Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nactous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3bqyq9QQY& amp;eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fkotaku%2Ecom%2Fgaming%2Fyout
ube%2Fstar%2Dwars%2Dnext%2Dgen%2Dpeek%2Dup%2Dfor%2
Dnow%2D189204%2Ephp

OR swknights.com and click where it says to under Please Lucasarts.

Could be better than KotOR!

Cerberus
Looks pretty good cool

crazy_shadow
y did that 1 stormtrooper that was by himself start running at him? like wtf, shoot ur gun, dont fist fight a lightsabre

Cerberus
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
y did that 1 stormtrooper that was by himself start running at him? like wtf, shoot ur gun, dont fist fight a lightsabre

Thats an unfair question. Stormtroopers are dumb as hell laughing out loud Actually he would put up a better fight hand to hand because they can't aim worth a crap erm big grin

Lana
I think the Force powers may just be a teeny bit overpowered stick out tongue

Cerberus
Originally posted by Lana

Just a teeny bit? laughing out loud

Lana
Originally posted by Cerberus
Just a teeny bit? laughing out loud

Seems to me like they're going the NJO route and turning the Jedi into Goku clones laughing out loud erm

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Nactous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3bqyq9QQY& amp;eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fkotaku%2Ecom%2Fgaming%2Fyout
ube%2Fstar%2Dwars%2Dnext%2Dgen%2Dpeek%2Dup%2Dfor%2
Dnow%2D189204%2Ephp

OR swknights.com and click where it says to under Please Lucasarts.

Could be better than KotOR!

my god.. that was hot as hell... is it action or RPG?... cuz I wanna duel my friends with multiplayer in that! >_<

SnakeEyes
I always drool over these awesome next-gen games, but I should really know not to by now, because there's no way in hell I'll have enough money to get a PS3, 360 or a Wii.

Mišt
If that was a real game, that looks fecking crazyshock

I love the last part when he's throwing the stormtrooper around laughing out loud

"Thanks to the recent San Diego Comic Con, a first video of the next big Star Wars console game has been leaked onto the internet.

It is supposedly a part of the same behind closed doors demo that vowed the press at E3. The demo is said to show "target footage", meaning it is pre-rendered, but should look similarly in the end. "Star Wars 2007" (project name) is currently scheduled to be released next year for the Xbox 360 and PS3."

****, doesnt say anyhting about a PC release....looks like I'll be forking out for a 360 then shock

LanceWindu
Pre-rendered...

Mišt
The demo is said to show "target footage", meaning it is pre-rendered, but should look similarly in the end. "Star Wars 2007" (project name) is currently scheduled to be released next year for the Xbox 360 and PS3."

You losemhm

Ushgarak
Seems to me like they're going the NJO route and turning the Jedi into Goku clones laughing out loud erm

WHY do games makers never show any proportion?

They talk about trying to caputre the spirit of the films, yet what they create is absolutely nothing like what we see on screen.

SaTsuJiN
they're just pounding the keyboard all day.... I think someone involved in the creation of the films would have to direct the art and feel for it to shine as closely as possible to its movie counterpart

Lana
Originally posted by Ushgarak
WHY do games makers never show any proportion?

They talk about trying to caputre the spirit of the films, yet what they create is absolutely nothing like what we see on screen.

Because they suck. I've come to this firm decision.

I mean really. Jedi are never shown that powerful. FFS. If they could fling stuff about like that, they'd have never been defeated by the Clone army to begin with.

I dunno. Looks pretty, looks like it'd be fun to go nuts like that...but it also looks to me that if you're THAT powerful, the game would get damn boring after a while.

General Kaliero
Yeah, looks cool, but really, that's all it is: eye candy. I wouldn't want to play as someone like this through a whole game. Maybe if there's some decent character growth that they decided to not indicate, then that would work, but this is still too much even for the end result of such.

Bottom line: Would make a mildly entertaining minigame, but not much else until they weaken that character properly.

Captain REX
I'm expecting Jedi Knight 4 to be like this. eek!

SaTsuJiN
I'm thinking in terms of Jedi vs Jedi (or Sith) with this kind of crazyness

stormtroopers are always there for the beatdown

Mišt
I wonder what the storyline would be?hmm Hopefully some post-ROTS, pre-ANH, Purge era game eek! With a showdown against Vaderdroolio

I hope its not another 'some Jedi has to save the galaxy by defeating the last remaining Sith and dark jedi remnants singlehandedly' no expression

SaTsuJiN
I'd like it if it had a multiplayer storymode for PC.. you and a small group of friends go through an entire space station trying not to get seen by guards n stuff.. the force powers 'are' drastic in the videos.. but they could make the gameplay equally challenging to make up for it.. (i.e. lasers kill you in 1 hit... getting sliced by an enemy saber kills you, unless its a hand or a foot).. of course they'd have to have complex saber / force usage to match these severe penalties for getting struck in combat

Mišt
I'm just hoping saber combat can rape anything we've seen beforeermm The only decent fighting was the ROTS game, and that was kinda...shit.

Wonder if its online?

Sesse
If its on WIIIIIIII and it uses WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIImote, then the saber mechanichs might be just fine...

Mugen

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Sesse
If its on WIIIIIIII and it uses WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIImote, then the saber mechanichs might be just fine...

Yes, because everyone stands still during Star Wars sabre duelling...

Hypester

Well to be fair, they are going for a concept called "Force Unleashed," that has, apparently, a storyline good enough for Lucas and others at LucasArts to sign off on.

That said, I would much prefer a robut saber-system that makes for great choreograhed fights rather than hurling people with force energy while lightning shocking them...

Slicing dicing and blocking = great
Throwing around stormtroopers = show off physics

Lana
Saying the storyline is good enough for Lucas to sign off on isn't much.

I wish they'd make a game that is actually true to the movie in how strong powers are and such.

SaTsuJiN
Yes, because everyone stands still during Star Wars sabre duelling...

Its interesting you brought that up.. while they dont stand 'still'.. alot of people didnt like the 'quake' style running for the Jedi Knight series of dueling.. it made dodging the saber swings far too easy.. and also made the game look a bit silly (still has to be one of the best SW games to turn to for a good saber battle though)

I really hope they come up with a very unique way of saber fighting / moving

and custom jedi character creations >_<

JKozzy
Shown on Attack of the Show this evening, a tech demo that was behind the doors of E3 2006, and available to Lucasarts employees until now. Has anyone seen this yet? Supposedly the game's storyline takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
I'm currently uploading the footage for those that haven't seen it. For now, here are some screens.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/7526/snapshot20060801200931ov6.th.jpghttp://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9273/snapshot20060801200957jb8.th.jpghttp://img474.imageshack.us/img474/9266/snapshot20060801201027ea2.th.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3308/snapshot20060801201034lb8.th.jpg

Lana
Already a thread I'm afraid stick out tongue

Merged.

JKozzy
Aw, damn. I tried. stick out tongue

Well, here's a mirror to the vid:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PFURN6TB

forumcrew
video is defnitely good looking, but just remember everyone its pre-rendered, so we know notin about gameplay yet.

JKozzy
Nope, but if gameplay is anything like that (which I hope it is, and what it should be) then I'm psyched to see more of this game.

forumcrew
oh yea, im definitely looking forward to finding out more.

MadMel
looks good...very good..

SaTsuJiN
multiplayer dernit! >_< this game could be all kinds of dueling hotness..

Mišt
Oh damn, 4 player free for all with those physics/powers...I'd shit myself.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
Its interesting you brought that up.. while they dont stand 'still'.. alot of people didnt like the 'quake' style running for the Jedi Knight series of dueling.. it made dodging the saber swings far too easy.. and also made the game look a bit silly (still has to be one of the best SW games to turn to for a good saber battle though)

I really hope they come up with a very unique way of saber fighting / moving

and custom jedi character creations >_<

I hate the silly mobility as well.

But the fact remains that you cannot simulate SW film-style sabre duelling using the Wiimote. You would be too static.

Lana
Though give me a chance, and I'll happily dance around like they do while fighting in the movies...and probably look like a complete idiot in the process...though it wouldn't be the first time I've done that, and not the last, either!

SaTsuJiN
they could have it where the analog stick does the strafing... and if you hold a button on the wiimote and move it, it changes your looking direction.. this way you can stand to fight when you need to by letting go.. or do a combination of both?.... I guess its really hard to do something like that sad so close yet so far

Ushgarak
Lana, you are still hardly going to start backflipping, are you?

Nor, to the best of my knowledge, does the Wii have any way of simulating where your body is. You might twist out of the way of a blow but your character model is still in the same place.

Lacking full body suits and virtual reality, this kind of thing will just not work properly. It is just another way of controlling a game character, it is not Star Wars duelling made real, even if they try it.

SaTsuJiN
they could do 3rd person like mario 64.. analog stick controls character movement (limited when in close range, of course) and the wiimote control saber strikes

Ushgarak
Yes, but then it is not doing the 'actual' sabre duelling that people seem to want- it is just another control method.

Lana
Lana, you are still hardly going to start backflipping, are you?

Yeah, and kill myself? I don't even know how to do a backflip...

But yeah, waving around the motion control isn't going to be anywhere near real saber-duelling, no matter how much people think so.

SaTsuJiN
I dont think it will necessarily derail the funfactor if we cant have 100% movie to game conversions in terms of immersion.. for the VR suit to work you'd probably have to have alot of room cuz you'd wind up clubbin someone with your mo-cap blade by accident... people were also working on a method where you walk inside of a ball (hamster-like) and the movement is conveyed to the screen.... still its not as intricate as specific body movements... but we should be getting closer in the next 10 years

do I think the wiimote could add a new kick-ass aesthetic to the gameplay? hell yeah... but I aint expectin to do butterfly kicks while deflecting stormtrooper shots

Ushgarak
I don't think it will detract from the fun factor either.

I am simply saying that a lot of people out there make silly comments about the Wii-mote, saying you will be able to do 'proper' sabre fighting, when it is simply not true!

Even the tennis is going to be a bit odd, not moving around.

Golf will work, though.

MadMel
I hate the silly mobility as well.

But the fact remains that you cannot simulate SW film-style sabre duelling using the Wiimote. You would be too static.
that is true, unfortunatly...but i doubt you would be standing still, because of the nunchuck's joystik..

Ushgarak
Originally posted by MadMel
that is true, unfortunatly...but i doubt you would be standing still, because of the nunchuck's joystik..

Well, first of all, that buggers up anything other than a one-handed grip, yeah?

And secondly, that is a bit like saying that the sabre combat in previous games is real because it is controlled with joypad buttons. As soon as you go back to abstract controls, the idea kinda falls apart.

I am not saying it is rubbish, I am saying that there is a lot of talk about 'realism' (whatever the hell that is in Star Wars) which hasn;t really been thought through.

Lana
I think the only way to get realism in a SW game is to actually make it true to the movies in strength of powers and stuff...which will likely never happen because people will complain that it's underpowered.

Though actually I think Lego Star Wars was pretty good in that regard laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Obscurely enough, it was actually the most movie accurate yet...

Nactous
Thats no Wii game.

PeterGriffin

Mišt
Yeah theres a thread, cant find it..ermm

Its official! w00t

Number of Players: 1
Release Date:
US: November 2007

LucasArts Unleashes The Force
Side with Vader and rid the galaxy of Jedi.
by Hilary Goldstein

US, February 14, 2007 - LucasArts officially announced its latest game in the Star Wars saga. Coming November for PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, PSP and Nintendo DS, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed explores one of the more interesting time periods in Star Wars lore. Set between the events of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, Force Unleashed puts gamers in the role of Darth Vader's secret apprentice.

As Palpatine rises to power and the Empire begins its conquest of the galaxy, Vader sends his apprentice to help exterminate the remaining Jedi. Your character has four primary Force powers to develop during missions to eradicate the Jedi: Force push, grip, repulse and lightning. Powers can be used together to create unique combos and cause massive destruction to enemies and the environment.

The next-gen versions of Force Unleashed utilize some new technologies that promise realistic environmental reactions. Beyond having wood splinter and plants bend in the wind, non-player characters also act and react more realistically. Characters are said to adjust their behavior on the fly, based on the player's actions. It's unknown how the PS2, PSP and DS versions will differ.

Created under the direction of George Lucas, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed offers new insights into the Star Wars universe. And it lets you kick some Jedi ass. Look for eyes-on impressions of The Force Unleashed in a few weeks

This entry in the Star Wars saga casts players as Darth Vader's "Secret Apprentice", unveiling new revelations about the Star Wars galaxy. The expansive story, created under direction from George Lucas, is set during the largely unexplored era between Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. In it, players will assist the iconic villain in his quest to rid the universe of Jedi - and face decisions that could change the course of their destiny. As its name implies, The Force Unleashed completely re-imagines the scope and scale of the Force by taking full advantage of newly developed technologies only possible on next-gen consoles that will be seen and experienced for the first time anywhere in videogaming.

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/764/764561p1.html

Its basically that video floating around, except you'll be throwing rebels around instead of stormtroopers ermm

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/764/764506/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20070214104121658.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/764/764506/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20070214104126018.jpg

Sweetw00t

Ushgarak
Gah, just looking at the set-up it seems crap already.

Just as with Galaxies, they seem to have no respect for the setting any more, and then seem surprised thast they haven't turned out a really decent Star Wars game in a decade.

Mišt

Ushgarak
"The Secret Apprentice won't just Force grip foes to throw them aside - he'll Force grip them in midair, zap them with lightning, then drop them to the ground to explode like a bomb."

(cries endlessly)

Whyyy do they do this nonsense?

Lord Melkor
Ush, they clearly go with "cool" factor instead of "setting consistency" factor. At last we have your games to preserve the spirit of Star Wars.

LinixCobra
Remember that video that was leaked or used as the GDC, well thats actually part of the gane.

Lana
Yeah, there was an article on it in my gaming magazine that I got in the mail the other day.

I got rather pissed about how utterly crappy and out of touch with SW it looks.

Seriously...do the people creating these games actually KNOW anything about Star Wars?

(will try and hunt down the original thread and merge them, btw)

Puzzle
I'm on the fence with this one. sad

1. I am all for the cool factor since it's a video game and that makes it more fun to play.
2. I am against the cool factor for the same reasons as Ush.

Lana
Yeah, but even the 'cool factor' is going to get boring. Being able to fling everything you see around like a nutcase will be fun...for a very short amount of time.

I definitely would prefer something that's realistic to the setting as frankly, I'd find that more fun to play for much longer.

Ushgarak
It's more forgiveable in an action game than, say, an RP.

But it's the language they use as well, as if they are making out that by simply being bigger and more powerful with the force powers, that the game will obviously be better. As if that is what is gaming is all about.

I mean, seriously, why is it any better, game wise, to make your foes explode with force lightning than to sabre them, or push them off a cliff, or what not? Why will any of this be innately cooler than the ages old Jedi Knight game? Even that game went too far, with easy lightning and strange drain/heal powers, but the trouble is that every game since then has felt the need to trump the scale of the powers, which means we're on a road to the point where your characters can destroy planets.

Someone has to tell these game makers to grow up, and think better, not just bigger. And if you want to make a game where you have the powers of a D&D Wizard... don't make it Star Wars. It doesn't happen there.

Puzzle
Yeah, but even the 'cool factor' is going to get boring. Being able to fling everything you see around like a nutcase will be fun...for a very short amount of time.

I definitely would prefer something that's realistic to the setting as frankly, I'd find that more fun to play for much longer.

Exactly, I'd rather use my mind a bit more than combining force powers to make a bomb.

The beginning of KOTOR is a good example of force powers, you have a couple powers, they aren't very powerful, there you go.

WrathfulDwarf
Gives us KOTOR III and Star Wars: Republic Commando II please.

LinixCobra
If you look at the game more closely its actually sort of a new approach. We have been playing as Jedi for who knows how long and I think playing Jedi is starting to become a repetitive thing. The game is shaping up to be like Jedi Knight series but this time we are the Sith who hunt down the last remenants of the Jedi. Just that alone should tell you that this wont be an easy task depending on the skill level of the person we are hunting but I tend to believe it will be hard. Apart from the storyline I think the game engine will be the best in all the Star Wars games so far because this time we will be able to manipulate objects almost like in Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

General Kaliero
Ergh... Why do they have to do this? The player character STARTING with Lightning? WHY?

Star Wars isn't about destroying everything that comes your way. It's about getting into a crapload of trouble and being clever/lucky enough to get out of it with your skin still on.

Not to mention this is breaking the whole Rule of Two thing.

Blaxican
How so? Even before this there was Dooku with Assaj an Grievous and Sideous with Maul and Dooku. Theres a difference between "Padawan", and lackey.

Puzzle
Originally posted by Blaxican
How so? Even before this there was Dooku with Assaj an Grievous and Sideous with Maul and Dooku. Theres a difference between "Padawan", and lackey.

The press release itself calls this character Vader's "secret apprentice", that suggests he is more than just another lackey.

Morridini
Soo not on either PC or Wii? Really disappointing, doesn't seem I will be getting this game then.

Puzzle
Originally posted by Morridini
Soo not on either PC or Wii? Really disappointing, doesn't seem I will be getting this game then.

I'm sure it will come out on PC. Don't hold your breath for a Wii port though.

General Kaliero
I'm sure Lucasarts is doing the same as Sega, releasing one game on several platforms and another exclusive to the Wii. They're probably figuring out how to murder lightsaber combat with the Wiimote controls right now.

Ushgarak
Not just a rule-breaking 'secret' apprentice, but one that is apparently considerably more powerful than vader too.

(sighs)

And declaring the game ios better because you can play Sith rather than Jedi is adolescent rasoning. "Oh cool, I am evil, that makes everything so great!"

Quality was in choice. Jedi Knight had perfectly good Light and Dark paths. We're going backwards.

Morridini
If u look at the stuff at http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/gameinfo/news/technology.html then it almost feels like they use this game as a way to test out all the new things they can make. And just throwing in a plot that could have been written by a 13 year old.

Puzzle
Tech demo video... http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=42397

This has nothing to do with the story so enjoy. It gives me hope for the rest of the next gen games, hope they start using these engines.

LinixCobra
Not just a rule-breaking 'secret' apprentice, but one that is apparently considerably more powerful than vader too.

(sighs)

And declaring the game ios better because you can play Sith rather than Jedi is adolescent rasoning. "Oh cool, I am evil, that makes everything so great!"

Quality was in choice. Jedi Knight had perfectly good Light and Dark paths. We're going backwards.

I didnt exactly say it would be better to play Sith nor did I say it would be "cool" but I did say its a new approach which is something you dont like. How many times can you honestly play as a Jedi just to realize its gonna end the same as any other Star Wars game. You have your Light Path and then Dark Path and in the end no matter what you do you save a planet or race. Your so accustomed to it which is why this game will probably flot for a lot of people.

AstroFan
I think they should of distanced this game from the movies, im so sick of the same plot and characters.

Pull a Kotor and make it absolutely no way connected to the movies but still feel like Star Wars. But nope, we get to be Vader's apprentice(how the **** did he get one?) between 3 and 4, we are already getting 2 tv shows about this period.

LinixCobra
The time frame is bad. I would have prefered a different time frame.

Lana
Originally posted by LinixCobra
I didnt exactly say it would be better to play Sith nor did I say it would be "cool" but I did say its a new approach which is something you dont like. How many times can you honestly play as a Jedi just to realize its gonna end the same as any other Star Wars game. You have your Light Path and then Dark Path and in the end no matter what you do you save a planet or race. Your so accustomed to it which is why this game will probably flot for a lot of people.

I think you're completely and totally wrong about why Ush is not happy about this game. I mean, going by your reasoning, I'd think this game would be awesome because I love playing Dark Side in Star Wars, yet I think it's going to be garbage as well.

Why?

Because it is so utterly disconnected from the movies and what Star Wars and the Force are meant to be.

As I said earlier in the thread - do the people making these games know anything about Star Wars at all?

LinixCobra
I think you're completely and totally wrong about why Ush is not happy about this game. I mean, going by your reasoning, I'd think this game would be awesome because I love playing Dark Side in Star Wars, yet I think it's going to be garbage as well.

Why?

Because it is so utterly disconnected from the movies and what Star Wars and the Force are meant to be.

As I said earlier in the thread - do the people making these games know anything about Star Wars at all?

Well Im not gonna try to convince USH that this game will be the best Star Wars game to date nor am I saying it will be the best because I dont think anyone has seen it, if he doesnt like the idea then thats his thing. All im saying is that it can be argued that the storyline of us using lightsaber to fight and save planets or race thing has been done to death and that this can be seen as a new appraoch.

Im actually confused because they say your Darth Vaders apprentice and the storyline will have you make choices which will change the future so if its anything like KOTOR and say you change to light side will you face Vader seeing as he is the main bad guy now?

Here is the Tech Demo:

http://gamedrift.com/articles.php?a=265

Blaxican
I can't believe you people are moaning and complaining about something so trivial as "plot" and "depth". Killing the Stormtroopers in such ways is already enough incentive to get this.

The sooner people realize that zero plot and intense violonce is becoming the dominant factor in gaming, the sooner people will be happier...

§uffer§noopy
I can't believe you people are moaning and complaining about something so trivial as "plot" and "depth". Killing the Stormtroopers in such ways is already enough incentive to get this.

The sooner people realize that zero plot and intense violonce is becoming the dominant factor in gaming, the sooner people will be happier... I'd say it's the reverse in FPS'. Doom, Hexen, Corridor 7, Wolfenstein, etc - and now we have F.E.A.R., Halo series, etc.

Blaxican
That was sarcasm, but eh.

The Halo series story wasn't none to intrestign though, niether was Doom. FEAR was okay Half-Life was probably the best.

Mišt
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Ergh... Why do they have to do this? The player character STARTING with Lightning? WHY?

Not to mention this is breaking the whole Rule of Two thing.

Cause you play as a Dark Jedi/Sith now, it would be stupid throwing a single Dark Jedi against the remnants of the Jedi Order armed with only Force Push or something useless.

Technically, unless the player is a Sith, then its not breaking the Rule...Ventress wasn't a Sith either but she existed as Dooku's apprentice.

Originally posted by General Kaliero
Star Wars isn't about destroying everything that comes your way. It's about getting into a crapload of trouble and being clever/lucky enough to get out of it with your skin still on.

vvvv

Originally posted by Morridini
If u look at the stuff at http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/gameinfo/news/technology.html then it almost feels like they use this game as a way to test out all the new things they can make. And just throwing in a plot that could have been written by a 13 year old.

thumb up

Doesnt sound like much time has been spent plotwise, 'You're a bad guy, go kill stuff with uber powers' - tagline. Just a test run for the new engines. Game still sounds fun though and Ill get it and have fun blowing stuff up.

Wouldnt mind a game set in Legacy timeline hmm

MadMel
i wont enjoy it as a star wars game, but i will enjoy it just as a game...mmm...same way you enjoy KOTOR and JK laughing out loud...

Puzzle
Originally posted by Puzzle
Tech demo video... http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=42397

This has nothing to do with the story so enjoy. It gives me hope for the rest of the next gen games, hope they start using these engines.

Ushgarak
"Ventress wasn't a Sith either but she existed as Dooku's apprentice."

She wasn't weirdly more powerful than Dooku, and more to the point she wasn't being trained as an Apprentice but specifically was there to die.

As for plot being unimportant- this isn't just plot. It's style. Why make this a Star Wars game at all, if you are going to ignore things that are so important to being Star Wars? Like I say, make it a fantasy game where you are a wizard. Don't take the style from some other genre and force feed it into Star Wars as if it fits.

And it will tell, because when Lucasarts cared so much about their games, in their heady days of fantastic Indiana Jones and Star Wars tie-ins, everything they made was a winner. When they started churning out lazy stuff like this, it was reflected in the quality of the game also. i.e. crap.

MadMel
you forgot LOOM ush..it pwned all games of that era laughing out loud...except that it didnt sell well sad..

Ushgarak
Oh they made LOADS of good games. ut I used thos eexamplea as demonstrations of them paying attention to source material.

Heck, they were even criticised for not including Lightsabres in the original Dark Forces. Their excuse? It would be contrary to the Star Wars setting. See, when they made that game they cared. Compare Galaxies- same Original Trilogy setting, thousands of Jedi. The caring stoppd.

Mišt
As for plot being unimportant- this isn't just plot. It's style. Why make this a Star Wars game at all, if you are going to ignore things that are so important to being Star Wars? Like I say, make it a fantasy game where you are a wizard. Don't take the style from some other genre and force feed it into Star Wars as if it fits.

Eh, some people like that whole 'its Star Wars but its so far off from proper Star Wars' cause its just silly fun. Force pushing a stormtrooper 3 feet away might be technically accurate in Star Wars lore, but its incredibly boring in a game (eg JK2), and thats all its about, just having fun. Clone Wars cartoon was stupidly off style, but fun to watch. Eventually (or hopefully?) they'll make a proper Star Wars game instead of an interactive anime but people shouldnt worry about videogames reflecting the movies accurately, theres plenty of comics, cartoons etc that blow it up as well, its already got overpowered characters that are cemented into the lore so its too late to argue that they arent doing a good job of representing it. Contradictions are fair enough to argue cause that just shits everyone off when they do that, but you cant forget that you're just playing a game designed for cheap entertainment to kill a few hours.

Ushgarak
I can certainly say this:

1. They used to represent it accurately, to good effect

2. They often still claim to be doing so, re: claims made during the making of Outcast

3. I still think, as my posts outline above, there is a direct correlation between the decline of properly representing the experience and the decline in game quality. Sloppy on one, sloppy on the other. It;s just laziness through and through.

Lana
Okay, so I'm going to say this right now as to how I think it's going to turn out.

I think, that in terms of fan reception, it's going to be like KOTOR. Game that is only good at best, downright boring and silly at times, but people will treat it as though it's the best game ever created.

However, I'm going to bet that this will be only mediocre. I mean, really. Going around blowing things up? Not SW style at all. Little to no plot? I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Seriously, if I wanted to be a destructive Darkie in SW, I'll just go to the RP forums and actually have a good plot to be insane within...

SnakeEyes
Okay, so I'm going to say this right now as to how I think it's going to turn out.

I think, that in terms of fan reception, it's going to be like KOTOR. Game that is only good at best, downright boring and silly at times, but people will treat it as though it's the best game ever created.

However, I'm going to bet that this will be only mediocre. I mean, really. Going around blowing things up? Not SW style at all. Little to no plot? I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Seriously, if I wanted to be a destructive Darkie in SW, I'll just go to the RP forums and actually have a good plot to be insane within...

Going to the RP Forums would be a LOT less fun than playing an actual game for most people. wink

WrathfulDwarf
I think it really depends on what content they put in the game.

Honestly, if Galaxies would have excluded the Jedi from the game it prolly wouldn't have sucked.

When asked why they makers included them....they said because "fans" demanded.

So you see... if the fans demand too much from a SW game...there is going to be clash of ideas.

As My Grand Poppa used to say...."Too many cooks ruin the soup."

Ushgarak
See, it's not 'fans' that demand such things. It is NOISY fans, and they are quite often the last ones you want to listen to. They tend to haver the most extreme and ill-considered opinions.

To whit, look at the vs. forums...

Blaxican
The vs. forum really has a bad rep, doesn't it?

Blaxican
Edit

Lana
Hey, it earned it...

WrathfulDwarf
See, it's not 'fans' that demand such things. It is NOISY fans, and they are quite often the last ones you want to listen to. They tend to haver the most extreme and ill-considered opinions.

To whit, look at the vs. forums...

*takes a peek*

My Eyes! Owww MY EYES!!

Blaxican
Hey, it earned it...

Tsk tsk, am I going to have get Sorgo in here? stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Let's face it, I refuse to believe that the majority of genuine Star Wars fans, when asked what they wanted in a game set during the Original films, answered "Lots of Jedi, please." They might ask if they could be Han Solo or Boba Fett, or fly the Millennium Falcon, but not for Jedi-ness as they weren't there.

Only the unreasonable ones asked for that. But they were very loud and repetitive and apparently won out and contributed towards that mess of a game and everyone who wanted the genuine Star Wars experience for all that have been crushed.

Clone Wars was a cartoon and fitted its style very well, but the same excuse does not apply to games that purport to allow you to be one of these things you see on screen. Forget the grossly overpowered books (which certainly have no such excuses anyway); the games are visual, the films are visual, it's about transferring the on-screen experience. Else it's just another random action game.

I guarantee that once they start paying attention to that style again, they'll start making classic games again.

ESB -1138
I watched the teaser and it didn't seem like Star Wars to me. I mean they threw a dude into a Tie Fighter and destroyed it. They caused shock waves that whipped out storm troopers left and right and destroyed the room as well.

And this is set during the OT? That's not what I want!! If you set a game during the OT let me play as Luke or Han or Boba or just some made up non-Jedi like Kyle (who wasn't a Jedi during Shadows of the Empire).

WrathfulDwarf
Let's face it, I refuse to believe that the majority of genuine Star Wars fans, when asked what they wanted in a game set during the Original films, answered "Lots of Jedi, please." They might ask if they could be Han Solo or Boba Fett, or fly the Millennium Falcon, but not for Jedi-ness as they weren't there.

Only the unreasonable ones asked for that. But they were very loud and repetitive and apparently won out and contributed towards that mess of a game and everyone who wanted the genuine Star Wars experience for all that have been crushed.

Clone Wars was a cartoon and fitted its style very well, but the same excuse does not apply to games that purport to allow you to be one of these things you see on screen. Forget the grossly overpowered books (which certainly have no such excuses anyway); the games are visual, the films are visual, it's about transferring the on-screen experience. Else it's just another random action game.

I guarantee that once they start paying attention to that style again, they'll start making classic games again.

I see your point...but I think is more about preferrence over genuinity fandom.

Jedis are view as superheroes....eventually the fandom will go for the one with the most power.

Me...I just wish I could be an Ewok and shoot down an Imperial ship.

SaTsuJiN
maybe this time you dont start out as a padawan, as typical in most of the SW games...

perhaps you're some unknown jedi master, which would at least meet the crazy force power usage at a halfway point in terms of logic

I still want another Jedi Knight game dernit!... >_<

Ushgarak
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I see your point...but I think is more about preferrence over genuinity fandom.

Jedis are view as superheroes....eventually the fandom will go for the one with the most power.

Me...I just wish I could be an Ewok and shoot down an Imperial ship.

The ones with the most power, yes, but in the right setting,. That's why KOTOR is so popular.

In the OT setting, the 'cool' factor goes to Solo and Fett instead.

Lana
I know in an OT-era game I'd much rather play as someone similar to those two than a Jedi...Jedi don't belong in the OT. They don't exist in that period, except for a very small number of exceptions.

ESB -1138
Like Luke, Obi-Wan, and Yoda. I wouldn't mind playing as Luke if it HAS to be an OT game with a Jedi.

Blaxican
People don't seem to understand that there WERE Jedi in the OT.

As Sideous said, many Jedi escaped from the Temple with there lives, and it was Vader's job to hunt them down. That's basically what he did in between Episode III and Episode VI, which *gasp*, this game happens to be taking place in, correct?

It'c common knowledge that The Emperor had multiple force sensitive lakeys, Emperor's hands. Mara jade was one of them. I don't see what's so wierd about Vader having a personal force adept underling.

Ushgarak
Err, no. There were NO Jedi in the OT other than the ones seen on screen. They are all dead by the time the films started. Aside from the fact that GL said this, Yoda also makes it abundantly clear that Luke is the last Jedi. And as Galaxies is set during the films...

The Emperor having other apprentices has all now been contradicted; the films make it very clear that this is not true- quite aside from, as I say, the weirdness of this Apprentice apparently being much more powerful than Vader.

Lana
People don't seem to understand that there WERE Jedi in the OT.

As Sideous said, many Jedi escaped from the Temple with there lives, and it was Vader's job to hunt them down. That's basically what he did in between Episode III and Episode VI, which *gasp*, this game happens to be taking place in, correct?

It'c common knowledge that The Emperor had multiple force sensitive lakeys, Emperor's hands. Mara jade was one of them. I don't see what's so wierd about Vader having a personal force adept underling.

See, all this stuff you're claiming is from EU.

EU is NOT canon. What happens in it is completely irrelevant to the movies and if it contradicts something that's said in the movies or by GL? It loses. Plain and simple. All Jedi/Force users beyond Luke, Obi-wan, Vader, Yoda, and Palpatine were dead by the time of the OT, end of story.

Ushgarak
I suspect actually he just got mixed up about complaints levelled at Galaxies.

Blaxican
See, all this stuff you're claiming is from EU.

EU is NOT canon. What happens in it is completely irrelevant to the movies and if it contradicts something that's said in the movies or by GL? It loses. Plain and simple. All Jedi/Force users beyond Luke, Obi-wan, Vader, Yoda, and Palpatine were dead by the time of the OT, end of story.

Not canon on these Forums you mean? I honestly don't think he cares about what's canon or not.

Ushgarak
Well, he's directly said it, about the EU not being in his own universe but parallel, so that's a clue.

Besides, it doesn't matter. Only about 1 in 10 people with an interest in Star Wars have even read the EU. So when targetting the demographic the influence is that of the films.

SaTsuJiN
he ("Ben Kenobi"wink did say "the jedi are all but extinct" in Ep. IV

so maybe in between III and IV they were still hunting down / finishing up the escapees? (just at the point of IV he knew they were all dead)

I think that would be a good perspective for the player (to take control of a runaway jedi)

Ushgarak
Just to be clear here- this new game is set between III and IV. The complaint hgere is about overblown powers and rule-breaking Apprenticeship. No-one is complaining about Jedi.

It is Galaxies that is set during the OT, and blows its continuity out of the water by featuring thousands of Jedi that makes it not in the least bit like the films.

Lord Melkor
Sorry to play devil`s advocate here, Ush, but EU excuse for having Dark Siders under Empire is that those lackeys were not Sith, lacking the true training and power. But it hardly makes sense anyway when there are dozens force-sensitive Inquisitors hunting Jedi across the galaxy....

Ushgarak
Yes, but being Vader's Apprentice kinda knocks that reasoning out...

Of course, although the line never made it into the film, the whole 'Lost Twenty' thing showed that as far as GL was concerned, there were no other Dark Siders at all. Dark Jedi and what-not have always been an entirely EU phenomenon; GL has never used the term.

AstroFan
I don't see what's so wierd about Vader having a personal force adept underling.

Personal underling? shutup

............. laughing

Lord Melkor
It is one area that your games stray away from George`s vision, Ush, but it allowed for great role-playing experience.

Hmm, but if Vader was thinking about overthrowing the Emperor, recruiting another Darksider would be a good move- he didn`t have the chance alone, he needed Luke in OT. Rule of two is just the custom of current Sith Order- Vader could brake it if he wanted, he was never the type of following rules and customs. Wouldn`t it be broken anyway if Luke joined him at the end of ESB? There is no quarantee that they would be able to immediately kill Palpatine, so there could be three Dark Siders for the time being.

And i think that the main point of the rule of two was allowing Sith to defeat the Jedi, since the Sith infighting would always be their trump card. When Sith finally rule the Galaxy, they can do what they want....

SaTsuJiN
-overblown powers
-rule-breaking Apprenticeship

they did say the video was merely for internal use.. the powers are subject to change I'm sure.. EU 'did' start that whole trend of "Extreme Force Users"

as for the apprenticeship, I really dont read any EU at all (aside from knowing a few of the characters).. so I cant say anything about those

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
Sorry to play devil`s advocate here, Ush, but EU excuse for having Dark Siders under Empire is that those lackeys were not Sith, lacking the true training and power. But it hardly makes sense anyway when there are dozens force-sensitive Inquisitors hunting Jedi across the galaxy....

Not once throughout the Star Wars films was it ever mentioned that Palpatine had other Force users besides Vader under his control. In fact Tarkin said that Vader was the last of his religion and Tarkin knows basically everything about the Empire so if their was another dark sider Tarkin would have known about it.

Lord Melkor
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Not once throughout the Star Wars films was it ever mentioned that Palpatine had other Force users besides Vader under his control. In fact Tarkin said that Vader was the last of his religion and Tarkin knows basically everything about the Empire so if their was another dark sider Tarkin would have known about it.

I agree with you, I was just trying to state EU`s justification, but it isn`t 100% logical.

ESB -1138
The way I see it. EU Should have never touched the OT about Jedi and Sith. For the Jedi it should just have been Obi-Wan and Yoda since Obi-Wan said, "the Jedi are all but extinct." and this was when Obi-Wan was dead so he would have known. Also Yoda makes it clear that Luke is the last Jedi. And Tarkin mentions Vader being the last of his religion when Vader mentioned the Death Star not being as powerful as the Force.

Three people each with knowledge and understand and the resources to know whether or not another Jedi/Sith would have been around and all of them basically said no. The EU needs to stop screwing up the OT so much. I mean not everything is bad like Shadows of the Empire which was very good.

Mišt
But, Obi Wan said 'That boy was our last hope..' - he believes Luke is the absolute, final last Jedi. And Yoda then says 'No, there is another..', so a) Obi Wan doesnt know every last Jedi is dead, and b) Speaking of 'another' one means that there is still potential for a force sensitive to be trained up as a Jedi, and who knows how many force potentials there were. Also, didnt Tarkin say that 'last of the religion' stuff before Vader killed Obi Wan? Also before Yoda came into the picture. So, he was wrong there, he was assuming Vader was the last.

LinixCobra

MadMel
yea he was..

Lana
Yup. Proves absolutely nothing and does not at all contradict what is clearly stated in the OT movies and that all Jedi beyond the ones seen on screen are dead.

MadMel
like i said before
i would enjoy it (if it were on the wii mad ), but not as a SW game..

Mišt
Originally posted by LinixCobra
Isnt Yoda talking about Leia?

Yeah, whats your point? She has force potential and Yoda can see her as another candidate for Jedi training, Obi Wan didnt know, so its no good saying Obi Wan is all correct about there not being any other Jedi if there are others who could be trained. He might be right about saying there werent any other fully trained Jedi around at that given moment, but force potentials can still be trained up, as evident by Luke. Im not saying its realistic to have a bunch of Jedi running around owning the place during OT but theres always the possibility of someone becoming a Jedi in the future.

§uffer§noopy
Who was that tall fellow that was with Sidious in Episode III who left the room before Yoda confronted Sidious near the end?

Ushgarak

Blaxican
Indeed we musn't! Happy Dance

I'll be the first to get this when it comes out...

ESB -1138

MadMel

Mišt
Leia was NOT a Jedi. She had the potential to become one but she was not a Jedi. Also I was referring to Tarkin mentioning Vader being the last of his religion indicating that within the Empire only Vader and the Emperor had any Force training because otherwise Tarkin would have knew about it.

Obi-Wan and Yoda both call Luke the last Jedi meaning that in the OT era Luke was all that was left.

Neither was Luke at that point, Yoda mentioned him becoming a Jedi only after facing Vader etc..so theres still another force user running around, so how do you know there werent any other force users hiding around the galaxy.

How do you know about Tarkin knowing everything though? Thats the point I was making from the start, he was talking about the entire force community when he said Vader was the last, but there was still Obi Wan and Yoda around, I dont even think Tarkin knew Palpatine was a Sith, did he ever publicly announce it? If Palpatine, or even Vader had another apprentice Im sure they would have shut up about it, Vader having an apprentice would piss Palpatine off, Palps having an apprentice would piss Vader off, Tarkin's only in charge of the Death Star, not second in command of info.

Anyway .........................................>.

They said on the site that theres force sensitive Felucians I think, were they shown in Ep3, I cant remember...what do Felucians look like?

MadMel
tarkin new palp was a sith..he instructed one of his people to give the emperor a call, knowing that he would be nearly choked to death evil face

Lana
Um, Leia was not a Force user. She had the potential to be one, but that's all.

MadMel

Mišt
Um, Leia was not a Force user. She had the potential to be one, but that's all.

I didnt say she was, all I've said about her was that she had force potential.

Ushgarak
Yes but you tried to out her on the same level as Luke, which is entirely misleading.

No mattter which way you try to portray it, fact is still that this game is promoting it's fantasy-magic style force powers and is concentrating on them instead of trying to produce a game which pays attention to the true Star Wars style, and it will inevitably be the worse for it, as their track record shows.

the_satan32
I didn't read all of the tread but do any of you know there will be no PC version? I think it's stupid of LA to ignore the PC, it's one of the most popular platforms. It's supposed to be for the next-gen but there will be PS2 and PSP versions?! My PC is way more powerful than a PS2 so I don't see a problem of porting a PS2 (or even better a PS3) version for the PC.

http://www.petitiononline.com/g5d4iu5f/petition.html

Try this petition, they usually don't have any effect but we can try.

Lana
The only systems it's actually been confirmed for so far is the 360 and PS3, but will likely be on the others as well. I don't doubt there will be a PC version.

the_satan32
The only systems it's actually been confirmed for so far is the 360 and PS3, but will likely be on the others as well. I don't doubt there will be a PC version.

No actually if you go to the official site it says next-gen and PS2, PSP and Nintendo DS.

Lana
So? Still doesn't mean they're not going to do a PC version. They'd be downright stupid to not do so.

The handhelds and PS2 versions of the game are actually going to be significantly different, if I remember correctly as well.

the_satan32
I agree that it's stupid not to make a PC version but remember the Star Wars Episode III game. There were only Xbox and PS2 versions. That's a shame because the combination of keyboard + mouse is perfect for lightsaber duels. My point is that they announced only for PS2 and Xbox versions and that's what they released.

Allankles

Obi-Wan and Yoda both call Luke the last Jedi meaning that in the OT era Luke was all that was left.

Not at all, he meant Luke was the only one that could make a difference. He's the only Jedi in the OT that the Emperor would bother trying to convert to the dark side etc etc. Many Jedi survived the purge (not just Yoda and Obi-Wan) but few had any fight left in them.

Most were content to hide, or afffect change in little ways, they had no delusions of grandeur.

Luke essentially represented the last hope of the Jedi. He wasn't the last of the Jedi in any literal sense, many Jedi had slipped the notice of the Empire and were living as regular citizens.

Kadesh
From what i saw on the trailer, Darth vader is going to be extremely powerful and he is going to make his way to the strongest sith lords.

Just look at his apprentice and what the jedi can do in that game, they are friggin awesome and palpatine stated in RODV that vader is more than twice as powerful as any other jedi save for yoda ,mace windu and NJO luke

Um, Leia was not a Force user. She had the potential to be one, but that's all. Well thats for the movies but in DE she became a jedi

Lana
Too bad the movies are all that's canon, right?

There are no Jedi in the OT beyond the ones seen on screen, and Leia does not count among them. Period.

Blaxican
Lana your wrong!

Kadesh
Too bad the movies are all that's canon, right?

There are no Jedi in the OT beyond the ones seen on screen, and Leia does not count among them. Period. Too bad George lucas needed James luceno to explain in RODV how the galaxy came to know about darth vader. Even the movies dont explain how every body knew who vader was since he only appeard for 5 mins in ROTS. The EU does apply, and George lucas worked with several authors for the eu novels, and leia became a jedi AFTER the OT

Apparantly EU is C-canon while movies are G-canon, Lucas and leland chee pointed this out

Ushgarak
Ok, first of all, anyone saying any otjher Jedi survived the purge are wrong., Yoda's words are clear and unambiguous. Luke is the LAST JEDI. There are no others. None at all. Not one.

Secondly, the letter-based continuity system is for the EU itself.

Thirdly, all of this is irrelevant to the fact that the game is grossly overpowered to be about what it purports to represent, and that Lucasrtas is concentrating on this absurdity and this makes the chances of it actually being a good game far more remote.

Spidervlad
But, like 85% of the Star Wars games I played during the Empire Galactic War, I see some Jedi other then Luke, Ben, Sidious, and Vader.

Take Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds for example, there was a level there where you find a jedi on Tatooine while playing for the Rebels.(Or that was Empire At War, I don't remember)

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>