Silmarillion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Light Warrior
Anyone here read it? It's another tolkien book. It's about what happened before the third age and how middle earth was created. It's really cool. It's an elf that fight all existed balrogs for a long time and a elven king that damages the dark lord, (morgoth, wich is a giant, and 20 times bigger then the elf) It is really nice..

DigiMark007
Hehe. I'll bite, since I've read it.

Even for Tolkien enthusiasts, this can be a tough read. Parts of it read much more like a history than an adventure tale.

But yes, it's a highly interesting if you can get through it. Tolkien himself was much more emotionally involved with The Simarillion than even the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He spent longer writing the parts of Sim., edited and revised it numerous times, and didn't even have it published during his lifetime because he was never fully happy with it (Tolkien was a voracious editor of his own work). It was only posthumously that his son Christopher put together the various parts and had them published.

The names "Beren and Luthien" are inscribed on Tolkien's and his wife's tombstones, respectively....a telling sign of how close the tale was to his heart.

And yeah, Morgoth (Melkor), is Sauron's original master, and a "god" in Tolkien's mythology. If you think of, say, Odin or Zeus turning evil, you have an idea of what Morgoth was.

masterkit
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=315174&highlight=Silmarillion+forumid%3A67

Search Engine? Kay. Thanks. wink

DigiMark007
Originally posted by masterkit
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=315174&highlight=Silmarillion+forumid%3A67

Search Engine? Kay. Thanks. wink

Boo. I posted in this one though, so it's automatically better.

*pushes for a merge instead of closing this one*

Thorinn

DigiMark007
Meh, I interpret it into comic book terminology (dork, I know). The Iluvatar = God (as in The Actual Lone Creator). Whereas Morgoth = Zeus/Odin....people who call themselves "gods" but didn't really have a hand in creation itself. It helps me represent it in terms of power scales.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.