best rts's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mith fox
what are the best rts out there for the pc

Smasandian
Easily Company of Heroes, fantastic game.

MadMel
^
currently, coh is dominating..

Smasandian
Yep.

I hope they come out with an expansion, or a sequel spanning different theaters. Wouldnt mind seeing an Battle of The Bulge/Marketgarden expansion pack, or Pacific War sequel with sea battles.

Burning thought
i would personally say Supreme commander, its quite new but i think it quite easily tops COH....then agen ime not the sort of perosn who likes World war troops, i prefer fantasy or sci-fi, more interesting

mith fox
Yea same here let me correct my self. what are the best fantasy/scifi rts

Blaxican
Star Craft> ANY other rts EVER.

mith fox
I got starcraft and am buying warcraft battlechest off of ebay as soon as i find a item when no one wants to OUTBID ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ESB -1138
Originally posted by mith fox
Yea same here let me correct my self. what are the best fantasy/scifi rts

Star Wars: Empire at War would give you an awesome experience with huge fleets battling it out with one another. The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth is an awesome game for LotR fans and then some with some pretty cool fractions and some awesome abilities and heroes like Faramir and the Witch-king.

BackFire
Warcraft III, Dawn of War and its expansions, Starcraft.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Burning thought
i would personally say Supreme commander, its quite new but i think it quite easily tops COH....then agen ime not the sort of perosn who likes World war troops, i prefer fantasy or sci-fi, more interesting

Completly different games though.

Company Of Heroes is about small squads and highly adaptible tatics. The squads are good for about anything. It's all about small war.

Supreme Commander, havnt played it yet, planning to get it, is all about huge war strategy. It's in the similiar vain as Starcraft somewhat. There is tons of strategy depth with hundreds of different tatics and units. It's more of an old school RTS.

Overall, both are great. CoH is great on an realistic scale and small scale which is awesome. Supreme Commander is more about crazy units and big scale strategy.

IT's great right now to be an RTS fan. Coh, Supreme Commander, Command And Conquer 3....its an really good year.

DarkC
StarCraft, WarCraft III.

JToTheP
Command & Conquer 3 is going to kick ass hardcore.

Red Alert 1 is my favorite of all time. 2 as a close second, and then Command & Conquer.

Spearhead
SC, Dawn of War (at least visually), some of the C+C's, though I forget which because they all blend together for me...

dirkdirden
I'm playing age of empires for the DS and I would recomend it for an RTS for the ds.

for the pc my flavorite is still Warcraft 2 bloodlusted ogre's own all.

Smasandian
I never really enjoyed Warcraft 3 aside from the story.

Burning thought
god i had an awsome game of Supreme commander last nite laughing abosolute madness indeed, it was a 2v2 match and me and my m8 knew eachother in the same clan so we put up Team speak and the battle was crazy, robots and machines from all corners of the map attacking, i was concentrating on economy boosting while my ally was building gunships in huge groups and smashing our opponents Mass extractors

by the end of all this tho it seems our opponents dug in and started going for the big things, Galactic colossus' for example were built by the less skilled but still worthy player down in the right bottom corner which are huge skyscraper sized laser beam firing robots of incredible strength so after a few screams on Teamspeak and a tactical strategy later my m8 sent about 50 gunships round the back of this players base and killed his commander which annhiliates him and all his stuff from the game, he had no protection for it... Happy Dance

then it was just an all out rush of about 200 robots all stomping towards the last guys huge defences, he was within a few minutes of finishing a nuke when we poured in and destroyed everything and finally his commande was in sight and bravely stood his ground....but was annhiliated in the end..awsome game, wish id saved the replay embarrasment

MadMel
grr..i wouldve wanted to watch that

Burning thought
sry stick out tongue infact id like to see it agen myself, was quite an awsome game

Kaldorei
Starcraft BW and Warcraft 3- TFT yes

§P0oONY
Total War series, easily.

Burning thought
nah, bit too slow for my tastes, stunning graphics and a lot of detail..not a bad big game but ah well

Smasandian
Didnt get into the Total War series either.

mith fox
Well i was thinking of buying the war craft battle chest and also unreal tournament 2004.I figure those and star craft brood wars should keep me happy for a while.

Smasandian
Warcraft Battlechest is a great value and really good game. (I assume you mean 3).

But I would seriously consider Company Of Heroes and Supreme Commader. COH is an amazing game. Supreme Commader is incredible y deep.

mith fox
I am also downloading the free version of anarchyonline just saying I like mmorpgs but most wont work on my PC. COH wont work on my PC i did a systems check at a website i go to but i dont know about supreme commander.

Soljer
Starcraft.

Nothing's improved.

doan_m

Spidervlad
COH
Starcraft
Rome: Total War
and Medieval 2: Total War
Star Wars: Empire at War (It felt great killing Rebels with like 15 destroyer cruisers under my control)
Age of Empire's series (The father of RTS games, why didn't anyone mention it?)

Warhammer 40,000 series wasn't that good for me...

I think thats about it...

Smasandian
I'm sorry but Starcraft was defining moment for RTS.

It still carries the SC.

Supreme Commander, good game, but I hate the pathfinding in this game. Ahh, its soo annoying, and the scale is impressive, but its too much sometimes. I can barely see all the units, and sometimes I attack one side, and then I'm like, "where the hell is the other group"...realizing that they got obilerated and I didnt see it. And the singleplayer is crap.

doan_m
For me, Starcraft did nothing for me. I wasn't impressed with it's simplicity(or the fact that you can only select a max of 12 units which really irked me), cheap rush tactics. It did however have a half decent storyline and clicking on a single unit multiple time amused me.

Hmmm. For me it was actually quite easy to keep track on every single unit and action in the game and to keep track of my losses as well. It gets even easier when your using both the main screen and the mini map screen(which can both be zoomed in and out to my own surprise). Hell, most of the time, when i'm playing the tactical screen is my main screen and the screen to see my battles are actually my min map.
Holding SpaceBar is your friend as you get that DoW camera feel. If you let go though it will return to normal. There is however a button(cant recall which one) that negates that function and leaves the camera as free form as you want it.
And to be fair, Chris Taylor made this game to be more oriented towards Multiplayer. Just like the first Dawn of War was centralized around multiplayer. Both had poor Single Player but that did not stop them from being a downright awesome game.

Blaxican
"Cheap rush tactics"? It's easy to counter rush tactics, in all honesty.

Smasandian
Yeah, it is.

The only people who complained about rush tactics is people who couldnt defend rush tactics.

You have to remember that SC came out in the late 90's. Obviously, games of today are going to be better, but what SC did was unbelieveable. Still havnt found a game where 3 sides are competely different (not just looks) gameplay wise, yet all our evenly balanced. The units are also some of the best I've seen still today.

It's not the camera that bugs me....its how small each individual unit is. Maybe its something to get used too, but it's Supreme Commader is not as good as CoH, even thought they're completely different games.

doan_m
Originally posted by Blaxican
"Cheap rush tactics"? It's easy to counter rush tactics, in all honesty.

Actually that was the exact problem I had with SC. Too easy to counter it was.

§P0oONY
I loath space/future based games. I couldn't get into SC.

dirkdirden
War craft is the father of RTS not age of empires considering it came out in 1994 way before age of empires. Then Warcraft 2 came before age of empires did as well.

I think Warcraft 2 was the only RTS to win game of the year too.

Spidervlad
Age of Empires > Warcraft ALL the way. Added to that more people played Age of Empires. More people where wanting to play a game which would let them be in the medieval times, unlike Warcraft, which brought an unreal fantasy which gamers weren't really into yet. Warcraft became famous only after it's first serious.

§P0oONY
If you play the 1st AoE now it's just no longer fun anymore though.

Spidervlad
Comeone, admit it, anyone would play AoE 3 over Warcraft 3.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Comeone, admit it, anyone would play AoE 3 over Warcraft 3. I certainly would. I love the AoE series.

Burning thought
Originally posted by doan_m

how do you a counter a fast cybran mantis rush as the Aeon? i always have trouble when that happens...especially if its a fast really good player

personally tho, star craft was good but old...simply kicks it in the balls for me...if they made an updated version would be good but its the game i played when i was like..7-10/11 years old and now i got bored of it....

Supreme commander i would say is a great game, personally i enjoy singleplayer, AI isnt much of a challenge but i like the characters and the scope and scale is beyond any game in memory as is the size of battles and maps and how powerful things are...to defeat the best players you would probably have to learn longer and harder strategies and tactics far greater to comprehend by most other games due to the incredible scale

things like reclaiming but not too much...building but not over economic stress, rushing but dont overdo it if your losing units..also its especially hard to play for me as the Aeon, theyre powerful late and perhaps mid-game unlike the Cybrans but from about 3 games i played today i lost due to early mantis rushes and my weaker weaponry wasnt up to such an early attack

dirkdirden
Age of Empires > Warcraft ALL the way. Added to that more people played Age of Empires. More people where wanting to play a game which would let them be in the medieval times, unlike Warcraft, which brought an unreal fantasy which gamers weren't really into yet. Warcraft became famous only after it's first serious.

I play them both and it's up to preference on which one is better if you look at there average review score they are equal. I never argued that AOE wasn't more popular than Warcraft or that it wasn't better I just said warcraft is the god father of RTS because it was the first.

Warcraft 2 was the first RTS to win game of the year, that just sets warcraft title of founder of RTS even more.

Kaldorei
Warcraft RTS serie 1-3+Expansions > Anything big grin

mith fox
Not for me it's not and i still dont understand how everyone always has like 5 fleets of troops when i have barley 1.

Kaldorei
Numbers do not always matter. I saw a recording with one Marine, killing one burried Lurker (Of course, he used his HQ to see invisible) His micro was awesome! smile

Spidervlad
ranting
What the f**k? What the f**k?

Warcraft sucks.

((The_Anomaly))
Star Craft by far. Its like 11 years later and I'm still playing that game. You dont get a better RTS then Star Craft.

Smasandian

Your kidding me?

Nonbody was in Warcraft?

Hahahahahahahaha...so how you figure Warcraft 2, or Warcraft 3, all huge sellers.

AOE2 was awesome, but to think Warcraft didnt do well is seriously wrong.

If gamers werent in Warcraft's setting, we wouldnt have the 2 sequels plus countless expansions, and we wouldnt have World Of Warcraft.

Dirk, it wasnt Warcraft thats the founder of RTS. It was Dune 2 by Westwood Studios which created RTS. Warcraft was instrumental in making hugely popular.

Burning thought
why is starcraft so loved, i just get tired of it now, as well balanced and made it was its still old and its elements are old too, its gameplay altho unique is nothing compared to the grpahics and effects of COH which has great tactics or Supreme commander whos scope and scale is incredible and can cause intense games..but alot of headaches

mith fox
Ok here is my plan of what RTS to buy so far. starcraft(already owend)
warcraft battlechest and possibly diablo battlechest. Old games yes but they will be prefect to work on the pc in my room witch currently dose not have internet and is a old 95.

DarkC
ranting
What the f**k? What the f**k?

Warcraft sucks.
You hate Blizzard, we already know that.

Ownage

Cry more dumbass.

SaTsuJiN
I'm looking forward to Command and Conquer 3

currently my choice RTS's are

-Starcraft : Brood War
-Command and Conquer Generals : Zero Hour
-Age of Empires II : The Conquerors
-Warcraft III : The Frozen Throne

I'd definately like to give an honorable mention to Warhammer 40k RTS's.. they added an interesting twist with the conquest points

IceJaw
Originally posted by DarkC
You hate Blizzard, we already know that.

Ownage

Cry more dumbass.
laughing out loud

Homeworld 2. ermm

DarkC
why is starcraft so loved, i just get tired of it now, as well balanced and made it was its still old and its elements are old too, its gameplay altho unique is nothing compared to the grpahics and effects of COH which has great tactics or Supreme commander whos scope and scale is incredible and can cause intense games..but alot of headaches
Graphics and effects mean nothing in terms of classics.

Lana
Spidervlad, quit trolling around with your "I hate WoW/Warcraft" stuff. You do, that's great, but there's no need to go in threads about them just to post that. There's no point in doing so beyond trying to stir trouble and trolling is not going to be tolerated.

Blaxican

Pffft. I played SupCom at my friends house. Got bored with it after an hour and moved on...

Star Craft is much more fun, imo, despite it being old.

Smasandian

As DarkC pointed out. The game is old, so obviously the graphics and effects are not going to be good.

A game doesnt suck because its "old".

Spidervlad
If you count proportionally to the game and the age the game was created at, Starcraft takes it by a landslide. ALOT of people still play Starcraft, and it is preety old... It's one of the names of a game you can never forget no matter what.

Burning thought
Originally posted by Smasandian
As DarkC pointed out. The game is old, so obviously the graphics and effects are not going to be good.

i wasnt implying it sucked, its jsut hard to belive its so populour after all this time, i was a fan many years ago and played it tooo much but a lot of strategy games have hooked me as well..as grand as starcraft is i would never say its the "single" greatest RTS game like many say

§P0oONY

But a game can suck because it is outdated gameplay-wise...

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by §P0oONY
But a game can suck because it is outdated gameplay-wise...

only if its revisited and out-done by itself (via another in the franchise)

i.e. Diablo sucks because Diablo 2 is just so damn good (mind you D1 is still a classic.. but all the nostalgia in the world cant make you forget that you have to 'walk' everywhere >_< )

same with Resident Evil vs Resident Evil 4, and so on

Smasandian
Yeah, but even that is somewhat misleading.

Are we going to say that Doom sucks ass?

A game sucks when it comes out, not 10 years later when the advancements made from the old game are common property in new games. You can say its overrated, underrated, dated and such, but you cant say it sucks, unless you personally think the gameplay sucks when it came out, not because its old.

Spartan005
Originally posted by JToTheP
Command & Conquer 3 is going to kick ass hardcore.

Red Alert 1 is my favorite of all time. 2 as a close second, and then Command & Conquer.

RaventheOnly
For me this is really hard as my first RTS was the origional C&C, i never got into the warcraft series ever. My second was total annihilation which is what supreme commander is squeled after; thsi game in all honesty changed RTS forever it was the first 3D successful pwnage one.

Total Annihilation
C&C
Red Alret
Command and Conquer Generals/Zero Hour
AoE II (#1 was too ancient in mechanics/graphics)
Dawn of war series
Total War Series (Shogun was amazing when it first came out and they only improved on it dramatically)
Supreme Commander (wish they stuck with Core and Arm though)

Therefore for me the ground breaking RTS' were:
C&C
AoE
TA
Total War
Dawn of War

doan_m
#1 also had a freakishly low maximum unit pop cap of 50 which was something I very much disliked.

SaTsuJiN
I was checking out images of supreme commander.. its quite impressive.. anyone have any opinions on that game?

my latest RTS is still CnC3

RaventheOnly
#1 also had a freakishly low maximum unit pop cap of 50 which was something I very much disliked.
yuppers

RaventheOnly
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I was checking out images of supreme commander.. its quite impressive.. anyone have any opinions on that game?

my latest RTS is still CnC3

Ya it does but i miss the genocidalness of Core/Arm stick out tongue

Smasandian
Originally posted by RaventheOnly
For me this is really hard as my first RTS was the origional C&C, i never got into the warcraft series ever. My second was total annihilation which is what supreme commander is squeled after; thsi game in all honesty changed RTS forever it was the first 3D successful pwnage one.

Total Annihilation
C&C
Red Alret
Command and Conquer Generals/Zero Hour
AoE II (#1 was too ancient in mechanics/graphics)
Dawn of war series
Total War Series (Shogun was amazing when it first came out and they only improved on it dramatically)
Supreme Commander (wish they stuck with Core and Arm though)

Therefore for me the ground breaking RTS' were:
C&C
AoE
TA
Total War
Dawn of War

Warcraft and maybe Starcraft? They're more groundbreaking AoE.

RaventheOnly
WC and Starcraft didn't do anything in my opinion that was different other then emphasize massive multiplayer experiences. The genera they tried to bring to life was basically D&D and SC was stolen from the Warhammer universe which couldn't successfully create the conditions to show that till Dawn of War.

Burning thought
WC and Starcraft didn't do anything in my opinion that was different other then emphasize massive multiplayer experiences. The genera they tried to bring to life was basically D&D and SC was stolen from the Warhammer universe which couldn't successfully create the conditions to show that till Dawn of War.

Dawn of War rocks, they should definatley however bring out a massive Dawn of War 2 sequel tho with all the races, Dark elder and a true Tyranid race is missing, although that Mod is rather good for DoW for Tyranids but its not really the same, but a new Dawn of War would be awsome.

RaventheOnly
Ya, but wow it would be hard to create the mod. The next should be planet hoping and more universal i think. DoW talks about space fleets but never shows any airborne forces or anything. And we know the races have galactic fleets and empires.

Burning thought
yeh, so many more things id like to see in the game, Chaos being my faverite race id defiantley love to actually have the help of some of the Demons like bloodletters and those plague things that look like cyclops. I think it would be awsome if there was a system with Chaos a lot like the Tau where you can choose a path. With the Tau you get to choose one of two diffrent ways of combat. In Dawn of War 2 you could have the 4 paths of Blood, Plague, change etc etc and each one would give you a diffrent awsome set of unique powers nad such and the greater deamon of each. maybe you could even become Chaos undivided by sort of following all 4 which you access through perhaps your number of kills by using the units of each side and once you gain undivided status you get to summon Abaddon the Despoilor.

laughing a lot of crazy ideas but would be cool

Smasandian

Multiplayer experiences isnt considering groundbreaking?

The redefined how RTS's play online, and consider thats a massive part of RTS's nowadays. It's pretty big.

Warcraft bought on the whole idea of adding hero characters that could change the tide of battle, and you can upgrade them. RPG elemenets into RTS havnt been done since Warcraft 3.

Also, Starcraft was one of the first RTS that had three seperate factions, but had completely different play styles. Not just sprite colours, but completly different way of playing. Any game nowadays that employs factions are basically going from Starcraft.

Also, the idea of story in RTS that actually meant something came from Warcraft and Starcraft. Especially the cinematics.

How did Starcraft steal from Warhammer....just because they have an science fiction setting. That's bullshit. It has nothing to do with Warhammer.

RaventheOnly
Multiplayer experiences isnt considering groundbreaking?

The redefined how RTS's play online, and consider thats a massive part of RTS's nowadays. It's pretty big.

Warcraft bought on the whole idea of adding hero characters that could change the tide of battle, and you can upgrade them. RPG elemenets into RTS havnt been done since Warcraft 3.

Also, Starcraft was one of the first RTS that had three seperate factions, but had completely different play styles. Not just sprite colours, but completly different way of playing. Any game nowadays that employs factions are basically going from Starcraft.

Also, the idea of story in RTS that actually meant something came from Warcraft and Starcraft. Especially the cinematics.

How did Starcraft steal from Warhammer....just because they have an science fiction setting. That's bullshit. It has nothing to do with Warhammer.

Technically Red Alert was the first huge multiplayer game.

Total Annihlation Kingdoms also had heroes and came out abotu the same time with upgradeable stuff and a long long story.

Well technically C&C had 2 factions with completely different fighting styles and addign a third isn't a huge huge jump.

C&C had a massive story with some of the first cinematics intertwined i've ever seen. Also RA jsut took it to another level. SC ones are just way beter.

SC is a total rip off hehehe Space Marines, Zerg, Protoss are synonomous with Space Marine, Terich(can't spell it) and Eldar. The basic architype of human, cluster minded force, and alien intervieners. Warhammer was made a redicuously earleir time then SC and even the suits the SC marines have looks almost exactly the same except they have glass bubble helmets.

RaventheOnly

RaventheOnly
Technically Red Alert was the first huge multiplayer game.

Total Annihlation Kingdoms also had heroes and came out abotu the same time with upgradeable stuff and a long long story.

Well technically C&C had 2 factions with completely different fighting styles and addign a third isn't a huge huge jump.

C&C had a massive story with some of the first cinematics intertwined i've ever seen. Also RA jsut took it to another level. SC ones are just way beter.

SC is a total rip off hehehe Space Marines, Zerg, Protoss are synonomous with Space Marine, Terich(can't spell it) and Eldar. The basic architype of human, cluster minded force, and alien intervieners. Warhammer was made a redicuously earleir time then SC and even the suits the SC marines have looks almost exactly the same except they have glass bubble helmets.

Also to note that in Warhammer the earth empire is known as Terra; and SC Space Marines are Terran _ . _ The simple stuff is jsut so close to ignore. I understand that earth is also known in Latin/Greek as Terra; but why use it so convieniently unless you ment to? ><

Smasandian
Have you ever heard of influence?

I dont understand why you say Red Alert was technically the first MP game, but then say that Warcraft 2 was released before that.

C&C factions did not fight differently. One was less powered units by cheap numbers, while the other was vice versa. Each building is similiar in each faction.

SC on the other hand, every faction was completely different. From base setup, to units, to strategy, to resource gathering, to mostly everything. You had to play completely different each faction you played. You cant say the same thing about C&C, even the new one.

When I say that Starcraft and Warcraft took storytelling to actually mean something. What else did I mean? That's what I meant. Obviously, C&C had a story, but does anybody remember that story, or does anybody remember Starcraft's story. If you say the name Fenix, or Tasadar or Kerrigan.

And lastly, sure, maybe a few things are similiar to Warhammer, but its called being influence. I personally dont know if thats the case, but sure, Terran's are vaugly similiar to Terra.....the name of the planet and that they have space suits. How else would they survive in space?

RaventheOnly
WC 2 and RA where released at the same time pretty much and WC2 battle Dot net didn't come online till later.

I was msitaken and Dune realyl was the first RTS and it had 3 factions, one stealth, one brute tank force, and one light forces with air power. Basically Zerg are the mass ligth forces, Terran are medium balanced force and Protos are the advanced air forces.

I actually do, anyone who palyed thsoe games hears the name Kane you know who they are talking about wink i don't remebmer any of the SC names at all and the onyl reason i remember the WC ones is because of WoW.

hehehhe its just the whole similarities ontop of the suits looking similar to each other really.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Terran1.jpg

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/watermark.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2006/10/warhammer-marines-battle.jpg

((The_Anomaly))
Star Craft is the best RTS ever made. People still are actively playing it today after 10 years, thats lasting power, not to mention its still super fun to play....after 10 years. Almost no other RTS can say the same.

Star Craft is the best of the best without a doubt.

Burning thought
i think SC overall is the best in a way of innovation, but i still enjoy Supreme commadner and others more ,although i think the story of stracraft and its great gameplay is unique, most people only make the story or the gameplay good, however SC did both which is uniqe, all it needs now is a bit more innovaiton, some spit and polish ofcourse and you have SC 2, which would be awsome, made correctly it will throw most of todays RTS's into extinction in some ways.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.