Contents of the bible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marcu
I was thinking the other day about people that are not believers of God and the bible as His written word. And I was wondering what then those people think the contents of the bible are/were. Do you that don't believe it is the written word of God believe that those writings were written when claimed? Do you think they were just "stories" written years ago? I am curious. Any thoughts?

Regret

TRH
Originally posted by marcu
I was thinking the other day about people that are not believers of God and the bible as His written word. And I was wondering what then those people think the contents of the bible are/were. Do you that don't believe it is the written word of God believe that those writings were written when claimed? Do you think they were just "stories" written years ago? I am curious. Any thoughts? Yes I believe a lot of whats in the bible are stories like the parting of the Red Sea which written evidence now suggests that they where helped across by a army of Arab fisherman from the Arabian peninsula who disliked Egypt.also science for the most part with evolution largely disproves biblical creation

marcu
Originally posted by TRH
Yes I believe a lot of whats in the bible are stories like the parting of the Red Sea which written evidence now suggests that they where helped across by a army of Arab fisherman from the Arabian peninsula who disliked Egypt.also science for the most part with evolution largely disproves biblical creation

Written evidence about being helped across by Arab fisherman? Could you tell me where I could read that?

H. S. 6
Much of the bible is metaphor. In a way, that makes many of the stories just "stories," but with moral overtones.

Shakyamunison
I was thinking the other day about people that are not believers of God and the bible as His written word. And I was wondering what then those people think the contents of the bible are/were. Do you that don't believe it is the written word of God believe that those writings were written when claimed? Do you think they were just "stories" written years ago? I am curious. Any thoughts?

The bible is a mix of history, stories and legal documents. Some parts of the bible are based on fact while others are fiction. The problem with the bible is modern interpretation, which is different then original intent. For example, Revaluations is a typical anti-Roman code book, but modern interpretation has distorted its true meaning to the point perversion.

TRH
Written evidence about being helped across by Arab fisherman? Could you tell me where I could read that? History Channel

Capt_Fantastic
The question was:

I was thinking the other day about people that are not believers of God and the bible as His written word. And I was wondering what then those people think the contents of the bible are/were.

You said:

Originally posted by Regret
(2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Which means he wasn't speaking to you.

Regret
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
The question was:

You said:

Which means he wasn't speaking to you. I addressed this, and also answered the question, or do you believe his question cannot be applied as I suggested to open the discussion to a more broad audience?

Capt_Fantastic
The question was:

I was thinking the other day about people that are not believers of God and the bible as His written word. And I was wondering what then those people think the contents of the bible are/were.

You said:

(2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Which means he wasn't speaking to you.

Robtard

Exactly, they were just "stories written long ago", maybe some of them had a truth at the core, but like any story that is told and re-told for generations, it gets changed and added to from the original. They're also a way of passing along knowledge and history and we're lucky to have them.

They were also written in a time when science all but didn't exist, so the best way to explain something like 'how did man come to exist' was "God made man from dirt", it's not that those people were stupid, they just did with the best they had at the time.

Alliance

Its so nice to know that you occasionally think that other people might have opinons.

I think the Bible is part social doctrine, part "history," but mostly fables/myths and thier associated moral lessons.

What do you think other holy texts are, if not written by god (the Qu'ran, for instance)

marcu
Originally posted by Alliance
Its so nice to know that you occasionally think that other people might have opinons.

I think the Bible is part social doctrine, part "history," but mostly fables/myths and thier associated moral lessons.

What do you think other holy texts are, if not written by god (the Qu'ran, for instance)

Huh, never thought about it! Oh my goodness! I don't know. I think I would need to know more about other writings such as the Qu'ran before I try to comment on it.

Excellent question Alliance! I will dig a little and get back to you.

(was your first scentence meant to be sarcastic or serious? I took it as serious....that ok?)

Lord Urizen

I beleive the Bible is just a collection of human experience and wisdom gathered through centuries of growth, learning, exposure to other myths and cultures, and biases from people in power.

IF the Bible was truly written by an infallible God, then there would be no contradictions, would there ?

On top of that, the Bible claims that God is not "the author of confusion", yet the Bible is the most confusing book to date (even the Quran is more clear, despite its being violent and sexist)

Boris
The bible is just a bunch of fiction, 90% is total bullshit.

Just like the Qur'an.

Regret
What do you think other holy texts are, if not written by god (the Qu'ran, for instance) Originally posted by marcu
Huh, never thought about it! Oh my goodness! I don't know. I think I would need to know more about other writings such as the Qu'ran before I try to comment on it.

Excellent question Alliance! I will dig a little and get back to you. Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
The question was:
You said:
I do believe in the Bible, but your question can be applied to any religious text.

Which means he wasn't speaking to you. Sorry Cap, Looks like the comment was valid even if he ignored it until Alliance stated the same thing.

marcu
Originally posted by Boris
The bible is just a bunch of fiction, 90% is total bullshit.

Just like the Qur'an.

Like, do you think that thousands of years ago people were scribbling songs and stories and such...and then found they were compiled to form what we know as the bible?

marcu
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
I beleive the Bible is just a collection of human experience and wisdom gathered through centuries of growth, learning, exposure to other myths and cultures, and biases from people in power.

IF the Bible was truly written by an infallible God, then there would be no contradictions, would there ?

On top of that, the Bible claims that God is not "the author of confusion", yet the Bible is the most confusing book to date (even the Quran is more clear, despite its being violent and sexist)

Is is contradictions...or our simple human minds that are unable to grasp the complexity of the words? Just wondering.

TRH
Contradictions

Boris
Like, do you think that thousands of years ago people were scribbling songs and stories and such...and then found they were compiled to form what we know as the bible?

Em... what?

marcu
Originally posted by TRH
Contradictions

Hmmm, I don't know about that one. I think it's more our simple minds. But that's just one opinion. I'm sure there are many. smile

Regret
Is it our simple human minds that are unable to grasp the complexity of the words? If such is the case, then the content is confusing. And given the quote from 1 Corinthians 14:33, it is not authored by God. Given this, it must be contradictory to itself or translated/scribed in error for it to be authored by God, at least from Urizen's position.

TRH
Hmmm, I don't know about that one. I think it's more our simple minds. But that's just one opinion. I'm sure there are many. smile our minds are not simple they are so far the pinnacle of evolution

Lord Urizen
Is is contradictions...or our simple human minds that are unable to grasp the complexity of the words? Just wondering.

Yes there are clear contradictions....first God made Adam and Eve at the same time, then he made Eve from Adam's rib to ease his loneliness....

Thou shalt not kill, yet God killed massive amounts of people during the Great Flood, Plagues, etc.

God is not the author of confusion, yet the Bible has confused beleivers and non beleivers alike for centuries....

This whole, "well our minds are not capable of truly comprehending the Bible" argument is total bullshit, because if that is the case, then Hell is not justified since we could not be blamed for not interpretting the Bible correctly.

The Bible has been editted by the Roman Catholic Church centuries ago, an assembly of the most influential people in Rome decided what to include and exclude.

There are plenty of other gospels and books that have not been included which were written by other prophets and important people in the development of Christianity and Judaism....do some research and realize that Human Beings wrote the Bible....

marcu
Yes there are clear contradictions....first God made Adam and Eve at the same time, then he made Eve from Adam's rib to ease his loneliness....

Thou shalt not kill, yet God killed massive amounts of people during the Great Flood, Plagues, etc.

God is not the author of confusion, yet the Bible has confused beleivers and non beleivers alike for centuries....

This whole, "well our minds are not capable of truly comprehending the Bible" argument is total bullshit, because if that is the case, then Hell is not justified since we could not be blamed for not interpretting the Bible correctly.

The Bible has been editted by the Roman Catholic Church centuries ago, an assembly of the most influential people in Rome decided what to include and exclude.

There are plenty of other gospels and books that have not been included which were written by other prophets and important people in the development of Christianity and Judaism....do some research and realize that Human Beings wrote the Bible....

I'm not really understanding the whole He made Adam and Eve and then Eve thing...please explain.

The bible hasn't really "confused" people so much as it has caused disagreements among people. It is very easy to take one single verse and have different interpretations on it.

I agree that things have been chosen to be included and excluded in the bible. But the reasons for exclusion of some don't bother me at all. I understand why they were excluded.

Lord Urizen
I'm not really understanding the whole He made Adam and Eve and then Eve thing...please explain.

If you read the Books of Genises, first it states that Adam and Eve were created together to be God's final creation. It says that God made the animals first, then created Adam and Eve in his image to be the dominant of all life on Earth. It states Adam and Eve were both born of clay.

Then a few chapters later (actually a few books later) in the chapters of Genesis, it states that God made Eve from Adam's rib, and that God made the animals after he made Adam and Eve, and ordered Adam to name each animal. It states that God made Eve from Adam's rib because he was lonely.

According to this version of Genesis, God made Eve for the sole purpose of stopping Adam from feeling lonely.

The bible hasn't really "confused" people so much as it has caused disagreements among people. It is very easy to take one single verse and have different interpretations on it.

Causing disagreements among people is confusion of truth. If God is not the author of confusion, then the Bible should be clear as day.

I agree that things have been chosen to be included and excluded in the bible. But the reasons for exclusion of some don't bother me at all. I understand why they were excluded.

You don't get my point....if the Bible is truly the word of God, then why would "some" words of God be excluded while others included ????

Does GOD MAKE MISTAKES ?

WHY ISNT ALL OF "GOD's WORDS" INCLUDED ?

Does God say something, and then go "oh never mind" roll eyes (sarcastic)

marcu
If you read the Books of Genises, first it states that Adam and Eve were created together to be God's final creation. It says that God made the animals first, then created Adam and Eve in his image to be the dominant of all life on Earth. It states Adam and Eve were both born of clay.

Then a few chapters later (actually a few books later) in the chapters of Genesis, it states that God made Eve from Adam's rib, and that God made the animals after he made Adam and Eve, and ordered Adam to name each animal. It states that God made Eve from Adam's rib because he was lonely.

According to this version of Genesis, God made Eve for the sole purpose of stopping Adam from feeling lonely.

Causing disagreements among people is confusion of truth. If God is not the author of confusion, then the Bible should be clear as day.

You don't get my point....if the Bible is truly the word of God, then why would "some" words of God be excluded while others included ????

Does GOD MAKE MISTAKES ?

WHY ISNT ALL OF "GOD's WORDS" INCLUDED ?

Does God say something, and then go "oh never mind" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Oh shit. I wish I new how to work the qoute features on here. Sorry for qouting the whole freakin thing. I think I'll go back and read Genesis tonight and give you my thoughts on that after I'm done. I really do suck at my bible reading so I hafta go back and read it. ok?

marcu
Oh, and all of God's Word isn't included cause humans made the decisions and humans can make stupid decisions. smile

Shakyamunison
Oh, and all of God's Word isn't included cause humans made the decisions and humans can make stupid decisions. smile

Where did you get the idea that the bible was the word of god?

marcu
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Where did you get the idea that the bible was the word of god?

How ya doing Shaky! smile

Well, whatever do you mean where did I get that idea? It is. smile

Don't give your old friend here a hard time shaky. stick out tongue

Shakyamunison

Don't give your old friend here a hard time shaky. stick out tongue

You are working with a premise that the bible is the word of god. Where did you get that information?

marcu
You are working with a premise that the bible is the word of god. Where did you get that information?

Faith.

Shaky, why you so snappy with me since I returned? Upset at me? Or am I reading into something that is not even there?

TRH

Don't give your old friend here a hard time shaky. stick out tongue you just say it is so it is?

Boris
Faith.

Shaky, why you so snappy with me since I returned? Upset at me? Or am I reading into something that is not even there?

Ahahahahah! That makes no sense whatsoever! You think the bible is the word of a non existant god because of faith?! WTF?! Open your eyes, the bible is a bunch of made up stories! Seriously, how can anyone be that stupid? Really... think for yourself!!!

Shakyamunison
Faith.

Sorry, but faith is not the correct answer. Faith is why you believe. Where did you get the information that the bible is the word of god? Is what I would like to know.

You are reading into what I'm writing. I have big smile on my face. big grin Right now I'm watching a TV show and posting during commercials.

marcu
Ahahahahah! That makes no sense whatsoever! You think the bible is the word of a non existant god because of faith?! WTF?! Open your eyes, the bible is a bunch of made up stories! Seriously, how can anyone be that stupid? Really... think for yourself!!!

Show some respect. Please. Once you've done that in response to me then I will respond to you.

marcu
Sorry, but faith is not the correct answer. Faith is why you believe. Where did you get the information that the bible is the word of god? Is what I would like to know.

You are reading into what I'm writing. I have big smile on my face. big grin Right now I'm watching a TV show and posting during commercials.

Again, another good question. Hm, I will have to think on that one as well. Where and why about the bible being God's word. Does the fact that it states IN the bible help my case? confused

I'll take it as a "no" and dive deeper. I'll get back to you oh smiley Shaky. smile

marcu
Lord Urizen,

Ok, I did some homework.

First of all I can't see where the first reference was made that they were BOTH made of clay. I use a more modern version of the bible, so that may be why.

However...the first reference to Him making male and female in Genesis 1:27 was because all of Genesis one is a "overview" of His work. Later in Chapter two He goes into greater detail of how Eve came to be. Notice that in Chapter one He made treees and such....then in Genesis 2 He says that when He made Adam there was no plants etc growing on earth? That's cause he hadn't sent rain yet.

If you could point me in the direction you see the reference to Adam and Eve both being made of clay in Genesis 1...that would be great. I just can't see it is all.

Alliance

Excellent question Alliance! I will dig a little and get back to you.

(was your first scentence meant to be sarcastic or serious? I took it as serious....that ok?)

I was being sarcastic, but omg if you haven't thought about it you certainly need too. I guess this sort of thing is something that I think about all the time as part of how do we reconcile a world of faiths that are all "right".

Shakyamunison

Alliance
thx but i areadie propozed it 31

Alfheim
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Much of the bible is metaphor. In a way, that makes many of the stories just "stories," but with moral overtones.

*ahem*

marcu
The starting point of my faith is not the bible though. I stem back in my mind and think of things in the world such as the miracle of birth or the complexity of the things around and in me.

I then conclude that the "big bang" theory or any other theories don't work for me....meaning that there must be a creator. I take that and look at the concept of there being a God and the collection of written work. In which case...if I believe in God...I believe in the bible. I believe through faith in God (faith because it is unseen with the naked eye) and therefore believe by faith in the bible.

Make sense?

Alfheim

I then conclude that the "big bang" theory or any other theories don't work for me.

I dont think they even prove that the earth was created like that....I think. The Big Band theory...is just a theory. It may or may not have happened.

Shakyamunison
The starting point of my faith is not the bible though. I stem back in my mind and think of things in the world such as the miracle of birth or the complexity of the things around and in me.

I then conclude that the "big bang" theory or any other theories don't work for me....meaning that there must be a creator. I take that and look at the concept of there being a God and the collection of written work. In which case...if I believe in God...I believe in the bible. I believe through faith in God (faith because it is unseen with the naked eye) and therefore believe by faith in the bible.

Make sense?

Why don't you believe in the Koran? Why the bible? I do have a point, just follow me.

marcu
Why don't you believe in the Koran? Why the bible? I do have a point, just follow me.

I'm trying Shaky. embarrasment

Wipe that smirk off your face... wink stick out tongue

(I am looking into a few things before I comment on the Koran. I know NOTHING about it really...I must be fair, which means I have to research a little.)

Shakyamunison

Boris
Show some respect. Please. Once you've done that in response to me then I will respond to you.

Sorry but what you believe in is wrong and does not deserve respect.

marcu
Yes, we often just believe what we are taught. However, I think I have done my "searching". Regardless of who taught me what. I was not a Christian till about 10 years ago. I am 32...

I did my soul seraching. I stepped back and took a look at what was around and in me. I concluded there to be truth behind God. I won't waiver from that. But, I am not oppposed to learning things. I am honestly interested in the thoughts of those who are not believers and what they figure the words of the bible to be..if not the words of God.

I shall not waiver...but I want to gain knowledge and insight from those different in thinking than mine.

marcu
Sorry but what you believe in is wrong and does not deserve respect.

confused

You know..if I came in here and showed that kind of dis-respect for peoples views on here, I would have no friends. Don't you like to get to know people? Regardless of their beliefs?

Shakyamunison
Yes, we often just believe what we are taught. However, I think I have done my "searching". Regardless of who taught me what. I was not a Christian till about 10 years ago. I am 32...

I did my soul seraching. I stepped back and took a look at what was around and in me. I concluded there to be truth behind God. I won't waiver from that. But, I am not oppposed to learning things. I am honestly interested in the thoughts of those who are not believers and what they figure the words of the bible to be..if not the words of God.

I shall not waiver...but I want to gain knowledge and insight from those different in thinking than mine.

Then the book I recommended would be good for you.

marcu
Then the book I recommended would be good for you.

Why do I have the feeling that whatever book YOU recommend ME will be way above my head? confused

Shakyamunison
Why do I have the feeling that whatever book YOU recommend ME will be way above my head? confused

I didn't ask you to read the Lotus sutra. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Power of Myth is an interview with Joseph Campbell.

Boris
confused

You know..if I came in here and showed that kind of dis-respect for peoples views on here, I would have no friends. Don't you like to get to know people? Regardless of their beliefs?

I certainly don't want to know anyone who is that brainwashed and cannot think for themselves as, no.. not at all.

marcu
I certainly don't want to know anyone who is that brainwashed and cannot think for themselves as, no.. not at all.

Ok then. No need for you to post in the thread then is there? If you change your mind, I'd be happy to here your thoughts and viewpoints. Oh, and I do think for myself, thank you muchly. I am not a baby, toddler or a teen. I am an adult, a mother, a wife. I have thought and come to conclusions on many things in my years here on earth. You may be closed minded in terms of hearing anything other than YOUR stand on things..but I am not.

Hope you change your mind. smile

TRH
Ok then. No need for you to post in the thread then is there? If you change your mind, I'd be happy to here your thoughts and viewpoints. Oh, and I do think for myself, thank you muchly. I am not a baby, toddler or a teen. I am an adult, a mother, a wife. I have thought and come to conclusions on many things in my years here on earth. You may be closed minded in terms of hearing anything other than YOUR stand on things..but I am not.

Hope you change your mind. smile how old are yur children

marcu
Well, I don't post ages or too much info on the internet. Let's such say I have three kids and me and the pappa will soon have to get out the bat to greet visitors at the door. ninja

Shakyamunison
Well, I don't post ages or too much info on the internet. Let's such say I have three kids and me and the pappa will soon have to get out the bat to greet visitors at the door. ninja

laughing I'm cancelling poker night. eek! laughing

TRH
Well, I don't post ages or too much info on the internet. Let's such say I have three kids and me and the pappa will soon have to get out the bat to greet visitors at the door. ninja oh yeah now all I have to do to find you is to go to every house in canada....this is gonna be easy

marcu
You guys. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
You guys. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Just put down the bat, obst_049.

marcu
Just put down the bat, obst_049.

confused What the heck is the meaning behind that banana? confused

Shakyamunison
confused What the heck is the meaning behind that banana? confused

_a Sometimes a banana is just a banana.

marcu
Ok then.

Now, getting back to the topic.

So, you peops are thinking that waaaaaay back when, there was people writing stories and songs etc...and when found...they just happen to reference each other and fit together so nicely? That some predicted things and other writings proved the original prediction correctly?

Edit: I am scared every time I hit the post button...LOL. you people freak me out. LOL.

Lord Urizen

Hope you change your mind. smile

You and my mother are alike then.

However, I beleive you are both wrong about your beleifs. That's all, doesn't mean I can't have respect for either of you.

Shakyamunison
Ok then.

Now, getting back to the topic.

So, you peops are thinking that waaaaaay back when, there was people writing stories and songs etc...and when found...they just happen to reference each other and fit together so nicely? That some predicted things and other writings proved the original prediction correctly?

Edit: I am scared every time I hit the post button...LOL. you people freak me out. LOL.

Do you know when the bible was constructed or put together?

See: Council of Nicea.

marcu
You and my mother are alike then.

However, I beleive you are both wrong about your beleifs. That's all, doesn't mean I can't have respect for either of you.

Thanks LU. Tis nice to be respected regardless of what I do and do not believe.

Be good to your momma...momma's are great, eh?

Lord Urizen
Thanks LU. Tis nice to be respected regardless of what I do and do not believe.

No problem

In United States, however, Christians are dominant, and it's rare when someone is disciminated against just for being Christian- or at least it does not compare to the other forms of discrimination that exist here.

Be good to your momma...momma's are great, eh?

I agree thumb up

I do not try to tell her that i do not agree with what she beleives. I am Buddhist, my mom is Christian. Her beleif in God gives her strength and takes away her worry.

I will NOT take that away from her.

I wish she wasn't so homophobic however.... sad

TRH
No problem

In United States, however, Christians are dominant, and it's rare when someone is disciminated against just for being Christian- or at least it does not compare to the other forms of discrimination that exist here.

I agree thumb up

I do not try to tell her that i do not agree with what she beleives. I am Buddhist, my mom is Christian. Her beleif in God gives her strength and takes away her worry.

I will NOT take that away from her.

I wish she wasn't so homophobic however.... sad Your Buddhist?

Cheers smile

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by TRH
Your Buddhist?

Cheers smile

Yes my freind smile

TRH
I plam to convert not before too long after I get my temperdown

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by TRH
I plam to convert not before too long after I get my temperdown

laughing

I'm thinking of Evangelizing Buddhism...what do you thnk? lol

Shakyamunison
laughing

I'm thinking of Evangelizing Buddhism...what do you thnk? lol

Over my dead body.runforhills

laughing

TRH
lol

Lord Urizen
Over my dead body.runforhills

laughing

laughing

I am going to set out to prove that JESUS WAS A BUDDHIST !

Shakyamunison
laughing

I am going to set out to prove that JESUS WAS A BUDDHIST !

Do some research and make a thread. wink

marcu
Glad you all are having fun in my thread. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm scared to post more of my questions though as you all are so darn smart. The questions fire back at me and I can't answer half of them. Take it easy on me will ya? embarrasment

Shakyamunison
Glad you all are having fun in my thread. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm scared to post more of my questions though as you all are so darn smart. The questions fire back at me and I can't answer half of them. Take it easy on me will ya? embarrasment

We have been very nice to you, relatively speaking. evil face

marcu
We have been very nice to you, relatively speaking. evil face

Did I say be nice to me? Or take it easy on me? I think the last one. But...be nice AND take it easy on me. How's that?

Yes, be nice too. Unless of course I am not nice to any of you folks. Which I am. Even though you are all a handful to deal with. LOL. stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
Did I say be nice to me? Or take it easy on me? I think the last one. But...be nice AND take it easy on me. How's that?

Yes, be nice too. Unless of course I am not nice to any of you folks. Which I am. Even though you are all a handful to deal with. LOL. stick out tongue

Don't cut yourself splitting hairs. stick out tongue

Alliance
Buddhism is more a fad in the US than a religion.

Shakyamunison
Buddhism is more a fad in the US than a religion.

Agreed. There are too many coffee house Buddhists.

Alliance
Or hormonal "I'm a Buddhist Buddhists."

When I'm in Thailand this summer, I will learn about Buddhism.

Nellinator
Oh, the wit. Mercy please.

Lord Urizen
I'm Buddhist big grin

Storm
I believe the texts are simply reflections of the specific culture in which they were written.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Or hormonal "I'm a Buddhist Buddhists."

When I'm in Thailand this summer, I will learn about Buddhism.

Just don't become one.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Just don't become one.

Why?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Evil thing Buddhism.

Shakyamunison
Evil thing Buddhism.

Evil thing Christianity.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Evil thing Christianity.

Evil thing man.

Shakyamunison
Evil thing man.

Well I could just insult your beliefs, but then that was really not a very fair thing to do, for which I'm sorry smile

Grand_Moff_Gav
Oh c'mon, surely you don't belive man is good!

Tis all idle banter you know that aswell as I do!

Devil King

Most people are good. For the most part anyway. I saw a television show about serial killers, and the doctor in it has made some interesting discoveries about their brain structure. In fact, the majority of them experienced some form of major head trauma in their childhood.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Here we go, lets absolve the responsibility...

Shakyamunison

Tis all idle banter you know that aswell as I do!

Our basic nature is enlightenment. In other words, we are all children of God.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Imago Dei...I can't believe I managed to use that twice in an hour outside Divinity!

Shakyamunison
Imago Dei...I can't believe I managed to use that twice in an hour outside Divinity!

confused

Grand_Moff_Gav
Agreed. There are too many coffee house Buddhists.

Too many Cafeteria Catholics.

confused
Just read the bloody book! stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
Too many Cafeteria Catholics.

Just read the bloody book! stick out tongue

What book?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Genesis, then you will see what I mean by Imago Dei, very similar to your enlightenment.

Shakyamunison
Genesis, then you will see what I mean by Imago Dei, very similar to your enlightenment.

I have read it; from cover to cover. But it has been 25 years, so I'm a little lost. What does the image of god have to do with enlightenment?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Do you not understand what it means to be in the Image of God?

Devil King
I have read it; from cover to cover. But it has been 25 years, so I'm a little lost. What does the image of god have to do with enlightenment?

We are made in his image.

Shakyamunison
Do you not understand what it means to be in the Image of God?

You are saying Buddhahood = God?

Devil King

Because we are made in the image of god, we have the potential to acheive anything.

Grand_Moff_Gav

No not atall, I am saying there is some compatibility there, Man is born enlightened, we are indeed, of God, spiritually and mentally...indeed, you could say Buddhahood = God.

After all one god, many faces.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Devil King
Because we are made in the image of god, we have the potential to acheive anything.

But he just said man is evil. wink

Devil King

That's what I was thinking.

Grand_Moff_Gav

While we are in the Image of God, we are flawed, thus I can be a hypocrite...besides you know I never meant that humans were evil. I dont recognise that concept.

Devil King
Here we go, lets absolve the responsibility...

That's not his goal at all. He's attempting to explain what set it off. As he pointed out, many many people experience head trauma, but very few go on to become serial killers.

Shakyamunison
While we are in the Image of God, we are flawed, thus I can be a hypocrite...besides you know I never meant that humans were evil. I dont recognise that concept.

God is also flawed. To be perfect is a big flaw.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Devil King
That's not his goal at all. He's attempting to explain what set it off. As he pointed out, many many people experience head trauma, but very few go on to become serial killers.

No, we all know where it will lead.

God is also flawed. To be perfect is a big flaw.

He is the source of evil.

Devil King
No, we all know where it will lead.

Why do you think that? His research in no way excuses their behavior. He's attempting to dechipher where it starts. Lots of people get in car accidents, but they don't become serial killers. Nor is he saying they shouldn't be able to control their impulses.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.