What's texas like?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

meep-meep
Here's the deal. My senorita has been offered a job as a union organizer in Texas. It looks like she might take it. The thing is she has asked me if I would move there with her. Now I'm not too crazy about Milwaukee (A city in Wisconsin), and my plan is to move South or out of the contry altogether as soon as I complete my masonry apprenticeship, but I don't know how I feel about Texas. So, here's my question to you: What have your experiences in Texas been like?

lord xyz
well, ive never been, but i here its not as stupid as you might think. they are polite and have good beef. but dont undewrstand sarcasm.

Oncewhite
Originally posted by meep-meep
Here's the deal. My senorita has been offered a job as a union organizer in Texas. It looks like she might take it. The thing is she has asked me if I would move there with her. Now I'm not too crazy about Milwaukee (A city in Wisconsin), and my plan is to move South or out of the contry altogether as soon as I complete my masonry apprenticeship, but I don't know how I feel about Texas. So, here's my question to you: What have your experiences in Texas been like?

I've been to Lubbuck Texas, home of Texas Tech University, if you visit Lubbock, there's a resturant called Einsteins that everyone goes to (like a college eat out)...other then that...it's ok

meep-meep
Hmm. Yeah I guess I expect it to be ok, but not my first choice to live. I should take a roadie down there an check it out myself sometime soon. Thanks for the replies..

meep-meep
Whoops. Double post.

meep-meep
one other thing is in Texas I'll more than likely be able to bike 90% of teh the year. Yay!

Shakyamunison
Hot and flat.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Hot and flat.
kinda like keira knightley?

Quiero Mota
Big, hot and full of Mexicans.

WrathfulDwarf
I love the Lone Star state (not as much as California..)

They have everything.

Dallas Cowboys.
BBQ
King of the Hill
Tex-Mex Cuisine (which is very delicious!)
Big Trucks
"Remenber the Alamo"
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Yup!

lord xyz
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
kinda like keira knightley? She's not that flat. ermm

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Big, hot and full of Mexicans.
laughing out loud this is true. and most of them are good swimmers laughing out loud

Dawson
Texas is a very diverse place. About where in Texas are we speaking?

Rogue Jedi
they never said.

Dawson
So I noticed. That's why I'm asking.

Rogue Jedi
i imagine central texas.

Dawson
It's a big place. What's technically considered central Texas or someone else's definition of central Texas? I would consider central Texas between Austin and Waco.

lord xyz
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I love the Lone Star state (not as much as California..)

They have everything.

Dallas Cowboys.
BBQ
King of the Hill
Tex-Mex Cuisine (which is very delicious!)
Big Trucks
"Remenber the Alamo"
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Yup! I don't think they're proud of King Of The Hill. laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
the cowboys suck.

Quiero Mota
Not as bad as the Cardinals.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Dawson
Texas is a very diverse place. About where in Texas are we speaking?

She hasn't been told yet, because I guess there are a few different cities in Texas that are in need of labor union organizers but it appears it'll be either Austin or Dallas. As for right now she's not entirely sure, she's supposed to go there for 2 weeks as sort of a trial period and get more details then. Depending how that goes she will either move there and work for the union or stay in hell aka wisconsin.

Dawson
I've been to Austin and lived in Dallas. Both are nice places, but I do know a lot more about Dallas than I do about Austin.

Their weather is very similar despite their being about 200 miles apart. In general, it's very hot during the summer with little to no humidity, and it does snow during the winter, or, at least, it gets cold enough for it to do so. Summer and spring thunderstorms are fairly frequent and tend to appear with little warning, save that of meteorologists ("If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait ten minutes."wink, but they're often short lived. Dallas is located in Tornado Alley, and Austin's been known to get its fair share of them as well; it's not as bad as you might think, though.

Geographically, they're both very flat, and I swear the sky seems closer. Both are highly populated cities with toll roads and traffic, but it's really not that awful.

As far as things to do are concerned, there are two Six Flags in Texas: one in San Antonio and one in Arlington, a suburb of Dallas, and Schlitterbahn, "America's #1 Waterpark," is in New Braunfels, close enough for a day trip from Austin.

When someone says Dallas, they generally mean Dallas/Fort Worth, or the Dallas metro area, which is rather large. This area has lots of toll roads (notable is George Bush Turnpike), and though you can easily get around without them, it is often much slower to go this way.

AngryManatee
I live in Austin. It's pretty kick ass. You gotta check out Barton Springs, Kerbey Lane, the music scene, etc. People are generally really nice too.

Rogue Jedi
i heard its a kickass town.

crickey77
LOVE TEXAS!! Great food and great weather and really nice people!

meep-meep
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

As for tornado alley...well, yeah that blows, (bad-um-ching).... no pun intended, of course.

Rogue Jedi
the food is good. a little too damn good.

Dawson
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

As for tornado alley...well, yeah that blows, (bad-um-ching).... no pun intended, of course.

In the eight years I lived in Dallas, I think we had one serious tornado warning near where I lived. It's not bad, really.

Food. Texas. So good.

Capt_Fantastic
What's texas like?

There's a lot of clearing of brush and wearing a cowboy hat, that's what it's like in Texas.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
There's a lot of clearing of brush and wearing a cowboy hat, that's what it's like in Texas.
stereotype. BTW: you forgot the fact that we all own oil wells and drive pickup trucks.

Commando Queen
anywhere's better than wisconsin, i can't wait to get out

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
stereotype. BTW: you forgot the fact that we all own oil wells and drive pickup trucks.

And belt buckles, don't forget the belt buckles.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
And belt buckles, don't forget the belt buckles.

And don't forget all the folks that dip (aka chew tobacco).

meep-meep
Originally posted by Commando Queen
anywhere's better than wisconsin, i can't wait to get out

haha. From Wiscy too I see.

You know it's really not that bad, except for the winter months and mark belling.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Dawson
In the eight years I lived in Dallas, I think we had one serious tornado warning near where I lived. It's not bad, really.

Food. Texas. So good.

hmm. Well that's not bad. Besides if you listen to the news and know how to spot em in the sky you should have plenty time to seek shelter, right?

Dawson
hmm. Well that's not bad. Besides if you listen to the news and know how to spot em in the sky you should have plenty time to seek shelter, right?

Yeah. The sky turns kind of a sulfer yellow/green color often times. We always just went into a closet or bathroom without windows.

Commando Queen
haha. From Wiscy too I see.

You know it's really not that bad, except for the winter months and mark belling.

right now it feels like winter i woke up and there was a dusting of snow on the ground the other day, thats insain!

well i think a lot of me not likeing Wisconsin is being in the town i am in, smallish town, and half the people here have their head's up there asses. and i'm being nice.. lol

debbiejo
GREAT BIG BUGS!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.