeans are badass. The organized crime groups they've got there are ruthless. You NEVER piss off the Russians.

Second, it's based off of New York City.

Third, the graphics look sweet.

This may be the first GTA game I will actually buy.

Smasandian

It was based on LA, San Fran, and Las Vegas and everything in between. The area was massive, but for me, lots of fun driving to missions. That's why I like GTA games soo much is the tunes and the driving to missions and the cool locales, especiall SA.

Driving in country on the Sanchez, see a farm, realized that it was the farm from one mission, and then drive by a chemcial plant. I dont know why, but too me thats really fun.

Vice City was based off Miami and the original games were based in London.

Only one was based off New York, but its obviously that GTA4 will be alot more in depth.

Puzzle
San Andreas was like based off San Fransico wasnt it? with the hills and the trolleys

San Andreas was based off of California/Nevada:

Los Santos = Las Angeles
San Fierro = San Fransisco
Las Venturas = Las Vegas

BackFire
Yep.

San Andreas is the fault that runs through most of california and it's neighboring states, which is where the game got it's name, as far as I know.

((The_Anomaly))

No they didnt, but GTA3's Liberty City is, I'm pretty sure this new one is also Liberty City, seeing as in the trailer there are the words "liberty" slapped all over the place.

Also..I'm pretty sure ALL the actual 'numbered' GTA's take place in Liberty City as the last two were not nubered GTA games. Which is why GTA3 (and all previous 2D games) was in Liberty City, and now GTA4 is also in Libert City

§P0oONY
the original games were based in London.

Only one was based off New York, but its obviously that GTA4 will be alot more in depth.
Only GTA: London was based in London... 1, 2, 3, 4 are based in Liberty City (New York), like The Anomaly just stated.

Smasandian
Actually, to be technical.

GTA1 was based in Miami, New York and LA.
GTA2 was based in an fictional city.

According to Wiki.

Victor Von Doom
The trailer is shit. Doesn't raise any expectations at all, as far as I'm concerned. Might as well be a documentary on bridges.

BackFire
The graphics are nice.

Plus there was an "America's Next Top Hooker" billboard. That was cool.

Victor Von Doom
Nice compared to the previous shit, certainly.

Those graphics were intolerable.

BackFire
You are.

Silverstein
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Nice compared to the previous shit, certainly.

Those graphics were intolerable.

for a guy that sounds liek he is not too fond of gta iv and previous gta games, why are you in here? and dont give me the freedom of speech/ill do what i want crap.

Victor Von Doom
for a guy that sounds liek he is not too fond of gta iv and previous gta games, why are you in here? and dont give me the freedom of speech/ill do what i want crap.

Hahaha.

Wasn't aware it was a unanimous praise thread; thought we were to comment on the game.

Also, don't forget that when you assume, you make an ass out of you and...mostly just you.

Silverstein
alright ill keep that in mind, troll wink

Victor Von Doom
Feel free- do whatever you wish.

Doesn't affect me in any real way, so it doesn't matter to me.

It's a nice way to view things.

Goblin.

Barker
I want planes and highways. no expression

H. S. 6
I want planes and highways. no expression

Agreed.

I want more than that, too. Like... bikes.

Barker
Yeah, but you prefer planes and countrysides..

right? no expression

AstroFan
Aside from countryside, I dont think anything should be removed. Going next gen isnt an excuse to remove features. *glares at EA*

H. S. 6
Yeah, but you prefer planes and countrysides..

right? no expression

Yeah. And... Big Foot.

Except I want Big Foot to be actually in it this time.

Barker
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Yeah. And... Big Foot.

Except I want Big Foot to be actually in it this time.
They shaved him and made him the main character.

H. S. 6
They shaved him and made him the main character.

Well, I can't very well snipe myself from a treetop, can I?

Barker
I know. I didn't know about the Bigfoot GTA thing until I just read it a minute ago.

I live under a rock.

Morridini
Can't they just spend 10 years making GTA 5 and call it GTA USA? With the entire country with every city and everything! Although that game would be kinda expensive to buy.

Smasandian
Yeah, kinda of. Hahaha.

It would expensive of course, but !!!.... it would be the game that ends all games.

Just think of how many days it will take your character to access a mission from New York to LA. Awesome hahahaha.

((The_Anomaly))
I honestly don't see them doing much different to this game, nothing innovative or new. Maybe new vehicles, better graphics, and bigger area to walk around in, but other then that it'll be the same ol' GTA and honestly I'm starting to grow tired of it. erm

I just hope they do something new before people start to grow tired of the same stuff and then the franchise starts to go downhill.

Smasandian
I dont know.

Rockstar is a pretty good developer. It looks like its going to be different.

Every franchise is like this. Zelda and Mario are one of the biggest contributers of being the same thing. But the difference between Zelda, Mario and GTA is they are excellent crafted games so people look past that they're playing the same game pretty much. Dont tell me that Zelda has significantly changed because it hasnt, which isnt a bad thing.

Silverstein
I dont know.

Every franchise is like this. Zelda and Mario are one of the biggest contributers of being the same thing. But the difference between Zelda, Mario and GTA is they are excellent crafted games so people look past that they're playing the same game pretty much. Dont tell me that Zelda has significantly changed because it hasnt, which isnt a bad thing.

very well said indeed, seriously. cool

and to those looking at GTA IV negatively, all i have to say is, it is only a teaser trailer. It's like the transformers movie teaser where it had the mars landing, although in the actual movie, it is stated that mars will not be in the film at all.

Alpha Centauri
There hasn't ever been a Transformers live action movie, though, so there's no base for comparison.

There are three next-gen GTA games for people to base their assumptions on.

-AC

Smasandian
True.

I thought the trailer was okay. Nothing mind bloggling. It showed the graphics engine, showed where its at and the main character and what to expect.

I assume if you liked GTA games before, your going to like this one.

((The_Anomaly))
I dont know.

I'm not asking for a complete change, but in each game (Zelda and Mario) there is at least ONE major thing different. GTA is always exactly the same and always has been.

Mario 64- 3D and a different world setup
Mario Sunshine - The water backpack.
The upcoming Super Mario Galaxy - An apparent HUGE change to the Mario series as it is in space and there are whole new gameplay mechanics to accompany it, like gravity and the Wiimote pointer stuff.
Zelda OoT - 3D and the old/ young Link time travel
Zelda MM: The replaying of the 3 days and the transformations into different races as well as the awesome NPC quests that depend on the 3 day scheme.
Zelda TWW: Lots changed, graphics, overworld into water, and boating.
Zelda TP: Transformation into the Wolf and the new sword abilities, as well they got rid of the instruments that had been present since OoT, i.e. there are no songs. (besides the little wold howl parts but they hardly count) As well (at least with Wii) new control mechanics.

My point is that both the series, while they keeping the same core gameplay, are always changing and adding new things or subtracting things that have become old and overdone (i.e Zelda's instruments and songs). With each Mario or Zelda game there is usually something new that substantially changes some major aspects of the gameplay and keeps the games fresh and interesting. GTA however has yet to do this, the best they have done is add new vehicles, swimming and make the gameworld bigger and bigger each time, but it does not change any of the gameplay mechanics or add anything substantially new or different to do like the Mario and Zelda franchises.

I'm not trying to say the GTA series is bad, I like it fine, I'm just saying it REALLY needs something new that will change at least a good portion of the gameplay because I got bored or GTA: SA about a quarter of the way through because it was essentially the EXACT same game I'd been playing since GTA3.

Smasandian
I think that GTA adds just amount of things to warrent a new game but keeping the same core gameplay.

I'm just saying that Zelda, Mario and GTA are pretty much alike when it comes to adding new things in sequels.

((The_Anomaly))
I think that GTA adds just amount of things to warrent a new game but keeping the same core gameplay.

I'm just saying that Zelda, Mario and GTA are pretty much alike when it comes to adding new things in sequels.

I don't think so, not really. GTA adds new 'things' to the game, but it does not actually change anything. Zelda and Mario add new things that DO change things, sometimes a lot. With the additions I talked about it becomes possible to do puzzles and powers and new gameplay things that didn't happen in the previous Zelda's/ Mario's because those gameplay mechanics weren't there. GTA has yet to add anything that does this. A new gun or a new car, while new, isn't actually anything different, such things don't really open up new gameplay possibilities. The biggest addition to the GTA series was the flying vehicles as they did add something that allowed for slightly new gameplay possibilities but it was essentially the same as driving, except faster. What I'm saying is that GTA needs to add something Marjory different to open up new possibilities in the game. For instance, why not do a cover system? It would make the gun battles more interesting and intense. Why not add a stationary FPS mode where you can shoot specific body parts a la Metal Gear Solid? why not have it so that you actually have to hot-wire and jack cars that are locked and don't have keys in the ignition (everyone apparently leaves their keys in their cars in the GTA universe lol). Why not make the police system better? Like why do you get 'busted' for nicking someone else's car or while driving fast? A cop isn't going to throw you out of his car and point his gun at you in real life, he's just gonna give you a ticket etc. There is so many things they could do that would open up new gameplay possibilities but they haven't done anything like it.

Silverstein
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I don't think so, not really. GTA adds new 'things' to the game, but it does not actually change anything. Zelda and Mario add new things that DO change things, sometimes a lot. With the additions I talked about it becomes possible to do puzzles and powers and new gameplay things that didn't happen in the previous Zelda's/ Mario's because those gameplay mechanics weren't there. GTA has yet to add anything that does this. A new gun or a new car, while new, isn't actually anything different, such things don't really open up new gameplay possibilities. The biggest addition to the GTA series was the flying vehicles as they did add something that allowed for slightly new gameplay possibilities but it was essentially the same as driving, except faster. What I'm saying is that GTA needs to add something Marjory different to open up new possibilities in the game. For instance, why not do a cover system? It would make the gun battles more interesting and intense. Why not add a stationary FPS mode where you can shoot specific body parts a la Metal Gear Solid? why not have it so that you actually have to hot-wire and jack cars that are locked and don't have keys in the ignition (everyone apparently leaves their keys in their cars in the GTA universe lol). Why not make the police system better? Like why do you get 'busted' for nicking someone else's car or while driving fast? A cop isn't going to throw you out of his car and point his gun at you in real life, he's just gonna give you a ticket etc. There is so many things they could do that would open up new gameplay possibilities but they haven't done anything like it.

they probably are gonna do that for GTA!! GOW took many things from other games like killswitch and resident evil, i just don't know if GTA can take things like a cover system like GOW and get away with it. The things you named for gta, it just sounds so simple, that i hope they do it lol, but from previous gta games, they probably use the motto "if its not broken, dont fix it"

Smasandian
I disagree still.

Playing TP right now and I get same feeling that I get when I played OoT.

Victor Von Doom
I don't think so, not really. GTA adds new 'things' to the game, but it does not actually change anything. Zelda and Mario add new things that DO change things, sometimes a lot. With the additions I talked about it becomes possible to do puzzles and powers and new gameplay things that didn't happen in the previous Zelda's/ Mario's because those gameplay mechanics weren't there. GTA has yet to add anything that does this. A new gun or a new car, while new, isn't actually anything different, such things don't really open up new gameplay possibilities. The biggest addition to the GTA series was the flying vehicles as they did add something that allowed for slightly new gameplay possibilities but it was essentially the same as driving, except faster.

Indeed. Remains to be seen if this one will buck that trend.

BackFire
Supposedly this one is going to add more to the atmospheric side of things. Make the city feel real and alive.

Silverstein
^ yeah man, i think that was the main focus and what the teaser was trying to convey. Maybe itll even have seasons, spring summer, winter fall...ofcourse the weather fx.

One thing i noticed in Crackdown was that it was just, day and nite, no rain no fog...i cant wait for gta iv

Alpha Centauri
I still don't understand the emphasis with all this "Make it feel real and alive.".

Rockstar put the cart before the horse. They try to make a good game by making it feel real and alive, rather than making it feel real and alive by making a good game.

Crackdown had the right idea in that it didn't focus on ultra realism, which GTA doesn't even have in the first place. It had fun elements and as a result, the game seemed more realistic. They made it fun to explore a huge city and actually did give freedom. GTA don't do that. In Crackdown you can go to the top of any building, go anywhere almost, but in unrealistic ways. You can't do any of that in any GTA.

-AC

Smasandian
Why are we comparing Crackdown to GTA?

The problem of GTA was the lack of atmosphere. I assuming that Rockstar is going to try to add the atmosphere to GTA. Creating NPC's that just dont walk around doing nothing, but instead creating NPC's that have a purpose in the game world aside from just being there.

AstroFan
I just hope we get better physics and animation, I hated how you look the same everytime you die in all three GTA games. stick out tongue

BackFire
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I still don't understand the emphasis with all this "Make it feel real and alive.".

Rockstar put the cart before the horse. They try to make a good game by making it feel real and alive, rather than making it feel real and alive by making a good game.

Crackdown had the right idea in that it didn't focus on ultra realism, which GTA doesn't even have in the first place. It had fun elements and as a result, the game seemed more realistic. They made it fun to explore a huge city and actually did give freedom. GTA don't do that. In Crackdown you can go to the top of any building, go anywhere almost, but in unrealistic ways. You can't do any of that in any GTA.

-AC

In GTA 4 they're going to be giving much more freedom, you weren't able to do a lot of that stuff in the previous GTA games because of the limitations of the software, that limitation has been all but removed, so I'm confident we'll see much more interesting and compelling ways to explore the city.

The main thing I want to see changed is the gun aiming mechanics, hated that shit.

Not as much as I hate you, though.

Silverstein
Why are we comparing Crackdown to GTA?

The problem of GTA was the lack of atmosphere. I assuming that Rockstar is going to try to add the atmosphere to GTA. Creating NPC's that just dont walk around doing nothing, but instead creating NPC's that have a purpose in the game world aside from just being there.

i was comparing it to GTA as in: crackdown lacks a lot of things.

but yeah, i rly cant wait for gta iv, just the thought of doing the taxi missions and stuff again, hope they add way more stuff like that, and expand on the good stuff, fix the bad and yeah.

Smasandian
I played Vice City and SA on the computer, so I didnt really have that problem.

Driving was a ***** though...stupid arrow keys.

Silverstein
i cant wait for gta iv, im gonna go buy Saints Row real soon, if its worth playing, anyone play Saints Row?

AstroFan
Best GTA ripoff there is. stick out tongue

It is fun, but its not on the same level. I played all the way through, it does some cool things that GTA should try.

Silverstein
Best GTA ripoff there is. stick out tongue

It is fun, but its not on the same level. I played all the way through, it does some cool things that GTA should try.

lol sounds awesome, i just hope it holds me til gta iv or w/e.

((The_Anomaly))
I disagree still.

Playing TP right now and I get same feeling that I get when I played OoT.

Not to be mean but your obviously not really paying much attention then. Playing as Wolf Link feels and is considerably different then anything done in any previous Zelda, just as MM's 3 day theme was considerably different, and each mask transformation was different, as was the sailing and water exploration in TWW. Each game introduces something invariably different, not only in feeling but also in gameplay and its inevitable involvement in opening up new gameplay possibilities and mechanics. GTA has lacked any change that would open up said new gameplay possibilities. Since its first 3D installment it has basically been the exact same game, yes with minor changes, but nothing that really opens up the possibility for any new gameplay. Basically what I'm saying is that the lack of any new or different gameplay mechanics in GTA are becoming tiresome and old, while franchises with more creative developers like Mario and Zelda are always adding something new and different to the mix with something that adds a slight freshness to the gameplay with doing things that had not been done before, this keeps it from becoming stale. GTA needs to do the same thing, and it needs to be in this next installment IMO. If I buy GTA4 and it ends up being the exact same thing again then I wont ever buy another GTA game after it until I'm certain some new and interesting gameplay has been added.

WrathfulDwarf
I still hold my theory that Liberty City is near NY. hmm

InnerRise
I thought that was pretty much confirmed. hmmm

Smasandian
Not to be mean but your obviously not really paying much attention then. Playing as Wolf Link feels and is considerably different then anything done in any previous Zelda, just as MM's 3 day theme was considerably different, and each mask transformation was different, as was the sailing and water exploration in TWW. Each game introduces something invariably different, not only in feeling but also in gameplay and its inevitable involvement in opening up new gameplay possibilities and mechanics. GTA has lacked any change that would open up said new gameplay possibilities. Since its first 3D installment it has basically been the exact same game, yes with minor changes, but nothing that really opens up the possibility for any new gameplay. Basically what I'm saying is that the lack of any new or different gameplay mechanics in GTA are becoming tiresome and old, while franchises with more creative developers like Mario and Zelda are always adding something new and different to the mix with something that adds a slight freshness to the gameplay with doing things that had not been done before, this keeps it from becoming stale. GTA needs to do the same thing, and it needs to be in this next installment IMO. If I buy GTA4 and it ends up being the exact same thing again then I wont ever buy another GTA game after it until I'm certain some new and interesting gameplay has been added.

Your opinion differs from mine then. That's it.

((The_Anomaly))
Its not an opinion though, you cant have an opinion on the fact that there are new gameplay mechanics. The fact is that there is new gameplay mechanics in each game that the previous lacked. You cant have an opinion on the fact that something is there. You can not like whats there, but you cant have an opinion on the actual existence of it.

WrathfulDwarf
I hope they get rid of those boring radio controlled airplane missions in this game.

Silverstein
GTA san andreas WAS different enough, there are plenty of new features in San Andreas to add along with the familar gameplay
-ability to swim
-over 190 vehicles (cars, *planes*, bikes, motorbikes, boats, etc)
-more emphasis on character personalization and rpg elements
-different styles of hand-to-hand combat
-car modifcation
-gang wars: territory control
-robbery
-minigames
-multiplayer

i believe those all, change the experience and make it considerably different, with a new story and tons of new features i believe that credits for an entirely new game.

Smasandian
Dude, its opinion because what I feel about Zelda is that even though they had all this new stuff, its just the same thing over and over again but it looks different.

Windwaker had water and your boated around an huge ocean. How is that different from running around, or riding an horse in OaT? Instead of water, its land.

Turn into a beast to kill all those insects of evil. That's the same thing as in Minish Cap where you turn into a mini me. Same thing, different look. Same goes with the time puzzles.

Barker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I hope they get rid of those impossible radio controlled airplane missions in this game.

Smasandian
Yeah, I have to agree with WD. Those remote controlled levels were annoying as hell, nothing beats the helicopter one in Vice City where you blow up the building.

Morridini
That one was surprisingly easy on the PC version, impossible on the X-Box version though.

Smasandian
I had a horrible time with it.

It was a blend of bad controls, insane time limit and oh wait a minute, guys who blow up the helicopter. I also think they're was guns involved.

I hated that mission.

BackFire
From what I understand there won't be airplanes in this one.

R8#@NG!G@
will there be helicopters
and from what i saw in the trailor the graphics did not look that good

PiruBlood
Originally posted by R8#@NG!G@
will there be helicopters
and from what i saw in the trailor the graphics did not look that good

i dont think so man. if no plaines are in the game why would helicopters be?

Morridini
Because helicopters only require small landing pads, and not a full Airport.

FistOfThe North
Whoa! I take it back. I thought GTA IV would regularly look like "Saint's Row" graphically. The trailer only showed me that GTA IV blows "S.R." out the water by 10x to me!

The game looks incredible! omg! And they're still not finished with it yet. I haven't really got into GTA since "Vice City" (the best GTA, imo). But i'm definitely looking forward to this one. It'll be a good time with Halo 3 due within 2 weeks of GTA IV, too. Man o man.

I downloaded watch that GTA IV trailer at least once a day. I never did that with any game before.

I love the "IV" stcikers plastered all over my city by vandals where i live. I just look at those stickers and smile and nod. I pre-ordered my copy last year, like in Nov. so, i'm ready.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Morridini
Because helicopters only require small landing pads, and not a full Airport.

But New York has airports.

If the size of the city is typical of Vice City,then yeah, why no planes?

But even though, its one city, nonbody what the actual scale of the map is....it could potentially be big.

WrathfulDwarf
Good! no airplanes...those missions are dumb.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>