Chess Tourny

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Redatom65
Here we have it. The Beyonder has arranged for the dumbest characters in comics to square off in a game of chess. If they flip the board they are annihilated.

We'll start with round 1 match 1. All contestants can not reverse themselves to a smarter state if possible and each contestant know at least the basics to the game.

Round 1 Match 1

Rhino
v.s
Maxxed out Maul

Round 1 Match 2
Juggernaut
v.s
Bizarro

Kaldorei
I will hold my thumbs for Juggernaut, because I like him the most big grin

Besides, Juggernaut is not very stupid. He is just not very smart either stick out tongue

Newjak
Originally posted by Redatom65
Here we have it. The Beyonder has arranged for the dumbest characters in comics to square off in a game of chess. If they flip the board they are annihilated.

We'll start with round 1 match 1. All contestants can not reverse themselves to a smarter state if possible and each contestant know at least the basics to the game.

Round 1 Match 1

Rhino
v.s
Maxxed out Maul

Round 1 Match 2
Juggernaut
v.s
Bizarro I don't know much about Maxxed out Maul but Cain is far from Dumb is of average intelligence maybe even a little better. He would more than likely beat any of these guys in chess.

Well at least Bizarro or Rhino for sure.

Redatom65
Originally posted by Newjak
I don't know much about Maxxed out Maul but Cain is far from Dumb is of average intelligence maybe even a little better. He would more than likely beat any of these guys in chess.

Last time I read something on Juggernaut, it said he had a 1 out of 7 intelligence placing him below the normal intellect which was 2...

Newjak
Originally posted by Redatom65
Last time I read something on Juggernaut, it said he had a 1 out of 7 intelligence placing him below the normal intellect which was 2... Really because on panel Cain Marko is the far from an idiot. Just look at some of his fights with Thor. In one he actually manages to use Thor's own Hammer returning against him to KO the Thunder God.

He can even scheme somewhat. The point is Cain has never been shown to be stupid average yes but not stupid. The point where Cain appears stupid is in the use of his powers. He could be a lot tougher a foe if he learned how to use his powers better.

Kaldorei
Out of what I have seen, Juggernaut is not stupid confused He rely on brute strength, that is all.

redhotrash
Juggernaut wins because I think hes the only one who knows how the chess pieces move.

Kaldorei
He said all players know the basics.

However, I still believe in Juggernaut big grin

shksprtx
Match 1: Maul

Match 2: Juggernaut

guy222
maul
cain

psycho gundam
some very obvious problems here;

-juggernaut is not dumb at all, he is just a bully that recognises he can't be reprimanded so he continues bullying.
-maul's power is growing bigger and his anger grows etc. he won't be able to play with the small pieces so, he loses from that or the inevitable frustration of having to play with too small pieces thus wreaking the board.

-rhino's intelligence depends on the writer. he is no victor von doom but he can at least play an average game of chess.

off hand characters far dumber that could have been chosen:
-caliban
-hobo demolition man (aka d-man)
-ape(morlock)
-old skull (night shift)
-savage hulk
etc

character that might not win a game against a regular player:
-jubilee
-beast boy
-tabitha smith
-flash (not using powers)
etc

janus77
Originally posted by Newjak
I don't know much about Maxxed out Maul but Cain is far from Dumb is of average intelligence maybe even a little better. He would more than likely beat any of these guys in chess.

oh shit, I would so hate to live in your world if Cain passes for "average" intelligence no. Savage Hulk is smarter than Cain, more imaginative too.

Juggernaut is dumb. pretty much the only thing of note with him, personality-wise.

anyway, back on-topic, great concept, I'm gonna say Juggernaut can win the chess tourney as he is the least retarded of the bunch.

xJLxKing
Match 1= Maul
Match 2= Bizzaro

Silent Master
Maul gets dumb as he gets bigger.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by janus77
oh shit, I would so hate to live in your world if Cain passes for "average" intelligence no. Savage Hulk is smarter than Cain, more imaginative too.

Juggernaut is dumb. pretty much the only thing of note with him, personality-wise.

anyway, back on-topic, great concept, I'm gonna say Juggernaut can win the chess tourney as he is the least retarded of the bunch.

juggernaut is not dumb, anyone that could make jokes about his opponent on the fly has some sort of wit, his main problem are his anger issues. he an assh0le for god sakes

a being as strong as he doesn't need plans to beat his opponents.

janus77
juggernaut is patently dumb, come on. not only does he not plan, which you excuse by citing his strength, but also he demonstrates zero imagination, flair, creativity ... the wit is intermittent, like the flickering of a light bulb, the wattage is permanently low though.

he only 'knows' that he is "unstoppable" and that he cannot be hurt, and neither of those two presumptions hold water. he definitely is below average, or god help us all if the bulk of humanity equates to that low a specimen of sentient life no expression.

psycho gundam
whats he supposed to plan for? his opponents plan against him.

the character of juggernaut is that of a bully with the powers of a god.
he had a crappy childhood and felt inferior to his genius brother.
he just acts like a common bully, who mind you can't be beaten up.

sure he is a common thug but he was also part of several x-teams and they have educational facilities in their compouds, impretty sure he stumbled on some knowledge in his stays there, it's not like he has to work out when they aren't on missions.

janus77
yes he is a bully, but he is definitely quite dim. planning aside, what are his overall objectives, what does he actually aim to do with that power?

he has no imagination or big picture, and the average human being most certainly does have such capacity and talent. think about all the geeks that play WarCraft or venture onto 2Life... they have imagination and can envision dramatically different situations and norms, just that most are content with what they have or have little power to alter their circumstances in the face of institutional obstruction.

TricksterPriest
Did you just claim Hulk is smarter than Juggs? laughing

janus77
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Did you just claim Hulk is smarter than Juggs? laughing
in-battle, yes. he's whacked Cain around quite well.

remember Savage Hulk still retains intuitive battle ability.

DigiMark007
Maul would lose to Rhino. He's actually incredibly intelligent when small, but he's probably more mindless than Hulk when he's maxed out.

Rhino's an idiot, but I'd trust him to, say, at least understand the game. Maxed out Maul, not so much.

psycho gundam
including wwh, hulks fights displays astonishing cunning in battle, for example recognizing the momentum of the juggernaut to get rid of him.
----------------

what i'm arguing is the word dumb.
dumb means slow and unintelligent, like a person with mental challenges. he lacks them unless you diagnose jealousy and envy as a mental disorder. again, juggernaut is a thug that doesn't need to change his ways cause his powers negate almost all harm, therefor guns and tech are pointless to him.

you stated that he lacks a personal goal, that is false.he wants to get even with charles xavier for the childhood he had.
remember the saying "beat you like a red headed stepchild"? yeah he was one of those kids, and a brother by marriage that so happened to be a genius didn't help his case. then on top of that, he discovers that his genius brother is in fact a telepathic mutant only provided more anger and resentment for him to harbor for the rest of his life.

psycho gundam
juggernaut needs therapy just as much as the sentry does, and he isn't dumb either.

janus77
you see, that's a good comparison. Sentry is troubled, just like Cain, but Sentry has a fairly pedestrian/average intellect, he's no genius nor particularly deep but he has some grasp of the world around him, his powers and something of a purpose - even if he can't step out of his house most days.

Sentry is quite a morbid, depressed character, he obviously has an 'inner life', he thinks about situations, about interactions and about his own being... but he has nothing remarkable to offer as a result of his ruminations, which is why he is average.

Cain on the other hand is ... well ... dumb, he's slow, quite obviously insecure, envious and narrow in his thinking, so much so that he can't even have a moment of introspection.

without 'reading into' the character, I would say he's just a 2D big dumb villain, who has been kept around.

psycho gundam
im telling you it's the magic that makes characters act brash.
for instance the wreaking crew are a bunch of chemists/researchers
that got magic strength/durability from loki and all of a sudden you see
bulldozer ramming his once precious egghead against brick walls.
it seems to be the napoleon complex or something for example any of those school shootings in america, some meager child gets sudden power and uses it all wrong.

janus77
lol, I like that magic theory, you've definitely got a point wrt Wrecking Crew.

I can see how it might be so for Cain too, afterall the Cyttorak charm is powered by an evil god and was for malign purposes... so it possibly could affect the reasoning of whomever it enchants.

napoleon complex is all us short people have, other than a free pass when we're caught staring at a girl's bosom (their faces are usually above our eye-line sad ).

psycho gundam
damn, average height for females is like 160 cm(5'5" for americans)

janus77
maybe it's just the girls I meet? confused

psycho gundam
whatever, juggernaut is not "dumb" big grin

janus77
lol,
k, he's just 'special'? smile

Mindset
Cain is actually smarter than Thanos, Reed, Pym, and Doom combined.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.