Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ESB -1138
That's right after all these years Mario and Sonic are in the same game! Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games!!! The game will come out fall 2007 for the Wii and DS. Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Tails, Yoshi, and Knuckles have been confirmed to be playable characters.

Nothing else is known yet.

grey fox
Fake

General Kaliero
Originally posted by grey fox
Fake

Yeah, because the professional renders of the two, in mirrored poses, in the same graphics engine obviously mean someone just shopped two unrelated things into one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

General G
Originally posted by grey fox
Fake

Looks real to me ermm

SaTsuJiN
lol.. does any other site or resource confirm this claim?

Blaxican
http://www.sega.com/gamesite/marioandsonic/index.php

http://wii.gamezone.com/news/03_28_07_09_15AM.htm

Grey Fox fails. Hard.

EDIT: I added more. Now he fails even harder...

Lana
There were two links to articles about it posted on an LJ community I go on...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26301/Sega-announces-Mario--Sonic-game
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74665

InnerRise
This game is actually being made and is supposed to be out by the end of the year.

It is not fake people.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Silverstein
it IS real, i just saw this on X play AND attack of the show, but it looks like an effin gay game anyways so lol

Barker
I don't think that Title can possibly get any worse/stupid.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Silverstein
it IS real, i just saw this on X play AND attack of the show, but it looks like an effin gay game anyways so lol X-Play??????

I don't think so.

Blaxican
And what is wrong with X-Play?

grey fox
Originally posted by Blaxican
http://www.sega.com/gamesite/marioandsonic/index.php

http://wii.gamezone.com/news/03_28_07_09_15AM.htm

Grey Fox fails. Hard.

EDIT: I added more. Now he fails even harder...

Oh well i'm certainly sorry that two well known rival characters get placed together (AS they have before) with some shitty title and similar render. Far be it from me to guess it could be fake , you know LIKE they have been before.

InnerRise
And what is wrong with X-Play? Nothing.

But X-Play didn't mention this game.

They actually review games.........that actually have some type of footage available to show and something they can actually play........

Did you know that?

Blaxican
Yep, I love X-Play, watch it all the time.

And Fox I was joking, I hope you realized that...

InnerRise
Yep, I love X-Play, watch it all the time.

And Fox I was joking, I hope you realized that... Well did you watch it tonight because they did not talk about this game.

Tekno Boy
Originally posted by InnerRise
This game is actually being made and is supposed to be out by the end of the year.

But before that, Super Smash Bros Melee

InnerRise
Originally posted by Tekno Boy
But before that, Super Smash Bros Melee Of course.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

ESB -1138
Hey Miyamoto is suppose to be overlooking the game and name a bad game Miyamoto was in charge in.

Silverstein
nothing wrong with X-Play i just thought they mentioned Sonic and Mario Olympics...

ragesRemorse
who gives a shit about sonic anymore? How can this franhise still be able to release games after two straight failing titles. I loath sonic, but enjoyed the sonic for dreamcast. This is why i rented the new sonic game, hoping for a similar expereince. All i got was some of the most redundant unfinished game platforming with an aggrivating camera system.

MadMel
er...which one are you talking about???
wii or 360 version?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by MadMel
er...which one are you talking about???
wii or 360 version?

both. wii was the same game with a silly gimmick. Im not a fan of the wii so dont take offense to that like everyone else does. the 360 was barely a video game

MadMel
eh, at least your not going
ps3ps3ps3ps3ps3ps3ps3
ORGAMASMICNESS!!!!!!
wiishpeeshashit bsaLflkzsfgbjksegb!~!12
like some other people who i was unfortunate enough to know
they were all banned of course big grin

ragesRemorse
eh, at least your not going
ps3ps3ps3ps3ps3ps3ps3
ORGAMASMICNESS!!!!!!
wiishpeeshashit bsaLflkzsfgbjksegb!~!12
like some other people who i was unfortunate enough to know
they were all banned of course big grin

yeah, i try not to get to attached to any system. Im not a fan of systems, im a fan of fun games. Thats why i cant understand wii. the games have absolutely no appeal to me what soever. Ps3 has no funner games than 360, which is why i side with 360 for now. they have the funest games for me, even if that list is 4 games long

Tekno Boy
Sorry, not Melee, Brawl

InnerRise
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
yeah, i try not to get to attached to any system. Im not a fan of systems, im a fan of fun games. Thats why i cant understand wii. the games have absolutely no appeal to me what soever. Ps3 has no funner games than 360, which is why i side with 360 for now. they have the funest games for me, even if that list is 4 games long Kind of Contradicting huh? erm

Originally posted by Tekno Boy
Sorry, not Melee, Brawl
yes

ESB -1138
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
both. wii was the same game with a silly gimmick.

The Wii version was a different game all together. It wasn't just some ported over game.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by ESB -1138
The Wii version was a different game all together. It wasn't just some ported over game.

It still felt like a half hearted attempt

ragesRemorse
Kind of Contradicting huh? erm

how so? you may be right, just not sure how

InnerRise
You say you don't side with any one console but then you go comparing them based on their games and you choose Xbox360.

No big deal, just an observation.

Nothing wrong with liking any system more than another. To each his own.

MadMel
yes

AstroFan
This reminds me of those crappy SNES games like Mario is Missing. lol

Silverstein
i would like to see them make Sonic: The Hedgehog, back on a 2d plane with like 3d characters and stuff...like viewtiful joe but not shitty. see how it would be

General Kaliero
i would like to see them make Sonic: The Hedgehog, back on a 2d plane with like 3d characters and stuff...like viewtiful joe but not shitty. see how it would be

It's been done. Sonic Rush, on the DS. Three years old, and still the best Sonic game in years.

Silverstein
Originally posted by General Kaliero
It's been done. Sonic Rush, on the DS. Three years old, and still the best Sonic game in years.

yah but that looked like a budget title sonic, it was like 19 bucks lol, need one for console maybe...

((The_Anomaly))
The Wii Sonic was the best Sonic since Sonic and Knuckels on the Genisis IMO.

Anyways, if they make this like a "Wii Sports 2" only with Sonic and Mario rather then Mii's then I might look into getting it. But I'm not a fan of sports games at all so I'm not sure. Needless to say pretty crazy Mario and Sonic are gonna be in the same game, 10 years ago people would have called blasphemy if someone said these two would be in the same game.

Silverstein
reviews said both wii and ps3/xb360 Sonic sucked balls...

((The_Anomaly))

No they didnt. Gamerankings has Wii Sonic at a 71% compared to PS3/360's at a 43/46%.

IGN said it was the best 3D Sonic to date, and the best Sonic since his 2D glory days.

AstroFan

Wii reviews were positive, for a Sonic game atleast. But I personally thought it sucked balls. stick out tongue

Silverstein
lol what i read was that the wii version is basically the same crap with the wii mote gimmick...

General Kaliero
lol what i read was that the wii version is basically the same crap with the wii mote gimmick...

Well, in my and many others' opinion, what you read was wrong. I highly suggest getting some first-hand experience before forming such strong opinions as "It sucked balls."

It's an entirely different game, and while the controls are not perfect by any means, they are much better than the PS3/360 game.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Well, in my and many others' opinion, what you read was wrong. I highly suggest getting some first-hand experience before forming such strong opinions as "It sucked balls."

It's an entirely different game, and while the controls are not perfect by any means, they are much better than the PS3/360 game.

If anything the Wii version deserves the benefit of the doubt since it's the first time they made a Sonic game like that. The 360/PS3 version has no excuse.

Besides the Wii game only had a year to do it. They were being rushed from the start.

JToTheP
How the hell does Sonic and The Secret Rings affect Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games?

InnerRise
It doesn't. Off topic as usual. closedeyes

pinkfloydkor
i think nintendo just needs a game with high profile characters in it, and since there are only 2 games that are being looked forward to, (mario galaxy and SSBB) i think they needed another one

and i know alot of hardcore mario fans that also love sonic, so i bet this game sells well whether its good or not

Darth Jello
lest we not forget Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, Phantom Hourglass, and 4 other major character games games that are either rumored to be in developement or awaiting localization (Four Swords DS, Metroid Dread, Tingle RPG, Kid Icarus 3, and the next Wii Zelda)

ESB -1138
Not to mention the new NiGHTS game, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and games that third party developers want to make to be Wii exclusives.

MadMel
yea pretty much all of those..
i personally cant wait for battalion wars 2
but i cant find an official release date sad

Silverstein
nintendo has been running the same characters and the same shit for years, mario, zelda, metroid, thats fkin it.

InnerRise
And it seems to still be working for them. wink

MadMel
yep...classical is the way to go for videogames, it seems..just add a touch or 2, or "gimmiks" as you call them, and nintendo is set..

Silverstein
its just kid friendly, and parents that grew up seeing mario can never let go, so they get their kids to play mario. I personally haven't felt anything like Xbox Live before, i don't think you can top it, PS3's support is backing away from PS3, and all the wii has is virtua console...and gimmick of games

its actually refreshing to see new original games come out

MadMel
tell that to the 5 or so horror games coming out for wii in the next 2 years stick out tongue
then again i supose that they're just aiming at all kind of audiences

((The_Anomaly))
its just kid friendly, and parents that grew up seeing mario can never let go, so they get their kids to play mario. I personally haven't felt anything like Xbox Live before, i don't think you can top it, PS3's support is backing away from PS3, and all the wii has is virtua console...and gimmick of games

its actually refreshing to see new original games come out

I'm sorry to ask, but what in the hell are you talking about exactly? Are you attempting to say that Xbox360 somehow has "new" games? What the f**k?

Because you know...FPS are SO new to the game industry, I mean...how many FPS has there been since Goldeneye on the N64? Maybe like 10 or 15, yea...its such a fresh style of game those FPS...and Online!!!! My word! thats never been done! Nah...PC hasn't done it for the past 10 years...pfft, Noooo...its perfectly new. Common man, who are you trying to kid here? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mostly though I want you to explain to me what you mean by "gimmicky". You seem set on calling everything on the Wii a "Gimmick" but with no good reason. Are you simply mad that Nintendo has sold half of what 360 sold in a year in like 5 months? Or have you just not played a Wii yet? I have no idea but calling something a "gimmick" without even playing it, and with no good reason is basis for a "GTFO" or a "STFU" from me.

Silverstein
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I'm sorry to ask, but what in the hell are you talking about exactly? Are you attempting to say that Xbox360 somehow has "new" games? What the f**k?

Because you know...FPS are SO new to the game industry, I mean...how many FPS has there been since Goldeneye on the N64? Maybe like 10 or 15, yea...its such a fresh style of game those FPS...and Online!!!! My word! thats never been done! Nah...PC hasn't done it for the past 10 years...pfft, Noooo...its perfectly new. Common man, who are you trying to kid here? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mostly though I want you to explain to me what you mean by "gimmicky". You seem set on calling everything on the Wii a "Gimmick" but with no good reason. Are you simply mad that Nintendo has sold half of what 360 sold in a year in like 5 months? Or have you just not played a Wii yet? I have no idea but calling something a "gimmick" without even playing it, and with no good reason is basis for a "GTFO" or a "STFU" from me.

yep xbox360 owns, not just with the FPS. personally, i dont take PC's seriously when it comes to gaming, its just too expensive to be able to play games, you need a high-end computer. I haven't seen anyone at school w/ a wii besides 2 people, so i dont know where you're getting your statistics from. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ESB -1138

pinkfloydkor
and not even mentioning that the top 3 sold over 3 million and Smash Bros sold over 6 million!

ESB -1138
Not to mention that Xbox 360 has been out for a year now and the Wii has been out since November and 360 has sold 10 million consoles and the Wii has sold 6 million.

Lana
Um, guys?

Exactly what does this have to do with the topic?

Absolutely nothing.

So drop it.

MadMel
yea ok..
fun while it lasted though
anyways, anyone know a release date for this??

Silverstein

InnerRise
Why even bring this in here. You're basically looking for trouble.

It's off topic and it has been said more than once already to keep this thread on topic.

Carry on. doped

Silverstein
k sorry InnerRise, and whomever i offended

anyways!, Sonic vs Mario, now that is classic!!

ESB -1138
first of all, mario parties 1-10 are basically the same, with minor updates, it doesn't equal up to be a new game altogether. I don't find anything amazing about Nintendo's game library, its just mario, mario mario over and over and over. and arcade compilations/anthology games don't count. anyways....XBOX360 IS ELITE, PS3 is 2nd place. that is all.

AND i find it funny that, gamecube LOST the last console wars, it wasn't even worth mentioning, it was all about PS2 vs. XBOX

360 is elite? PS3 is 2nd? I'd like to see you site your sources. The 360 has been out since '05 and has managed to sell 10 million units. The Wii has been out since '06 (incase you can't do math, which I doubt you can, that's a year's difference) and it managed to sell 6 million consoles (plus Wii sales have more then doubles PS3).

Face it, Microsoft will be second, Nintendo is on top.

yea ok..
fun while it lasted though
anyways, anyone know a release date for this??

Nah, no release date has been confirmed. All it said about a release date is fall 2007. Hmm...you know the characters will have to be "drained" of their powers for a lot of the events. I mean come on, the 100 meter race. Sonic would pwn everyone unless they zapped him of some of his speed.

MadMel
and Mario would win the hammer toss XD!

General Kaliero
ESB, Silverstein, please, leave it. If you want to argue console wars, do so in PMs.

Back on topic, Peach would win the long jump, unless her parasol was confiscated.

MadMel
nah she can do that floaty thing...then again, tails can fly..would that be allowed?

General Kaliero
Knuckles can glide as well, come to think of it.

MadMel
yea, plus robotnik *cough*cough*cough* eggman has his flying thingy

ESB -1138
Sonic can't swim so...yeah.

((The_Anomaly))
yep xbox360 owns, not just with the FPS. personally, i dont take PC's seriously when it comes to gaming, its just too expensive to be able to play games, you need a high-end computer. I haven't seen anyone at school w/ a wii besides 2 people, so i dont know where you're getting your statistics from. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yea the 360 "owns"...if its not being repared by Microsoft for the umpteenth time. I'll say 360 is a good system once Microsoft starts making systems that WORK on a regular basis, until then it hardly "owns" anything except the Microsoft tech support who constantly have to repair them. And where am I getting statistics from? Go check IGN. Wii has been outselling both PS3 AND 360 on a month to month basis in 2007, troll.

InnerRise
Even with Peach's Umbrella, she's not particularly good enough a jumper to get enough air(high enough) for it to be of much use.

Long Jumping Contestants stay relatively close to the ground....unless this game isn't meant to be realistic in all of its events if any.

ESB -1138
Even with Peach's Umbrella, she's not particularly good enough a jumper to get enough air(high enough) for it to be of much use.

Long Jumping Contestants stay relatively close to the ground....unless this game isn't meant to be realistic in all of its events if any.

Mario has a good long jump (plus triple jump). Not to mention Knuckles' gliding ability and Sonic's homing attacking.

InnerRise
I doubt they'd allow them to use any of their powers in these events anyway, such as Gliding and Triple Jumps and Floating Umbrellas.

Did they allow any of that in the Mario Party Games? I don't know. Never played any.

I believe each character will do as good as the human person controlling it.

Maybe some will be a little faster or stronger or whatever, but nothing to the extreme.

pinkfloydkor
im wondering if the "events" that they do are even going to be based on real Olympic events. Maybe nintendo is creating their own?

ESB -1138
Originally posted by pinkfloydkor
im wondering if the "events" that they do are even going to be based on real Olympic events. Maybe nintendo is creating their own?

The game is set to take place at the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, and will feature locations based on the official venues for sporting events during the Games.

((The_Anomaly))
Mario and team FTW!!!

MadMel
laughing out loud

((The_Anomaly))
Happy Dance

ESB -1138
Mario and team FTW!!!

Ha! Sonic and co will take down Mario and his little gang. Sonic has the 100 meter race in the bag!!

((The_Anomaly))
Ha! Sonic and co will take down Mario and his little gang. Sonic has the 100 meter race in the bag!!

Pfft, Mario's got shotput, javilin, high-jump, swimming, tennis, and almost every other sport in the bag. Mario and Co. play everything.

ESB -1138
Pfft, Mario's got shotput, javilin, high-jump, swimming, tennis, and almost every other sport in the bag. Mario and Co. play everything.

Tails got the high-jump! Amy also has the little hammer flip thingie.

Chaos has swimming. He can just become the water and devour Mario! And please I would like to see Mario's team even try to beat Sonic's team at football: Knuckles and Shadow alone would crush them.

Silverstein
yeah man, sick

((The_Anomaly))
Tails got the high-jump! Amy also has the little hammer flip thingie.

Chaos has swimming. He can just become the water and devour Mario! And please I would like to see Mario's team even try to beat Sonic's team at football: Knuckles and Shadow alone would crush them.

I'm pretty sure flying is against the rules in a jumping contest stick out tongue So tails has nothing. wink

I dunno about the football thing though. Sonics fast, but he ain't taking down Bowser or Wario. Sonics teams got the Speed, Mario's teams got the strength.

ESB -1138
I'm pretty sure flying is against the rules in a jumping contest stick out tongue So tails has nothing. wink

I dunno about the football thing though. Sonics fast, but he ain't taking down Bowser or Wario. Sonics teams got the Speed, Mario's teams got the strength.

Shadow can flip a truck with one hand and Knuckles breaks through boulders for fun. Bowser and Wario will get pwned against Shadow and Knuckles.

((The_Anomaly))
I doubt that. Bower is huge. And a physical powerhouse. So is Wario, but less so then Bowser.

ESB -1138
I doubt that. Bower is huge. And a physical powerhouse. So is Wario, but less so then Bowser.

Mario can throw Bowser around like a ragdoll. Knuckles would be capable of doing that if Mario can.

InnerRise
I highly doubt Mario can THROW Bowser around. no expression

I'm pretty much SURE of it. ermm

General Kaliero
You've never played Super Mario 64 then, Inner. Every boss battle against Bowser involves grabbing him by the tail, spinning in a circle, and throwing him off the battle platform.

MadMel
im pretty sure he was being sarcastic gk stick out tongue

ESB -1138
I dunno. It's hard to tell on the computer.

kamikz
Mario can throw Bowser around like a ragdoll. Knuckles would be capable of doing that if Mario can.

Or maybe Mario is just damn strong, stronger than most give him credit for. I for one, see him tossing Bowser in Super Mario 64 as a plus to his strenght, more then a minus to Bowsers weight...

MadMel
plus he lifted that king bomb at the beginning..being made of metal, he'd be a lot heavier than bowser
but then again knuckles could pretty much be as strong, he could lift massive boulders

((The_Anomaly))
Mario is 1337...and its time for the world to accept it. stick out tongue

MadMel
those with sense already do

ESB -1138
Originally posted by kamikz
Or maybe Mario is just damn strong, stronger than most give him credit for. I for one, see him tossing Bowser in Super Mario 64 as a plus to his strenght, more then a minus to Bowsers weight...

And Shadow flipped a large bus with a single hand with very little ease. And Knuckles is as strong as Shadow if not stronger so I'm sure those two can throw Bowser around like I mentioned before.

pinkfloydkor
hmm, i just found out this is coming out on DS as well

i hope they dont comletely screw it up like they did to Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the gameboy, that game was sooo horrible

InnerRise
It has been stated previously that this game is coming to both DS and Wii and the DS will take advantage of it and it will not be some flimsy port.

pinkfloydkor

MadMel
hmm....nice stick out tongue

ESB -1138
nice

InnerRise
Surely all of those events won't be in the actual game will they?

MadMel
you never know erm

pinkfloydkor
if its based on the real events happening at the real olympics, i dont see why they shouldnt include most of those

there is only a few exeptions, such as Synchronized swimming and Water Polo

and i doubt they have Gymnastics or Cycling

ESB -1138
Knuckles would be best for boxing with those huge hands and claws on his knuckles.

MadMel
sonic would be best at running obviously
and mario would own at hammer toss laughing out loud

pinkfloydkor
hahah, i would love to see Wario do gymnastics big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.