Amazo vs Doomsday

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mindship
Okay...I'm pretty sure I did the Search function correctly (Advanced Search, Advanced Options, etc), and I was pretty darn sooprised that this (apparently) hasn't been done.

I thought of this reading the new Amazo Respect thread and was impressed with how he handled the JLA with the powers of 14 members.

It reminded me of how DoS Doomsday virtually cake-walked through his story's version of the JLA.

So: who takes this? 14-power Amazo versus...
1. DoS Doomsday
2. Most powerful version of Doomsday

(Off-the-cuff: I say Amazo wins #1, but Doomsday wins #2).

Galan007
Actually, Amazo beat 35 members of the JLA.

Once the reinforcements showed up (the 35), he began adding to the 14 powers he already had.

So Amazo had more than 14 powers.

But I'd give Amazo the edge in both battles.

horrorwolf
Amazo wins, just as powerful with more to his advantage.

Donkey Punch
Hunter Prey Doomsday stalemates him. He's basically the living Embodiment of Evolution. I bet hed eventually eveolve past AMAZO's ability to copy powers. smile

juggernaut66666
Originally posted by Donkey Punch
Hunter Prey Doomsday stalemates him. He's basically the living Embodiment of Evolution. I bet hed eventually eveolve past AMAZO's ability to copy powers. smile
huh
How can you evolve past something like that?

Blair Wind
Amazo wins

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by juggernaut66666
huh
How can you evolve past something like that?

Who knows ?

How does God lift a UN lift able mountain ? Logic doesn't really apply when you can bend the laws of Entropy. Just an IMO though. smile

dvampire
Amazo wins.

horrorwolf

Amazo copies power via dupicating cells at a subatomic level. There is no way to evolve past that ability. In addition Amazo has other abilities.

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by dvampire
Amazo wins.

Mate I've been having a look at the Superman respect thread recently, and you seem to know you're Stuff, a LOT. I was wondering if you solve his Energy Crisis problem mentioned in this thread ?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/445133_1-supermans-post-crisis-energy-crisis

I think it was you who mentioned that he taps into a separate unlimited source energy that isn't Solar energy. Do you have any scans supporting this. smile

Thanks. big grin

Symmetric Chaos
Amazo takes it both times.

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by horrorwolf
There is no way to evolve past that ability. In addition Amazo has other abilities.

Who to say there isn't. As it was stated through out Hunter prey and the Doomsday Annual, Doomsday was a force of Nature who had the power of evolution on his side. Just because AMAZO can copy his cells is there anyway to vouch that he would be a living embodiment of Evolution that works beyond the subatomic level IN COMICS. Just a theory though, please dont go mental at me, if you dont agree. And even if he does coppy it, the two will continue evolving until the end of time. Leading to a stalemate.
smile

Symmetric Chaos
Who to say there isn't. As it was stated through out Hunter prey and the Doomsday Annual, Doomsday was a force of Nature who had the power of evolution on his side. Just because AMAZO can copy his cells is there anyway to vouch that he would be a living embodiment of Evolution that works beyond the subatomic level IN COMICS. Just a theory though, please dont go mental at me, if you dont agree. And even if he does coppy it, the two will continue evolving until the end of time. Leading to a stalemate.
smile

Amazo starts off at a higher level.

What stops him from copying DD's evolution ability?

Endless Mike
Does Doomsday even have "bio - energy"?

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Amazo starts off at a higher level.

What stops him from copying DD's evolution ability?

If he copies the two will contiune evolving to counter each others abilities for the rest of eternity causing a Stalemate. smile

horrorwolf
smile

That was exactly my point. Comics or not, even if DD could evolve "beyond" Amazo in any way, How can you argue that Amazo couldnt match that evolution too. You cant.

wink

Donkey Punch
If he copies the two will contiune evolving to counter each others abilities for the rest of eternity causing a Stalemate. smile

And I'm not entirely sure he'll be able to copy his abilities as they may transcend reality. smile But thats just a theory of mine. smile

Donkey Punch
That was exactly my point. Comics or not, even if DD could evolve "beyond" Amazo in any way, How can you argue that Amazo couldnt match that evolution too.

wink

You're right = a Stalemate.

But i have a theory; that Doomsday's evolution powers may transcend reality preventing Amazo from being able to copy his abilities. But thats just a theory of mine.

Symmetric Chaos

I disagree.

Amazo starts off higher than DD is every area. He then copies DD's evolution ability. As fast as DD can evolve Amazo will always be two steps ahead.

Donkey Punch
I disagree.

Amazo starts off higher than DD is every area. He then copies DD's evolution ability. As fast as DD can evolve Amazo will always be two steps ahead.

Well i disagree, but I'd have to get 'philosophical on you to try and dissuade you, which i wont. wink

Utrigita
Amazo takes the first if this isn't a fight to the death then the takes it in both scenarios, Amazon will definetly be capable of defeating him the first time, no problems there but the second I am not sure, Isn't it said that when Doomsday have been killed once that being cannot kill him again? but of cause Amazon can always knock him out.

dawsey28
Mate I've been having a look at the Superman respect thread recently, and you seem to know you're Stuff, a LOT. I was wondering if you solve his Energy Crisis problem mentioned in this thread ?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/445133_1-supermans-post-crisis-energy-crisis

Thanks. big grin

Suspension of disbelief wink

Galan007
If he copies the two will contiune evolving to counter each others abilities for the rest of eternity causing a Stalemate. smile I disagree.

Amazo starts out at much greater levels then DD.

And IF DD proved to be any sort of challenge to him, Amazo would simply copy DD's every ability, (which includes his adaptive qualities).

This means Amazo will always be ahead of DD no matter what way you look at it.

Amazo wins both battles IMO.

juggernaut66666
Originally posted by Galan007
I disagree.

And IF DD proved to be any sort of challenge to him, Amazo would simply copy DD's every ability, (which includes his adaptive qualities).

Especially because Amazo would be able to control DD's adaptive powers not like DD who only uses it like a "reflex".

Galan007
Especially because Amazo would be able to control DD's adaptive powers not like DD who only uses it like a "reflex". This is true.

Donkey Punch
I disagree.

Its a case of Immovable object vs Unstoppable force. Especially when both characters are depicted at the height of their abilities. smile But thats just my opinion.

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by dawsey28
Suspension of disbelief wink

Sorry I dont understand. sad

Symmetric Chaos

He means it's a comic, it doesn't have to make sense, get over it.

Donkey Punch
Its a case of Immovable object vs Unstoppable force. Especially when both characters are depicted at the height of their abilities. smile But thats just my opinion.

Plus i have a theory; that Doomsday's evolution powers may transcend reality, preventing Amazo from being able to copy his abilities. smile

Donkey Punch
He means it's a comic, it doesn't have to make sense, get over it.

Thats a bit harsh. sad

Symmetric Chaos
Plus i have a theory; that Doomsday's evolution powers may transcend reality, preventing Amazo from being able to copy his abilities. smile

I'll say this in the most respectful way possible.

Thats a really stupid theory.

Donkey Punch
I'll say this in the most respectful way possible.

Thats a really stupid theory.

Why is it a Stupid theory ? smile

Symmetric Chaos
Why is it a Stupid theory ? smile

DD has never show the ability or even hinted at the ability to transend reality.

dawsey28

Dictionary.com

suspension of disbelief

Definition: a willingness to suspend one's critical faculties and believe the unbelievable; sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment

I promise that I wasn't trying to be a jerk, though.

Donkey Punch
DD has never show the ability or even hinted at the ability to transend reality.

Are you familiar with William Paley's concept of the pocket watch, my friend ? smile

Symmetric Chaos
Are you familiar with William Paley's concept of the pocket watch, my friend ? smile

I don't follow.

Donkey Punch
I don't follow.

Dont worry ill get to my point. smile

Are you familliar with Paleys arguement ?

Here's a link if you are not ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Paley

Symmetric Chaos
Dont worry ill get to my point. smile

Are you familliar with Paleys arguement ?

Here's a link if you are not ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Paley

OK so it seems to be an argument against evolution . . .

Donkey Punch
OK so it seems to be an argument against evolution . . .

No quite my friend, but I'm quite impressed you deciphered that much from that source. William Paley used the idea of evolution to prove the existence of God. He states that Evolution is Gods tool in developing the universe.

Next question, Do you believe that the Presence (God) created the D.C. universe ?

smile

Galan007
Why do people try to use concepts devoloped in the real world, to try and make an argument where comic books are concerned?

Symmetric Chaos
No quite my friend, but I'm quite impressed you deciphered that much from that source. William Paley used the idea of evolution to prove the existence of God. He states that Evolution is Gods tool in developing the universe.

Next question, Do you believe that the Presence (God) created the D.C. universe ?

smile

No. I am of the opinion that the Presence is the sum total of DC's reality.

Why do people try to use concepts devoloped in the real world, to try and make an argument where comic books are concerned?

I haven't the foggiest.

Donkey Punch

Because Comic writers do, for exampl this one is taken from the Christian Juedo perspective of God.

No. I am of the opinion that the Presence is the sum total of DC's reality.

smile

horrorwolf
smile

That was exactly my point. Comics or not, even if DD could evolve "beyond" Amazo in any way, How can you argue that Amazo couldnt match that evolution too.

wink

Donkey Punch

wink

I cant, but I do have a theory. See the last three pages to see what that is. smile

horrorwolf
Well look at it this way.

Both adapt.

Doomsday adaption is reactionary.
Amazo's is at will and everpresent.
As a result, Amazon has the advantage in a fight because any power advantages DD has will be absorbed by Amazo, and Amazo has others too that DD doesn't.

DD <<< Amazo. Amazo will always be a step ahead. DD can't level the playing ground. ever.

Add to that the intelligence/knowlege advantage of Amazo and this should be a wash.

Galan007
Because Comic writers do, for exampl this one is taken from the Christian Juedo perspective of God. I understand that comic writers do sometimes use real-world concepts/facts to base their material off of...

But comics in no way follow real-world laws.

This is why comics can't be broken down by "real-world theories"....... It just doesn't work that way.

Donkey Punch
I understand that comic writers do sometimes use real-world concepts/facts to base their material off of...

But comics in no way follow real-world laws.

This is why comics can't be broken down by "real-world theories"....... It just doesn't work that way.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit offensive but you seem like a bit of a Bigot saying this ....

'This is why comics can't be broken down by "real-world theories"....... It just doesn't work that way.'

Anyway, do you not think the presence had a role in the Evolution of the D.C. universe. smile

Galan007
I'm sorry if this sounds a bit offensive but you seem like a bit of a Bigot saying this ....

'This is why comics can't be broken down by "real-world theories"....... It just doesn't work that way.'

Anyway, do you not think the presence had a role in the Evolution of the D.C. universe. smile Bigot?

Because I say it's faulty logic to go by real-world concepts over what the character actually did on panel?

If I'm a "bigot" for that, then I'll take it as a compliment. smile

And which Presence are you talking about?

The one in comics, or the real-world "God"?

Donkey Punch
Bigot?

Because I say it's faulty logic to go by real-world concepts over what the character actually did on panel?

If I'm a "bigot" for that, then I'll take it as a compliment. smile

And which Presence are you talking about?

The one in comics, or the real-world "God"?

Well this is a comicbook forum. big grin

Galan007
Well this is a comicbook forum. big grin Exactly!

I had to ask though, because you just brought up ideas from the real-world, so I couldn't be sure. big grin

Donkey Punch
Exactly!

I had to ask though, because you just brought up ideas from the real-world, so I couldn't be sure. big grin

Anyway, do you not think the presence had a role in the Evolution of the D.C. universe. smile

Galan007
Anyway, do you not think the presence had a role in the Evolution of the D.C. universe. smile Since the Presence is supposed to be the sum total of ALL DC comics, just like TOAA is supposed to be the sum total of ALL Marvel comics....... Sure.

Donkey Punch
Since the Presence is supposed to be the sum total of ALL DC comics, just like TOAA is supposed to be the sum total of ALL Marvel comics....... Sure.

So you agree that evolution is a transecdual force ? smile

Galan007
So you agree that evolution is a transecdual force ? smile Meaning?

Donkey Punch
Meaning?

Meaning that Doomsday power exists beyond reality, and cannot be copied. As i said its just a theory, no one has to except it. smile

But i don't think its as stupid as someone stated earlier. Just because I'm well read and I apply logic to create a hypotenuse, doesn't mean I'm stupid. smile

Juntai
Are some people confusing JLA Amazo and JLU Amazo?

Galan007
Meaning that Doomsday power exists beyond reality, and cannot be copied. As i said its just a theory, no one has to except it. smile

But i don't think its as stupid as someone stated earlier. Just because I'm well read and I apply logic to create a hypotenuse, doesn't mean I'm stupid. smile If that were true for Doomsday, then it would most certainly be true for the New Gods Orion and Lightray..... But Amazo absorbed their abilities nonetheless.

Keep in mind we are debating comic book characters.

Even if a character can "transcend reality", (which I have never seen DD do), it doesn't necessarily make them immune to absorption in comics.

Again, it's not a stupid theory....... It's just a real-world theory.

Real-world concepts, and comic books seldom go hand in hand.

Galan007
Originally posted by Juntai
Are some people confusing JLA Amazo and JLU Amazo? I don't think anyone has used JLU Amazo's feats in place of JLA Amazo's feats.

Why do you ask?

Donkey Punch

Real-world concepts, and comic books seldom go hand in hand.

All concepts are derived from the real world in some shape or form. smile

Juntai
I don't think anyone has used JLU Amazo's feats in place of JLA Amazo's feats.

Why do you ask? Well, the reason he had the powers, was because the JLA had the members in it, and he had the powers of each of them.

Why would he suddenly be able to take DD's adaption power, when DD is not a member of the Justice League?

Donkey Punch
Well, the reason he had the powers, was because the JLA had the members in it, and he had the powers of each of them.

Why would he suddenly be able to take DD's adaption power, when DD is not a member of the Justice League?

So his body doesn't copy powers like the animated version does ? smile

That would explain why they where able to kill him during the Morisson run. smile

Galan007
All concepts are derived from the real world in some shape or form. smile Right,

But most of the real-world concepts used in comics are either completely warped, or go out the window completely, if they don't agree with the story at hand.

In the real-world laws that we know of, (e.g. creating life from nothingness) cannot be achieved.

In the comic world, these "laws" are non-existant, as numerous individuals can create life from nothingness.

TricksterPriest
Well, the reason he had the powers, was because the JLA had the members in it, and he had the powers of each of them.

Sneaky bastich..... laughing that is brilliant, and yes, it does raise a good question. Are we discarding that aspect of his powers as PIS or is an accepted fact for this version of Amazo?

Donkey Punch
Right,

But most of the real-world concepts used in comics are either completely warped, or go out the window completely, if they don't agree with the story at hand.

In the real-world laws that we know of, (e.g. creating life from nothingness) cannot be achieved.

In the comic world, these "laws" are non-existant, as numerous individuals can create life from nothingness.

I disagree, have you ever heard of Quantum theory before ? smile

Galan007

Why would he suddenly be able to take DD's adaption power, when DD is not a member of the Justice League? Are you saying that Amazo can only take on the attributes of people in the JLA?

Because I have seen him absorb the traits from normal beings who have nothing to do with the JLA.

The whole "humazo" incident was a result of him taking the souls and attributes of ordinary people, in an effort to "feel".

Juntai
Are you saying that Amazo can only take on the attributes of people in the JLA?

Because I have seen him absorb the traits from normal beings who have nothing to do with the JLA.

The whole "humamazo" incident was a result of him taking th souls and attributes of ordinary people, in an effort to "feel". The thread creator specified a version of Amazo.
The power of the 14 JLA members.

And different incarnations of Amazo are different.

Galan007
The thread creator specified a version of Amazo.
The power of the 14 JLA members. What leads you to think that version of Amazo could only copy the powers of the JLA?

Juntai
What leads you to think that version of Amazo could only copy the powers of the JLA? Because he went powerless when Superman disbanded the JLA.

Donkey Punch
What leads you to think that version of Amazo could only copy the powers of the JLA?

When Superman disbanded the JLA, their where no longer any members therefore it conflicted with his programming. smile

I have the issue, Junati is right ! I just didn't think it was this Amazo u where referring to ! smile

Galan007
Because he went powerless when Superman disbanded the JLA. I know that.

But again, why do you think Amazo could only absorb the JLA's power?

Donkey Punch
I know that.

But again, why do you think Amazo could only absorb the JLA's power?

Well why did he have no powers, when the JLA was disbanded, if he could absorb them anyway ? smile

See real world logic applied to a comic, it works doesn't it. smile

Galan007
Well why did he have no powers, when the JLA was disbanded, if he could absorb them anyway ? smile

See real world logic applied to a comic, it works doesn't it. smile That's not my question,

My question once again is....

What makes you think that Amazo could ONLY absorb the powers of the JLA members, and no others?

Symmetric Chaos
That's not my question,

My question once again is....

What makes you think that Amazo could ONLY absorb the powers of the JLA members, and no others?

Because in JLA 27 it didn't seem that he was absorbing powers it was that he had what ever powers the JLA had.

Galan007
But again, why does that mean he was incapable of absorbing any other powers? confused

Juntai
But again, why does that mean he was incapable of absorbing any other powers? confused Same reason Batman can't blow up the moon with eye beams.
He never showed the power.
He simply had whatever the JLA had.
And when the JLA was disbanded, the story was over.

If he was able to absorb outside of that influence, he would have still been OK right?

Symmetric Chaos
But again, why does that mean he was incapable of absorbing any other powers? confused

The logic being that he was limited by the members of the JLA to gain power since he should have been able to take the powers just from them even if they weren't JLA members.

They also make a big point of increasing the JLA in size.

Galan007
If he was able to absorb outside of that influence, he would have still been OK right? What outside influence was there besides the JLA?

Sure, we don't know if he could have absorbed anything else...... But a claim cannot be made that he was incapable of absorbing anything other then the JLA either.

Symmetric Chaos
What outside influence was there besides the JLA?

Sure, we don't know if he could have absorbed anything else...... But a claim cannot be made that he was incapable of absorbing anything other then the JLA either.

You're backing yourself into a logical fallacy sad

Its not possible to prove a negative. You have to provide evidence that the AMAZO from JLA27 can absorb any power he wants.

Batman-Prime
Same reason Batman can't blow up the moon with eye beams.
He never showed the power.
He simply had whatever the JLA had.
And when the JLA was disbanded, the story was over.

If he was able to absorb outside of that influence, he would have still been OK right?

In this case, DD hands down smile.

Oh, and I think that Amazo doesn't copy the powers at 100%, the amount of powers (or beings being copied) is what makes him faster then the flash, and he seems to be just slightly faster then Flash for example, though if he had 100% powers of all the members, like Flash, Superman, WW etc he should be at least 299% fater, he isn't, may be that he just gets 60% from the Flash, 60% from Superman, 60% from WW etc, so in the end he is still faster but not that much.

DD evolution power would be beyond this copy ability IMHO, and even if he could do it, DD would evolve after his death to the point where he would be able to beat Amazo, who in turn would be resurrected and evolved too, but can a machine evolve as much as a living being?

Galan007

Its not possible to prove a negative. You have to provide evidence that the AMAZO from JLA27 can absorb any power he wants. I never said he can did I? no

I simply said it's impossible to say that he could not have absorbed any other powers, because he never attempted to.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
Can a machine evolve as much as a living being?

AMAZO once made himself human.

Juntai
I never said he can did I? no

I simply said it's impossible to say that he could not have absorbed any other powers, because he never attempted to. But for the sake of the thread, he doesn't. He never showed the capacity to do so. He had the powers of the JLA, nothing more.

juggernaut66666
This just sounds too stupid so if Doomsday would be a JLA member he could copy his powers but since he is not he just can't copy it?

Symmetric Chaos

I simply said it's impossible to say that he could not have absorbed any other powers, because he never attempted to.

no expression

There were 35 people around him at the time. Why in gods name wouldn't he want those powers since they were about to beat him senseless?

Symmetric Chaos
This just sounds too stupid so if Doomsday would be a JLA member he could copy his powers but since he is not he just can't copy it?

This isn't AMAZO in general, who apparently can do that, this is the one from JLA#27 who lost all his powers the moment the JLA was disbanded.

starlock

Its not possible to prove a negative. You have to provide evidence that the AMAZO from JLA27 can absorb any power he wants. j

1-Amazo
2-Doomsday
I like this train of thought, the thread starter makes the rules,and i see no problem with that, i hate when certain characters are put in a situation that does not fall in their favor but hey it happens.

Whats with the quick jabs at New members? i think Donkey Punch has alot to contribute to the boards,in my mind i would not be a fair debator if i did not have an open mind,which can be swayed by logic and comon sense even real life logic,hey i even look to the roleplaying systems from each decade from both systems when i get the chance

Galan007
But for the sake of the thread, he doesn't. He never showed the capacity to do so. He had the powers of the JLA, nothing more. Fair enough...

But,

If this is the Amazo that did in fact beat 35 JLA members, he most certainly takes this.... Because when he beat the 35 members, he had more than 14 powers.

And even if Amazo couldn't absorb DD's power, (which is impossible to say), he could still end this battle in an exponential amount of ways.

Galan007
no expression

There were 35 people around him at the time. Why in gods name wouldn't he want those powers since they were about to beat him senseless? Umm, when the JLA backups showed up, Amazo DID start to absorb their powers...... (i.e. Firestorm and Black Lightning)

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by starlock
j

1-Amazo
2-Doomsday
I like this train of thought, the thread starter makes the rules,and i see no problem with that, i hate when certain characters are put in a situation that does not fall in their favor but hey it happens.

Whats with the quick jabs at New members? i think Donkey Punch has alot to contribute to the boards,in my mind i would not be a fair debator if i did not have an open mind,which can be swayed by logic and comon sense even real life logic,hey i even look to the roleplaying systems from each decade from both systems when i get the chance

Why did you quote me to say that?

Symmetric Chaos
Umm, when the JLA backups showed up, Amazo DID start to absorb their powers...... (i.e. Firestorm and Black Lightning)

As they arrived they stated that "Did you hear the news the JLA hust tripled in size".

He got their powers because they were drafted into the JLA.

Huntress also mentions that he's going to wake up with all the powers of the JLA but this is before the JLA a physically next to him

Galan007
As they arrived they stated that "Did you hear the news the JLA hust tripled in size".

He got their powers because they were drafted into the JLA. Laughable..

In any rate, it doesn't matter in this thread.

Amazo had more than 14 powers when he beat the 35 JLA'ers..

He still would beat DD, even if absorption wasn't allowed.

Symmetric Chaos
Laughable..

You're just mad 'cause you're losing stick out tongue

I agree the powers of 14 JLAers is enough to beat DD

Galan007
You're just mad 'cause you're losing stick out tongueThere's no proof that Amazo could not have absorbed those beings if they wouldn't have been in the JLA.

Just because they showed up to the fight as members, doesn't mean they couldn't have been previously absorbed.

stick out tongue

I agree the powers of 14 JLAers is enough to beat DD thumb up

Donkey Punch

So why the hell didn't he. Its seems a bit retarded that he lost for know reason, which is what you are implying. confused

Galan007
So why the hell didn't he. Its seems a bit retarded that he lost for know reason, which is what you are implying. confused Originally posted by Galan007
In any rate, it doesn't matter in this thread.

Amazo had more than 14 powers when he beat the 35 JLA'ers..

Symmetric Chaos
There's no proof that Amazo could not have absorbed those beings if they wouldn't have been in the JLA.

Just because they showed up to the fight as members, doesn't mean they couldn't have been previously absorbed.

stick out tongue

I have the upper hand this time (I found the issue) stick out tongue

Superman disbands the JLA and AMAZO falls down. The first statement on the next page is "Take away the fuel and the fire goes out".

The implication of the issue and evidence within the issue points to that version of AMAZO only being able to mimic JLAers

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by starlock

big grin big grin big grin

Cheers mate, I totally agree, and you seem like a clever guy. I think Galan has a point that you cant use the laws of the real world to justify ones arguments in comics, but he's taken it to an absolute extreme. You cant expect everything comics to be absolutely stated by the Author. It would make comics awe fully boring. There definitely some room for interpretation in comics. And what else do we have to base our interpretations other than real world logic ? smile

Galan007
I have the upper hand this time (I found the issue) stick out tongue

Superman disbands the JLA and AMAZO falls down. The first statement on the next page is "Take away the fuel and the fire goes out".

The implication of the issue and evidence within the issue points to that version of AMAZO only being able to mimic JLAers That statement wouldn't lead me to that conclusion...

Your saying that if DD would have been fighting in that very same battle, Amazo wouldn't have been able to absorb his power.... But the moment someone said "hey DD you're now part of the JLA", Amazo could have absorbed his powers then?

Absloutely ridiculous. Even if that's true, it's sickening. sick

Symmetric Chaos
big grin big grin big grin

Cheers mate, I totally agree, and you seem like a clever guy. I think Galan has a point that you cant use the laws of the real world to justify ones arguments in comics, but he's taken it to an absolute extreme. You cant expect everything comics to be absolutely stated by the Author. It would make comics awe fully boring. There definitely some room for interpretation in comics. And what else do we have to base our interpretations other than real world logic ? smile

There's nothing explicitly wrong with applying real world logic to comics but for it to have any validity you need evidence from in the comic to back it up.

Donkey Punch

Hunter Prey Doomsday survived onslaughts from beings far more powerful than the entire Justice League Roster. Wave-rider and the Guardians of the Universe could easily take the JLA. The only thing capable of killing Hunter Prey Doomsday was the end of the universe. smile

Galan007
I think Galan has a point that you cant use the laws of the real world to justify ones arguments in comics, but he's taken it to an absolute extreme.. What exactly have I taken to the "absolute extreme"? confused

You cant expect everything comics to be absolutely stated by the Author. When did I say it had to be?

I simply said that real-world concepts, more times than not, don't apply in comics.

Donkey Punch
There's nothing explicitly wrong with applying real world logic to comics but for it to have any validity you need evidence from in the comic to back it up.

There are points in Hunter prey when Doomsdays evolutionary powers defy all logic. thuis mayed me assume some greater force was at work. Sorry it was just a theory. smile

Symmetric Chaos
That statement wouldn't lead me to that conclusion...

Your saying that if DD would have been fighting in that very same battle, Amazo wouldn't have been able to absorb his power.... But the moment someone said "hey DD you're now part of the JLA", Amazo could have absorbed his powers then?

laughing out loud Thats the way I read the issue. So yes if somebody had been stupid enough to have drafed Doomsday or Darksied into the JLA it seems like AMAZO would have suddenly gained thier powers.

And yes it is sickening.

Donkey Punch
That statement wouldn't lead me to that conclusion...

Yes that is what he is saying, how else do you defeat a unbeatable character. And I think Morison is one of the greatest writers around, and he's created an absolutely plausible ending to good story. IMO its far better than the writing that suggests there are several levels of infinity, and that there are more than one omni verse, which definition are intrinsically wrong. smile

Galan007
Yes that is what he is saying, how else do you defeat a unbeatable character. And I think Morison is one of the greatest writers around, and he's created an absolutely plausible ending to good story.Morrison is a great writer, but the concept in that particular story = shit

IMO its far better than the writing that suggests there are several levels of infinity, and that there are more than one omni verse, which definition are intrinsically wrong. smile I'll agree with that for sure.

Donkey Punch
:

When did I say it had to be?

You wanted an on panel statement that showed AMAZO's inability to absorb non league members powers, and you weren't willing to accept the applicable logic that me, Januti and Symmetric where assuming. smile

Galan007
You wanted an on panel statement that showed AMAZO's inability to absorb non league members powers, and you weren't willing to accept the applicable logic that me, Januti and Symmetric where assuming. smile I did accept it, I simply replied with,

"it's impossible to say either way". smile

Donkey Punch

I'll agree with that for sure.

Really, i've heard a lot of people on here say otherwise. smile

masterbruce
If the Justice League had changed their name to Avengers, would Amazo have similarly been defeated?

Galan007
Originally posted by masterbruce
If the Justice League had changed their name to Avengers, would Amazo have similarly been defeated? According to the premise of that story......... Yes. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Galan007
Really, i've heard a lot of people on here say otherwise. smile The concept of more than 1 infinity has been established in Marvel comics, but that doesn't make it not ridiculous.

starlock
Sorry Symmetric Chaos, i was very impressed with your statment and i quoted you,then had a thought that i started typing, i appologize for not addressing it...oops

masterbruce
According to the premise of that story......... Yes. roll eyes (sarcastic)

whoever wrote that story and whoever okayed it for publication should both be fired.

They're insulting the intelligence of their readers.

Galan007
whoever wrote that story and whoever okayed it for publication should both be fired.

They're insulting the intelligence of their readers. I agree.

Donkey Punch
The concept of more than 1 infinity has been established in Marvel comics, but that doesn't make it not ridiculous.

The omniverse by definition ecompases all reality, real, fictional and transcendual. smile

Galan007
The omniverse by definition ecompases all reality, real, fictional and transcendual. smile I know this...

Yet both Marvel and DC have claimed to have their own Omniverse..

As I said before, the fact that it's been established, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Donkey Punch
I know this...

Yet both Marvel and DC have claimed to have their own Omniverse..

As I said before, the fact that it's been established, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

I heard Wolverine once defeated Hulk by DECAPITATING his balls off. smile

Galan007
I heard Wolverine once defeated Hulk by DECAPITATING his balls off. smile That's unfortunate. confused

Donkey Punch
That's unfortunate. confused

And Impossible by definition. But i suppose its still cannon smile

Juntai

They're insulting the intelligence of their readers. Mark Millar?

Galan007
And Impossible by definition. But i suppose its still cannon smile Like I've said a few times now..

Even things which have been established in comics can still be borderline retarded. smile

Symmetric Chaos
Like I've said a few times now..

Even things which have been established in comics can still be borderline retarded. smile

Thats part of what makes comics interesting.

Galan007
Thats part of what makes comics interesting. Well the more than one level of infinity concept DP is talking about, is just stupid IMO.

How can something be greater than infinity? laughing out loud

Donkey Punch
Thats part of what makes comics interesting.

I disagree. sad

smile

Donkey Punch
Mark Millar?

Im pretty sure it was Grant Morisson. smile

Symmetric Chaos
Well the more than one level of infinity concept DP is talking about, is just stupid IMO.

How can something be greater than infinity? laughing out loud

There are an infinite number of primes.
There are an infinite number of real number.

We still know that there are more real numbers than prime numbers,

Donkey Punch

We still know that there are more real numbers than prime numbers,

If you are talikng about the real world then you are very much mistaken my friend ! Galan is indeed right ! smile

Galan007

We still know that there are more real numbers than prime numbers, But neither of them would EVER end.

So is one set of numbers truly greater than the other? confused

Symmetric Chaos
But neither of them would EVER end.

Between any two point on the number line there are a greater number or real number (infact an infinite number of real number appear between any two point on the number line) than there are prime numbers.

Donkey Punch
But neither of them would EVER end.

No youre right. Infinity is not actually a physical number, its a concept that cannot exist. Its like suggesting that mutiplecation sign is numerically greater than the plus sign. smile

Galan007
Infinity = Infinity..

There's no such thing as infinity + 1 (where the real world is concerned).

Donkey Punch
Between any two point on the number line there are a greater number or real number (infact an infinite number of real number appear between any two point on the number line) than there are prime numbers.

Lines cannot be infinite by definition though, they are only potential infinites. Circles on the other hand are actual Infinites. Youre concept breaks down on a circle. smile

Galan007
Between any two point on the number line there are a greater number or real number (infact an infinite number of real number appear between any two point on the number line) than there are prime numbers. But thats the thing.

2 infinite things can't be greater then the other.

This infinity is not greater then, that infinity.

Symmetric Chaos
But thats the thing.

2 infinite things can't be greater then the other.

This infinity is not greater then, that infinity.

mhm What ev . . .

Galan007
mhm What ev . . . stick out tongue

Donkey Punch
mhm What ev . . .

Lines cannot be infinite by definition though, they are only potential infinites. Circles on the other hand are actual Infinites. Youre concept breaks down on a circle. smile

Juntai
Im pretty sure it was Grant Morisson. smile Nope. Millar.
Though Grant did most of 1 -50 or so.

Mindship
So............

Regarding the JLA's means of beating Amazo: Morrison's story ending is kinda cool, in a Twilight-Zone twist sorta way. But it can only work in that story's context. Taken outside it, it is ridiculous.

Assuming he could, regarding Amazo absorbing Doomsday's powers (and is Hunter/Prey the most powerful version? What about God Wars?): why couldn't Doomsday adapt to Amazo's power?

I mean: Doomsday is facing a being able to replicate some essence of an opponent, thus taking on the opponent's powers. This is the nature of Amazo's attack. Couldn't Doomsday evolve some kind of "bio-aura" against this, something which prevents Amazo from "reading" him, kind of how cable-TV signals can be coded against videotaping/playback? Then it's simply a matter of what Amazo already has in his arsenal, in this case, the powers of 14 JLA members. Is this enough to beat H/P DD? My impression: no.

bigbran
Doomsday knows Imperiex. smile

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by Mindship
So............

Regarding the JLA's means of beating Amazo: Morrison's story ending is kinda cool, in a Twilight-Zone twist sorta way. But it can only work in that story's context. Taken outside it, it is ridiculous.

Assuming he could, regarding Amazo absorbing Doomsday's powers (and is Hunter/Prey the most powerful version? What about God Wars?): why couldn't Doomsday adapt to Amazo's power?

I mean: Doomsday is facing a being able to replicate some essence of an opponent, thus taking on the opponent's powers. This is the nature of Amazo's attack. Couldn't Doomsday evolve some kind of "bio-aura" against this, something which prevents Amazo from "reading" him, kind of how cable-TV signals can be coded against videotaping/playback? Then it's simply a matter of what Amazo already has in his arsenal, in this case, the powers of 14 JLA members. Is this enough to beat H/P DD? My impression: no.

I totaly agree, you seem like a very clever guy Mister Mindsip. And dont forget Doomsdays cells are the origins of all Post Crisis Kryptonians, meaning Hunter Prey doomsday had the Bio electrical aura that Superman had. smile

Evil_Ash
Couldn't Doomsday evolve some kind of "bio-aura" against this, something which prevents Amazo from "reading" him, kind of how cable-TV signals can be coded against videotaping/playback?

Following KMC logic:

"Has he never done it before, then he can't do it" 313 dur

bigbran
Originally posted by Evil_Ash
Following KMC logic:

"Has he never done it before, then he can't do it" 313 dur Except Doomsday has shown the ability to adapt to almost anything...

Apocalypse has never even given us the feeling that he could ever go intangible...

Batman-Prime
AMAZO once made himself human.

Wouldn't THAT be devolving? Why didn't he made himself Metahuman stick out tongue ?

Soljer
Mathematically, and in the real world, one infinity CAN be larger than another.

The function y=x is unbounded, yes? The function y = x^10 is also unbounded, yes?

Evaluated at x = infinity, both are infinity, yes?

But when the two infinities are divided, you get zero. Go figure.

Galan007
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
Wouldn't THAT be devolving? Why didn't he made himself Metahuman stick out tongue ? He didn't "devolve" at all.

Amazo still absorbed the Metahuman qualities of said characters, but he simply wanted to "feel"...

So he found a way to steal the humanity/souls from beings.

Batman-Prime

They're insulting the intelligence of their readers.

Well, Amazo is an Robot, he follows an programm, or am I worng? Ethtical or not, he is bound to it, and if it's designed to copy only the powers of JLA members, well then I think this ending is good enough wink.

Mindship
Although this is off-topic, I feel compelled to interject my 2-cents worth on the side dish of "infinity"(and hell, this is my thread)...

Seems to me, most people tend to associate infinity with mathematics, especially some kind of linear quantity, eg, 1, 2, 3.... But this is 1 dimensional. Obviously, a "larger" infinity (say, 2D) might involve 1x1, 2x2, 3x3.... Then of course, you'd have 3D infinity (eg, 1x1x1, 2x2x2, 3x3x3...). And this can go on (4D infinity, 5D infinity), ad infinitum.

This is why when I refer to infinity in its grandest sense, I will use a qualifier, usually (following the examples above) Full-Dimensional Infinity or Absolute Infinity (which in some philosophical venues is redundant).

My only gripe with infinity is this: when people use the term "nearly infinite." IMO, that's just verbal fizz. Sounds impressive but it's really empty, void of any logical meaning.

Symmetric Chaos
Although this is off-topic, I feel compelled to interject my 2-cents worth on the side dish of "infinity"(and hell, this is my thread)...

Seems to me, most people tend to associate infinity with mathematics, especially some kind of linear quantity, eg, 1, 2, 3.... But this is 1 dimensional. Obviously, a "larger" infinity (say, 2D) might involve 1x1, 2x2, 3x3.... Then of course, you'd have 3D infinity (eg, 1x1x1, 2x2x2, 3x3x3...). And this can go on (4D infinity, 5D infinity), ad infinitum.

This is why when I refer to infinity in its grandest sense, I will use a qualifier, usually (following the examples above) Full-Dimensional Infinity or Absolute Infinity (which in some philosophical venues is redundant).

My only gripe with infinity is this: when people use the term "nearly infinite." IMO, that's just verbal fizz. Sounds impressive but it's really empty, void of any logical meaning.

So did you just prove my thing about multiple infinities?

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by Evil_Ash
Following KMC logic:

"Has he never done it before, then he can't do it" 313 dur

Its not that much of a leap of faith, when you consider he already has a Bio electrical aura providing him with much of his durability. Its already evolved beyond the Guardians and the Radiants energy attacks, and was able to counter Wave Riders chronal energy. I don't t think its that impossible. smile

Donkey Punch
So did you just prove my thing about multiple infinities?

No he's sating that there is no such thing. A linear line was you're example before. The problem is it will always have a beginning and and an end, therefore removing the infinity aspect from it. smile

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>