Something that's winding me up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chillmeistergen
I'm getting wound up by so called veterans of this site having whole threads just chocker block full of sh!tty little smiley faces. Are you that illiterate that you can't use the english language, and have to resort to some modern form of cave drawings? No wonder most of you have so many posts, most of them are probably some smug in jokey face.

pcp
who's gonna be first to reply with a smiley face then?

Dreampanther
Nah, it's too easy.

But I'm willing to bet a lot of money that pretty soon this thread is gonna be full of smiley faces, laughing faces, thumbs up signs, etc...

Magee
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I'm getting wound up by so called veterans of this site having whole threads just chocker block full of sh!tty little smiley faces. Are you that illiterate that you can't use the english language, and have to resort to some modern form of cave drawings? No wonder most of you have so many posts, most of them are probably some smug in jokey face. thumb down

chillmeistergen
yep and they'll all find it utterly hilarious. Sickening

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Magee
thumb down

idiot

Bardock42
Originally posted by pcp
who's gonna be first to reply with a smiley face then?

Well..not first, but second.

I'm getting wound up by so called veterans of this site having whole threads just chocker block full of sh!tty little smiley faces. Are you that illiterate that you can't use the english language, and have to resort to some modern form of cave drawings? No wonder most of you have so many posts, most of them are probably some smug in jokey face.

headshotkmc

Besides, I don't see the problem if some folks like that, it doesn't matter to me, I have lots of smaller replies, but it doesn't really change anything, since post count should be of no matter anyways.

Magee
idiot Who is the real idiot? smilies or whatever are a way of getting emotion accross to show how you feel on the internet because in case you did not realise, it's hard to do so using text. roll eyes (sarcastic)

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Bardock42

Besides, I don't see the problem if some folks like that, it doesn't matter to me, I have lots of smaller replies, but it doesn't really change anything, since post count should be of no matter anyways.

I see the problem, it's fvcking annoying, it's like some kind of exclusive club of people who only communicate in a inane fashion. Also post count really does matter here, if someone with a low post count in anyway criticises another member or the forums themselves, they are immediately undermined due to their low post count.

pcp
smile

I'm happy

both the same

Bardock42
I see the problem, it's fvcking annoying, it's like some kind of exclusive club of people who only communicate in a inane fashion. Also post count really does matter here, if someone with a low post count in anyway criticises another member or the forums themselves, they are immediately undermined due to their low post count.

It's not a club you can't get into though....if you feel like that is something you would enjoy.

And I never encountered that here in the GDF. What might be valued is the registration date, but post count is hardly important. There are some very respected members here with not so high post count, and lots of major idiots with high post count.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Magee
Who is the real idiot? smilies or whatever are a way of getting emotion accross to show how you feel on the internet because in case you did not realise, it's hard to do so using text. roll eyes (sarcastic)

If you have to resort to using a little yellow face to express your emotions and feelings, then just don't bother, they're not worth knowing about.

pcp
If I wanted to get across the emotion of a dancing banana, it'd be rather difficult for my limited vocabulary.

So I can use this little ditty... Happy Dance

lil bitchiness
Those are reserved for OTF Forum, whos whole function is to contain mindless off-topic posts, even if it involves a whole threads full of smilies.

Complaining about it will not reduce the amount of smilies utalised, I am sure you release.

Also, just a question, I picked up on reading your post, does ''being literate'' only corrolate with being able to write English?

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Those are reserved for OTF Forum, whos whole function is to contain mindless off-topic posts, even if it involves a whole threads full of smilies.

Complaining about it will not reduce the amount of smilies utalised, I am sure you release.

Also, just a question, I picked up on reading your post, does ''being literate'' only corrolate with being able to write English?

On this board yes. Though being able to read it, a feat quite a few regulars here lack, would be nice, too.

Also, it's "realize"...thought "release" amused me greatly.

chillmeistergen

No of course 'being literate' doesn't only apply to the English language. if there were posts in say French on this forum I would, of course, have included that in my example.

I know they are usually only in the off topic forum, but as this seems to be the most used section, it makes it all the more annoying.

LethalFemme

big grin

vintageSW77

ive never seen threads chock full of smileys but your not alone
ill admit im lazy with my grammar but i have never used a smiley
i find them a bit twee and annoying

lil bitchiness
No of course 'being literate' doesn't only apply to the English language. if there were posts in say French on this forum I would, of course, have included that in my example.

I know they are usually only in the off topic forum, but as this seems to be the most used section, it makes it all the more annoying.

Do you have a particular thread in mind?

Symmetric Chaos

I prefer to respond with something along the lines of: big grin

Rather than write out a six page description of happiness and my existential philosiphies on what that truly means.

chillmeistergen
Do you have a particular thread in mind?

Yeah -http://www.killermovies.com/forums/443710_1-so-here-it-is there's one of them.

Help
If someone with a low post count in anyway criticises another member or the forums themselves, they are immediately undermined due to their low post count.

No not really if you do something like make good threads, possess knowledge on a particular subject or make sigs.

I get undermined daily and i had an alright post count.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Help
No not really if you do something like make good threads, possess knowledge on a particular subject or make sigs.

I get undermined daily and i had an alright post count.

Well I possess knowledge on a particular subject, I try to make good threads and personally have no skill or interest in makings sigs, hats off to those who do though. However, I have on occasion been jipped off by those users who've been here longer and posted more.

Flame On!!
smile

rock

Shakyamunison

Get a life. Smilies are great.

Alpha Centauri

I agree for the most part.

If you can't get the point across without using emoticons, don't try anyway.

At least in serious debate threads. In the OTF I don't so much care.

-AC

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I agree for the most part.

If you can't get the point across without using emoticons, don't try anyway.

At least in serious debate threads. In the OTF I don't so much care.

-AC

Exactly. Though, to be honest I really don't see the point in OTF being flooded with them, I just can't see what their use or appeal is.

Symmetric Chaos
Exactly. Though, to be honest I really don't see the point in OTF being flooded with them, I just can't see what their use or appeal is.

Here's a test:

Eloquently express the following emoticons with text keeping to length to something that a person might bother reading:

mad

stick out tongue

smile

embarrasment

eek!

shifty

droolio

blushing

Bardock42
mad - You are a ****ing stupid moron, die you ****ing *****

stick out tongue - just kidding

smile - I am stupid

embarrasment - oops, sorry.

eek! - Wow, nice

shifty - Oh really. (context, obviously)

droolio - Sooooo hot

blushing - You really mean that? Thanks.

Flame On!!

smile - I am stupid

eek! - Wow, nice

droolio - Sooooo hot

smile

rock

troll?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Flame On!!
smile

rock

troll? Quite so, Whirly.

Symmetric Chaos

smile - I am stupid

eek! - Wow, nice

droolio - Sooooo hot

Good answers.

Quiero Mota

I prefer Spanish my self. English is monotone, blan and not exactly the nicest sounding language in the world.

Every single day, when I speak I'm 'illiterate" your definition of the word] about 50% percent of the time.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Here's a test:

Eloquently express the following emoticons with text keeping to length to something that a person might bother reading:

mad I'm mad.
stick out tongue I am sticking my tough out at you.

smile That made me smile.

embarrasment How embarrassing for me, or my bad.

eek! I'm scared.

shifty I think I just got away with something.

droolio You are so hot.

blushing Thank you so much.

Victor Von Doom

Symmetric Chaos

Mindship
Do you not enjoy a good rebus?

Victor Von Doom
thumb down

See how emoticons can work when used correctly.

Does it mean thumbs down?

Well, maybe we should make a word or phrase that mean 'thumbs down'. I'll think it over.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom

Well, maybe we should make a word or phrase that mean 'thumbs down'. I'll think it over.

Kay doped

(honestly though do you really care?)

Victor Von Doom
'bout what?

Bardock42

Haha...I get it...haha...cause "thumbs down" means "thumbs down"...that'S funny.

Symmetric Chaos
'bout what?

The idea of using emoticons for expression.

Victor Von Doom
The idea of using emoticons for expression. Couldn't care less. Apart from that ****ing drooly thing.

Symmetric Chaos
Couldn't care less. Apart from that ****ing drooly thing.

eek! yeah that can get irritating

I hate the smile and wink more than most of the other personally.

pcp
What the **** are you talking about?

botankus
I'm against Lord Urizhorndog's droolio smilie. Other than that, I don't care.

Lord Shadow Z
If you have to resort to using a little yellow face to express your emotions and feelings, then just don't bother, they're not worth knowing about.

You really feel strongly about this don't you...

Smilies are useful, if I read a funny post I'm not going write:

'Oh , that was so funny I'm laughing now'

I can just do this laughing

Victor Von Doom
Or just don't post anything.

'Hey, everyone, I laughed'.

King Nothing
Do you guys want this thread to be filled with smiles and such? Because to many, that's exactly what this thread is asking for.

Alliance

To more properly evaluate veteran status, observe both post # and date joined.

MightyEInherjar
laughing

FeceMan
/hug

Magee
blink See it is hard for me to show that I am blinking irl, so I just use that... Happy Dance

jaden101
this thread

shit

Alfheim

Please..get a grip.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Alfheim
Please..get a grip.

You get a grip mate, as soon as you post something that will make me change my mind i'll 'get a grip', knob.

Alfheim
You get a grip mate, as soon as you post something that will make me change my mind i'll 'get a grip', knob.

Your getting irritated by something that isn't important, calm down.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Alfheim
Your getting irritated by something that isn't important, calm down.

It's not important but it's annoying. Like someone tugging on your hair isn't important but it's most certainly annoying.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.