Polar Bear vs. ??? (Yes, Digi, this IS comic related)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpunkySmurph
Ok...

So, in keeping with the latest (and coolest) thread trend, I decided to post a thread centered around teh coolest of the bear family: The Polar Bear!

My question to pose to the rest of you is: What is the weakest comic character that could take down a full grown Polar Bear?

Which Polar Bear, in particular, you might ask?

For the match, we'll assume the comic character battles the biggest Polar Bear on record. For reference, here's Wikipedia:

"The largest polar bear on record was shot in Kotzebue Sound, Alaska, in 1960. According to Guinness World Records 2006, this bear weighed an estimated 580 kg (1960 lb) and was 3.38 m (11 ft 11 in) tall when mounted"

Stips:
-Fight takes place in Alaska, within a generic ice/snow based field of terrain. Contestants (The bear and its prey) do not start facing each other, but are well aware of what the enemy looks like

-The bear is bloodlusted, but the comic character is not.

-For characters with weapons, no nerve gases/nitrogen capsules/etc. are allowed. Only traditional weaponry or powers are allowed.

So...

What is the weakest character in print that can take down The Bear?

RAWR!!!!

NiņoAraņa
Spider-man....13

DigiMark007
laughing out loud

Anyway, most comic characters can easily beat a Polar Bear. You'd have to get into no-powers bit players like, I dunno, JJ Jameson before the bear wins.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by DigiMark007
laughing out loud

Anyway, most comic characters can easily beat a Polar Bear. You'd have to get into no-powers bit players like, I dunno, JJ Jameson before the bear wins.

Nah.

A ton-pound Polar Bear takes Robin, for instance.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Nah.

A ton-pound Polar Bear takes Robin, for instance. no doubt....probably all three robins....and all those other robins Bats keeps in his basement that no one knows about.........

capt it up
dam it why does this get to stay open but non of my star wars threads

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by capt it up
dam it why does this get to stay open but non of my star wars threads Polar Bears>>>>>Star Wars

DigiMark007
dam it why does this get to stay open but non of my star wars threads

It won't stay open if it becomes a trend, but if it's just 1-2 threads, it's ok.

We also have a seperate forum for SW....polar bears, not so much.

So sorry, but meh.

capt it up
Originally posted by DigiMark007
It won't stay open if it becomes a trend, but if it's just 1-2 threads, it's ok.

We also have a seperate forum for SW....polar bears, not so much.

So sorry, but meh.
I was joking I don't really care lol.

capt it up
Grizly bears>>polar bears

NiņoAraņa
Grizly bears>>polar bears now we have something we can agree on........

SpunkySmurph

In a fight, or as an opinion?

Because, in a fight, the only ones that would be a threat to the Polar bears are the Kodiaks

MightyEInherjar

Bull. Polar Bears greatly outclass the North American Brown Bear (Grizzly) in size and strength. The average Grizzly is 300-700lbs, whereas the average Polar Bear is 1150lbs.

Polar Bears evolved from Browns to add extra girth and slicing claws (compared to the dull claws of a Brown) to their arsenal.

capt it up
In a fight, or as an opinion?

Because, in a fight, the only ones that would be a threat to the Polar bears are the Kodiaks
False. Both a grizzly and Kodiaks are the same type of bear with a few slight differences, but both are brown bears.

Grizzly bear is made for battle. They have massive claws that are far longer in size then that of a Polar bear which allows them to attack and kill easily with a simple swipe of there claws.

you really have to stop using wiki

capt it up
Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
Bull. Polar Bears greatly outclass the North American Brown Bear (Grizzly) in size and strength. The average Grizzly is 300-700lbs, whereas the average Polar Bear is 1150lbs.

Polar Bears evolved from Browns to add extra girth and slicing claws (compared to the dull claws of a Brown) to their arsenal.
Thats bull shit. There claws are far from dull and are much longer then that of a polar bear.

capt it up
also size means nothing in battle as a siberian tiger kills some of the largest brown bears in the world for food some times.

Martian_mind
Dude....Smurph is so a polar fanboy.

capt it up
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Dude....Smurph is so a polar fanboy.
thats good I have never been a fan. I spend my time studying tigers, turtles, salt water crocs and wolverines. The spend time studyign other creatures how ever I read up on these animals on a constant basis

capt it up
when I say grizzly bear I mean brown bears as a whole since there most common referred to as the brown bear or the grizzly

Martian_mind
I like Badgers.

What?They're cool......they're capable of disembowling a fully grown human.

capt it up
I like Badgers.

yes if they are able to get in there whole there next to impossable to defeat in the wild for any animal including wolfs.

SpunkySmurph
False. Both a grizzly and Kodiaks are the same type of bear with a few slight differences, but both are brown bears.

Grizzly bear is made for battle. They have massive claws that are far longer in size then that of a Polar bear which allows them to attack and kill easily with a simple swipe of there claws.

you really have to stop using wiki

I know, but the average Kodiak has the size and strength advantage over the typical grizzly bear.

Actually, seeing as the polar bear is the most carnivorous member of the bear family, I would judge them to be the battlers.

Also, they have the definite strength advantage and more powerful claws made for catching the powerful seals.

capt it up
I know, but the average Kodiak has the size and strength advantage over the typical grizzly bear.

Actually, seeing as the polar bear is the most carnivorous member of the bear family, I would judge them to be the battlers.

Also, they have the definite strength advantage and more powerful claws made for catching the powerful seals.

Just becuase they eat only meat does not make them better fighters when they do not battle nearly as much as a brown bear. Polar bears on average are slight bigger then a grizzly bear however that due to the fact they put grizzly from north america and the ones from asia as the same bear. The ones from asia are much bigger on average and even reach sizes that are greater then polar bears reach. They also have to deal with other preditors such as siberian tigers and other brown bears. They averagly have far more experience fighting due to thses factors. There claws are much larger then a polar bears and are designed for combat while polar bears claws are not. Brown bears from asia would more often then not defeat the polar bear in combat

Martian_mind
A badger takes them all.There you go,no more arguing.

capt it up
A badger takes them all.There you go,no more arguing.
you would like wolverines if you like badgers. There pritty much a bigger more bad ass version of a badger

Martian_mind
....A Badger has a white stripe and is used frequently in Redwall

Badger>>>>>>>>>>Smelly Wolverine.

and the animals too shifty

MightyEInherjar
Thats bull shit. There claws are far from dull and are much longer then that of a polar bear.

I never said they were smaller, I said they were made for SLICING. A brown bears claws are long and made for DIGGING, whereas the Polar Bear uses it's claws to cut open seal flesh.

Siberian Tigers are also known to DIE trying to kill those bears. Also, the tiger has two of the things that put the Polar Bear above the Grizzly: Arm (leg) Strength matched with Slicing Claws. Now, I'm not being so ignorant as to say a Siberian Tiger has anywhere near the strength as a Grizzly, but I'm saying that matched with it's claws gives it a distinct advantage.

Now, to the bears. The Polar Bear has a GREATLY improved leg/arm strength, as well as a better usage of it's weight. It has evolved from the Grizzly to have stronger shoulders and limbs to smash through ice, as well as the sharp, cutting claws to grip seals and fling them from their burrows.

Lets look at the common diet of the Grizzly Bear: roots, parsnips, grasses, sedges, and a variety fish. 15% of their diet is meat.

Now, the Polar Bears: Ringed Seals, Bearded Seals, Harp Seals, Hooded Seals, and on the more extreme end: Beluga Whales, Narwhals, Walruses and Bowhead Whales. Their diet is over 90% meat.

My point?

With their size, strength, and tools created specifically to cut flesh and take down other stronger, heavier animals, the Polar Bear is far more equipped and is much more comfortable in a 'combat situation' than a Grizzly.

Polar>Grizzly.

swerve1988
superman

SpunkySmurph
Just becuase they eat only meat does not make them better fighters when they do not battle nearly as much as a brown bear. Polar bears on average are slight bigger then a grizzly bear however that due to the fact they put grizzly from north america and the ones from asia as the same bear. The ones from asia are much bigger on average and even reach sizes that are greater then polar bears reach. They also have to deal with other preditors such as siberian tigers and other brown bears. They averagly have far more experience fighting due to thses factors. There claws are much larger then a polar bears and are designed for combat while polar bears claws are not. Brown bears from asia would more often then not defeat the polar bear in combat

Please.

A polar bear easily has more combat expierience.

A brown bear occaisionally must fight off a tiger or another bear, but their average diet consists of grasses, fruits, bulbs and roots, insects, fish and small animals. In few areas there are known to be predators of larger animals such as caribou and moose.

The polar bear, for their CONSTANT diet must kill such animals as seals, young walruses, beluga whales, musk oxen, reindeer, and the bigger ones even go for adult walruses, which are generally twice the weight of the polar bear. Thats a waaaaaaaaaay bigger predator for you.

MightyEInherjar
Heh, didn't I just say all that?

SpunkySmurph

...maybe. embarrasment

Martian_mind

Yeah,but no one listens to you stick out tongue

MightyEInherjar
Polar Bear pwns Walrus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob_oD1IsYbE

SpunkySmurph
This makes me want to create a Polar Bear respect thread. miffed

Of course, Digi would just shut it down, but still...

Badabing
thats good I have never been a fan. I spend my time studying tigers, turtles, salt water crocs and wolverines. The spend time studyign other creatures how ever I read up on these animals on a constant basis
Capt, I have a turtle for you to study. Here it is: shit

Martian_mind
I think you should make a Domino respect thread....

SpunkySmurph
I think you should make a Domino respect thread....

Maybe if she starts getting some controversy ermmnone

Martian_mind
Maybe i should make her one.

Soljer
Just for your information; all three robins take the polar bear too.

Well, maybe not Tim....but Dick and Jason? Definitely.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Soljer
Just for your information; all three robins take the polar bear too.

Well, maybe not Tim....but Dick and Jason? Definitely.

nahuh

Metalmanx
I never said they were smaller, I said they were made for SLICING. A brown bears claws are long and made for DIGGING, whereas the Polar Bear uses it's claws to cut open seal flesh.

Siberian Tigers are also known to DIE trying to kill those bears. Also, the tiger has two of the things that put the Polar Bear above the Grizzly: Arm (leg) Strength matched with Slicing Claws. Now, I'm not being so ignorant as to say a Siberian Tiger has anywhere near the strength as a Grizzly, but I'm saying that matched with it's claws gives it a distinct advantage.

Now, to the bears. The Polar Bear has a GREATLY improved leg/arm strength, as well as a better usage of it's weight. It has evolved from the Grizzly to have stronger shoulders and limbs to smash through ice, as well as the sharp, cutting claws to grip seals and fling them from their burrows.

Lets look at the common diet of the Grizzly Bear: roots, parsnips, grasses, sedges, and a variety fish. 15% of their diet is meat.

Now, the Polar Bears: Ringed Seals, Bearded Seals, Harp Seals, Hooded Seals, and on the more extreme end: Beluga Whales, Narwhals, Walruses and Bowhead Whales. Their diet is over 90% meat.

My point?

With their size, strength, and tools created specifically to cut flesh and take down other stronger, heavier animals, the Polar Bear is far more equipped and is much more comfortable in a 'combat situation' than a Grizzly.

Polar>Grizzly.

Please.

A polar bear easily has more combat expierience.

A brown bear occaisionally must fight off a tiger or another bear, but their average diet consists of grasses, fruits, bulbs and roots, insects, fish and small animals. In few areas there are known to be predators of larger animals such as caribou and moose.

The polar bear, for their CONSTANT diet must kill such animals as seals, young walruses, beluga whales, musk oxen, reindeer, and the bigger ones even go for adult walruses, which are generally twice the weight of the polar bear. Thats a waaaaaaaaaay bigger predator for you.

Agreed. On all accounts.

Polar Bear > Grizzly Bear.

SpunkySmurph
Teh Bump. ermmnone

NiņoAraņa
Teh Bump. ermmnone anti-bump 13

ExtraMision5555
teh bump. smile

SpunkySmurph
You guys are ruining the debate. haermm

SpunkySmurph
We STILL havent answered the question.

And how could Nightwing take down a ton-pound Polar Bear?

Symmetric Chaos
We STILL havent answered the question.

And how could Nightwing take down a ton-pound Polar Bear?

Trick it into falling off a cliff?

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Bullet to the head?

PressurePoint?

BFR?

KnockOutGas?

1. Nightwing using a gun is extremley OoC
2. How would he know pressure points to use on an Alaskan Polar Bear?
3. Explain?
4. Read the OP

Symmetric Chaos
1. Nightwing using a gun is extremley OoC
2. How would he know pressure points to use on an Alaskan Polar Bear?
3. Explain?
4. Read the OP

Just read the OP and edited

SpunkySmurph
Just read the OP and edited

So I see.

BTW, I'm changing something:

-NEW RULE: For the battle, characters do not get their regular gear/weapons. Instead, they get their suit, their powers, and a big club. No using claws for Wolverine, no using guns for Punisher, no shield for Cap, etc.

NiņoAraņa
So I see.

BTW, I'm changing something:

-NEW RULE: For the battle, characters do not get their regular gear/weapons. Instead, they get their suit, their powers, and a big club. No using claws for Wolverine, no using guns for Punisher, no shield for Cap, etc. Hercules/Heman wins

Symmetric Chaos
Seriously KingPin might be able to do it.

I'd also give most good tacticians good odds on getting the bear to BFR itself off a clif.

SpunkySmurph
Not easily. Remember, the bear knows the land. This is his turf. Besides, they would have to physically FORCE the bear off the cliff once it was close. Kingpin cant do that.

SpunkySmurph
Clearly you all just dont want to admit your favourite character would get beaten down by the bear. glare

Scoobless
I like Badgers.

Badgers >>>>>>>>> Dogs (possibly wolves as well)

smile

FOOM
Ringmaster

qqqqqqq
wolverine killed three bloodlusted polar bears when he was hunting for mauvais. those bears are HUGE!

MightyEInherjar
I'd maintain that a majority of all street levelers would get their asses handed to them by a polar bear in these conditions.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Scoobless
Badgers >>>>>>>>> Dogs (possibly wolves as well)

smile naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Wolvies>>>>>>>>Badgers

Hercules
Wolverines are insane creatures, they are like Badgers on steroids!

A big Wolverine only weighs 55lbs but they have been known to prey on Moose! (weaker older ones but still)

There is an account of one trying to steal a kill from a Black Bear, it was killed but these things know no fear.

A Wolverine would wtfpwn a badger!

grey fox
Polar Bear devours Robins , tussles with night wing , Jason goes the way of the seal and Batman WTFPWNS the bear.

The guy knows pressure points for fuggin GORILLAS , I doubt a Polar Bear is too far-fetched.

Grimm22
Ok...

So, in keeping with the latest (and coolest) thread trend, I decided to post a thread centered around teh coolest of the bear family: The Polar Bear!

My question to pose to the rest of you is: What is the weakest comic character that could take down a full grown Polar Bear?

Which Polar Bear, in particular, you might ask?

For the match, we'll assume the comic character battles the biggest Polar Bear on record. For reference, here's Wikipedia:

"The largest polar bear on record was shot in Kotzebue Sound, Alaska, in 1960. According to Guinness World Records 2006, this bear weighed an estimated 580 kg (1960 lb) and was 3.38 m (11 ft 11 in) tall when mounted"

Stips:
-Fight takes place in Alaska, within a generic ice/snow based field of terrain. Contestants (The bear and its prey) do not start facing each other, but are well aware of what the enemy looks like

-The bear is bloodlusted, but the comic character is not.

-For characters with weapons, no nerve gases/nitrogen capsules/etc. are allowed. Only traditional weaponry or powers are allowed.

So...

What is the weakest character in print that can take down The Bear?

RAWR!!!!

The coolest bear family? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I think you're forgetting the best one...

The Chicago Bears! cool

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Grimm22/SuperBowlshuffle2.jpg

Hercules
Originally posted by Grimm22
The coolest bear family? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I think you're forgetting the best one...

The Chicago Bears! cool

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Grimm22/SuperBowlshuffle2.jpg

There were better pictures you could have used to prove they were cool! laughing

Mindship
What is the weakest comic character that could take down a full grown Polar Bear?

For characters with weapons, no nerve gases/nitrogen capsules/etc. are allowed. Only traditional weaponry or powers are allowed.

I would say Batman or any top martial artist would have a good chance. Why? Consider... http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/oyama

Specifically...
"Mas Oyama, in order to show the strength of his karate, tested his strength by fighting raging bulls bare-handed. It was a mismatch from the get-go for the bulls, not for Oyama. In all, he fought 52 bulls, three of which were killed instantly, and 49 had their horns taken off with knife hand blows"

Granted, a polar bear would be tougher than a bull (or would it?), but 52 bulls? I get tired just thinking about it.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Hercules
Wolverines are insane creatures, they are like Badgers on steroids!

A big Wolverine only weighs 55lbs but they have been known to prey on Moose! (weaker older ones but still)

There is an account of one trying to steal a kill from a Black Bear, it was killed but these things know no fear.

A Wolverine would wtfpwn a badger!

A honey badger would tear a wolverine apart evil face

Hercules
Originally posted by Dreampanther
A honey badger would tear a wolverine apart evil face

orly...

Same temperment, both have no known predators, but the Wolverine is bigger and more powerful.

Honey Badger just refuse to die, took a Leopard an hour to kill and old toothless one.

And I can't believe you got me talking about badger baiting... sad

Dreampanther
I don't know enough about wolverines to make an educated guess, actually. I was just teasing. I have an inordinate amount of respect for a honey badger, and have read a lot about them. I know honey badgers have been reputed (and proved) to kill animals much, much larger than them - apparently they go for the scrotum and tear that out (yep, they go for the balls!) and then they leave the animal to bleed to death.

Honey badgers are also the only animals I am aware of with a skin so loose that they can literally turn around inside their skin when attacked from behind, to counter-attack.

I have seen a honey badger bitten by a puff-adder in a fight, and two hours later, fully recovered, consume the puff-adder for lunch.

A honey badger has even been reputed to kill a buffalo (but that has never been proven).

So I don't know.

Since I'm a honey badger fan, I'll vote for the honey badger - but I do understand why you support the wolverine, from all accounts, if I was American, I would have been arguing for the wolverine as well.

But I'm not.

So, honey badger for the win! Happy Dance

Hercules
I'm not American wink

Most members of the Badger/Weasel family are tough as hell though and much stronger than their size indicates.

Still only way you will know for sure is to stick them in a cage together and I don't think the RSPCA take to kindly to that!

Dreampanther
Yeah - truth is, I wouldn't like it much either - I really like animals.

If it did accidentally happen, I would be very, very curious about the outcome, though...

Since we are already off-topic, did you see that program on National Geographic where they get experts on animals to argue about who would win in a fight betwee for instance a polar bear and a walrus (hey, I mentioned a polar bear, so maybe I'm not off-topic after all!).

Anyway, the last one I saw I completely disagreed with - the put a jaguar against an anaconda, and according to them, the anaconda won.

But, and this is an important but, they never showed the jaguar using his back claws for the disembowelling movements all cats are so notorious for. And if you know anything about cats, you would know that it is probably one of their most (if not THE most) lethal move they have.

So why, I wanna know, do they pit a jaguar against an anaconda, in the water (already giving the edge to the anaconda) and then not even once showing the big cat using his most lethal move?

Flippen crap expert, if you ask me...

Symmetric Chaos
I'm not American wink

Most members of the Badger/Weasel family are tough as hell though and much stronger than their size indicates.

Still only way you will know for sure is to stick them in a cage together and I don't think the RSPCA take to kindly to that!

Just imagine if the HighEv had been experimenting on a HoneyBadger when Thor interupted him.

The joke coming from me having just read this RespectThread: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/442918_1-respect-man-beast

Hercules
Just imagine if the HighEv had been experimenting on a HoneyBadger when Thor interupted him.

The joke coming from me having just read this RespectThread: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/442918_1-respect-man-beast

My God, it would rule the universe! jawdrop

Don't Polar Bear's already Prey on Walrus, just not the Adults and Definetly not the Bull's?

No I haven't seen it, Jaguar's are BIG cats, Third largest behind Tigers and Lions, very Stocky animals too, I live not far from Chester and there are a few there, that they're trying to Breed from, the only way an Anaconda or any reticulator for that matter is taking something like a Jaguar is by suprise.

On land, face to face, Anaconda is at a very serious disadvantage, in the water though, its the Anaconda all night long.

They do on occasion eat people but even then its only by surprise or in one case I know about, when the poor bloke was sleeping!

EDIT: The Jaguars are in the Zoo obviously!

Grimm22
There were better pictures you could have used to prove they were cool! laughing

Are you seriously saying the 85' Bears aren't cool What the f**k?

Hercules
Originally posted by Grimm22
Are you seriously saying the 85' Bears aren't cool What the f**k?

Not in that picture they arn't. wink

Dreampanther
WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Check this out - this prove that expert on National Geographic was a moron!

I am gonna flippen write them and complain...

http://www.maniacworld.com/Jaguar-vs-Anaconda.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.