Are the Ten Gurus consider Saints or Prophets?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
While reading some Sikh traditions, I came across the ten gurus. I notice that some features of the gurus are similar to what we in the west consider "saints". They lived a monastic life and they also study and teach to people. Then as I continue to read I notice that it is claim they were sent by a "higher power". So, if they were send by let's say the "One God" to guide us...don't that also make them prophets? How were these Holy men selected?

Anyone wants to clarify or explain more about the Ten Gurus?

Regret
Mormons are open to the possibility of God speaking to other peoples:This does not mean the current interpretations of said "prophets" would be correct now, but I believe the majority of spiritual leaders have been inspired by God, if not literally spoken to in some manner.

The ten Guru's were the first ten leaders of the Sikh faith.

1 Nanak Dev August 20, 1507- September 22, 1539
2 Angad Dev September 7, 1539- March 29, 1552
3 Amar Das March 26, 1552- September 1, 1574
4 Ram Das September 1, 1574- September 1, 1581
5 Arjun Dev September 1, 1581- May 30, 1606
6 Har Gobind May 25, 1606- February 28, 1644
7 Har Rai March 3, 1644- October 6, 1661
8 Har Krishan October 6, 1661- March 30, 1664
9 Teg Bahadur March 20, 1665- November 11, 1675
10 Gobind Singh November 11, 1675- October 7, 1708

The Sikh view of God is somewhat similar to the Trinitarian view of God I believe, I'll have to check my texts on the Sikhs.

WrathfulDwarf
Great Info! I appreciate the research. smile

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Regret
Mormons are open to the possibility of God speaking to other peoples

How gracious of them.

Regret
From what I have, Sikhism is a bridge religion between Islam and Hinduism, some sort of amalgam of the two faiths. Islamic portions are fairly low in relative importance though. Guru Nanak originated the religion, and the religion strove to reconcile the differences between Hindus and Muslims.

Some of the Sikh beliefs:

There is only one God, True Name.

All faiths worship the one God, just with differing names given him. So, everyone worships True Name through varying monikers, if the word can be applied to names given by another.

It is thus wrong for any religion to have rivalry or strife with another, since they all worship the same deity.

The reconciliatory belief was held through Guru Arjun.

Arjun was imprisoned, tortured and mistreated by the Muslim ruler of the area of India where he lived. Before his death, he commanded his son to rule the Sikhs fully armed, to defend the faith. So, following this, the Sikhs would defend their right to believe as they would.

One day during a festival, Guru Gobind was in his tent. As the Celebration reached a high level of activity, Gobind came out of his tent and asked for a follower that would give his head for the religion. One came forward, Guru Gobind took him into the tent and came out with a bloody sword asking for another volunteer. This continued for five volunteers. After five volunteers, Guru Gobind opened the tent to reveal the five men alive with five decapitated goats. Gobind then named the five the first members of the Khalsa, "The Pure Ones".

The Khalsa are not allowed to worship any lesser incarnation of the True Name. The five were from different castes and as such the rights performed at the festival destroyed the caste system for Sikhs.

Rules for the Khalsa:

Baptism uses amrit stirred with a double-edged sword.
Wherever there are five members of the Khalsa there is the whole khalsa.
Kesh - Uncut hair and beard, symbolizing spirituality and respect for natural laws
Kangha - a comb, symbolizing control of mind and body
Kachh - short underwear, symbolizing that one is moral and controlled
Kara - steel bracelet, symbolizing the oneness of God and the unity of the individual with God and all mankind
Kirpan - a short dagger, symbolizing dignity, self-defense and the just use of power
No distinction between members based on social or economic factors
Must revere the Granth (Sikh holy book) and they must travel to Amritsar (an area in Northwest India) to dip in the Pool of Immortality surrounding the Golden Temple
must be prepared for war in defense of the faith
money must be honestly earned and a tithe must be given to worthy causes
Sikhs should not practice either Islam or Hinduism
All relatives of a member of the Khalsa are considered relatives of all Khalsa
No gambling, theft or use of tobacco or alcohol
No intermarriage with any that break the laws of the Khalsa
Greetings to be used upon meeting another member of the Khalsa: "The Khalsa is the Lord's" and "Victory is the Lord's"
Violation of the rules results in a need for repentance, a fine, a promise to not break the rule again, and re-baptism

Goal in life for the Sikh - to become one with God and escape the reincarnation cycle.

True Name is the eternal Guru, but the spokesmen of True Name are known as Gurus as well.

Meditation is the way to God.

There is what I gleaned from my texts in the past few hours, I probably won't do much more research given limited time available for such.

Regret
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
How gracious of them. You make it sound as though we indulge their claim, either that or you are merely mocking. We merely believe that God has made the attempt to speak to men in all reaches of the earth throughout history and not just to a select few Israelites and their descendants.

Capt_Fantastic
a select few Israelites and their descendants.

Do they get their own planets when they die too?

Regret
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Do they get their own planets when they die too? If you want to badger me about the LDS Faith the Mormons thread is more appropriate.

No one "gets their own planet" in LDS theology. In LDS theology Man is literal, biological, progeny of God. Man in LDS theology has the potential to become as God is, so all mankind has this potential. This potential is achieved through gaining in knowledge and experience. The only people for whom this potential is beyond their grasp are those who will continue to fight against Christ through eternity regardless of the evidence available upon Judgement Day, these God will be forced to separate from himself and his children, mankind.

Also, why do you keep quoting a small portion of my posts, a portion which really means nothing by itself?

"a select few Israelites and their descendants."

What did you mean by quoting only this portion?

Alliance
Unfortunately I know nothing of Sikh religion, save for the style of turbans they wear.

Capt_Fantastic
Also, why do you keep quoting a small portion of my posts,

Robtard
Originally posted by Alliance
Unfortunately I know nothing of Sikh religion, save for the style of turbans they wear.

The religion started sometime in the 1500's in Northern India, it's a loose mixture of Hinduism and Islam (One God etc.), it has 10 holy men (Gurus) as their "Enlightened" leaders and it's own holy scripture. Most Sikhs are in Punjab and the religion is closely linked to Punjabi culture and history.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.