TimeTravel from Middle Age

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kaldorei
I know that time-traveling is impossible and probably will be for a long time. However, I got this thought that started playing with my mind and I would like to hear what people at this forum thought about the idea.

What if:
A medieval knight, let us say, 500 A.D. would find a gap in time and space. He is thrown 1507 years forward in time and arrives at this specific date.

How would he react and how would he behave? Would he survive and how long? confused

I know this thread might go to the abyss of all-forgotten topics and die after about 1 or 2 replies (which might not even be related to the topic), but I just wanted to ease my heart and post this. Hopefully I get some decent replies smile

Feel free to have a discussion, everyone big grin

ragesRemorse
He would probably go into psychological shock. I am sure he wouldnt have a problem surviving. However, i highly doubt any soul in this present day would believe his story. If he were somehoe able to convince everyone that he was indeed from the middle ages, he would become a lab mouse for a good portion of his life. MOdern science would go through many changes aswell as societies beliefs in general, if time travel were prove to be possible.

So unless he diddnt accidently kill himself somehow by walking into traffic, confronting the wrong person or drinking antifreeze, he would probably result in becomming a very dull person who was unable to fully accept what has happend to him.

I bet much could be learned from him though. I think it's a good post kaldorel, i'll help keep it out of the KMC abyss with you

Mindship
I once saw a Twilight Zone episode where a man from around the 1870s got transported into a modern city. Other than the usual What's-going-on, Where-am-I, What-are-all-these-devices stuff usually associated with time-travel stories, this one focused on an aspect of modern life we rarely attune to these days:

The guy from the past went nuts because he couldn't stand all the noise.

Kaldorei
Well, we do put up with a lot of noise. I am sure that most people in the middle age did not and it could make him reach a breaking point and go all mad confused

However, considering the fact that he is from the past, he coud not really understand that he have ventured in time and would not be able to talk it into others.

That is, unless he ask someone what year it is. What if he decided to ask for the year or time (Even though I do not believe he would figure anytime soon that he have actualy traveled in time), then you have to ask yourself the question, would anyone of the daily people understand him? He is from 1507 years back in time and and human language skills have changed. He might even come into a different country and have a totaly different speech, considering how large latin and french were at that time.

I myself do not believe I would be able to communicate with the man.

Symmetric Chaos
The reverse of a Yankee in KingArthur's court huh?

He'd go nuts probably.

Ushgarak
I think he'd be quite used to it, seeing as a medieval knight would have had to have time travelled to be in 500 AD in the first place.

Kaldorei
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I think he'd be quite used to it, seeing as a medieval knight would have had to have time travelled to be in 500 AD in the first place.

He would? Oh embarrasment I am not good with years. When was the time of the knight's, then? confused

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The reverse of a Yankee in KingArthur's court huh?

He'd go nuts probably.

I think so too, but however, I think he would learn to adapt really fast. By fast, I mean that he would accept the fact after about a week. He could never possibly feel at home, since he have grown up in the middle ages where cars had not even been thought of. Modern time society would probably tear his mind into pieces, but I do not think it would be unrepairable smile

Also, one would have to hope he met the right kind of people before he met the wrong kind. Considering the status of a knight in the middle age and he got attacked by a pack of thugs, I do not think today's court would be quite as understanding as that times court. Despite that he have traveled in time, he is still fully capable of fighting and defending himself and I believe he easily could end up in jail.

Ushgarak
12th to 15th century is a good time.

chillmeistergen
depends where he'd time travel to, if it was the location he was in at the time then he wouldn't be knocking about the U.S. Say if it was eastern Europe it probably wouldn't seem that different lol.

pcp
If he time travelled to Wales then he'd find it primitive.

Tangible God
A knight from the Middle Ages would most likely be speaking Old English, so he'd have a hard time communicating with anybody anyway. If he appeared in a city, it wouldn't be long before he was hit by a car, or arrested. From there, if no language historian recognized his language, he'd be tossed into an asylum.

pcp
Why would he bit hit by a car. Just 'cos he's from the middle ages it doesn't make him an idiot.

Kaldorei
I most certainly do not believe he would get hit by a car. He may never have seen one before, but he most certainly would not walk up in front of one. I believe he would on the other hand, try to get as far away as the cars as possible. After all, he have never seen anything of it's kind before. It is shiny, noisy and got no horses. A devil's spawn.

Well, who knows. He might try to fight them of, in an attempt to save the world. After all, nobility and courage is a virtue of the knight. He might be a devoted knight smile confused

Tangible God
A knight would be hit by a car a lot sooner than anyone nowadays. And a lot of people get hit by cars.

pcp
Are you saying that Sir Eltion John is more likely to be hit by a car than me?

Kaldorei
Originally posted by Tangible God
A knight would be hit by a car a lot sooner than anyone nowadays. And a lot of people get hit by cars.

If you do not mind me asking:

Why?

pcp
A medieval knight would be much more cautious than any modern person, therefore he'd be less likely to be hit by a car, but if he's still wearing that's knight's armour then he's gonna get mugged or beaten up on the tube.

Kaldorei
Well, when I created the thread I had this picture of him walking around with armor, sword and shield (Not in hand. Sheeted of course) yes

Ushgarak
Hang on, why is it being assumed he is an English knight?

chillmeistergen
He'd be a welcome member at my loclal bowles club

pcp
He'd just wonder about. He'd try to talk to people but no one would understand him.

chillmeistergen
Hang on, why is it being assumed he is an English knight?

Well he wouldn't be American, because America was not yet discovered and the term Knight usually applies to a knight of the English realm, as it was coined by this.

Ushgarak
DOES it? Since when does it 'usually' apply to English people?

I think you will find the major medieval Knight orders were from the continent.

chillmeistergen
DOES it? Since when does it 'usually' apply to English people?

I think you will find the major medieval Knight orders were from the continent.

I'm probably wrong, I'm not a history buff. I can't see anywhere where it was said that this knight was English anyway, I think the only person assuming that is you and maybe one other at most.

pcp
I think he'd be a South African knight, but oddly, with a sort of Portugese accent. Sort of like my mate Pedro.

Symmetric Chaos
What about criminal behavior by the good kinght?

What if he over reacts to being told he can't walk around with his weapon in public?

Kaldorei
I had an european knight in mind, as far as concerned smile I did not think much about origin, since I did not think it would matter much.

Is it illegal to walk around with plate, shield and sword? confused

If he decided to fight people that opposed him, he would probably get shot very soon. I hightly doubt he would obey the policemen, even if they said they were among the good guy confused

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by pcp
He'd just wonder about. He'd try to talk to people but no one would understand him.

why not? i think people would get his general point after deciphering through the old english. If i can understand a crackhead i'm sure i would get the general idea of an old knights direction. He would have a much harder time understanding us than we would have understanding him.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I'm probably wrong, I'm not a history buff. I can't see anywhere where it was said that this knight was English anyway, I think the only person assuming that is you and maybe one other at most.

I didn't; everyone assuming he is speaking an older version of English is.

Tangible God
Well what type of knight would it be? The classic chivalrous type, or the type in title only?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Tangible God
Well what type of knight would it be? The classic chivalrous type, or the type in title only?

Weren't most of them less than chivalrous?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.