Left 4 Dead

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vinny Valentine
Supposedly a Zombie game while you're stuck in a city?

I know little about this game. Fill Me in.

vincent

Morridini
Info from Gamespot, copy-pasting for those of u who don't bother clicking links:

"You might not think about team-based online multiplayer going hand-in-hand with "survival horror" games--games like the Resident Evil series that give you only limited resources while pitting you against legions of horrible monsters, often in cramped confines. After all, classic survival horror games are usually single-player experiences because they're about your character being all alone in a hostile, zombie-filled world. But Turtle Rock Studios, a developer with credits that include Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and the Xbox version of Counter-Strike, is doing just that with Left 4 Dead. This new team-based game for the PC and Xbox 360 pits small teams of humans against "the infected," which are hordes of ordinary people transformed into mindless killing machines by a mysterious virus that has spread throughout the game's various environments. We sat down with Turtle Rock's Michael Booth to get the first details.

GameSpot: What exactly is Left 4 Dead? We understand that it has survival horror elements, but what else is there to the game? How would you describe it?

Michael Booth: Left 4 Dead is a cooperative survivor horror game where four survivors must work together to escape a city teeming with an overwhelming number of the infected. If you work together, you have a chance. If you run off on your own, you will die.

GS: What's the setting? Is it contemporary America, in the vein of something like Dead Rising? Or is this a postapocalyptic future we're talking about? What sort of environments will we see?

MB: Left 4 Dead is set contemporary America. Although we've pushed the fiction a bit for the sake of gameplay (such as including the "boss infected"wink, the basic idea of a catastrophic pandemic and the collapse of civilization makes for great survival horror because it is quite plausible. We wanted our environments to remind you of home--but a horribly changed and tortured version of home.

The initial four campaigns of Left 4 Dead include both urban areas and rural areas, with lots of dense architecture and challenging landscapes. Each campaign also ends with an elaborate "finale" where the survivors must make a stand while waiting for a rescue vehicle to arrive and take them to apparent safety.

GS: Who's who in the game? Who are the main characters, what are they trying to do, and what exactly are the infected?

MB: The four survivors include Bill, a Vietnam veteran with combat skills that have helped keep him alive; Louis, an assistant manager at a local retail electronics chain store; Zoey, the teenage daughter of a wealthy family; and Francis, who is big, loud, and rough, but always has your back.

Left 4 Dead will pit a small team of humans against rampaging killing machines.

Imagine that you live in a major city during a time when a new and highly virulent strain of the rabies virus emerges and begins spreading rapidly among the human population. Those infected become dangerously psychotic and attack all noninfected on sight. You are one of the lucky few who seem to be immune to the virus, but are trapped in a city teeming with thousands of extremely violent infected. Banding together with a few other survivors, you try to escape.

GS: It seems safe to say that Left 4 Dead is a class-based game, considering Turtle Rock's previous work on Counter-Strike: Source, and judging from the early graphic showing the four heroes, each carrying a different type of weapon. What are the classes in the game, and how do they complement one another?

MB: From the survivor standpoint, Left 4 Dead is a cooperative game in which success is based upon the skills of each member and the team's ability to work together as a unit. As such, the four survivors have the same weaponry available to them and begin with the same skills.

On the infected side, however, the characters available to human players (the boomer, smoker, hunter, and tank) have very specific skills.

GS: It sounds like infected characters play quite a bit differently from the humans. Will you be able to shoot guns, as well?

While survivors will use guns, the infected will have to rely on their other abilities to win.
MB: The experience of playing an infected is entirely different than that of being a survivor. The four "boss infected" classes have very unique abilities based on their particular virus-induced...mutations.

For example, the boomer can vomit blood on his victim, which attracts hordes of infected to this victim. The smoker, meanwhile, has a 50-foot tongue that can pull a survivor out of position or even leave them hanging.

But the infected cannot use items or fire weapons, and will die quickly if they blindly charge at the well-armed survivor group. That said, the infected are legion in number and when one dies, they spawn right back into the fray after a short time. The infected just keep coming.

As such, playing as an infected tends to be more of a "hide and seek" kind of thing. You want to position yourself to attack at the worst possible time for the survivors, lurking and stalking for a bit until you make your move. That is, unless you are the tank. Then you charge right in and cause massive chaos and mayhem--tossing cars into the air, smashing through concrete walls, that sort of thing.

GS: Is there going to be some kind of story, or is the game mainly a series of multiplayer battles, like Counter-Strike? We understand the game will also ship with four campaigns, each containing five maps. Is each campaign basically a chapter, or a collection of maps that share a same theme?

MB: The campaigns are a connected and evolving set of maps. Like CS, the design goal is to create interesting areas that will allow for extended replay value. Unlike CS, the maps in each campaign are connected and lead to an eventual finale that the survivors are challenged to reach and complete. And along the way, player stats are collected and displayed at given intervals.

The only "story" elements in the game are the differing goals of each campaign, which are all of the "survive-and-escape" variety.

This is an intentional design decision. We've kept the overall goal of the game simple, because the moment-to-moment gameplay is often hectic and mentally demanding. Trying to stay with your team, keep everyone alive, and keep moving toward the next checkpoint is often enough to keep track of.

GS: Multiplayer cooperative gameplay is a big feature of Left 4 Dead, but will you be able to play by yourself in some kind of single-player game? If so, in that case is it just your character solo, or will other members of your team be controlled by artificial intelligence?

MB: Left 4 Dead is built upon Turtle Rock Studios' next-generation AI technology. This lets us create a scalable game experience whether you play alone with AI-controlled survivors and infected, or online with and against human players.

GS: Could you go into detail about the multiplayer modes? It sounds like there's going to be cooperative gameplay against the AI, but also competitive gameplay, with one team playing as the humans and the other team playing as the infected.

MB: The game is designed to allow human players to drop in and out without adversely affecting the experience or requiring the scenario to restart. We have also taken steps to maintain the survivor's game experience even with the presence of human-controlled infected. Although the infected can "win" by killing all of the survivors before they reach the finale and escape, it doesn't feel like a traditional competitive game--it still feels very cooperative from the survivor side.

GS: What sort of weapons will be in the game? Are we talking about modern-day equipment mixed in with a few futuristic prototypes? And can we expect any kind of vehicular combat?

The game is scheduled for release on both the PC and the Xbox 360.
MB: For the initial release of Left 4 Dead, the game's arsenal consists of weaponry that you would be able to scavenge during such a catastrophe: handguns, hunting rifles, shotguns, even some homemade weaponry like pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails.

We are planning to continue to create and release new content for the game via Steam, much as we have done for the Counter-Strike franchise. Over time, we expect the inventory of items in Left 4 Dead to continue to grow.

GS: Finally, a PC version is scheduled for the first half of 2007, with an Xbox 360 version scheduled that winter. Can we expect both versions to be identical? And will the two versions be playable against one another?

MB: Left 4 Dead was explicitly designed as an online cooperative survivor horror experience. I've been quite impressed with the Xbox 360 and its Xbox Live interface. Our game will be a perfect fit for it.

Allowing the PC and Xbox 360 versions of Left 4 Dead to play together is something we're still investigating.

GS: Fair enough. Thanks, Michael. "

§P0oONY
Strikes me as a less interesting Resdent Evil.

Vinny Valentine

H. S. 6
Cooperative play sounds like it'd be a bundle of fun.

It's got my interest. Has a specific release date been given yet?

Morridini
Originally posted by H. S. 6
It's got my interest. Has a specific release date been given yet?

Nothing beyond Second Quarter of 2007, meaning April-June.

It doesn't sound like a game of Resident Evil quality, but the way they make the multiplayer part sound it makes me want to keep an eye out for it. I never cared much for CS, got too boring too fast, but now it seems like they have spent some more time then just throwing a bunch of people into a small map equipped with guns.

Vinny Valentine
Yeah, The whole "Go out on your own and die," things got me hooker to it. You actually might have to Think to play.

Morridini
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
You actually might have to Think to play.

Too bad for all the CS players who will get this game then.

In Fate's Hands
Originally posted by Morridini
Too bad for all the CS players who will get this game then.

Not if your a CS player who plays the zombie mods in it alot. Since if your on your own your dead np matter what, and the zombies there can kick the living shit out of a group of 10 people

EvilAngel
My Cousin told me about this, any thoughts.

I thought it looked pretty good

Left 4 Dead, Website

Left 4 Dead, Wiki

InnerRise
Duplicate Thread. smile

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Blax_Hydralisk
nani- *explodes*

SaTsuJiN
/bump~

a few friends and I are really looking forward to this game

Smasandian
I'm stoked about this game.

Looks alot of fun.

Some interesting math behind the scenes too.
Hopefull the game is not full price though because its strictly an MP (or is there an SP)

I also like how you can play as the zombie bosses also. It looks original and I'm assuming Valve's strict policy of not releasings its games until they're perfect works out on this game.

Neo Darkhalen

Supposedly a Zombie game while you're stuck in a city?

I know little about this game. Fill Me in.

vincent

I have heard about this.

SaTsuJiN
release date has been pushed back to august or something I've heard.. was originally supposed to be due february

Smasandian
Q2 2008.

I wouldnt be surprised if it came out in November.

Right now, I think they're prefecting the algorithims that push the release of Infected against the players and how the big zombie bosses are released also.

Read the PC Gamer feature on it, and it shows how if your one of the bosses, you can see where the Survivors are going to go next and stuff. Very interesting.

Morridini
Odd....

I can certainly not remember posting all those posts back up there....

Neo Darkhalen
Odd....

It happens every now and then.

Smasandian
Odd....

What?

SaTsuJiN
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31350.html

lookin' good

Morridini
Awww, cute Zombies.

This game looks kinda fun, just need to know how it is any different then any CS mod.

Smasandian
It's a bit more complex than a CS mod.

WrathfulDwarf
This game keeps getting interesting. I was watching Adam Sessler blog and he mentions the game will have great potential. I really hope so! Want to kill zombies again like in Dead Rising.

Might have to read more about it. Looking very interesting.

ragesRemorse
looks like any other fps to me.

Smasandian
Why?

I think its very interesting. Its completly co-op, compeletly random ecounters, and the idea that its very similiar to the Dead series with 28 Days Later mix in looks awesome. Also, you get to play as the 4 bosses against the 4 survivors.

SaTsuJiN
this game needs to come out nao.. -_-

Smasandian
Yep.

Hopefully the hype is right because all the journalists are saying this is really really fun.

I dont know why people are saying this is an ordinary FPS because its definitly not.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Smasandian
Why?

I think its very interesting. Its completly co-op, compeletly random ecounters, and the idea that its very similiar to the Dead series with 28 Days Later mix in looks awesome. Also, you get to play as the 4 bosses against the 4 survivors.

Random encounters always sounds great and maybe this game will pull it off.

Smasandian
I think it will.

From what I heard about from magazines is that the encounters are completly random and it plays up and down.

So basically, the zombies dont always attack and in the same numbers, so you never know if the attack will be a short one, or a large drawn out one and you never where its coming from, if there is those uber zombies coming, or what time they stop.

Also, you can get injured and then drop to the ground and pull our pistol for the last stand and if you keep them off before your power goes out, you might have a chance of surviving if the zombies stop coming.

Neo Darkhalen
Looks pretty good so far.

Morridini
Downloading the demo as I type this, will be very interesting.

Neo Darkhalen
My friend recorded footage of him playing the apartment area, looked really good as well.

BackFire
This game is ****ing awesome.

Nemesis X
The game does look awesome. I've been a fan of zombie games ever since I first played one (Resident Evil). The graphics, the weapons, and character designs look good but your teammates AI seems to be lacking.

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by BackFire
This game is ****ing awesome.

Playing it?

BackFire
The demo.

Vinny Valentine
The demo.

Oh, where is it?

BackFire
On xbox marketplace.

Vinny Valentine
On xbox marketplace.

Oh... Heading to that right now.

Zack Fair
When does this game come out?

Smasandian
Nov 18th.

Vinny Valentine
Wow. Cool Demo. Played online with some other guys, really fun.

Wei Phoenix
Wow. Cool Demo. Played online with some other guys, really fun.

Agreed, it was bad ass. Also that is a cool ass sig you got right there.

SaTsuJiN
I played the demo tonight.. and I was both pleasantly surprised and yet disappointed..

Surprised because of how many zombies rush at you at one time.. I was just awe struck...

but.. disappointed because of how arcade-y it is... unlimited ammo pistols.. melee is like god-mode.. and theres no real fear of the enemies

vandalworks
wasit just me that felt i was ice skating around the levels while walking about? feels like a typical pc game... didnt feel like my character had any weight.

Smasandian
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I played the demo tonight.. and I was both pleasantly surprised and yet disappointed..

Surprised because of how many zombies rush at you at one time.. I was just awe struck...

but.. disappointed because of how arcade-y it is... unlimited ammo pistols.. melee is like god-mode.. and theres no real fear of the enemies

I dont know, when 30 of them with a hunter are about to attack you, there was an "oh ****" moment in there.

I like its arcadey feel. Playing on hard with 3 other people was pretty hard. There were numerous times in the first two levels that I almost died, or needed health pretty bad. I think the difficulty is balanced for fun and a little fear, especially if there is a few more levels to that main level. Im thinking it gets harder.

Morridini
I barely got a chance to try the demo after announcing it had been released here, and my little try was ruined by a game-breaking bug. One of the first Zombies I met in the apartment was immortal, so I never got to proceed because my teammates stayed in that one room waiting for the immortal Zombie to die, which it never did...

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Agreed, it was bad ass. Also that is a cool ass sig you got right there.

Thanks. Check out my Sig thread in the Sig Forum for all my Sigs.

Neo Darkhalen

Perhaps because the Director did not feel you needed to be swarmed?

chithappens

There's no ****ing way you played on Expert. No way! That game is hard and the AI director always changes how the hordes attack.

No fear of the enemies my ass. They ALWAYS come from both sides on expert.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Perhaps because the Director did not feel you needed to be swarmed? well.. I kinda liked being swarmed.. what was stupid was that after I got swarmed and unable to move.. I just spun around and spammed melee to save myself.. worked every time

Originally posted by chithappens
There's no ****ing way you played on Expert. No way! That game is hard and the AI director always changes how the hordes attack.

No fear of the enemies my ass. They ALWAYS come from both sides on expert.

I dunno what difficulty the demo was on... but it really wasnt a good first impression, I can say that much

Smasandian
In real life, if swarmed by zombies, what you would do?

Ummm start hitting them with anything to get away??

The melee isnt very powerful. It takes numerous hits to kill the zombies. It allows you to get some room to shoot you. If they didnt have that, once you get swarmed, you might as well die.

Neo Darkhalen
Overall from the demo i give it an 8.5/B+

chithappens
well.. I kinda liked being swarmed.. what was stupid was that after I got swarmed and unable to move.. I just spun around and spammed melee to save myself.. worked every time

Again, not on Expert. Sigh, you are complaining about nothing basically.

Alpha Centauri
I played the demo today, and I don't think I've ever been as excited for a game as instantly as this.

Admittedly it has also come at the right time, because I want some more multiplayer games that are decent.

I don't get how people say it's not a game where you fear the enemies. It's arguably the most panic inducing game I've ever played. It does everything with limited lighting and claustrophobia that Doom 3 tried and failed to do.

-AC

Smasandian
I'm surprised that there wasnt any dickheads playing the demo. Everyone generally tried to work together.

That was one thing that can seriously **** this game up.

Neo Darkhalen
I'm surprised that there wasnt any dickheads playing the demo. Everyone generally tried to work together.

That was one thing that can seriously **** this game up.

One of the main reasons i was dreading getting it on 360, it was a nice change to have civil team players in a match.

Wei Phoenix

That was one thing that can seriously **** this game up. Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
One of the main reasons i was dreading getting it on 360, it was a nice change to have civil team players in a match.

You guys got lucky. I've been in one or two groups where one guy was a dick and attacked us. Also been in a group at the start menu where one hispanic guy claimed that he had the N-word guy. I should've cursed him out.

Smasandian
I played with my friends for the first time. It's much better with them than others.

We played on expert, and we couldnt finish the demo. Its ****ing tough. I really like the AI director though, its pretty intense. Every game was completely different and there was a few holy shit moments. One of them was in the apt's and we could hear the mob of zombies coming but we couldnt see where. What happens next literally made me say "oh shit", hundred of those bad boys came through the door. It was insane.

Anoter holy shit moment happened near the end. We finally made it just before the big room with the minigun, we're all low on health, well, I think 2 died and both of us had 15 or so health while it was dwindling. I start booking it near and a turn a corner and its the ****ing Tank. Obviously I died. It was too damn fun.

braveheart
the co-op is fun but it seems like its just a games version of resident evil extinction.

Smasandian
Not really.....

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by braveheart
the co-op is fun but it seems like its just a games version of resident evil extinction. Originally posted by Smasandian
Not really.....

moviebuff1084
I played the demo and loved it, and I went out to get the full game today. I have been a zombie fanatic ever since i saw Night of the Living Dead when i was really young, and this game does not disappoint. Its a great game to have fun with your friends or play by yourself.

Icy Ninja
This game kicks ass I've only beaten the first scenario so far and the ending was crazy got attacked by 3 tanks at different times one right at the very end, ran out of ammo for my main gun and only had 15 health left. I was the only one to survive but I had to play single player because I ran out of xbox live time

Smasandian
The game is ****ing nuts. Its soo fun.

Me and 3 other friends beat the second movie. It was quite funny. We finally waited for the boat, and I was on the other side of the house. I threw a pipe bomb to distract them but a tank just appeared.

The other 3 were near the boat. The tank flattened me and all I hear is, "screw him, get on the ****ing boat".

They left me to die. ****ers.

The credits are the best though. In memory......
This game will have so many moments, it will probably one of the best MP's in years. COD4 is great and all, but I never can remember a match. I will with this game.

Neo Darkhalen
I have to get this game, i think it'll be a strong contender for GOTY.

Smasandian
It will in some places, probably alot more indie publications.

But it will either be MGS4, Gears 2, or GTA4.
Havnt played MGS4, or Gears 2 but if GTA4 wins it over L4D......I dont know man.

ragesRemorse
I just received this game today and as soon as i put it in the 360 i got "unplayable disc". Now, every game says "unplayable disc". This will be the third time that an xbox 360 has taken a shit on me. If only Sony had fun games to play i wouldn't go through the hassle of getting this system repaired, yet again. What a piece of shit system.

Wei Phoenix
Some random n00b/troll on another forum posted this. It made me lol so hard. This is his topic recruiting members to do a L4D run with him.

ragesRemorse
Some random n00b/troll on another forum posted this. It made me lol so hard. This is his topic recruiting members to do a L4D run with him.

laughing laughing out loud

Neo Darkhalen

crylaugh

I hope someone breaks all those rules, i really do.

@stroFan
This game should be in the mail from Gamefly when I get home tonight, I cant wait to check it out. big grin

jaden101

laughing laughing laughing absolute gold

Mairuzu
lmao, first thing i'd do would be to shoot him with a shot gun

Wei Phoenix
This is what I replied with. I'm in italics. I'd give my overall performance a 7.

ragesRemorse
I'm having a lot of fun with this game but it's already getting old.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I'm having a lot of fun with this game but it's already getting old.

No don't say that. don't sway me from getting this game!

Quincy
This game kicks ass. I spent most of last night playing it with some friends, and holy shit is it addicting.

It's true, you will remember the fun matches. It really does play out like a movie. And what is really kickass in my opinion, is the random generation of zombies each time you replay. A tank may appear when you play one time, and the next, its 2 boomers and a hunter. Or a mass influx of zombies as your entire party is ambushed in the woods.

and what I thought was REALLY sweet, is that their aren't always propane tanks and gasoline in the same spot every time. It's the luck of the draw.

Smasandian
I played versus once and online with strangers.

I got TKed by the only member of my side, and then when I was died, two people showed up and he got them vote kick me. Its funny considering the guy who was running the game was a friend of mine.

It was strange considering when you vote kick, you only vote kick on that side, not the other side.

Kosta
Got it last night. Had a bit of a play in single player. Great fun, and the bot teammates are actually half intelligent. Can't wait to give it a go on line.

ragesRemorse
No don't say that. don't sway me from getting this game!

if you like playing online or with friends, dude, it's definitely worth picking up. wink

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kosta
Got it last night. Had a bit of a play in single player. Great fun, and the bot teammates are actually half intelligent. Can't wait to give it a go on line.

The bots are deadly. Even on hard, they're still pretty good. They have the moments of stupidity, but there easier to play with than most humans.

They're good because they are super quick in saving you if you get attacked by a smoker, or a hunter.

Peach
This game is certainly entertaining.

Kosta
Originally posted by Peach
This game is certainly entertaining.

I'm loving it! big grin

Got a chance to play on line last night and tonight.

Smasandian
Yep, it is entertaining.

Wei Phoenix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGoc-kSviC8

Yo man, even Eminem knows not to fvck with the witch.

Smasandian
Got the akimbo achievement. All four of us were trying to get it, its pretty hard killing a tank with a pistol.

Kosta
The more I play this game, the more I want to make babies with it.

Smasandian
Yeah,

I actually bought a mic for it because with friends, it just kills to have one.

Neo Darkhalen
It's much better i would imagine.

Nemesis X
The AI on your teammates is terrible. I haven't seen such terrible AI since Clive Barker's Jericho.

Smasandian
You kidding me?

The bots are awesome in this game. I dont know how many times I've been saved by the bots when I get attacked by a hunter.

Icy Ninja
Originally posted by Nemesis X
The AI on your teammates is terrible. I haven't seen such terrible AI since Clive Barker's Jericho. Wow I found the AI very intelligent I even try to compete against them in the who took least damage or killed most special infected. Hell they can save me quicker then my human friends when a hunter jumps on me or a smoker grabs me.

Smasandian
It depends on what level you play at.

If your playing at Easy, or Normal they are very good, but they get less good the harder you play.

Which would make sense. In the end, humans at the tougher levels are better, but the bots do help out alot when you get caught by the smoker.

Anyways, played versus with 8 guys who all knew each other and I must say, it was a blast. Our team was dominant. We beat each level and the 4 of us actually made it to the heli.

The other team was brutal with the special infected. We were waiting for the copter and they kept on attacking us one by one. They would widdle down our health bit by bit. It didnt work with the many health packs we had. All of us waited till the ladder sequence near the top of the roof. Two hunters attacked them and got them down and once the other guys helped out, biled them and then threw him off the roof. The left a person to die and then just finished them off. It was brilliant. There hasnt been a game where I laughed like a Bond villain.

Great ****ing game. The mic makes the game soo much better.

Icy Ninja
What difficulty do you play on? I play on normal found the hard difficulty a bit to hard when I played single player haven't tried with friends though.

Wei Phoenix
Who's down for a 8p vs match tomorrow?

Kosta
It depends on what level you play at.

If your playing at Easy, or Normal they are very good, but they get less good the harder you play.

Which would make sense. In the end, humans at the tougher levels are better, but the bots do help out alot when you get caught by the smoker.

Anyways, played versus with 8 guys who all knew each other and I must say, it was a blast. Our team was dominant. We beat each level and the 4 of us actually made it to the heli.

The other team was brutal with the special infected. We were waiting for the copter and they kept on attacking us one by one. They would widdle down our health bit by bit. It didnt work with the many health packs we had. All of us waited till the ladder sequence near the top of the roof. Two hunters attacked them and got them down and once the other guys helped out, biled them and then threw him off the roof. The left a person to die and then just finished them off. It was brilliant. There hasnt been a game where I laughed like a Bond villain.

Great ****ing game. The mic makes the game soo much better.

Indeed. I play with a couple friends. We always play on the same severs, and usually on the same team, all with mics. It really makes a difference when you actually play as a team and communicate throughout. I have found though that even when playing with randoms you don't get idiots like you do in games like CS that just grief people. Not nearly as much anyway. It's a really well balanced game. I play it way too muchthough. laughing out loud

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Nemesis X
The AI on your teammates is terrible. I haven't seen such terrible AI since Clive Barker's Jericho.

laughing out loud I wouldn't say the bots are that bad. They do get themselves dead fairly easy but i don't think they are any better or worse than what any other game offers in team AI.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kosta
Indeed. I play with a couple friends. We always play on the same severs, and usually on the same team, all with mics. It really makes a difference when you actually play as a team and communicate throughout. I have found though that even when playing with randoms you don't get idiots like you do in games like CS that just grief people. Not nearly as much anyway. It's a really well balanced game. I play it way too muchthough. laughing out loud

I played versus once online and it ****ing blew. Got TKed and then got kicked by others on my team when the Tker told them too.

I only play this game with friends.

Kosta
I played versus once online and it ****ing blew. Got TKed and then got kicked by others on my team when the Tker told them too.

I only play this game with friends.

I haven't encountered anything like this yet. I did get kicked instantly after joining one server, but I figured it was clanners practicing, so I just went to another server. I've encountered no where near as many trolls, greefers, and idiots as I do in CSS and CS.

The only downside for me so far is that only 2 of the 5 campaigns are available for VS mode on line. What gives, and how soon are they going to make more available? I also hear rumors of updates that will see the addition of new classes of zombies and such.

Neo Darkhalen
Apparently L4D is going to get quite a bit of DLC over the coming months, I don't know if that applies to both PC and consoles or just the PC version of the game.

Kosta
I'm pretty sure the consoles will be included in it to. Xbox live have been releasing quite a few updates, patches etc for their games lately. Or so I've heard. I don't own any consoles, I'm a PC gamer, have been for years. My friend owns a 360 though, and hes had a few games patched via Xbox live.

I really hope they incorporate a CS and CSS style server selection interface though. I'm getting sick of getting put in to American and Asian servers that lag like crazy cuz I'm playing from Aus. To be honest, I was surprised that the game used such a primitive method to assign a player to a server. erm

Smasandian
When I think about the 2 ones left out. Would they make good balanced versus matches?

Maybe, but I think it wouldn't.

Rumour is that there is a mall level coming. PC will get the DLC for free like usual, 360 will probalby get it, but for a fee.

I think one of the main reasons L4D has less asses than CS is because you will die if you become an ass.

Kosta
When I think about the 2 ones left out. Would they make good balanced versus matches?

I think they would. I don't see why not.

I think one of the main reasons L4D has less asses than CS is because you will die if you become an ass.

That was my original point though stick out tongue.

Mall level, eh? I'm looking forward to that one big grin.

Alpha Centauri
I don't enjoy games where you have to rely on people much.

Two player co-op is alright, simply because I always have at least one person who I know is decent to play with. I'm someone who isn't content with rushing through the levels, as people tend to be on L4D.

-AC

Smasandian
Well give them credit, the harder levels, if you don't rush through the levels, your pretty much dead.

Especially if you play Versus.

I only play this with friends and we usually play as a group.

ragesRemorse
I'm not much of a fan of the constant rushing either. It definitely adds to the gameplay and if you have a good team it is a lot of fun but i wish that one of the campaigns had a slower pace. I think it would add a lot to the game play if one of the campaigns forced you to take your time through some of the levels. By constantly running it is hard to take in the atmosphere. For it's first time up to bat though, Left 4 Dead achieves a lot but diversity is one thing it lacks. I'm not complaining but i would like to see a lot more in future content or sequels.

Smasandian
You will see more future content.

I for one dont mind there isnt more maps. The example everybody uses is that the most popular maps in CS are still De_Dust, De_Dust2. It's because its a well designed map.

There's 20 maps with 4 campaigns. I rather see those being awesome (which they are), rather than having 3 more that are not very good. Content is only good if its good quality.

It makes sense to me to go fast through the levels. Your fleeing a zombie attack. Would you stop and take in the scenery, or run? If you play on medium, you can check every nook or cranny if you want and usually be fine. But on harder modes, you have to move constantly.

BackFire
Just got this game for Xmas and I'm loving the shit out of it, it's like a wet dream.

I got it for the PC, so if anyone else has it and wants to play some through steam send me a PM.

ragesRemorse
lmao, take your time with it Backfire. I regret focusing so much time on this game, so early on. It is no longer a challenge, even on expert. Once you learn the games weaknesses and exploit them you will find yourself making it through Expert without even using a medipak.

I'm curious though, what are the mods like for the PC version? I've heard that with certain mods there are various other stages to play?

I'm not sure if it's genuine but i saw what is supposed to be the next map pack for this game. It is called dead by dawn and it is modeled after the mall in the Dawn of the Dead remake. Has anyone else seen that footage? I so hope thats legit because that...,well, that would just be the t1ts.

Ushgarak
Heed not the voice of pure cynicism, backfire. Play the crap out of it, the way you know you want to. Frankly, this is the sort of game you can only ruin for yourself voluntarily.

Menetnashté
This game is like pure epicness.

Vinny Valentine
My Steam id is Vinny Valentine, so please come play with me online.

Newjak
I enjoy this game a lot.

Nemesis X
Did anyone realise that the way the zombies run and attack are similar as the chimera (the ones that run in groups and scratches you) in Resistance 2?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Heed not the voice of pure cynicism, backfire. Play the crap out of it, the way you know you want to. Frankly, this is the sort of game you can only ruin for yourself voluntarily.

Cynicism? Assuming that you were referring to me i don't think my suggestion had any sense of cynicism. I was merely trying to suggest that, unlike other games, it might be beneficial to enjoy the game to it's fullest before exploiting the shortcuts and glitches. The game is solid and unless you burn yourself out it has long legs. The first few days of playing the game, dread and unfamiliarity offer a lot to the experience. Obviously, after playing a few times that sense of dread extinguishes. This isn't it to suggest that the game loses any appeal but that dread is a bonus that comes from a virgin experience. If you were to use the shortcuts, glitches and melee tactic there is a chance that you might miss out on that aspect.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't enjoy games where you have to rely on people much.

Two player co-op is alright, simply because I always have at least one person who I know is decent to play with. I'm someone who isn't content with rushing through the levels, as people tend to be on L4D.

-AC
Yeah it's hard finding decent people to play with you. I usually play with my friend so I'm not completely screwed, cuz in this game even if I'm amazing I'll suck if my teammates do.

§P0oONY

Ushgarak
Cynicism? Assuming that you were referring to me i don't think my suggestion had any sense of cynicism. I was merely trying to suggest that, unlike other games, it might be beneficial to enjoy the game to it's fullest before exploiting the shortcuts and glitches. The game is solid and unless you burn yourself out it has long legs. The first few days of playing the game, dread and unfamiliarity offer a lot to the experience. Obviously, after playing a few times that sense of dread extinguishes. This isn't it to suggest that the game loses any appeal but that dread is a bonus that comes from a virgin experience. If you were to use the shortcuts, glitches and melee tactic there is a chance that you might miss out on that aspect.

Well I stand by my accusation. And I feel you only have yourself to blame if you ended up making the game less enjoyable for yourself by using glitches.

BackFire

It's fine, I never use glitches or exploits, because any developer worth their salt will patch them out, like Valve.

Newjak

Smasandian
Favorite game of the year for me.

Not bored yet and I'll probably never be just because its always different and crazy shit happens all the time. Very similar to TF2 when it comes to crazy things.

Neo Darkhalen
Just started playing it today, really enjoyed the few matches i had.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well I stand by my accusation. And I feel you only have yourself to blame if you ended up making the game less enjoyable for yourself by using glitches.

Right on, I'm still having fun with the game. The gltiches don't take anything away from the game, if anything, they add to it. Perhaps, you misunderstood me, i became over saturated with the game because i over indulged. I wasn't blaming anyone or anything, so, good sir , there is no blame to be placed on anyone. My only criticism has only ever been a lack of diversity. Yes, this will be answered with future content, im sure but answer me this Ush. Was suggesting to the dude to pace himself really that bad of a god damn suggestion? I was merely giving the cat a suggestion and you singled me out and cast me into the barrel of nay- sayer's. I have to tell you, my feelings are hurt. I might have to tell my mom on you, Ush

starlock
Finally got this game......first off i hate first person games....but this game is just awesome....the panic..the rush...the elation that comes with surviving is just great!

Admiral Akbar
lmao, take your time with it Backfire. I regret focusing so much time on this game, so early on. It is no longer a challenge, even on expert. Once you learn the games weaknesses and exploit them you will find yourself making it through Expert without even using a medipak.

I'm curious though, what are the mods like for the PC version? I've heard that with certain mods there are various other stages to play?

I'm not sure if it's genuine but i saw what is supposed to be the next map pack for this game. It is called dead by dawn and it is modeled after the mall in the Dawn of the Dead remake. Has anyone else seen that footage? I so hope thats legit because that...,well, that would just be the t1ts.

then perhaps you should try Versus mode..lol

Admiral Akbar
my steam ID is DanShark. Add me!

ragesRemorse
It's fine, I never use glitches or exploits, because any developer worth their salt will patch them out, like Valve.

Either way, it's still the same game. Several of, if not most all of the cheats had to have been intentionally left in. You have this on Pc though, Can you play user created maps on pc?

Smasandian
Probably.

Just have to wait for people to create them. They already modded the game to allow people to play TF2 maps with Left 4 Dead.

Admiral Akbar
Probably.

Just have to wait for people to create them. They already modded the game to allow people to play TF2 maps with Left 4 Dead.

really? Do you know where I can find a server that has TF2 maps?

Vinny Valentine
Hmm

Smasandian
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
really? Do you know where I can find a server that has TF2 maps?

Dont know.

Sorry. It wasn't really anything big. Just somebody screwing around.

Wei Phoenix
Yeah I was the receiver of many gay glitches this week.

1. The enemy survivors break down the door on the sewer in no mercy instead of using the lift.

2. The enemy infected tried blocking us in with the forklift via hitting it many times.

3. The knocked a garbage dumpster or something over the manhole to the safe room so we couldn't get out.

4. They knocked some generator or something into the way of the elevator so we couldn't get out.

No Mercy used to be my favorite vs map but there are too many glitches and most people lack the skill to play with out it now.

ragesRemorse
My brother and i just got 49 of 50 Achievements on that game without using that pussy dashboard cheat. We only need barf bagged (barf on four survivors).

I can't stand those fukin multiplayer cheats. Unlike most of the single player cheats they don't add anything to the game, but thats just me. I'm sure Valve will patch these problems within a few months before they release the DLC.

Wei Phoenix
My brother and i just got 49 of 50 Achievements on that game without using that pussy dashboard cheat. We only need barf bagged (barf on four survivors).

I can't stand those fukin multiplayer cheats. Unlike most of the single player cheats they don't add anything to the game, but thats just me. I'm sure Valve will patch these problems within a few months before they release the DLC.

I hope so and I agree. The cheats add nothing but annoyance to the game. You don't even get bragging rights for winning. Also how in the hell did you get the jump shot achievement?! You lucky S.O.B.

Smasandian
Thats why I only play with friends.

Wei Phoenix
Thats why I only play with friends.

You're lucky to have 7 friends to play this online. Do you play on PC or 360?

ragesRemorse
I hope so and I agree. The cheats add nothing but annoyance to the game. You don't even get bragging rights for winning. Also how in the hell did you get the jump shot achievement?! You lucky S.O.B.

haha, honestly, i randomly acquired jump shot. I really don't think i even killed a hunter when it gave me the achievement. A lot of people i have played with said the same thing happened to them, they were randomly given the jumpshot achievement without killing a hunter. The only thing i can think of is that i was given the the achievement because someone on my team performed the action confused

The upset stomach achievement was the hardest for my brother and i to get. It took many beers laughing out loud

Wei Phoenix
well I need to randomly get that too then. God, I hope Valve fixes those glitches like give them a 10 second live time once moved because I know it would be hard/stupid for them to take out every single moveable object. Can they at least make them unmovable besides by a tank?

Smasandian
You're lucky to have 7 friends to play this online. Do you play on PC or 360?

PC.

Nah, I don't play versus that much. I dont usually play with all my friends at the same time. Sometimes somebody else gets invited from another guys friends list.

I dont mind playing with some bots either.

LilMimister006
This game is pretty much awesome. Though after playing through campaign a couple times, I'm starting to favor the versus mode. I love playing as the Hunter.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by LilMimister006
This game is pretty much awesome. Though after playing through campaign a couple times, I'm starting to favor the versus mode. I love playing as the Hunter.

Yeah Vs Mode is the way to go.

Neo Darkhalen
haha, honestly, i randomly acquired jump shot. I really don't think i even killed a hunter when it gave me the achievement. A lot of people i have played with said the same thing happened to them, they were randomly given the jumpshot achievement without killing a hunter. The only thing i can think of is that i was given the the achievement because someone on my team performed the action confused

The upset stomach achievement was the hardest for my brother and i to get. It took many beers laughing out loud

I have no idea how I get achievements on that game, I'm just playing a match and then they just pop up.

Yeah Vs Mode is the way to go.

I am more inclined towards Vs mode myself right now as well.

Smasandian
They achievements are kinda of cool in this game.

They actually teach you how to play the game. Dont know how to get hit by Boomer vomit, punch him away. I learned that from looking at the achievement.

Wei Phoenix
I heard there was a way to counter the generator glitch in NM. Throwing a pipe bomb or propane tank supposedly knocks it back. I haven't tried it yet but many people on gfaqs have said that today.

Smasandian
Supposedly an update was just released for the 360 to squash those glitches.

There will always be glitches in MP games. Just a sad fact of life.

Neo Darkhalen

We did indeed have an update.

Wei Phoenix

Nope just did the skip horde sequence on NM. supposedly the update made the smoker's smoke thicker and something else useless.

Nemesis X
Did anyone hear about Left 4 Dead being hacked a while back? People said there were huge players (by huge I mean Godzilla huge), and howlers popping up in safe rooms.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>