Medieval: Total War 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spidervlad
I searched, and when I found no thread of it, I was like WTF?!

It is so great, I shited myself when playing it once.

It's like I was playing a 3 v 3 on Multiplayer, there was like 13,000 troops in all. I was about to win when like 10 elephants and 7 artillery guns hit me =(

Annnyyyyyywaaays, this game rocks. You can recreate a battle, feel it, GREAAAT graphics.

Now, it has one of the best graphics of a strategy game. Right? Only like Comany of Heroes has better. However, company of heroes can only have up to about what, 70 units max?
Here you can have up to 12000 in all on MP, and have the graphics of one of the best strategy games. Isn't that pwnage?

It has a great campaign mode, which is like War of The Ring except about 50(?) times bigger. Stretching from Venice to Egypt to Mongol's, there are many opportunites.

Another cool thing I like about this game? Numbers don't mean crack. Well, not unless you have like 3,000 and your opponent has 200. But yeah, once I defeated like 300 with only a unit of archers, which is equivalent to 50. Tactics win here wink Especially on MP.

Anyway guys, lets discuss it here!

Blaxican
One squad of archers defeating 300 soldiers? That goes beyond tactics...

Though I imagine it'd be fun to watch. I do that in STar Craft sometimes in singleplayer. Activate godmode then send a single Marine into a highly defended base and watcg the carnage...

Morridini
How is the multiplayer? That has always been the worst thing in the Total War games.

And as for 50 Archers defeating 300 soldiers, what's weird about that? Say each archer has 20 arrows, and hits 50% of the time, then they can still kill 500 soldiers. Especially if they are defending a position.

Ushgarak
Archers are dreadfully underpowered in Total War; always have been. First thing mdoders tend to do is up the killing power of archers.

Spidervlad
MP? They improved it ALOT in Medieval 2. The only thing that starts to lag behind it a little is sometimes, if a player has settings which are too great for his comp, and he's playing with you, it can get a little laggy. But the lag is bareable, nothing serious. You know get to have a match of 3 v 3, with up to 15,000 units. Preety cool, seeming that only tactics can win. I once made this tactic, I called "Bunker" When I told my 2 teammates to put archers on my flank, and then on the 2 sides of me, and i'll put mines on the front, and gather all of our pikers behind the archers, and then the knights, and then the horsemen. It preety much worked :P

Also, now in campaign you have to deal with the assignments of the pope or the muslim guy... If you don't they will ban you out of your religion, and you can have alot of people revolting against you. The Pope will also sometimes call a crusade, which you can pick to join or not to join... However joining will give you better relations with the Pope. There are many features in this game.

Also Ush, they seemed to up the archer power since Rome... Now they can preety much kill 25% of an army thats advancing towards you, if your at a defending position with your archers in the front. Beatiful display btw :P Seeing your enemy go right into you, and your archers taking them down. You can also fire up the arrows which gives them a less of accuracy, but more damage.

The only thing about this game I find dissapointing, is that the AI is a bit stupid. Whenever they try to siege you, they won't move until you come out of the castle and get up like 1 meter in front of them... I have no idea why. Probably it was ment to be like a "Stand your ground!" tactic... But it was annoying.

K73SK
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Archers are dreadfully underpowered in Total War; always have been. First thing mdoders tend to do is up the killing power of archers. the first medieval total war, my archers always owned, i dont know what happen to ur game stick out tongue

id always have lots of archers, and every wave of arrows would kill 20-30 troops in 1 unit...this is when i had units go up to 60 troops or something around that #.

but as for the commanders of the army...every total war game i've played, he'd always be like god. takes 2 whole units to take him out because of his enormous ammount of health

Ushgarak
"Also Ush, they seemed to up the archer power since Rome... Now they can preety much kill 25% of an army thats advancing towards you, if your at a defending position with your archers in the front. Beatiful display btw :P Seeing your enemy go right into you, and your archers taking them down. You can also fire up the arrows which gives them a less of accuracy, but more damage."

You seriously cannot do that with armoured enemies. You don't do anything like that much damage. The best way to deal with archers is simply to charge them down; you never take any significant casualties doing so unless your unit is useless.

MP in M:TW 2 was a DISASTER for me as there were no AI bots in it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

And on that subject... the AI is still broken. As Vlad notes.

Spidervlad
Ush, have you ever tried using Archer Cavalry? I can pracitcaly lure half of my opponent's army with them.

I don't find anything that bad in MP.

And commmanders are SOOOOOO underpowered in Total War 2.

Ushgarak
I like to play Total War co-op with friends against computer players, often outnumbered. You can't in MTW2. I was crushed. That was my main issue.

Yes, it was the same with chariots in RTW; the AI goes to pieces against mobile archery.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.